Dogs in Law School

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Xvimic

Re: Dogs in Law School

Postby Xvimic » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:55 am

I've got a 9 year old 85lbs. Golden retriever that is coming with me from Hawaii to St. Louis when I start school this fall. The biggest problem seems to be finding a place that is dog friendly and of course you can't dorm. Other than that, provided you are already used to the added expense the dog entails I don't seem much of an issue.

Dislaw

Postby Dislaw » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:06 am

sweetstuff1555 wrote:So is there anyone currently in law school who can comment on what it is like to have a dog during law school? I am desperate to take my Papillon with me, but everyone is telling me that I will have zero time for her. She doesn't need a lot of attention or exercise, but I just want to know if anyone else has had a successful experience with their dogs. I'm not worried about finding an apartment, CA is notorious for being fairly dog friendly, so I don't think I will have any issues.

Hi from one papillon owner to another! I'm bringing mine with me...and I don't think he'll be a problem. As long as I can walk him in the morning and when I return in the evening, he will be good.

cylon_clone

Postby cylon_clone » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:22 pm

I have a Scottish terrier mix and a cat. And while the dog was originally bought for me while I was in high school, after I went away to undergrad and studied abroad, he eventually became the family dog.

It's time-consuming and expensive to take care of a dog. My cute terrier mutt is the same size as my cat and he still needs a bunch of exercise and attention - as well as a backyard where he can bark at and chase squirrels. I plan to live in a studio apartment or in a house with a few other people (depending on the law school location) and neither are good places for a dog.

I love my dog and spent my entire childhood with dogs and usually a cat in the household. They add a bit of happiness to the home. But I know I can't dedicate enough time or find am appropriate living space to accommodate a dog, so it wouldn't be fair to drag him along.

I might volunteer at a dog shelter in my new LS area and see if I can walk and play with a few dogs once a week. My undergrad had a program like that for students who left pets behind.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:29 pm

If you can't commit to having a dog, another option is short-term fostering. Just talk to a local rescue

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:30 pm

dingbat wrote:If you can't commit to having a dog, another option is short-term fostering. Just talk to a local rescue

That could work if you can get a dog that's been well trained and cared for. Unfortunately, many such dogs have issues that can make them challenging to care for.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:34 pm

cylon_clone wrote:I have a Scottish terrier mix and a cat. And while the dog was originally bought for me while I was in high school, after I went away to undergrad and studied abroad, he eventually became the family dog.

It's time-consuming and expensive to take care of a dog. My cute terrier mutt is the same size as my cat and he still needs a bunch of exercise and attention - as well as a backyard where he can bark at and chase squirrels. I plan to live in a studio apartment or in a house with a few other people (depending on the law school location) and neither are good places for a dog.

I agree that if you have an older dog who is used to having expansive space and the run of a yard, it could be hard to transition them to an apartment. Still, plenty of people happily raise healthy dogs in apartments. If you're close to school, it should typically be possible to give the pup daytime attention as well as good walks before and after school.

The expense is an issue but, for folk who have a dog, that's an expense they already incur. Insurance can also help to mitigate against unexpected bills.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:17 am

albanach wrote:
dingbat wrote:If you can't commit to having a dog, another option is short-term fostering. Just talk to a local rescue

That could work if you can get a dog that's been well trained and cared for. Unfortunately, many such dogs have issues that can make them challenging to care for.

That's something that can be discussed with the rescue (depending on the organization, of course)

Lvaughn714

Postby Lvaughn714 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:33 pm

I have a 4lb chihuahua that I only recently realized looks a lot like Reese Witherspoons dog in Legally Blonde. And I am a blonde, I'm sure I will get jokes come the fall. The biggest thing I'm worried about is what to do with him over winter break. I'll have to fly home so I guess I'm just going to have to pay the extra fee to fly him with me. No way I'm boarding him for three weeks.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:39 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:I have a 4lb chihuahua that I only recently realized looks a lot like Reese Witherspoons dog in Legally Blonde. And I am a blonde, I'm sure I will get jokes come the fall. The biggest thing I'm worried about is what to do with him over winter break. I'll have to fly home so I guess I'm just going to have to pay the extra fee to fly him with me. No way I'm boarding him for three weeks.

You don't need to pay a fee - If you have an appropriate carrier, he can be your carry-on (check the terms and conditions as this might vary by airline)

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:33 pm

dingbat wrote:
Lvaughn714 wrote:I have a 4lb chihuahua that I only recently realized looks a lot like Reese Witherspoons dog in Legally Blonde. And I am a blonde, I'm sure I will get jokes come the fall. The biggest thing I'm worried about is what to do with him over winter break. I'll have to fly home so I guess I'm just going to have to pay the extra fee to fly him with me. No way I'm boarding him for three weeks.

You don't need to pay a fee - If you have an appropriate carrier, he can be your carry-on (check the terms and conditions as this might vary by airline)

I am flying home right now to get my dog and bring her back to NY. The one way cost is $125 on delta as a carryon. Needless to say I think its worth it, but its certainly not free, even though a pet DOES count as one of your carry on items. I also know it's $100 on alaskan. I'm not sure about other airlines.

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:02 pm

ucbkenn wrote:There might already be a forum about this but I have pretty specific questions about having a dog in law school. I have a Siberian Husky. She's not huge but she's definitely not a chiwauwaa (sp?) either. So this forum goes out to those who have medium/large dogs in law school? How has it worked out so far? Did you have trouble finding a house/apartment/people to live with (that's probably my biggest concern)?

Any info would be great. Thanks!

I have two Siberian Huskies. I think it really depends on where you end up for law school--i.e. is it a city, town, etc. I admit I did take my dogs into account when deciding where to go to law school, in terms of dog-friendly housing nearby (I found Harvard to be particularly unamenable in this regard). I ended up living a bit farther from school than I would have liked, though it's still certainly a manageable commute, and I have a decent-sized yard, which was a big priority for me. I have a dog walker who comes occasionally (any time when I'm going to have to be gone more than eight hours). There are definitely times when I've wanted to do things in law school but couldn't because I had to get home and let the dogs out or feed them. Living within a day's drive of home was also a consideration, since I can't fly with them (obviously too large to go in the cabin, and I would never risk the huge risk of death from them flying in cargo). But it is also nice to have them around--great stress relief. Having to walk them at least an hour a day is occasionally difficult to fit in, but mostly I'm grateful that it forces me to get out and sort of exercise every day.

Are you asking this question because you're trying to decide whether to leave your dog with your parents? Or because it affects which school you choose?

Lvaughn714

Postby Lvaughn714 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:59 pm

JenDarby wrote:
dingbat wrote:

I am flying home right now to get my dog and bring her back to NY. The one way cost is $125 on delta as a carryon. Needless to say I think its worth it, but its certainly not free, even though a pet DOES count as one of your carry on items. I also know it's $100 on alaskan. I'm not sure about other airlines.

It looks like the cheapest is $75 one way with southwest which is what I usually fly anyways. Just hope my little man can handle the two hours stuck in his crate, he is a bit of an attention whore.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:10 pm

My dog is FULL of energy. She will be in a crate for 6 hrs on Sunday on the plane. We'll see how it goes...

GreySkyEyes

Postby GreySkyEyes » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:15 pm

JenDarby wrote:My dog is FULL of energy. She will be in a crate for 6 hrs on Sunday on the plane. We'll see how it goes...

Have you considered some sedatives? Vets will prescribe them... or you can go the natural route, with Bach's Rescue Remedy or similar.. Bach's is easiest because it comes in liquid form with a dropper. I've never used it and flown my dogs, but I do use it when I am on the road with them for more than a few hours and it helps immensely.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:41 pm

GreySkyEyes wrote:
JenDarby wrote:My dog is FULL of energy. She will be in a crate for 6 hrs on Sunday on the plane. We'll see how it goes...

Have you considered some sedatives? Vets will prescribe them... or you can go the natural route, with Bach's Rescue Remedy or similar.. Bach's is easiest because it comes in liquid form with a dropper. I've never used it and flown my dogs, but I do use it when I am on the road with them for more than a few hours and it helps immensely.

i used this on myself during exam time.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:04 am

juliachild-ish wrote:
ucbkenn wrote:There might already be a forum about this but I have pretty specific questions about having a dog in law school. I have a Siberian Husky. She's not huge but she's definitely not a chiwauwaa (sp?) either. So this forum goes out to those who have medium/large dogs in law school? How has it worked out so far? Did you have trouble finding a house/apartment/people to live with (that's probably my biggest concern)?

Any info would be great. Thanks!

I have two Siberian Huskies. I think it really depends on where you end up for law school--i.e. is it a city, town, etc. I admit I did take my dogs into account when deciding where to go to law school, in terms of dog-friendly housing nearby (I found Harvard to be particularly unamenable in this regard). I ended up living a bit farther from school than I would have liked, though it's still certainly a manageable commute, and I have a decent-sized yard, which was a big priority for me. I have a dog walker who comes occasionally (any time when I'm going to have to be gone more than eight hours). There are definitely times when I've wanted to do things in law school but couldn't because I had to get home and let the dogs out or feed them. Living within a day's drive of home was also a consideration, since I can't fly with them (obviously too large to go in the cabin, and I would never risk the huge risk of death from them flying in cargo). But it is also nice to have them around--great stress relief. Having to walk them at least an hour a day is occasionally difficult to fit in, but mostly I'm grateful that it forces me to get out and sort of exercise every day.

Are you asking this question because you're trying to decide whether to leave your dog with your parents? Or because it affects which school you choose?

I've got two his lies as well
One of em gets carsick, so we don't travel well

Charlindrea

Postby Charlindrea » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:37 am

Slightly off-topic, but fun nonetheless, Samford University (Cumberland) has an annual "Bring your dog to school" day.

http://cumberland.samford.edu/admissions/rascal-day

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:22 pm

Where's your brief ? My dog ate it.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:38 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Where's your brief ? My dog ate it.

When I was buying my home, the mortgage broker sent me a bunch of documents to be reviewed and signed. Because no ond was home, the UPS guy left the package in the doorsteps. My guess is that the boys were fighting over it, because by the time I came home the docs were shredded beyond recognition.

The guy kept joking about dogs eating the homework, but I got pissed off because I told the guy to send it to my office.

Now the dogs have their own room

leapincamelleopard

Postby leapincamelleopard » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:59 pm

sweetstuff1555 wrote:So is there anyone currently in law school who can comment on what it is like to have a dog during law school? I am desperate to take my Papillon with me, but everyone is telling me that I will have zero time for her. She doesn't need a lot of attention or exercise, but I just want to know if anyone else has had a successful experience with their dogs. I'm not worried about finding an apartment, CA is notorious for being fairly dog friendly, so I don't think I will have any issues.

I have a papillon and am in my second semester of 1L. It has been fine so far. I recently adopted a second dog (papillon, cavalier king charles mix) to keep him company. First semester I went home at lunch to take him out for a walk but this semester I don't have time so they are alone in my apartment from 8-4:30ish every day. They don't seem to mind.

The only issue it has caused is that I have to go home straight after school everyday. No studying in the library, no attending right after school evening events. For me this isn't really a problem but if you think you will study better in the library, this is a significant problem.

As soon as I get home I take them for a walk and play with them. On weekends I make sure to give them a little extra attention to make up for anything they miss during the week. I am an early riser anyway but you can always get up a little earlier and spend time in the morning before you go to school. You just have to pick your priorities. My priorities are: school -> dog -----> everything else.

Also: yay papillon owners

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:10 pm

Charlindrea wrote:Slightly off-topic, but fun nonetheless, Samford University (Cumberland) has an annual "Bring your dog to school" day.

That's awesome. I already have every intention of sneaking my dog in past security one day.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:23 pm

JenDarby wrote:
Charlindrea wrote:Slightly off-topic, but fun nonetheless, Samford University (Cumberland) has an annual "Bring your dog to school" day.

That's awesome. I already have every intention of sneaking my dog in past security one day.

If I brought Coyote they would cancel this event - he's too much of a troublemaker

sweetstuff1555

Postby sweetstuff1555 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:54 pm

leapincamelleopard wrote:

I have a papillon and am in my second semester of 1L. It has been fine so far. I recently adopted a second dog (papillon, cavalier king charles mix) to keep him company. First semester I went home at lunch to take him out for a walk but this semester I don't have time so they are alone in my apartment from 8-4:30ish every day. They don't seem to mind.

The only issue it has caused is that I have to go home straight after school everyday. No studying in the library, no attending right after school evening events. For me this isn't really a problem but if you think you will study better in the library, this is a significant problem.

As soon as I get home I take them for a walk and play with them. On weekends I make sure to give them a little extra attention to make up for anything they miss during the week. I am an early riser anyway but you can always get up a little earlier and spend time in the morning before you go to school. You just have to pick your priorities. My priorities are: school -> dog -----> everything else.

Thank you for the insight! Thankfully Papillons tend to be very low maintenance. Mine is pretty independent, but I know I will always make time for her when I have a free second. I just can't imagine starting this next chapter of my life without having that little bundle of happiness to come home to. I'm glad there are so many people that feel the same way, and make concessions to have them in their lives.

I'm hoping it would be possible to find a reliable dog walker to maybe break up long days I would be gone. Definitely something to look into :).

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:54 pm

sweetstuff1555 wrote:
leapincamelleopard wrote:

Thank you for the insight! Thankfully Papillons tend to be very low maintenance. Mine is pretty independent, but I know I will always make time for her when I have a free second. I just can't imagine starting this next chapter of my life without having that little bundle of happiness to come home to. I'm glad there are so many people that feel the same way, and make concessions to have them in their lives.

I'm hoping it would be possible to find a reliable dog walker to maybe break up long days I would be gone. Definitely something to look into :).

Find out if any of your fellow students are dog lovers - some'd do it for free

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:35 pm

albanach wrote:

Yeah, and most of the time they like you to be at home all the time to work with them. Nothing like coming home from a long day of law school to find your pillows shredding and dog poop all over the floor!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”