UChicago and the Chicago legal market

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
redbullvodka

UChicago and the Chicago legal market

Postby redbullvodka » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Have a question about the "ties" in Chicago. It's talked about on here a lot as a market that needs more ties than DC or NYC, but is attending UChi sufficient? Recently was accepted and will be attending, and would love to practice in Chicago -- the city, from everything I've read, seen, and heard from family and friends, seems to be preferable to DC/NYC, but I don't have any strong ties to the city itself. Is this going to be a significant problem? Might be a very hard question to answer, but I'd appreciate any insight if anyone on here can offer some.

Re: UChicago and the Chicago legal market

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:37 pm

redbullvodka wrote:Have a question about the "ties" in Chicago. It's talked about on here a lot as a market that needs more ties than DC or NYC, but is attending UChi sufficient? Recently was accepted and will be attending, and would love to practice in Chicago -- the city, from everything I've read, seen, and heard from family and friends, seems to be preferable to DC/NYC, but I don't have any strong ties to the city itself. Is this going to be a significant problem? Might be a very hard question to answer, but I'd appreciate any insight if anyone on here can offer some.

Judging from people's experience at Northwestern, they are still going to ask you "why Chicago?" in interviews. Your answer should be "I fell in love with the city from day one, I came to U of C because I wanted to be in Chicago, and I have family here." That should enough.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:39 pm

Attending UChicago will probably be sufficient to establish ties, but you will still need to be able to convince the interviewers at OCI that you want to be in Chicago long term. "I really like the city" probably won't cut it. Still, you should be able to come up with some reasons. Spending your 1L summer in Chicago will be very helpful.

On the bright side, even if you strike out at Chicago firms, attending UChicago will give you portability to go pretty much anywhere you do have ties to. And New York City. You'll probably want to bid more than one market just in case that happens.

funkyturds

Postby funkyturds » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:54 am

From anecdotal evidence, it seems like you still need a convincing answer for "why Chicago" besides attending UChi.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”