NYU 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Detrox

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby Detrox » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:21 am

TheKingintheNorth wrote:Also because it can't be said enough:

An NYU specific piece of advice for getting awesome grades is this: GO TO THE FUCKING TA SESSIONS.

Generally yes, but it definitely depends on the TA's...

IFoughtTheLaw

Postby IFoughtTheLaw » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:35 am

Detrox wrote:

An NYU specific piece of advice for getting awesome grades is this: GO TO THE FUCKING TA SESSIONS.

I disagree, mine were not worth the time (although I went).

Here's my advice: people hype up law school as if it's some unique place that requires radically different approaches and study habits to what you're used to.

I think it's bullshit. Trust your knowledge of yourself. If you find the TA sessions helpful, go. If you don't, don't. Same applies to highlighting, outlining, briefing, etc. If you're unsure, try it out.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:41 am

IFoughtTheLaw wrote:
Detrox wrote:

I disagree, mine were not worth the time (although I went).

Here's my advice: people hype up law school as if it's some unique place that requires radically different approaches and study habits to what you're used to.

I think it's bullshit. Trust your knowledge of yourself. If you find the TA sessions helpful, go. If you don't, don't. Same applies to highlighting, outlining, briefing, etc. If you're unsure, try it out.

This.

TheKingintheNorth

Postby TheKingintheNorth » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:14 am

I don't know, feel free to ignore TA sessions--at least for the classes where the professors explicitly allocate any and all final prep to the TAs--to the same extent you'd ignore the TLS Getting To Maybe/Practice Exam dogma. I don't think that recommendation was akin to how to take notes/which supplements, if any, to buy.

drbarry987

Postby drbarry987 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:43 pm

How is it not having a reading week before finals? Are students generally doing practice tests during the last few weeks of instruction?

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:50 pm

drbarry987 wrote:How is it not having a reading week before finals? Are students generally doing practice tests during the last few weeks of instruction?

Tough question to answer when people can't really compare as to what law school is like when you do have a reading week (except maybe transfers). As to the practice tests, depends on the class/prof and the amount of practice tests available. I generally start studying 2-4 weeks before the last day of class, and start taking practice tests 1-2 weeks before. I know plenty of people who do way more or less according to their own preferences. Would a reading period be helpful? Of course. Do I/anyone I know really struggle with it and complain about it? Not really, finals suck no matter how much time you get to prepare.

Probably the least helpful answer possible, but it's honest.

drbarry987

Postby drbarry987 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:12 am

helpful. ty

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:07 pm

Can anyone speak to the general timeframe of ED decisions at NYU? I'll admit I think I have a *very small* preference for Penn over NYU right now, but if NYU has a much faster turn around it might be smart to ED to NYU first. Hoping to ED to as many schools as I can to give myself the best shot.

My priority is basically P>N>M>V. 3.2, 172, somewhat NA, pretty good softs

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:12 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:Can anyone speak to the general timeframe of ED decisions at NYU? I'll admit I think I have a *very small* preference for Penn over NYU right now, but if NYU has a much faster turn around it might be smart to ED to NYU first. Hoping to ED to as many schools as I can to give myself the best shot.

You aren't going to be able to ED multiple ones of P, N, and M I don't think. V can be last. You won't hear back from NYU until December. I don't know about Penn. Also, a 3.2/172 ED at either Penn or NYU is asking for a lot. Certainly not impossible, but probably less than 50/50. Regardless, good luck! And if you have any more NYU questions feel free to fire away.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:32 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:Can anyone speak to the general timeframe of ED decisions at NYU? I'll admit I think I have a *very small* preference for Penn over NYU right now, but if NYU has a much faster turn around it might be smart to ED to NYU first. Hoping to ED to as many schools as I can to give myself the best shot.

You aren't going to be able to ED multiple ones of P, N, and M I don't think. V can be last. You won't hear back from NYU until December. I don't know about Penn. Also, a 3.2/172 ED at either Penn or NYU is asking for a lot. Certainly not impossible, but probably less than 50/50. Regardless, good luck! And if you have any more NYU questions feel free to fire away.

Thanks for that. Yea I realize they may be reaches, but I figure that with a minor NA boost, I'd like to take the shot before settling for the UVA, which I think I have a pretty good shot at.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:48 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

Thanks for that. Yea I realize they may be reaches, but I figure that with a minor NA boost, I'd like to take the shot before settling for the UVA, which I think I have a pretty good shot at.

Factoring in NA can make a big difference. But I don't know enough about URM boosts to speak intelligibly on it. Also, double check what I said about the ED deadlines. I think the issue will be that most of the apps are due by sometime in November but you won't hear from any of them until December or so. Something like that.

xlawschoolhopefulx

Postby xlawschoolhopefulx » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:04 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

Factoring in NA can make a big difference. But I don't know enough about URM boosts to speak intelligibly on it. Also, double check what I said about the ED deadlines. I think the issue will be that most of the apps are due by sometime in November but you won't hear from any of them until December or so. Something like that.

Regardless of the deadlines, I don't think you'll be able to ED to multiple schools. IIRC Penn/NYU released their ED decisions within a week of each other (both after the November deadline). Since the decisions are binding, you can't apply to more than one.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:56 pm

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:Regardless of the deadlines, I don't think you'll be able to ED to multiple schools. IIRC Penn/NYU released their ED decisions within a week of each other (both after the November deadline). Since the decisions are binding, you can't apply to more than one.

You can certainly apply ED in this order: N/P/M then V then Georgetown. I was just trying to find out if any of the other schools besides Virginia have very quick turnaround on ED apps, but it seems Virginia is the only one.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:32 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:Regardless of the deadlines, I don't think you'll be able to ED to multiple schools. IIRC Penn/NYU released their ED decisions within a week of each other (both after the November deadline). Since the decisions are binding, you can't apply to more than one.

You can certainly apply ED in this order: N/P/M then V then Georgetown. I was just trying to find out if any of the other schools besides Virginia have very quick turnaround on ED apps, but it seems Virginia is the only one.

I don't know where you are finding this information, but you can't ED more than one of N/P/M. They all have ED application deadlines in early November and none of them will get back to you earlier than December. If you are just trying to game the system and maximize your chances, pick one and ED to V/GULC if you don't get in, if you aren't sure which one you like better, don't ED to any of them.

Law school isn't like college where ED acceptance rates are like 3x higher than RD. They aren't going to dip THAT much further down if the numbers aren't there. For 95% of people ED isn't really worth it since they would have gotten in anyway if they had just applied early in the cycle RD and they lose the chance to negotiate for money. If you are NA then you should definitely get into one of NYU, Penn, or Michigan with $ and play them off each other.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:48 pm

chasgoose wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:

I don't know where you are finding this information, but you can't ED more than one of N/P/M. They all have ED application deadlines in early November and none of them will get back to you earlier than December. If you are just trying to game the system and maximize your chances, pick one and ED to V/GULC if you don't get in, if you aren't sure which one you like better, don't ED to any of them.

Law school isn't like college where ED acceptance rates are like 3x higher than RD. They aren't going to dip THAT much further down if the numbers aren't there. For 95% of people ED isn't really worth it since they would have gotten in anyway if they had just applied early in the cycle RD and they lose the chance to negotiate for money. If you are NA then you should definitely get into one of NYU, Penn, or Michigan with $ and play them off each other.

I didn't imply that you could ED to all of them; by N/P/M I meant you can ED to N or P or M then V then G.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:37 pm

So I just bought a new Mac and I've heard it mentioned several times that you need Microsoft Word for LS.

1. Is Word itself actually needed at NYU?

2. My old school had a huge discount on software like Word for students. Does NYU do something similar?

Thanks in advance

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:33 pm

vincanity1 wrote:So I just bought a new Mac and I've heard it mentioned several times that you need Microsoft Word for LS.

2. My old school had a huge discount on software like Word for students. Does NYU do something similar?

Thanks in advance

Not necessary, but perhaps more convenient. And yeah, there are student discounts.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:43 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:So I just bought a new Mac and I've heard it mentioned several times that you need Microsoft Word for LS.

Thanks in advance

Not necessary, but perhaps more convenient. And yeah, there are student discounts.

Appreciate the response and thanks for being around to share info and answer q's.

Just

Postby Just » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:52 pm

Do most classes have 90+ people?Even 2L,3L courses?

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:19 am

Just wrote:Do most classes have 90+ people?Even 2L,3L courses?

Highly depends on the class. Your 1L classes will be with your ~90 person section. 2L bar classes like corporations, property, or constitutional law will similarly have about the same amount of people. Other upper level classes such as colloquiums, seminars, or less popular classes (e.g. Tax, Law of War, Legal History/Philosophy) will have much smaller class sizes anywhere between 5 and 50 people.

Just

Postby Just » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:10 am

Detrox wrote:

Highly depends on the class. Your 1L classes will be with your ~90 person section. 2L bar classes like corporations, property, or constitutional law will similarly have about the same amount of people. Other upper level classes such as colloquiums, seminars, or less popular classes (e.g. Tax, Law of War, Legal History/Philosophy) will have much smaller class sizes anywhere between 5 and 50 people.

Thanks!What about the writing class?

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:17 pm

Just wrote:
Detrox wrote:

Writing class is composed of a smaller contingent from the group that you'll be taking your 1L substantive classes with. It's sadly been a while since 1L year for me, but I think the writing sections were about 10-20 people.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:40 pm

Detrox wrote:
Just wrote:
Detrox wrote:

Writing class is composed of a smaller contingent from the group that you'll be taking your 1L substantive classes with. It's sadly been a while since 1L year for me, but I think the writing sections were about 10-20 people.

Almost all sections are of 30. Each 90 person section gets divided into 3 for the Lawyering classes.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:48 pm

Oops. Must have just been my section's attendance to LRW that made it seem so low haha.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:51 pm

Detrox wrote:Oops. Must have just been my section's attendance to LRW that made it seem so low haha.

There are always two sections of 15, so you may have been in one of those.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”