Elon Law- Current Students?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cmartin5970

Elon Law- Current Students?

Postby cmartin5970 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:02 pm

I am strongly considering attending Elon Law next year and was wondering if there were any current Elon students. Also my scholarship requires I maintain a 3.0 and was wondering for input regarding how difficult/easy it is to maintain a 3.0

MrMcAllister

Re: Elon Law- Current Students?

Postby MrMcAllister » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:27 pm

There are a few Elon students here. Generally, a 3.0 on a 4.0 curve will require you to maintain around a B average. The difficulty of doing this will depend on the performance of your class since the curve operates in a manner of allocating grades based on a comparison of each students' performance. With that said, I've heard of the Elon administration working with students on a few occasions to help them maintain their scholarship (i.e. relaxing the standard to something like 2.7); and I've heard of no one losing or receiving a reduced scholarship. Then again, it's not exactly like people go around talking about losing their scholarships.

I would roughly estimate that the top 50% maintain a GPA at or above 3.0. Hope that helps.

TurgidWorm

Postby TurgidWorm » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:52 pm

Maintaining a 3.0 GPA is not too difficult as long as you take school seriously. I am a current 3L and the lowest grade I have ever received in a class is a 3.0 B. You just have to take school seriously and stay on top of your reading. You generally will want to do this for your future employment prospects.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:49 am

cmartin5970 wrote:I am strongly considering attending Elon Law next year and was wondering if there were any current Elon students. Also my scholarship requires I maintain a 3.0 and was wondering for input regarding how difficult/easy it is to maintain a 3.0

Neither of the posters above really came close to answering your question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_la ... GPA_curves
http://www.nalplawschoolsonline.org/ndl ... 07&yr=2010

According to that, the curve at Elon is 3.39. That means that the 50th percentile gets a 3.39. You need a 2.8 to graduate, so the bottom of the class will have a 2.8 Using those two figures at points, you should be able to maintain your scholarship with well below median grades, probably around the 20-25th percentile line.

MrMcAllister wrote:There are a few Elon students here. Generally, a 3.0 on a 4.0 curve will require you to maintain around a B average. The difficulty of doing this will depend on the performance of your class since the curve operates in a manner of allocating grades based on a comparison of each students' performance. With that said, I've heard of the Elon administration working with students on a few occasions to help them maintain their scholarship (i.e. relaxing the standard to something like 2.7); and I've heard of no one losing or receiving a reduced scholarship. Then again, it's not exactly like people go around talking about losing their scholarships.

I would roughly estimate that the top 50% maintain a GPA at or above 3.0. Hope that helps.

Do you have any source at all for the bolded? According to the NALP link I posted just above your quote, the minimum GPA to graduate from Elon is 2.8. I do not think your suggestion that they relax the standard is accurate at all, especially considering the number you threw out is below the GPA required to graduate.

MrMcAllister

Postby MrMcAllister » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:03 pm

It appears that the data you have with respect to a 2.8 GPA requirement for graduation is either outdated and/or false. Elon Law is abandoning the 4.3 curve. The Elon Law Catalog resource, made available on the Elon Law website, shows that the classes of 2013 and beyond will be subject to a 4.0 curve with a 2.0 requirement for graduation. You can find it here: http://www.elon.edu/docs/e-web/law/acad ... atalog.pdf

The relevant pages are 15, 16, 22, and 23, and information about the grading scale can be found on pages 28-30.

I don't recall the individuals who told me that the Elon administration has worked with students on helping them keep scholarships, but I have heard it from multiple students who were at risk of losing their scholarships. Scholarship agreements are renewed each year, and I can't state for a certainty that the GPA requirement to maintain a scholarship was lowered when I entered my second year, although I do vaguely recall something of the sort occurring. If I have some time, I may look for my scholarship renewal to see if I can give a more precise answer.

On page 30, the document shows that a 3.0 is the equivalent of a B, and the average grade for 1L courses must be between a 2.8 and 3.0. To answer the initial question to the best of my ability, I would say that earning a 3.0 would be however difficult it is to be at the middle/higher end of average and above. Again, this depends on the make-up of the class and the talents/work ethic of the individual who is trying to maintain a 3.0 or above. If the entire class is brilliant and hard working, and you are only of average intelligence and do no work, it may be extremely difficult to maintain a 3.0. It's nearly impossible to predict how well someone will do without knowing more about the person and the class make-up (which, at this point, is unknown).

Personally, I think law school grading is generally a crapshoot. I know several star performers in the classroom who are ranked at the bottom of the class, but those people appear to be "gunners." I've personally performed in a manner that I consider to be poor by my standards in a class when I left the exam feeling as if I knew absolutely everything on it; I've left other exams thinking I failed and done fairly well. I've seen people get an A in really tough classes without doing hardly any of the assigned cases just because someone hooked them up with a good outline before the exam. With this perspective, it becomes even more difficult to predict how well someone will do because it isn't really always about hard work. You can kill yourself mastering all of civil procedure, but if the main portion of the exam is a question about summary judgment, and you know everything but that one aspect of civil procedure, then you probably won't do so well despite having worked hard.

Maintaining above a 3.0 isn't just about hard work. It's also about luck, knowing the material, applying the material well, knowing the professor and how they want essays structured, and having good organizational skills. Some of those things aren't particularly difficult, but they can make a massive difference in how well a student performs. But that's just my perspective.

I hope this helps.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”