NYU 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dixiecupdrinking

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:35 pm

Graystone wrote:
I think the "Columbia" name is more transferable than NYU. In the city they both have equal reputation and placement options but probably not outside the city so really think about where you want to be after LS

NYU 3L going to V50 here. I don't think that's true. I interviewed in many secondary markets, from Cleveland to Houston, and everyone received the degree well. NYU has enough people in these cities that it's a well-known commodity.

This is consistent with my personal experience and anecdotes I've heard. I know people who got job offers all over the country without being particularly noteworthy candidates. Who knows which of the two schools is "better" outside NYC, which is pretty much impossible to quantify, but the NYU name doesn't seem to experience a real dip in desirability in other markets the way some might assume.

Graystone

Postby Graystone » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:55 pm

NYU 3L here. had a biglaw offer from midwest that i decided not to take. I think the 3% is self-selection. NYU is a national brand that served me well during my interviews in both the South and the Midwest. All the offices I interviewed had at least a couple partners who went to school here.

OCS is very good. Irene Dorzbach (sp?) the head of placement is awesome; if you sit down one on one with their staff, it can be hit or miss. The whole process they have set up to ready students for OCI is awesome. I pretty much followed instructions to the letter and landed 3-4 offers.

to people worried about NYU's placement, according to Law School Transparency we place about 90% of our graduates. Columbia does 94% and Chicago does 88% (Harvard does about 90%) (numbers from lawschooltransparency.com school profiles). That's a pretty negligible difference. NYU has very strong employment outcomes; nobody does much better. It is a risk-averse place to go to school.

beautyistruth

Postby beautyistruth » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:59 pm

Have these prospects been getting better or worse since the '09 apocalypse? I've heard such mixed things on these boards whether the legal economy for top schools is improving, getting worse, or staying relatively the same.

aces

Postby aces » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:44 pm

beautyistruth wrote:Have these prospects been getting better or worse since the '09 apocalypse? I've heard such mixed things on these boards whether the legal economy for top schools is improving, getting worse, or staying relatively the same.

Things are definitely better since '09, but hiring will never get back to boom levels. Hiring for c/o 2013 was noticeably better than the year before, for instance. However, from what I've heard, hiring for c/o 2014 was stagnant or maybe even a little worse than the year before. NYU continues to do well in NYC biglaw, but you need to bid intelligently (for instance, median with no work experience should not be aiming for the V10) and put a good amount of work into OCI (that means networking, researching firms, practicing interviews, etc).

And I want to second the above poster re: career services at NYU. Irene is great-- she's well-connected, genuinely cares about helping you find a job, and isn't going to pull any punches. The rest of the staff is definitely hit-or-miss, though-- they're pretty decent with semi-generic questions (ex: checking over your bidlist to make sure you're bidding appropriately, proofreading resumes, etc.), but are less likely to really go to bat for you or give you any tips that you couldn't figure out elsewhere with diligent research. As a whole, I've been pleasantly surprised-- if you're willing to make an effort and take the job search seriously, OCS is quite an asset at NYU.

beautyistruth

Postby beautyistruth » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks for the response. It seems like on the whole, while the economy clearly sucks for everybody, NYU and peers are doing a reasonable job weathering the job market. I'm just trying to make sure it's not a case of these schools job prospects surviving but dying by a thread each year.

Good to know that (at least some) of the OCS is helpful. Best of luck :)

IFoughtTheLaw

Postby IFoughtTheLaw » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:22 am

beautyistruth wrote:
And I want to second the above poster re: career services at NYU. Irene is great-- she's well-connected, genuinely cares about helping you find a job, and isn't going to pull any punches. The rest of the staff is definitely hit-or-miss, though-- they're pretty decent with semi-generic questions (ex: checking over your bidlist to make sure you're bidding appropriately, proofreading resumes, etc.), but are less likely to really go to bat for you or give you any tips that you couldn't figure out elsewhere with diligent research. As a whole, I've been pleasantly surprised-- if you're willing to make an effort and take the job search seriously, OCS is quite an asset at NYU.

Thirded. And I think most of the other staff - especially Moon and Sejal - are awesome, and at times even more helpful than Irene. Honestly, very impressed with the whole office.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:42 am

IFoughtTheLaw wrote:
beautyistruth wrote:

Thirded. And I think most of the other staff - especially Moon and Sejal - are awesome, and at times even more helpful than Irene. Honestly, very impressed with the whole office.

+1. OCS is a real asset, particularly in comparison to the horror stories from some other schools.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:26 pm

If you live in the dorms as a 1L, would you need any cash on hand before loans disburse other than for the deposit?

Current plan is to have $0 on hand and a cc($1500) until loans disburse

wifeofsamseaborn

Postby wifeofsamseaborn » Mon May 20, 2013 4:16 pm

Hi all,

This might be a silly question, but does anyone know if the summer funding amount ($4500 for 1L summer) is taxed?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”