can you get $$ from law schools by threatening to transfer? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
inkincorporate

New

can you get $$ from law schools by threatening to transfer?

Post by inkincorporate » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:01 pm

I'm a 1L at Fordham Law, and I'm currently attending with no aid. I'm not taking that much in loans because I have a fair amount saved to pay for law school. I did very well this semester, and I should be able to transfer to either NYU or Columbia. However, I really like Fordham and I would like to stay there. Assuming I get an acceptance from NYU or Columbia, would it be feasible to use that acceptance as leverage to try to get some financial aid from Fordham, and if yes, how should I go about doing that? Thanks for your help!

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Re: can you get $$ from law schools by threatening to transfer?

Post by Fark-o-vision » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:06 pm

I think "threatening" might be the wrong word here, but I have heard of it happening. In fact, I think (not sure) that USD is fairly famous for this. Not sure about Fordham specifically, however.

inkincorporate

New

Post by inkincorporate » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:07 pm

Yes, threatening might be a little harsh. I'm planning on politely suggesting that I may transfer lol

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:10 pm

From Fordham, almost certainly not. You also risk burning bridges in the administration by trying.

This comes up every year, and every year a few people try, and basically none of them succeed, and close to literally non succeed from Tier 1(ish) schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”