BigLaw %

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: BigLaw %

Postby Veyron » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:44 pm

RVP11 wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:Seems a bit low for UVA.

The percentage is probably pretty close to 50%+.


Yea, I wasn't counting clerkship people who end up in biglaw, and also assumed a lot of UVA people go into bigfedgov.


BigFedGov straight from law school is a total myth ITE. More of a myth than MidLaw.


I resent that remark.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: BigLaw %

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:48 pm

Hey, how dare you, the doj will hire 11 people!

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: BigLaw %

Postby MrKappus » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:51 pm

RVP11 wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:Seems a bit low for UVA.

The percentage is probably pretty close to 50%+.


Yea, I wasn't counting clerkship people who end up in biglaw, and also assumed a lot of UVA people go into bigfedgov.


BigFedGov straight from law school is a total myth ITE. More of a myth than MidLaw.


:roll:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BigLaw %

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:20 pm

I have it on really good information that these are the official numbers for these schools with Art III Clerkships in parentheses.

UVA - 28.7%(8%)
Georgetown - 23.5%(9%)
UCLA 18.2%(2.3%)
Hastings - 29%(1.3%)
Davis - 3.7%(.7%)

Posted anonymously because I don't want my opinion to affect my potential future employment.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: BigLaw %

Postby MrKappus » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have it on really good information that these are the official numbers for these schools with Art III Clerkships in parentheses.

UVA - 28.7%(8%)
Georgetown - 23.5%(9%)
UCLA 18.2%(2.3%)
Hastings - 29%(1.3%)
Davis - 3.7%(.7%)

Posted anonymously because I don't want my opinion to affect my potential future employment.


Something can't be "on really good information" and your "opinion." hth

User avatar
introversional
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:59 am

Re: BigLaw %

Postby introversional » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:27 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:UVA / Georgetown / Hastings / Davis / UCLA


UVA - 30-40%

Georgetown - 30-40%

UCLA 20-30%

Hastings - 5-10%

Davis - 5-10%


What are the average starting associate biglaw salaries in bigger markets like DC, Chicago, etc??

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: BigLaw %

Postby c3pO4 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:55 pm

introversional wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:UVA / Georgetown / Hastings / Davis / UCLA


UVA - 30-40%

Georgetown - 30-40%

UCLA 20-30%

Hastings - 5-10%

Davis - 5-10%


What are the average starting associate biglaw salaries in bigger markets like DC, Chicago, etc??


160k, 160k, 160K, 160K, 160K

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: BigLaw %

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:57 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Why is this anonymous and should it be in the Choosing a Law School forum?


+1

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: BigLaw %

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you.

Surprising that only half of 2010 Harvard graduates ended up in NLJ250. Then again, Harvard had a huge graduating class that year!


That'd be like saying Yale can't place its class into biglaw lol. As someone already pointed out, being able to get placed into biglaw != they end up going after they graduate. Plenty of HYS students go fedgov or clerkships.

User avatar
Flappy Scribbleneck
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: BigLaw %

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have it on really good information that these are the official numbers for these schools with Art III Clerkships in parentheses.

UVA - 28.7%(8%)
Georgetown - 23.5%(9%)
UCLA 18.2%(2.3%)
Hastings - 29%(1.3%)
Davis - 3.7%(.7%)

Posted anonymously because I don't want my opinion to affect my potential future employment.


um, gutless
and are you a hastings allumn our did you leave out a decimal

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: BigLaw %

Postby Veyron » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:08 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thank you.

Surprising that only half of 2010 Harvard graduates ended up in NLJ250. Then again, Harvard had a huge graduating class that year!


That'd be like saying Yale can't place its class into biglaw lol. As someone already pointed out, being able to get placed into biglaw != they end up going after they graduate. Plenty of HYS students go fedgov or clerkships.


Lol, Yale, just lol. What a TTT.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: BigLaw %

Postby IAFG » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Veyron wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thank you.

Surprising that only half of 2010 Harvard graduates ended up in NLJ250. Then again, Harvard had a huge graduating class that year!


That'd be like saying Yale can't place its class into biglaw lol. As someone already pointed out, being able to get placed into biglaw != they end up going after they graduate. Plenty of HYS students go fedgov or clerkships.


Lol, Yale, just lol. What a TTT.

TBF law is pretty TTT.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BigLaw %

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:33 pm

GULC isn't a real T14 because Texas was all but ranked ahead of it in the latest rankings.


DC isn't a true home market for GULC because DC is the market (after NYC) where ties matter the least. This isn't like Texas grads placing in Dallas, or UW grads in Seattle. Everyone wants to go to DC, and offices there could care less where you come from. DC is just up for grabs, and I know for a fact that GULC students had much better luck bidding other (non-DC) markets than they did trying to get jobs at firms in DC, at least in my year (c/o 2012).

Note- I'm not demeaning GULC as a school, but the fact is that UVA places better in DC and better nationwide, with a stronger alumni network, than GULC.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: BigLaw %

Postby Veyron » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:41 pm

^ Not sure if serious

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: BigLaw %

Postby top30man » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:53 pm

Veyron wrote:^ Not sure if serious

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: BigLaw %

Postby IAFG » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:58 pm

top30man wrote:
Veyron wrote:^ Not sure if serious

Did neither of you read past the first line?

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: BigLaw %

Postby top30man » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:03 am

IAFG wrote:
top30man wrote:
Veyron wrote:^ Not sure if serious

Did neither of you read past the first line?

I did. I just think the claim that Gulc can't count dc as a home market is ridiculous. They routinely place around 40% into dc.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: BigLaw %

Postby IAFG » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:33 am

top30man wrote:
IAFG wrote:
top30man wrote:
Veyron wrote:^ Not sure if serious

Did neither of you read past the first line?

I did. I just think the claim that Gulc can't count dc as a home market is ridiculous. They routinely place around 40% into dc.

Link?

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19668
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: BigLaw %

Postby dailygrind » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:46 am

This reeks of 0L.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: BigLaw %

Postby top30man » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:53 am

IAFG wrote:Did neither of you read past the first line?

top30man wrote:I did. I just think the claim that Gulc can't count dc as a home market is ridiculous. They routinely place around 40% into dc.

Link?[/quote]
sure. --LinkRemoved--
This shows 45% for the DC/VA/MD markets. Additionally, GULC itself has DC specifically listed at 42%.
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admission ... et2012.pdf

That means over 200 new attorneys in DC from GULC in the most recent available year. If that doesn't constitute a home market, I'm not sure what would qualify.
Additionally, the concept that DC doesn't require ties and therefore doesn't count is absurd, to say the least. Would you also say that New York doesn't count as a home market for NYU? The argument just does not make any sense.

ETA: not big law specific, obviously. Just placement in general.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: BigLaw %

Postby IAFG » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:07 am

top30man wrote:sure. --LinkRemoved--
This shows 45% for the DC/VA/MD markets. Additionally, GULC itself has DC specifically listed at 42%.
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admission ... et2012.pdf

That means over 200 new attorneys in DC from GULC in the most recent available year. If that doesn't constitute a home market, I'm not sure what would qualify.
Additionally, the concept that DC doesn't require ties and therefore doesn't count is absurd, to say the least. Would you also say that New York doesn't count as a home market for NYU? The argument just does not make any sense.

ETA: not big law specific, obviously. Just placement in general.

Ah I see. The bolded was our disconnect.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: BigLaw %

Postby top30man » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:15 am

IAFG wrote:
top30man wrote:sure. --LinkRemoved--
This shows 45% for the DC/VA/MD markets. Additionally, GULC itself has DC specifically listed at 42%.
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admission ... et2012.pdf

That means over 200 new attorneys in DC from GULC in the most recent available year. If that doesn't constitute a home market, I'm not sure what would qualify.
Additionally, the concept that DC doesn't require ties and therefore doesn't count is absurd, to say the least. Would you also say that New York doesn't count as a home markJet for NYU? The argument just does not make any sense.

ETA: not big law specific, obviously. Just placement in general.

Ah I see. The bolded was our disconnect.

Ah, ok. I see what you mean. Apologies if I came off hostile. I wasn't saying its the best school for DC big law, just that I think DC would be considered Gulc's home market in general.

User avatar
Errzii
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:09 am

Re: BigLaw %

Postby Errzii » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:30 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150004 compiled clerkship/big law data for top schools. Can assume <10% for everything else. HTH.

User avatar
TrialLawyer16
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: BigLaw %

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:GULC isn't a real T14 because Texas was all but ranked ahead of it in the latest rankings.


DC isn't a true home market for GULC because DC is the market (after NYC) where ties matter the least. This isn't like Texas grads placing in Dallas, or UW grads in Seattle. Everyone wants to go to DC, and offices there could care less where you come from. DC is just up for grabs, and I know for a fact that GULC students had much better luck bidding other (non-DC) markets than they did trying to get jobs at firms in DC, at least in my year (c/o 2012).

Note- I'm not demeaning GULC as a school, but the fact is that UVA places better in DC and better nationwide, with a stronger alumni network, than GULC.


Again. Look at the attorney profiles for big law firms in DC and tell me again that DC isn't GULC's home market. Your anecdotal evidence is just that, these are facts.

Put simply, in DC, GULC significantly outperforms their ranking. That's a fact regardless of what you believe happened in your year. It is evident that GULC gets preferential treatment in DC, that it doesn't get in say NYC - isn't that the entire point of having a home market? Your argument is the same as saying NYU's home market isn't New York city because everyone wants to go there.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: BigLaw %

Postby IAFG » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:02 pm

TrialLawyer16 wrote:Again. Look at the attorney profiles for big law firms in DC and tell me again that DC isn't GULC's home market. Your anecdotal evidence is just that, these are facts.

Graduate 600 JDs a year and your top 1/4 will be the size of a UChicago class. Your facts are anecdotal evidence just pretending.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest