NYU 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
birdlaw117

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:05 pm

izy223 wrote:
drbarry987 wrote:dumb question - but do we get a lawstudent@nyu.law.edu email address? All I have is a lawstudent@nyu.edu account.

bumping this because im wondering this too

Supposedly yes, but I don't know how to do it.

theaether

Postby theaether » Wed May 23, 2012 4:08 pm

when do u get your pass card for the gym?

booboo

Postby booboo » Wed May 23, 2012 4:19 pm

For Coles and Palladium, you/they swipe your ID card.

sophie316

Postby sophie316 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:17 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
izy223 wrote:
drbarry987 wrote:dumb question - but do we get a lawstudent@nyu.law.edu email address? All I have is a lawstudent@nyu.edu account.

You definitely do, but I cannot for the life of me remember how to do it. It might just automatically work, try it...I;ll see if I can figure out how I set it up.

- Recently graduated 3L.

TheKingintheNorth

Postby TheKingintheNorth » Wed May 23, 2012 11:45 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
izy223 wrote:

you already have it. try emailing something to firstname.lastname@law.nyu.edu and you should get it.

TheKingintheNorth

Postby TheKingintheNorth » Thu May 24, 2012 12:00 am

jim-green wrote:NYU over Cal
-------------------
2. While Berkeley may rank #1 in IP, NYU is #5, so not far behind in terms of IP classes, publications, etc. I have talked to 2 NYU IP profs and they are top-notch.

Cal over NYU
-------------------
1. Berkeley is known to be better (rank 1) in IP

NYU IP is hot and getting hotter right now, but I just learned that, and I guarantee my classmates reading this will have no idea what I'm talking about. The kind of firms and hiring partners who even know about this are gonna have such high standards (circuit court clerkships, top 3.7+ gaps, law review) that the 'IP rankings,' if such a thing is even as ubiquitous as the overall law school rankings, won't matter. Also note that even in California NYU is going to have a formidable alumni base.

I'm sure you've heard this a thousand times but pick the school that gives you the most money (or if you're a California resident go Berkley, though I'm not sure if tuition is discounted) If both schools offer you nothing or the same, then go Berkeley if you're deadset on practicing in California. If there's a non-trivial possibility you want to work anywhere else in the world, go NYU.

edit: maybe I shouldn't have stopped reading at the IP thing. You have plenty of good reasons to do Boalt over NYU via your family situation.

However, you're "probably have to live in Brooklyn" thing is wrong. Jersey City and Hobokon are just as close to downtown Manhattan and may even be a better value than downtown Brooklyn. That would also help with your wife's situation. Jersey v. Bay Area is a pretty easy choice, though, I think.
Last edited by TheKingintheNorth on Thu May 24, 2012 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:04 am

TheKingintheNorth wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
izy223 wrote:

you already have it. try emailing something to firstname.lastname@law.nyu.edu and you should get it.

Didn't work...

TheKingintheNorth

Postby TheKingintheNorth » Thu May 24, 2012 12:16 am

TheKingintheNorth

Postby TheKingintheNorth » Thu May 24, 2012 12:27 am

Actually I think I just gave you really shitty instructions. When I send an email to myself I don't see it either, but when I have someone else send an email or when I send it from another account I get it.

PM your email and ill test it that way

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu May 24, 2012 4:26 pm

Anyone doing JD/MAs, or know someone doing them? If so, are 3 or 3.5-4 years more common for doing them?

TheKingintheNorth

Postby TheKingintheNorth » Fri May 25, 2012 2:00 am

Doorkeeper wrote:Anyone doing JD/MAs, or know someone doing them? If so, are 3 or 3.5-4 years more common for doing them?

4. 5 semesters at the law school (including the final semester) and 3 somewhere else.

The MBA program (Jacobson) is law-law-stern-law with a bunch of cross-listed classes (Easy As, from what some 3Ls tell me!), programs and clinics throughout. It's also really really good and competitive.

Edit: there is also a non-Jacobson JD/MBA.

TheKingintheNorth

Postby TheKingintheNorth » Fri May 25, 2012 2:05 am

sweet avatar, btw

IFoughtTheLaw

Postby IFoughtTheLaw » Fri May 25, 2012 1:26 pm

- no dishwashers in dorms

- xyz123@nyu.edu is automatic. somewhere on NYU Home or NYU ITS page you can set-up first.last@law.nyu.edu as an alias. I've seen some people with first.last@nyu.edu, I have no idea how they did that.

- Any computer or tablet should be fine, the only wrinkle is the Exam-taking software, which has very basic requirements:

Exam4 requires a laptop or desktop computer with:
Supported operating systems:
Microsoft Windows Vista
Microsoft Windows 7
Apple Macintosh OS X 10.5 Leopard
Apple Macintosh OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Apple Macintosh OS X 10.7 Lion
10 MB free hard disk space (a very small amount).
Network connection and/or working USB port (as required by your institution).
Minimum 800x600 screen resolution.
Virtual operating systems are not supported.

notchandlerbing

Postby notchandlerbing » Wed May 30, 2012 3:50 pm

What's the closest bank to campus? Sorry, random question...

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:57 pm

notchandlerbing wrote:What's the closest bank to campus? Sorry, random question...

I would recommend chase or bank of America. Both have reasonably close ATMs and they have ATMs and branches all over manhattan.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Wed May 30, 2012 3:57 pm

notchandlerbing wrote:What's the closest bank to campus? Sorry, random question...

Chase, I think...

IFoughtTheLaw

Postby IFoughtTheLaw » Wed May 30, 2012 3:58 pm

I don't know. Who cares. There's probably several banks within close distance.

Are you moving to NYC? If you want a general suggestion for a convenient NYC bank: Chase. They have the most ATMs in NYC (every Chase bank, plus every Duane Reade).

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Wed May 30, 2012 4:05 pm

Just opened up a Chase account myself. Apparently, Wells Fargo's are tough to find in NYC. Also, there's a $125-$200 bonus for opening a checking account

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Wed May 30, 2012 4:34 pm

TheKingintheNorth wrote:http://www.nyu.edu/its/email/address/

helpful?

That link has instructions for setting up a new email address. I just submitted my request but it says it'll take two hours for it to start working so I'll update when I've got it.

Fiddler08

Postby Fiddler08 » Wed May 30, 2012 5:02 pm

A couple of the schools I visited mentioned they had traditions where groups of students could arrange for a professor to take them to lunch at the faculty dining room. Does NYU have anything similar to that?

On a similar note, how hard has it seemed to be to get a research assistant job ? Are they fairly competitive? Is there a formalized process for applying?

IFoughtTheLaw

Postby IFoughtTheLaw » Wed May 30, 2012 6:07 pm

Fiddler08 wrote:A couple of the schools I visited mentioned they had traditions where groups of students could arrange for a professor to take them to lunch at the faculty dining room. Does NYU have anything similar to that?

On a similar note, how hard has it seemed to be to get a research assistant job ? Are they fairly competitive? Is there a formalized process for applying?

I think something like 4 out of 6 of my 1L professors offered lunch signups throughout the year where they would eat with ~10 students each week. They may not have had room for everyone, but as long as you were pretty quick with your e-mail you could grab a spot. In general, they try hard to be there for 1Ls in a manner beyond just teaching a class. Hench, the lunches.

I don't know anyone who was an RA as 1L. For your 1L summer it's probably not too difficult to get an RA gig. Grades help. Being interested in the professors area helps. Having had the prof as a 1L helps. But if you end up unemployed, you could probably get a gig with one of them anyways as a backup.

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Wed May 30, 2012 9:00 pm

Fiddler08 wrote:On a similar note, how hard has it seemed to be to get a research assistant job ? Are they fairly competitive? Is there a formalized process for applying?

Medium / Maybe for baller profs / Cover letter, resume, and the usual — all after a certain date

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed May 30, 2012 9:09 pm

Fiddler08 wrote:On a similar note, how hard has it seemed to be to get a research assistant job ? Are they fairly competitive? Is there a formalized process for applying?

Not hard at all if you just want a RA position. Profs will post openings in the mid-spring and people without other summer things lined up will apply. Probably harder if you want to work for a particular well-known professor, depending on the prof. Some will have a hoard of RAs and pretty much take on anyone who they know, some are more selective. In general, though, if you want to RA, you can do it. It's not generally an especially popular thing to do.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Wed May 30, 2012 9:43 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:

Not hard at all if you just want a RA position. Profs will post openings in the mid-spring and people without other summer things lined up will apply. Probably harder if you want to work for a particular well-known professor, depending on the prof. Some will have a hoard of RAs and pretty much take on anyone who they know, some are more selective. In general, though, if you want to RA, you can do it. It's not generally an especially popular thing to do.

This. The "formalized" process is just applying with the requisite papers, resume, grades etc. after they post notice/tell the class. Finding "an" RA position is easy as they are posted well through winter into spring. Getting an RA position with top professors will depend heavily on your grades and applying early, and almost always you'll have to have taken a class with them.

Fiddler08

Postby Fiddler08 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:40 am

Do you know any law students with spouses? Do they have a hard time integrating into the law school community? How often does their spouse accompany them to events, etc.?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”