NYU 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ksllaw

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby ksllaw » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:09 am

Hello,

What is the cost of living for attending NYU? Thanks very much!

banjo

Postby banjo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:54 pm

Any thoughts on Stuy Town anyone? I know that some NYU grad students live there, but wasn't sure about law students. I imagine it's too pricey...

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:05 pm

How does NYU Law fit in to the rest of the NYU community? I have a pretty strong aversion to NYU undergrad, and have some pretty negative opinions of the school. Obviously this isn't the best metric by which to choose a law school, but something that I'll still consider.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:54 pm

moonman157 wrote:How does NYU Law fit in to the rest of the NYU community? I have a pretty strong aversion to NYU undergrad, and have some pretty negative opinions of the school. Obviously this isn't the best metric by which to choose a law school, but something that I'll still consider.

NYU law is seperately managed and located. There's really no sense of connection at all to the undergrad from my experience.

izy223

Postby izy223 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:40 pm

moonman157 wrote:How does NYU Law fit in to the rest of the NYU community? I have a pretty strong aversion to NYU undergrad, and have some pretty negative opinions of the school. Obviously this isn't the best metric by which to choose a law school, but something that I'll still consider.

to give a personal annecdote, i needed to get color printing which the law school doesnt have but the regular university does. I got lost in the regular universities library and it was late night so there was no one to help. I ended up googling how to print in NYU library 4 months into my NYU Law life. It was the first time i have been in an NYU non law building. Its a separate school completlely

nodame

Postby nodame » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:29 pm

I know 1Ls only take required classes other than one elective in the spring term, but I was wondering what 2L and 3L schedules look like. How many credits do 2L and 3L students take each semester? Do they get to take whichever classes they want? Also, is it recommended to specialize and only take classes in the field you are interested in, or is it better to take classes from various fields and get more well-rounded?

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:56 pm

nodame wrote:I know 1Ls only take required classes other than one elective in the spring term, but I was wondering what 2L and 3L schedules look like. How many credits do 2L and 3L students take each semester? Do they get to take whichever classes they want? Also, is it recommended to specialize and only take classes in the field you are interested in, or is it better to take classes from various fields and get more well-rounded?

12 is the minimum and 15 is the maximum credits although you can ask to take more. Classes are worth between 2-5 credits with the standard being 3-4 classes having 3-4 credits. There is a bidding process where you can bid on any classes that you want, although some classes have pre or co-requisites. Constitutional law & Professional Responsibility are required before you graduate, everything else is up to you.

As for taking specialized or diverse classes, it's really up to you. My 2 cents is that you should probably take some core ("bar") classes such as Evidence or Tax as well as foundational classes like Corporations or basic International Law. But in the end you can load up your schedule with clinics and seminars if you like/have lucky bidding.

Edit: This all applies to 2L year, but there have been changes to 3L year at NYU which may make the above inapplicable.
Last edited by Detrox on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nodame

Postby nodame » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:01 pm

this is a really basic question, but could somewhat explain to me what clinics are?
also, are there people who choose not to do any clinic at all, or is it something that pretty much all 2Ls and 3Ls take at one point?

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:56 pm

nodame wrote:this is a really basic question, but could somewhat explain to me what clinics are?
also, are there people who choose not to do any clinic at all, or is it something that pretty much all 2Ls and 3Ls take at one point?

I should revise my answer above. All of my points are still true for 2L year, but 3L year has been changed as of next year so my comments are inapplicable to that.

On to your question/point, the way 3L year has been changed is to encourage more clinics in the 3L year, so while many people did not take clinics at all previously, they will be more encouraged and common in the future. As to what they are, they are essentially internships for class credit during the year. That's a bit of a simplification but it covers the main points: you will work for an agency or institution doing legal work (e.g. an AUSA office, indigent criminal defense organization, an environmental defense group, other legal related non-profits etc.). You will be overseen by either a professor affiliated with that institution or directly by employees of that group, and you will be given a task/tasks that furthers their goals. The work requirements are generally heavy (5 units) and there is usually a paper or something similar in place of a final. You apply for these before you can bid into them as classes with a packet of information (like resume, grades, brief questionaire etc.).

Others who have participated in clinics may be able to give more detailed answers as I'm sure some of the points I've made above may vary given a specific clinic, but those are the general details.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:32 pm

Pretty standard question, but why did you choose NYU? What factors did you consider, and what advice would you give for someone choosing between law schools and seriously considering NYU?

JWalker

Postby JWalker » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:17 pm

My decision came down to NYU at sticker or Michigan with a pretty generous scholarship and in the end I chose NYU because I'm definitely aiming for NYC biglaw. Honestly my heart was telling me to go to Michigan for a number of reasons, including the fact that I never thought of myself as a big city person, but as it turns out I was wrong. I'm having an amazing time here.

in_reverie

Postby in_reverie » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Have you taken any classes from Burt Neuborne (or know anything about him anecdotally)? He's teaching a First Amendment class at Stanford in the spring and I'm curious about his reputation/whether I should jump on it. Thanks!

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:52 pm

in_reverie wrote:Have you taken any classes from Burt Neuborne (or know anything about him anecdotally)? He's teaching a First Amendment class at Stanford in the spring and I'm curious about his reputation/whether I should jump on it. Thanks!

Great guy with a wealth of experience and some pretty interesting stories. That being said, I found it very difficult to learn the actual substance of the class he was teaching (Evidence), but no idea how he'd approach 1st Am. stuff.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:30 pm

JWalker wrote:My decision came down to NYU at sticker or Michigan with a pretty generous scholarship and in the end I chose NYU because I'm definitely aiming for NYC biglaw. Honestly my heart was telling me to go to Michigan for a number of reasons, including the fact that I never thought of myself as a big city person, but as it turns out I was wrong. I'm having an amazing time here.

Do you find that NYU really does have an extra pull for NYC firms? Obviously it's its home market, but I'm NYC biglaw or bust, so I'm trying to decide how much NYU's ability to place in NYC is worth. Thanks for the response!

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:31 pm

moonman157 wrote:
JWalker wrote:My decision came down to NYU at sticker or Michigan with a pretty generous scholarship and in the end I chose NYU because I'm definitely aiming for NYC biglaw. Honestly my heart was telling me to go to Michigan for a number of reasons, including the fact that I never thought of myself as a big city person, but as it turns out I was wrong. I'm having an amazing time here.

Do you find that NYU really does have an extra pull for NYC firms? Obviously it's its home market, but I'm NYC biglaw or bust, so I'm trying to decide how much NYU's ability to place in NYC is worth. Thanks for the response!

Really just depends on your other options.

nutella123

Postby nutella123 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:28 am

Detrox wrote:
in_reverie wrote:Have you taken any classes from Burt Neuborne (or know anything about him anecdotally)? He's teaching a First Amendment class at Stanford in the spring and I'm curious about his reputation/whether I should jump on it. Thanks!

Great guy with a wealth of experience and some pretty interesting stories. That being said, I found it very difficult to learn the actual substance of the class he was teaching (Evidence), but no idea how he'd approach 1st Am. stuff.

He's really hard to follow in Civ Pro, too. Great guy but classes not very illuminating.

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:31 pm

moonman157 wrote:

Outside of HYS, where obviously you'll have a better shot at anything, NYU and Columbia are the gold standard to NYC. So I guess it depends on what other schools you are looking at.

fips tedora

Postby fips tedora » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:53 pm

Are the NYU Blogs on the website credited or are the students that write a bunch of goobers?

eerie_erie

Postby eerie_erie » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:11 pm

No, we're "normal"* people who post on a volunteer basis. (I'm a blogger.)

*can any law school students be considered normal? Aren't we all unique snowflakes?

alex.feuerman

Postby alex.feuerman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:58 pm

snehpets wrote:
booboo wrote:
snehpets wrote:
booboo wrote:
Then make a decision on risk aversion, quality of life considerations, and where you feel you have a better chance to succeed. All I can say about NYU is that I love being here, I had that gut feeling at ASW that it would be so, and thus I think it has helped me want to do as well as I can in law school.

Yeah, this is why I'm torn. I feel like I'd be much happier at NYU (am visiting both next month) but I also don't want to trade 3 years of happiness for 40 of crushing debt I can't pay off or whatever, haha.

Well it depends on whether that happiness has some sort of conversion to how you are going to perform, grade wise. NYU and Chicago may have (literally) diametric approaches to law school schedules. I think Chicago back loads all of the exams so you take 2, 3, and then 4 exams at the end of each quarter. Also, LRW is graded. NYU Has three exams in the fall and three in the spring, and LRW ends about a month early along with being P/F.

I think trying to quantify the small difference in employment prospects is going to be a difficult, if not impossible. Just make a general judgment on what you think the right choice is based on an intuitive feeling, if that is what it comes down to. When you are in law school, you will get the feeling this is how Judges decide cases as well.
Lol.

Can't go to Chicago either way, haha, I'm WLed. I'm picking between CLS and NYU. Thanks for all of your help, this was really useful!

If you want to live / work in Chicago Columbia might be best. I think the "Columbia" name is more transferable than NYU. In the city they both have equal reputation and placement options but probably not outside the city so really think about where you want to be after LS

maggielizer

Postby maggielizer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:33 pm

Hey, I have a few questions for current applicants as well as the 1Ls.

Has anyone applied for RTK or any of the other named scholarships? When should we be hearing back about those?

I applied for RTK but was also an Early Decision applicant -- will that hurt my chances of becoming a finalist (since I'm locked into attending regardless of financial aid)?

Thanks!

xlawschoolhopefulx

Postby xlawschoolhopefulx » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:37 pm

maggielizer wrote:Hey, I have a few questions for current applicants as well as the 1Ls.

Has anyone applied for RTK or any of the other named scholarships? When should we be hearing back about those?

I applied for RTK but was also an Early Decision applicant -- will that hurt my chances of becoming a finalist (since I'm locked into attending regardless of financial aid)?

Thanks!

I applied ED and RTK last year- unfortunately did not get an interview but I don't think that was based on the fact that I applied ED. Supposedly it's an entirely separate process and the committee does not see how/when you applied.

Also, not exactly an answer to your question, but it sounds like you were insinuating that if you apply ED you can't get merit or need-based aid, which I can promise is not the case. I know plenty EDers, including myself, who received $$

maggielizer

Postby maggielizer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 pm

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:
maggielizer wrote:Hey, I have a few questions for current applicants as well as the 1Ls.

Thanks!

I applied ED and RTK last year- unfortunately did not get an interview but I don't think that was based on the fact that I applied ED. Supposedly it's an entirely separate process and the committee does not see how/when you applied.

Also, not exactly an answer to your question, but it sounds like you were insinuating that if you apply ED you can't get merit or need-based aid, which I can promise is not the case. I know plenty EDers, including myself, who received $$

Thank you! :) And I know it's *possible* to receive aid as an ED, but it is LESS likely, correct? (Obviously I'm hoping to get $$, but I've heard there's less floating around for ED-ers).

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:39 pm

Thanks!

I got AnByce last year. Finalist notifications came out February 22nd, interviews were late March with offers coming 2 days after interviews.

I don't know about other scholarships, but I can speak about AnBryce. Applying ED, to the best of my knowledge, has NO bearing whatsoever on your eligibility or chances at landing the scholarship. One of my closest friends got accepted ED and still got AnBryce.

Something to consider: AnBryce, and I imagine to some extent RTK and others, aren't so much about trying to win you away from other schools as they are about carefully picking out people they feel would be a good fit for the program and the school. Though I'd say the majority of the actual scholars got into at least one of YHS, the selection committees pick out kids with lower stats year after year because they fit the bill.

I should mention I'd be happy to answer any other specific AnBryce questions via PM. I've obviously had plenty of the kool-aid, but it really is great.

Graystone

Postby Graystone » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:40 pm

I think the "Columbia" name is more transferable than NYU. In the city they both have equal reputation and placement options but probably not outside the city so really think about where you want to be after LS

NYU 3L going to V50 here. I don't think that's true. I interviewed in many secondary markets, from Cleveland to Houston, and everyone received the degree well. NYU has enough people in these cities that it's a well-known commodity.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”