NYU 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
D'Angelo

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby D'Angelo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:08 am

Our section had 60 people go to a bar (out of 90) after our last two exams. The community is pretty much what you want to make of it in either direction.

legalmindedfella

Postby legalmindedfella » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:41 pm

Another NYU 1L here if I can be of any help.

roserdozer

Postby roserdozer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:57 pm

Did any of you visit during one of the admitted student days? I don't know if I want to go out of my way to hit one of those weeks or visit at a more convenient time. What were the deciding factors for you? I'm probably deciding NYU v Mich, if it's of any help.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:22 pm

roserdozer wrote:Did any of you visit during one of the admitted student days? I don't know if I want to go out of my way to hit one of those weeks or visit at a more convenient time. What were the deciding factors for you? I'm probably deciding NYU v Mich, if it's of any help.

ASWs are very helpful. I went to the first NYU one and had a great time. The benefit you get from the ASWs is you're going to be able to meet with a lot more people in a shorter time frame and just get a more out of it. You can still get a pretty good feel for the schools without it, but the experience is really enjoyable. You'll meet some future classmates (even if you end up at Michigan you still might meet some future classmates at NYU).

As for choosing between Michigan and NYU, I think the big question is a matter of what experience you want and where you want to be after law school. If you want the midwest, Michigan would probably be wiser. If you want NYC, NYU would be wiser. Of course, $$ complicates the decision as well.

legalmindedfella

Postby legalmindedfella » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:29 pm

roserdozer wrote:Did any of you visit during one of the admitted student days? I don't know if I want to go out of my way to hit one of those weeks or visit at a more convenient time. What were the deciding factors for you? I'm probably deciding NYU v Mich, if it's of any help.

I think birdlaw captured ASW well - you're going to enjoy yourself, it's interesting, and it's well worth heading to if you can swing it without a huge amount of disruption. And even a day or two of impressions of the place can be very helpful for making a decision.

I didn't have the specific NYU v. Michigan choice, but I wound up here because it felt like the right fit for me and my interests and I had a small scholarship. As birdlaw said, if significant $ is involved, that should certainly be a part of your decision, but it's also worth considering what you're hoping to be doing after you graduate and the lifestyle/region you want.

If you have a specific field that you're interested in or aspect of school life you're curious about, attending an ASW is also a great way to ask the school to give you someone to talk to directly. Admins and faculty are happy to sell their school, and you can get some great information to guide you.

nsbane

Postby nsbane » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:01 pm

how's the wifi internet around nyu?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:14 pm

nsbane wrote:how's the wifi internet around nyu?

I've never had an issue.

roserdozer

Postby roserdozer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:11 am

birdlaw117 wrote:

ASWs are very helpful. I went to the first NYU one and had a great time. The benefit you get from the ASWs is you're going to be able to meet with a lot more people in a shorter time frame and just get a more out of it. You can still get a pretty good feel for the schools without it, but the experience is really enjoyable. You'll meet some future classmates (even if you end up at Michigan you still might meet some future classmates at NYU).

As for choosing between Michigan and NYU, I think the big question is a matter of what experience you want and where you want to be after law school. If you want the midwest, Michigan would probably be wiser. If you want NYC, NYU would be wiser. Of course, $$ complicates the decision as well.

Thanks for answering questions. I also had a more general 0L question: how significant are clinics? When you ask NYU v. Mich, NYU has a huge diversity of clinics (I imagine by virtue of size and location). Do most people participate in a clinic at some point? How valuable is the experience? Further, is the diversity/specificity of clinics offered that important?

Thanks for indulging me...

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:42 am

roserdozer wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

Thanks for answering questions. I also had a more general 0L question: how significant are clinics? When you ask NYU v. Mich, NYU has a huge diversity of clinics (I imagine by virtue of size and location). Do most people participate in a clinic at some point? How valuable is the experience? Further, is the diversity/specificity of clinics offered that important?

Since I'm a 1L I don't have any experience with clinics, but I do know we have a wide-variety of clinics and that most students will take one or two while they are here. I've heard great things about them, but that's about all I can offer. Sorry I can't give you any more specific info.

legalmindedfella

Postby legalmindedfella » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:31 am

roserdozer wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

The quality of NYU's clinics should be a real draw if that's something you're interested in. Practical skills if you're going the firm route and unbelievably helpful for PI. Was fortunate enough to have a member of the clinical faculty as one of my 1L professors, and she was also a really unbelievable teacher, which was nice.

Might as well note one other aspect of NYU I hadn't known much about before I came here, which is the diversity of 1L public interest opportunities. There are a number of student organizations that have sprung up and provide something with at least the hint of a clinic environment, in that you're doing practical legal work within the community to help people. Because it's 1L and student-run it's a mixed bag in terms of quality and organization, but if working with disadvantaged youth, the homeless, prisoners or even Iraqi refugees sounds appealing, you'll be able to, alongside the more typical progressive labor and social justice organizations.

These aren't going to make or break your career, but it does provide a way to get some PI experience right off the bat if that's something your resume doesn't already reflect, and you're getting an immediate opportunity to learn legal skills which can be a great boost for the 1L summer job hunt (as well as clinic applications.)

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:00 am

/tagged

KRog

Postby KRog » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:36 am

Call me crazy, but what are the chances of finding somewhere to live with a small yard??? (I'm thinking it would probably have to be a townhouse.) And how far away would I have to live to find one?

I have a fairly large dog who gets depressed without ample outdoor time, and I don't suspect I'll have a time to walk him 16 times a day.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:26 am

KRog wrote:Call me crazy, but what are the chances of finding somewhere to live with a small yard??? (I'm thinking it would probably have to be a townhouse.) And how far away would I have to live to find one?

I have a fairly large dog who gets depressed without ample outdoor time, and I don't suspect I'll have a time to walk him 16 times a day.

It's not impossible but finding a place with a backyard and where you'll be able to have a big dog will be really hard and expensive. It'll be easier and cheaper if you look in Brooklyn, Queens or New Jersey, but it's still a pretty tall order.

RonnyDworkin

Postby RonnyDworkin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:40 pm

Two random questions. Advance apologies for the randomness. :D

1) Is there free printing?

2) For students living on campus with SO, partners, etc., how does the wireless work? Would my partner get his/her own wireless log-in?

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:50 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:Two random questions. Advance apologies for the randomness. :D

2) For students living on campus with SO, partners, etc., how does the wireless work? Would my partner get his/her own wireless log-in?

1) Yes.

2) Not sure. Since the wireless is given as part of the housing I'd imagine it would be a simple solution like you described.

RonnyDworkin

Postby RonnyDworkin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:42 pm

Detrox wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:Two random questions. Advance apologies for the randomness. :D

1) Yes.

2) Not sure. Since the wireless is given as part of the housing I'd imagine it would be a simple solution like you described.

Re 2), do you need a resnet (is this the right terminology?) ID in order to sign onto the wifi? I recall reading somewhere that only students of the school receive resnet IDs. In the event that a resnet ID is needed to access the internet, would it be possible to share the ID (i.e., have my laptop and his laptop both logged onto the wireless network at the same time using the same resnet ID)?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:45 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:
Detrox wrote:

1) Yes.

Re 2), do you need a resnet (is this the right terminology?) ID in order to sign onto the wifi? I recall reading somewhere that only students of the school receive resnet IDs. In the event that a resnet ID is needed to access the internet, would it be possible to share the ID (i.e., have my laptop and his laptop both logged onto the wireless network at the same time using the same resnet ID)?

I have read the same thing, and I don't know how exactly that works. You could always try and use a router, even though they technically don't allow them.

RonnyDworkin

Postby RonnyDworkin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:47 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
RonnyDworkin wrote:
Detrox wrote:

1) Yes.

I have read the same thing, and I don't know how exactly that works. You could always try and use a router, even though they technically don't allow them.

Awsome. Mucho thanks guys!

nsbane

Postby nsbane » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:11 am

In case any NYU students are still monitoring this, I got a quick question. What are the chances for getting a paying summer internship after 1L? I understand that there are few to go around these days.

RonnyDworkin

Postby RonnyDworkin » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:20 pm

Re sections and courses, does your assigned section determine which of the Admin & Reg State sections you will be in? Or do you have discretion in choosing which Admin & Reg State section you would like to be enrolled in despite the class being a 1L requirement generally?

I ask because I have heard good things about some of the professors teaching Admin & Reg State, in particular Barkow.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:50 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:Re sections and courses, does your assigned section determine which of the Admin & Reg State sections you will be in? Or do you have discretion in choosing which Admin & Reg State section you would like to be enrolled in despite the class being a 1L requirement generally?

I ask because I have heard good things about some of the professors teaching Admin & Reg State, in particular Barkow.

Admin & Reg State (ARS) is an assigned course with a preassigned professor like the other substantive courses. Only your 1L elective in the Spring comes with a choice of class/prof. Barkow is quite a good professor, but if you aren't lucky to get her as an ARS professor you still may get her as your Criminal Law prof.

As to the question about 1L summer paid internships, it's not my area of expertise. Yes they are hard jobs to get, but NYU students certainly get them. As to the grade range and other relevant factors that are needed to give you a chance, I'm not sure, but I bet the career services office could give you some good estimates if you do end up attending.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:36 pm

nsbane wrote:In case any NYU students are still monitoring this, I got a quick question. What are the chances for getting a paying summer internship after 1L? I understand that there are few to go around these days.

I was under the assumption that NYU also provided stipends for public interest internships your 1L summer?

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:58 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:
nsbane wrote:In case any NYU students are still monitoring this, I got a quick question. What are the chances for getting a paying summer internship after 1L? I understand that there are few to go around these days.

I was under the assumption that NYU also provided stipends for public interest internships your 1L summer?

Yes, this is by far the majority route. As I did not take it I cannot comment on it extensively, however if you comply with the requirements set by PILC (basically attending meetings and soliciting donations during the school year), then you are eligible for a decent stipend for most public interest jobs (don't know the exact amount). I believe the stipend is available even for government jobs that pay below a certain amount, although I'm 75% sure it is NOT available for judicial internships.

legalmindedfella

Postby legalmindedfella » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:50 pm

Detrox pretty much took care of this, but NYU's PI office will provide you with funding support if you work at a PI organization, nonprofit, in gov't, or whatever else that's a proper legal internship. If you're a research assistant for the summer you're paid out of the school's academic funds/professor's budget. They won't pay you to sit around, or to work somewhere that has nothing to do with being in law school. But no one in their right mind would do either of these things. And they won't provide you with funding for:
1) A private firm
2) A judicial internship

Private firm jobs require a fair amount of hustle to get, especially in starting early, but they're absolutely an option. Know a good amount of people planning on them and have met 2Ls who did them as well.

In short, you're not going to need to worry about money for making ends meet during 1L summer. If it's very important to you to summer at a firm, and make actual money, then do your best to be ahead of the game.

RonnyDworkin

Postby RonnyDworkin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:33 pm

legalmindedfella wrote:

Detrox pretty much took care of this, but NYU's PI office will provide you with funding support if you work at a PI organization, nonprofit, in gov't, or whatever else that's a proper legal internship. If you're a research assistant for the summer you're paid out of the school's academic funds/professor's budget. They won't pay you to sit around, or to work somewhere that has nothing to do with being in law school. But no one in their right mind would do either of these things. And they won't provide you with funding for:
1) A private firm
2) A judicial internship

Private firm jobs require a fair amount of hustle to get, especially in starting early, but they're absolutely an option. Know a good amount of people planning on them and have met 2Ls who did them as well.

In short, you're not going to need to worry about money for making ends meet during 1L summer. If it's very important to you to summer at a firm, and make actual money, then do your best to be ahead of the game.

Any idea why judicial internships are not included?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”