How did getting into YHS change your life? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Younger Abstention

Bronze

Re: How did getting into YHS change your life?

Post by Younger Abstention » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:06 am

I am not going to say that I won't let my accomplishments eventually define who I am. Getting into HYS, however, is not something that I would consider a defining accomplishment.

But that wasn't the OP's question. The answer is that it has allowed me a strong start to my career and an opportunity to service my ridiculously high debt.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:25 pm

shoeshine wrote: Yeah, I actually really am. I may be in the minority but I have had no trouble finding a firm job for my 1L summer and I love the atmosphere and geographic location of my school. I don't know why someone would chose to go to a school they would like less simply because of some perceived prestige. I can understand if we were talking about the difference between HYS and a T-50 but once you get into the T-14 and T-6 hardly any firm cares.

Again, this may be all my perception but TLS overhypes ranking. I almost didn't go to my school because TLS had me believing I would not be able to find a job at anything but HYS. I am sitting on a couple 1L summer offers for big law and it isn't because of my school. Your school gets you in the door but all my interviews have been about my W/E and other BS.

Sorry for the rant but I am mad that TLS overplays ranking within the T14 so much.
Exactly. You may be in the minority. While I agree that W/E and other stuff matter a lot for interviews, the fact is, if you got the job at a T14, you would have gotten it at HYS as well (assuming you're not doing weird comparisons like top 2% of a T14 vs. median HYS). TLS overhypes ranking because, generally speaking, it is a pretty good indicator of the chances someone would get of getting biglaw (all else being equal). This makes a lot of assumptions of course (that a person wants biglaw or some LIPP program to repay a lot of debt, etc.), but without extra information, we have to treat most posters as in the generic (read: most likely) mold. Now those who say you won't get a job at a T14, only HYS, are not only using hyperbole, but are in the minority (even for this site). T14 or bust mentality is a lot more rampant on this site, and even that has a lot of exceptions.

The fact that you said you're sitting on 1L summer offers and it isn't because of your school really aids my point more than yours -- most people need the best shot they can. We're not all special snowflakes (and if some were, we are definitely bad at knowing when we are and when we aren't).

ps - I am also a bit unsure what you mean by someone choosing a school they dislike (HYS) over one they do. I mean shoot, if you love a CCN and got into a HYS, it isn't that crazy you'd choose the former over the latter. If you're talking bottom T14 vs. HYS...then rationally speaking, for most people, that doesn't smell like a smart decision lol.

apollo13

Bronze

Post by apollo13 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:42 pm

flcath wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:My first thought was, "well, maybe if it was a self-tar, this thread can be saved." Then I got to:
Monte.Cristo wrote: Did your ex-gf/bf try to win you back?
And all hope was lost. Getting into a top school will give you great prospects and a great education, but you're essentially same person Wednesday as your were Monday regardless of what acceptance letter arrives on Tuesday.
This is patently untrue. It is sad, but untrue nonetheless.
No kidding. I guarantee this guy (LinkRemoved) gets tons of ass.

I guess if you're ugly/bald/short then an HYS degree doesn't really matter (i.e., I personally am not envious), but a Harvard pedigree on a good-looking bro is prestigious as fuck.
How so...?

And OP, from my experience, it surely gives you a lot of recognition. When I visited Hawaii this past summer, the only piece of warm, thick clothing that I brought was this crimson Harvard sweatshirt. During my plane ride, I had to wear it not by my choice but I had to because I was freezing my butt off. The moment I got on the plane, waiting for fat candies to store their luggages and crap on the compartments, I remember 2, 3 people asking me if I attend Harvard. Then I realized the power of H-Bomb, which I had thought of it as only case-by-case incidents and pretexual.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:41 am

apollo13 wrote:
flcath wrote:No kidding. I guarantee this guy (LinkRemoved) gets tons of ass.

I guess if you're ugly/bald/short then an HYS degree doesn't really matter (i.e., I personally am not envious), but a Harvard pedigree on a good-looking bro is prestigious as fuck.
How so...?
"How so" which part?

I mean, I don't know the dude (he was on ATL awhile back), but assuming he's moderately sociable he should be able to attract both a high quantity and quality of women. I'm sure he'd have done fine w/o the H-bomb resume, but it's the type of icing on the cake that really piques women's intrigue... it's almost like being a spy, or a doctor.

Chichaca

Bronze

Post by Chichaca » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:50 am

It made other people start taking me as seriously as they should have been taking me all along.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:06 am

Many on tls overhype rank because they are not confident. They do not expect to stand out in any way other than academically so they want to maximize their chances at oci. Remember, many w seemingly qualified grades get passed up all the time, especially at less prestigious schools. All the FAs and other socially inept are acting rationally tbf.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:22 am

nucky thompson wrote:Many on tls overhype rank because they are not confident. They do not expect to stand out in any way other than academically so they want to maximize their chances at oci. Remember, many w seemingly qualified grades get passed up all the time, especially at less prestigious schools. All the FAs and other socially inept are acting rationally tbf.
What's an FA?

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:14 am

Forever alone - see this thread if you need more information - http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... e#p5089158

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:16 am

nucky thompson wrote:Many on tls overhype rank because they are not confident. They do not expect to stand out in any way other than academically so they want to maximize their chances at oci. Remember, many w seemingly qualified grades get passed up all the time, especially at less prestigious schools. All the FAs and other socially inept are acting rationally tbf.
This rationale is so wrong. The most confident people want prestige if it's possible to obtain. Confidence without credentials could easily be viewed as puffery.

I am about as confident as one could get without being arrogant. Actually, funny. People used to think I was arrogant. Now they think I am very confident. Think gaining prestige and credential has anything to do with it? I am still the same person.

ETA: I don't go to HYS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:20 am

r6_philly wrote:
This rationale is so wrong. The most confident people want prestige if it's possible to obtain. Confidence without credentials could easily be viewed as puffery.

I am about as confident as one could get without being arrogant. Actually, funny. People used to think I was arrogant. Now they think I am very confident. Think gaining prestige and credential has anything to do with it? I am still the same person.

I think it's pretty ridiculous to claim that a) all people who want prestige are unconfident OR b) all people who are confident want prestige. I tend to agree more with the first, because you hear a lot of people saying things to that effect, but it's still a generalization. I strongly disagree with the second. I completely understand that you are a confident person that also seeks prestige, but I hardly think it's fair to say that's the case with every confident person. It seems like the most confident people wouldn't need the validation that comes with prestige-seeking.

As for confidence without credentials being viewed as "puffery," I've always viewed confidence as more of a personal thing. You can feel confident about yourself regardless of other people's opinions about you, and you can feel confident about yourself without taking your credentials into account. They matter more for what other people will think of you, which should have little to do with your own confidence level.

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:34 am

snehpets wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Now that you're done telling us what you wanted to tell us about yourself.... What you said is not relevant to my post. Honestly, not relevant at all. I said tls generally overhypes/values ranking distinctions because they are not confident people - ie: likely see themselves as the type that is numerically qualified for a job but gets passed over - therefore the higher rank helps them feel more qualified and less likely to be passed over

Edit: to be clear, school/rank etc. is not the only credential for confidence. A stud paying sticker at wash u likely has more swag/innate confidence than a bland/average at hys --- And society likely understands/respects the confidence from the wash u stud more so than the average guy graduating from hys

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:08 pm

nucky thompson wrote: Edit: to be clear, school/rank etc. is not the only credential for confidence. A stud paying sticker at wash u likely has more swag/innate confidence than a bland/average at hys --- And society likely understands/respects the confidence from the wash u stud more so than the average guy graduating from hys
I don't think those 2 persons would be aiming at the same segment of society.

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:17 pm

r6_philly wrote:
nucky thompson wrote: Edit: to be clear, school/rank etc. is not the only credential for confidence. A stud paying sticker at wash u likely has more swag/innate confidence than a bland/average at hys --- And society likely understands/respects the confidence from the wash u stud more so than the average guy graduating from hys
I don't think those 2 persons would be aiming at the same segment of society.

What???

Michelle Bachmann was initially a leading presidential candidate. She graduated from oral Roberts law school, but she is attractive.

If you want to impress all the other weird/socially inept from prestigious schools, I guess you have a point. But for America in general, my point stands.

Edit: not saying all prestigious law grads are weird/socially inept. But only weird/socially inept people judge the merits of ones confidence on academic credentials alone

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:32 pm

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:48 pm

Edited - I don't really see the point of arguing anymore. Some people go to HYS, others don't. If there is tangible benefit, they are enjoying it.
Last edited by r6_philly on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:50 pm

People I hadn't spoken to since 3rd grade commented on my facebook status. That was nice, I guess...

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:
nucky thompson wrote: Many on tls overhype rank because they are not confident. They do not expect to stand out in any way other than academically so they want to maximize their chances at oci. Remember, many w seemingly qualified grades get passed up all the time, especially at less prestigious schools. All the FAs and other socially inept are acting rationally tbf.
nucky thompson wrote: Edit: not saying all prestigious law grads are weird/socially inept. But only weird/socially inept people judge the merits of ones confidence on academic credentials alone
So is it weird/socially inept to judge people's confidence on the fact that they "overhype" rank?

Let's see:

People have good academic credentials. -> they get into HYS -> They enjoy the prestige -> they "overhype" prestige. So basically you made a general observation on people's confidence based on their academic credentials (and the resulting respect for prestige).

Therefore you are weird/socially inept.
I think by "merits of one's confidence" he meant judging whether or not someone "deserves" to be confident based on their credentials.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:53 pm

nucky thompson wrote:Michelle Bachmann was initially a leading presidential candidate. She graduated from oral Roberts law school, but she is attractive.
Please ban nucky now.

juzam_djinn

Bronze

Post by juzam_djinn » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:21 pm

It changes your life if you need/enjoy the type of affirmation of your own self-worth that comes with the envious looks of your friends/family/strangers whenever the topic of where you went to school comes up.

That sounds a bit harsh, but it is extremely true. Think about it, if you're on the subway or out at a restaurant, the people next to you aren't going to look over at you and randomly say, "Where'd you go to school?" The "prestige" aspect comes into play during those rare moments when you're on the topic of education, your past, or if you're wearing your school sweatshirt. If you get into a top school and really want to milk it for all its worth, I suggest buying several school sweaters/shirts to wear. Yes, you will turn heads. However, if you let your school define you, then IT WILL, and when you are NOT being judged by your school (i.e. 99% of daily life), you won't feel fully satisfied.

What it boils down to is justification of your value to both yourself and to society. In terms of career prospects and "doors being opened", those really do not apply if we're looking at this issue correctly. The question is whether or not getting into one of these schools changes your life, NOT whether or not students at one school would have better opportunities than others. Getting into HYS does not magically open doors, your intelligence/work ethic carried over from your "previous life" will.

To sum it up, the value of the brand name is in justifying how valuable you are to all of society. There are a myriad of other ways to do this, but on TLS obviously people are going to be primarily concerned with the schooling method.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:29 pm

snehpets wrote:
I think by "merits of one's confidence" he meant judging whether or not someone "deserves" to be confident based on their credentials.
So if you have the credentials to get into HYS, then why can't you be confident about your credentials? No one can rely on the brand name alone because lacking credentials you won't get under the brand name.

The brand name is generally a proxy/abstract of your underlying credentials.

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:
snehpets wrote:
So if you have the credentials to get into HYS, then why can't you be confident about your credentials? No one can rely on the brand name alone because lacking credentials you won't get under the brand name.

I agree with you that you can be confident about your credentials. My point is that HE was saying that you shouldn't base all of your confidence around your academic credentials, nor should you judge whether other people "deserve" to be confident about themselves on their credentials. I think you guys (and me) are talking around each other. In summary, of course you should be proud of your achievement, but I don't think academics should be that big of a deal for anyone in the long run.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

juzam_djinn

Bronze

Post by juzam_djinn » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:41 pm

r6_philly wrote:
snehpets wrote:

Case in point, if you didn't go to Stanford, would you wear a Stanford sweatshirt around? People might think you're special/smart, but that wouldn't make you feel better now, would it? (disclaimer: you DNE Azia Kim)

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:04 pm

Summary:

HYSC is leagues better than every other law school (I can only imagine the pain in the young man's heart as the 21-year-old blonde nods impassively--without understanding--after he tells her that he went to the University of Chicago), but still woefully behind the god-like M.D., modern society's gladiators/gunfighters.

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:10 pm

r6_philly wrote:
snehpets wrote:

You seem to you have little to offer the world other than your intelligence/academic credentials. I may be wrong on that assessment but your emphasis on academic credentials determining ones reasonable confidence makes it seem that way.

I am saying that there are other socially accepted reason to be confident other than how smart you are/how prestigious of a job you have. getting into hys does not make you enjoyable to be around, humorous, or good looking (typical characteristics Americans associate with confident people) -- A law graduate (of lower prestige) with all of these intangibles, coupled with ranking/grades good enough for vault interviews is far more enviable In american society than a plain/bland/average John doe with a hys degree even though the hys degree may carry more prestigious employment prospects (vault 50-100 v. Vault 10) for example.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:36 pm

Man, I was hoping this thread would be filled with lolcats.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”