NYU 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
birdlaw117

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:53 am

Fiddler08 wrote:Do you know any law students with spouses? Do they have a hard time integrating into the law school community? How often does their spouse accompany them to events, etc.?

There aren't many spouse-friendly official events, but many will hang out with the law school crowd at times. Some do, some don't, but I think it has more to do with wanting or not wanting to do that than it actually being difficult.

nyuwithbadgrades

Postby nyuwithbadgrades » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:17 pm

anybody know how to access the vault guide on CSM? its on the front page of CSM but when I click on it it asks for a login. Any help appreciated.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:41 pm

nyuwithbadgrades wrote:anybody know how to access the vault guide on CSM? its on the front page of CSM but when I click on it it asks for a login. Any help appreciated.

Username should just be your nyu email address, click forgot password since I forget if they give you a random one at first or if its a personal password that theyve just carried over.

nyuwithbadgrades

Postby nyuwithbadgrades » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:00 pm

Detrox wrote:
nyuwithbadgrades wrote:anybody know how to access the vault guide on CSM? its on the front page of CSM but when I click on it it asks for a login. Any help appreciated.

Username should just be your nyu email address, click forgot password since I forget if they give you a random one at first or if its a personal password that theyve just carried over.

hm, it's not recognizing my nyu email even when i click forgot password. any other ideas?

IFoughtTheLaw

Postby IFoughtTheLaw » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:04 pm

nyuwithbadgrades wrote:
Detrox wrote:

hm, it's not recognizing my nyu email even when i click forgot password. any other ideas?

There's a big "create an account" button on the right...

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:06 pm

IFoughtTheLaw wrote:
nyuwithbadgrades wrote:
Detrox wrote:

There's a big "create an account" button on the right...

This. Sorry I did this stuff over a year ago. Get my comeuppance for posting in the 1L advice thread.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:25 pm

IFoughtTheLaw wrote:There's a big "create an account" button on the right...

Came here to post this.

xlawschoolhopefulx

Postby xlawschoolhopefulx » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:58 am

nyuwithbadgrades wrote:
Detrox wrote:

Even though I believe it is possible to create a new account at this point, it is strongly worded in various places that entering 1Ls should not have access to stuff inside the OCS.

One such example: "September-October 1L students participate in general orientation where they are introduced to the OCS career counselors. Per the guidelines set by the National Association of Law Placement (NALP), students may not interact with the OCS until November 1, nor contact employers until December 1."

IFoughtTheLaw

Postby IFoughtTheLaw » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:45 pm

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:
nyuwithbadgrades wrote:
Detrox wrote:

Even though I believe it is possible to create a new account at this point, it is strongly worded in various places that entering 1Ls should not have access to stuff inside the OCS.

One such example: "September-October 1L students participate in general orientation where they are introduced to the OCS career counselors. Per the guidelines set by the National Association of Law Placement (NALP), students may not interact with the OCS until November 1, nor contact employers until December 1."

1) The guy who asked is a rising 2L, hence his screen-name (which may in part be caused by his inability to read obvious directions).

2) He also asked about a Vault account, not OCS.

3) If you are 0L debating trying to create an OCS account, go for it. No one cares. (It's also not exciting and probably a waste of your time.) The NALP guidelines are more about trying to gain employment pre 12/1, not reading a Vault guide.

Sorry, I'm in a snarky mood today. :mrgreen:

Fiddler08

Postby Fiddler08 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:16 pm

Do any of you recommend joining a student organization 1L year? How many are you currently part of (and do you feel it's too many or too few)?

IFoughtTheLaw

Postby IFoughtTheLaw » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:48 pm

Fiddler08 wrote:Do any of you recommend joining a student organization 1L year? How many are you currently part of (and do you feel it's too many or too few)?

For sure, it's great interview filler. Many have very minimal requirements. For example, Student Representation Project and Unemployment Action Center both let you take cases and represent people. But once you've done the training, you can take as few or as many cases as you like. I also think it's great practical experience.
Last edited by IFoughtTheLaw on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheKingintheNorth

Postby TheKingintheNorth » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:56 pm

Fiddler08 wrote:Do any of you recommend joining a student organization 1L year? How many are you currently part of (and do you feel it's too many or too few)?

Hells yeah. I think the student organizations here, especially vis-a-vis the opportunities they create for 1Ls, distinguish NYU from Columbia and Chicago.

Between the Student Representation Project, the Unemployment Action (Center?) (both of which are New York-wide, but began and remain headquartered at NYU), and the Mediation clinic, there's something that gets you out of the Village, gives you something awesome to talk about in interviews, and provides "real-world" experience. They throw you into the deep end and shoulder you with an insane amount of responsibility, which is scary, but incredibly worth it.

Moving beyond the gunner logic: They're great ways to connect with your classmates.

I did two SRP cases and became a founding member of both the Running Club and a Know Your Rights group--where we went to middle schools in the bronx and harlem to teach kids how to deal with the police. I "participated" in the Law and Film Society, a group started by avid (former?) members of this very internet website to watch The Wire. I also became a--and eventually trained--legal observers during the Occupy stuff.

It sounds like a lot, but it really didn't take up that much of my time. Most organizations pride and advertise themselves as "low-commitment." Setting up your own is encouraged, and it's incredibly easy to make them official and get a bit of funding.

poe

Postby poe » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:40 am

Are there a limited number of spots in organizations like the Student Representation Project and the Unemployment Action Center? Or is pretty much anyone who wants to join able to do so?

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:57 am

poe wrote:Are there a limited number of spots in organizations like the Student Representation Project and the Unemployment Action Center? Or is pretty much anyone who wants to join able to do so?

open to all.

IFoughtTheLaw

Postby IFoughtTheLaw » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:50 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
poe wrote:Are there a limited number of spots in organizations like the Student Representation Project and the Unemployment Action Center? Or is pretty much anyone who wants to join able to do so?

open to all.

The only one I know of with limited spots is the Mediation group, which is just a straight random lottery each semester.

SRP is open to all, but you have to let them know when you are free to take cases. If you are open with your schedule you'll get a case, but if you say you ate only free a couple of days in the semester, you might not get one.

izy223

Postby izy223 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:10 pm

I just found out that im going to be having significant downtime this summer, which i will be filling with reading books.

I was wondering were i to buy i supplement for next year- which supplement would be best to read over the summer, and will definitely have use over the first semester next year? I understand the basic merits or lack thereof of OL prep but i figured if i have time to read i might as well attempt to prep. And if i don't get to it at least i will own the supplement and be able to use it next year.

thanks for all your help

IFoughtTheLaw

Postby IFoughtTheLaw » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:22 pm

izy223 wrote:I just found out that im going to be having significant downtime this summer, which i will be filling with reading books.

I was wondering were i to buy i supplement for next year- which supplement would be best to read over the summer, and will definitely have use over the first semester next year? I understand the basic merits or lack thereof of OL prep but i figured if i have time to read i might as well attempt to prep. And if i don't get to it at least i will own the supplement and be able to use it next year.

thanks for all your help

Getting to Maybe or 1L of a Ride might be worth a quick read, but I found them pretty meh.

As for supplements, it depends on the class. I generally like the E&E series, but, for example, the Criminal law one is supposed to be terrible.

I did not do this myself, but I think it would be useful to quickly read through a supplement before class. Skim though, don't worry about actually understanding everything. I just think it's nice to have a framework of "this is what Admin Law is, and the major topics" so that you follow along better in class. Or alternatively, reading it alongside the coursework, as opposed to waiting until the end of the semester to figure out things you never understood earlier.

izy223

Postby izy223 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:26 pm

IFoughtTheLaw wrote:
izy223 wrote:I just found out that im going to be having significant downtime this summer, which i will be filling with reading books.

thanks for all your help

Getting to Maybe or 1L of a Ride might be worth a quick read, but I found them pretty meh.

As for supplements, it depends on the class. I generally like the E&E series, but, for example, the Criminal law one is supposed to be terrible.

I did not do this myself, but I think it would be useful to quickly read through a supplement before class. Skim though, don't worry about actually understanding everything. I just think it's nice to have a framework of "this is what Admin Law is, and the major topics" so that you follow along better in class. Or alternatively, reading it alongside the coursework, as opposed to waiting until the end of the semester to figure out things you never understood earlier.

is there a way i can know for sure which classes i am taking first semester? i know that i will be taking Contracts, Torts, Criminal Law, Civil Procedure, Administrative Law but i only will have time to read one or two of the supplements and i would want to read the ones that are for the first semester

IFoughtTheLaw

Postby IFoughtTheLaw » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:32 pm

izy223 wrote:
IFoughtTheLaw wrote:

thanks for all your help

is there a way i can know for sure which classes i am taking first semester? i know that i will be taking Contracts, Torts, Criminal Law, Civil Procedure, Administrative Law but i only will have time to read one or two of the supplements and i would want to read the ones that are for the first semester

I forget at what point we found our classes. Browsing through the class of 2014 and class of 2015 nyu threads might be helpful.

I _think_ that everyone takes Civ Pro and Contracts first semester. Almost definitely Civ Pro (I think...).

And really, when I suggest reading the supplement before class, I do mean quickly. Skim through it in a few hours. Don't waste much of your time. You'll forget it all anyway.

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:32 pm

Are the floors in D'Ag carpeted?

Fiddler08

Postby Fiddler08 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:09 pm

Here's a list of first year classes. They seem to be pre-divided by semester (we're all taking Civ Pro in the fall, etc.):

http://www.law.nyu.edu/academics/course ... /index.htm

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:15 pm

izy223 wrote:
IFoughtTheLaw wrote:

thanks for all your help

Your first goal should be to relax. It's a marathon, not a sprint. The people who hate law school are the ones who don't know when to stop pouring inefficient effort into things, and that's what you'll be doing by reading supplements over the summer.

izy223

Postby izy223 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
izy223 wrote:
IFoughtTheLaw wrote:

thanks for all your help

Your first goal should be to relax. It's a marathon, not a sprint. The people who hate law school are the ones who don't know when to stop pouring inefficient effort into things, and that's what you'll be doing by reading supplements over the summer.

i know thats why i just want to buy a supplement i will def use during the year so i can just skim through it to get a feel for what a law class really is and not feel bad when i dont use it much over the summer.

and thanks for posting the classes i will look into one of the e and es for those classes soon!

TheKingintheNorth

Postby TheKingintheNorth » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:49 pm

thanks for all your help

Read getting to maybe and just relax. Go to some music festivals, take a trip (literally and figuratively, if you know what I mean). If you get nervous about not preparing read getting to maybe again.

Not only is there zero benefit to looking at E&Es and whatever now, but it may actually be pretty harmful. They'll confuse you more than they will help until November. Professors, or at least NYU 1L professors, think they're special. Mostly because they are. And while yes you'll read Palsgraf and Herzog in every Torts class and Pierson v. Post in every property class, you'll be reading plenty of shit and studying plenty of topics that go way beyond what you'll find in any commercial book--including casebooks. In a good half of your classes a substantial part of your readings will be blackboard printouts (I.E. cases or articles handpicked by the professor), unless your professor edited/mentored the author of/wrote the casebook (which is the other 50%).

So chill.

And yes. D'ag has carpets.

TheKingintheNorth

Postby TheKingintheNorth » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Also because it can't be said enough:

An NYU specific piece of advice for getting awesome grades is this: GO TO THE FUCKING TA SESSIONS.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”