NYU 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Yeshia90

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:06 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:
legalmindedfella wrote:
nsbane wrote:In case any NYU students are still monitoring this, I got a quick question. What are the chances for getting a paying summer internship after 1L? I understand that there are few to go around these days.

Detrox pretty much took care of this, but NYU's PI office will provide you with funding support if you work at a PI organization, nonprofit, in gov't, or whatever else that's a proper legal internship. If you're a research assistant for the summer you're paid out of the school's academic funds/professor's budget. They won't pay you to sit around, or to work somewhere that has nothing to do with being in law school. But no one in their right mind would do either of these things. And they won't provide you with funding for:
1) A private firm
2) A judicial internship

Private firm jobs require a fair amount of hustle to get, especially in starting early, but they're absolutely an option. Know a good amount of people planning on them and have met 2Ls who did them as well.

In short, you're not going to need to worry about money for making ends meet during 1L summer. If it's very important to you to summer at a firm, and make actual money, then do your best to be ahead of the game.

Any idea why judicial internships are not included?

Presumably for the same reason they're not included in LRAP if you go to a firm--because it's a stepping stone for a firm job, not showing a dedication to PI/gov't work, but that's my 0L guess.

pupperoni

Postby pupperoni » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:38 pm

what would be a good way to figure out which professors to take during the first year? i know the curve makes it seem irrelevant but i would still like to learn from someone who would put some effort into teaching.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:39 pm

pupperoni wrote:what would be a good way to figure out which professors to take during the first year? i know the curve makes it seem irrelevant but i would still like to learn from someone who would put some effort into teaching.

You don't get to choose. Except for one elective in the spring, but you'll probably base that on the subject rather than the professor.

pupperoni

Postby pupperoni » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:50 pm

oh i see, that makes things easier. on an unrelated note, what is the typical reaction you get in NYC or at NYU vs. out of state when you say you went to NYU law? i may want to work outside of new york after graduation and i am trying to get a feel of how marketable an NYU law degree is.

and is there a gym at NYU work students?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:55 pm

pupperoni wrote:oh i see, that makes things easier. on an unrelated note, what is the typical reaction you get in NYC or at NYU vs. out of state when you say you went to NYU law? i may want to work outside of new york after graduation and i am trying to get a feel of how marketable an NYU law degree is.

and is there a gym at NYU work students?

People go all over. I'm probably not going to stay in NY and I don't think that will be an issue at all.

And there is one rec center nearby and one maybe 14 blocks away. Something like that.

pupperoni

Postby pupperoni » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:06 pm

where do see nyu law as an institution heading in the future? do you think it will continue to make good moves and improve its reputation or do you see it remaining stagnant?

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:09 pm

I hope to visit this friday. Which class would be most entertaining/informative to sit in on? Linked is the list of visitable classes:

http://its.law.nyu.edu/cms/public/sched ... mYear=2012

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:10 pm

Yeah I'm doing the same thing a few fridays from now, would also appreciate this answer.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:13 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:I hope to visit this friday. Which class would be most entertaining/informative to sit in on? Linked is the list of visitable classes:

Depends on what you're into. Sports Law with A Millie would probably be pretty good. Barkow is considered the best 1L professor by a lot of people, so her Admin class would be a good pick. As a general rule I would probably tell you to sit in on a 1L course, so Crim, Admin, or one of the electives (property, international, corporations, con or tax).

If you have any specific ones you're curious about I might be able to give you some better info.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:50 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:I hope to visit this friday. Which class would be most entertaining/informative to sit in on? Linked is the list of visitable classes:

Depends on what you're into. Sports Law with A Millie would probably be pretty good. Barkow is considered the best 1L professor by a lot of people, so her Admin class would be a good pick. As a general rule I would probably tell you to sit in on a 1L course, so Crim, Admin, or one of the electives (property, international, corporations, con or tax).

If you have any specific ones you're curious about I might be able to give you some better info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GqyyjLU7MY

invading this thread. this is all the reason you need to go to NYU.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Guchster wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GqyyjLU7MY

invading this thread. this is all the reason you need to go to NYU.

I'm sure Miller's one hell of a professor, but my god, that kid can not rap. At all.

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:06 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:

...Sports Law with A Millie would probably be pretty good. Barkow is considered the best 1L professor by a lot of people, so her Admin class would be a good pick...

+1

Estlund also has a very good reputation.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:36 pm

A Millie isn't on Friday, but it does sound awesome.

EDIT: At this point, I am thinking about going to a class at CLS from 9-11, and then Barkow from 12-1:50. Is this possible timewise?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:41 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:A Millie isn't on Friday, but it does sound awesome.

EDIT: At this point, I am thinking about going to a class at CLS from 9-11, and then Barkow from 12-1:50. Is this possible timewise?

It might be tight since you're probably going to need credentials and such from NYU. You can certainly make the trip in that amount of time, but I don't know how long other things will take. If I were you I'd probably leave the CLS class early. Honestly, I'd probably leave both classes early. Who enjoys sitting in on 2 hours of class?

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:55 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:

It might be tight since you're probably going to need credentials and such from NYU. You can certainly make the trip in that amount of time, but I don't know how long other things will take. If I were you I'd probably leave the CLS class early. Honestly, I'd probably leave both classes early. Who enjoys sitting in on 2 hours of class?

Wait..you can leave a class early? Even a visitor? I really don't want to and up on ATL next monday...

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:04 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

Wait..you can leave a class early? Even a visitor? I really don't want to and up on ATL next monday...

Sure. You'll sit on the side of the room or the back, just sneak out. Also, at least here, we have a 10 minute break in the middle. So that would be a good time to sneak out.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:10 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

LOL people leave class early all the time. and dont' worry. you won't end up on ATL, unless I WANT YOU to.

but for reals. professors at CLS understand that you are a visiting student. DEFINITELY sit in the back, and make sure you don't steal anyone's seat (might want to come a lil late or ask around if you're early). I'm a slacker, and I come late to class (but my assigned seat is in the back row....). One 0L stole mine last week, but I ldidn't care cuz it meant the prof. wasn't going to cold call me. (Victory!)

*End thread invasion*

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:17 pm

Guchster wrote:LOL people leave class early all the time. and dont' worry. you won't end up on ATL, unless I WANT YOU to.

--ImageRemoved--

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:24 pm

You will have a uniquely "participatory" experience if you attend Levinson's Con Law class that none of the other classes will provide. I recommend him above all, although most of the profs on that list are pretty great.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:51 pm

Okay, so I guess I'll go to the CLS class, leave halfway through during the break, wander around a bit, and head to NYU for Barkow and again leave during the break. Thanks guys!

edit: Just want to confirm that CLS has breaks(?), it's Gerrymandering with Persily, if that makes a difference...

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:07 am

lsatcrazy wrote:Okay, so I guess I'll go to the CLS class, leave halfway through during the break, wander around a bit, and head to NYU for Barkow and again leave during the break. Thanks guys!

edit: Just want to confirm that CLS has breaks(?), it's Gerrymandering with Persily, if that makes a difference...

Even if they don't, you can just get up and leave. What's really gonna happen to you?

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:44 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:Okay, so I guess I'll go to the CLS class, leave halfway through during the break, wander around a bit, and head to NYU for Barkow and again leave during the break. Thanks guys!

Even if they don't, you can just get up and leave. What's really gonna happen to you?

No idea, just don't want to break any unspoken rules. I'll probably just ask the prof before class starts if it's all right.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:45 am

lsatcrazy wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

No idea, just don't want to break any unspoken rules. I'll probably just ask the prof before class starts if it's all right.

Seems reasonable.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:35 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

I've already told you there's no rule--spoken or unspoken. Anyone can leave class. And 'silly is one of the nicest professors at CLS.

Stop being neurotic.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:48 pm

mkay thx

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”