NYU 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
birdlaw117

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:33 am

RonnyDworkin wrote:Perhaps this is a silly question, but for those with magazine and newspaper subscriptions and living on-campus, are the items just dropped off in front of Dag/Mercer? Is there a problem with people taking other people's papers and magazines?

Newspapers get placed outside your door in the hallway. I don't think anyone has issues with people stealing their newspapers. In fact I have seen newspapers piling up outside of doors for quite a few days when someone is gone. I assume magazines just go in your mailbox.

izy223

Postby izy223 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:37 am

birdlaw117 wrote:To subscribe to Coases you need to be on the main NYU Home page. If you scroll down there should be a section called "Lists." Click on "Browse and Subscribe" and then Ctr+F "Law" or something. It's listed as "coases-list" / Law School Exchange.

i dont think admitted students can join i dont see a link page on the NYU Home main page but i could just be blind

drbarry987

Postby drbarry987 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:56 am

Does NYU have any kind of a reading period before finals? Or are exams pretty much right after classes end? ty, current students!

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:18 pm

Is NYU Cable TV any good? Debating whether to buy a TV for my room

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue May 01, 2012 3:50 pm

drbarry987 wrote:Does NYU have any kind of a reading period before finals? Or are exams pretty much right after classes end? ty, current students!

No need for current students to answer this one.
http://www.law.nyu.edu/academicservices ... /index.htm

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Tue May 01, 2012 4:11 pm

vincanity1 wrote:Is NYU Cable TV any good? Debating whether to buy a TV for my room

Disclaimer: I'm kind of a tv addict.

I really like NYU Cable, as a free service it's pretty good. My undergrad had pay cable only so maybe that's just my distorted perspective. But having ~10 HD channels including the major ones (Fox, NBC, CBS, ABC, ESPN) + some others (TBS, Food, Discovery) is very nice if you have a decent tv. The standard channels give you about 50 options with about everything you may need, except the premium channels which if you really want you can pay for online service. Additionally, although it's not hd, I really like the NYU movie channel. It gets pretty new/popular/interesting movies out pretty quickly and is a nice fallback if theres nothing on, but it still definitely has a lot of scheduling and technical issues. Overall, I'm happy with the cable.

Anyway that's my 2 cents.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:22 pm

Detrox wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:Is NYU Cable TV any good? Debating whether to buy a TV for my room

Disclaimer: I'm kind of a tv addict.

I really like NYU Cable, as a free service it's pretty good. My undergrad had pay cable only so maybe that's just my distorted perspective. But having ~10 HD channels including the major ones (Fox, NBC, CBS, ABC, ESPN) + some others (TBS, Food, Discovery) is very nice if you have a decent tv. The standard channels give you about 50 options with about everything you may need, except the premium channels which if you really want you can pay for online service. Additionally, although it's not hd, I really like the NYU movie channel. It gets pretty new/popular/interesting movies out pretty quickly and is a nice fallback if theres nothing on, but it still definitely has a lot of scheduling and technical issues. Overall, I'm happy with the cable.

Anyway that's my 2 cents.

Awesome. As a fellow TV addict, I appreciate the response. Now to shop for deals

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:31 pm

The NYU movie channel is also in HD now actually. Not sure when it happened, but sometime during this school year for sure.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Tue May 01, 2012 4:45 pm

They say it's in hd, but I remain unable to access it in hd, although that may just be me.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:46 pm

Detrox wrote:They say it's in hd, but I remain unable to access it in hd, although that may just be me.

I have it in HD. Did you try going to 15-1?

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Wed May 02, 2012 12:26 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
Detrox wrote:They say it's in hd, but I remain unable to access it in hd, although that may just be me.

I have it in HD. Did you try going to 15-1?

Yep, no signal. Guess it's a blessing in disguise during finals weeks.

knickerbocker

Postby knickerbocker » Wed May 02, 2012 5:25 pm

For people depositing now, is there any chance of getting a 1 bedroom in NYU housing?

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Wed May 02, 2012 7:33 pm

knickerbocker wrote:For people depositing now, is there any chance of getting a 1 bedroom in NYU housing?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure its hard for a 1L to get a 1 bedroom in NYU housing no matter when they submit their housing application.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:22 pm

chasgoose wrote:
knickerbocker wrote:For people depositing now, is there any chance of getting a 1 bedroom in NYU housing?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure its hard for a 1L to get a 1 bedroom in NYU housing no matter when they submit their housing application.

knickerbocker

Postby knickerbocker » Thu May 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Aside from LRW, do NYU law students have to write papers, or is it all exams?

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Thu May 03, 2012 3:43 pm

knickerbocker wrote:Aside from LRW, do NYU law students have to write papers, or is it all exams?

Standard bar courses generally have exams. All 1L courses have exams. Seminars generally have papers, and some upper level courses have papers or sometimes give the option of writing a paper instead of taking an exam.

knickerbocker

Postby knickerbocker » Fri May 04, 2012 1:09 pm

How many finals do 1Ls take each semester?

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Fri May 04, 2012 1:16 pm

knickerbocker wrote:How many finals do 1Ls take each semester?

xlawschoolhopefulx

Postby xlawschoolhopefulx » Fri May 04, 2012 2:29 pm

These are really random questions (and they probably sound really silly and over-anxious) but I'm moving to the area for the first time in a few weeks and have some questions for anyone who lives nearby (I will be less than 2 blocks for the school, so figure the immediate surrounding area when answering).

Basically, the building I am moving into has no laundry (apparently normal for a walk-up, but very new to me), so I was wondering if anyone knows of the cheapest place that will pick up and deliver or a CLOSE place I can go myself. I really am not looking forward to lugging bags full of laundry all over the village.

Also, what's a good place for random shopping (like a convenience store) for health and beauty aids? I've been in the area a bit but I don't remember passing any Duane Reade type stores except on Broadway, which is a bit of a trek for something little like a bottle of shampoo.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Fri May 04, 2012 2:56 pm

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:These are really random questions (and they probably sound really silly and over-anxious) but I'm moving to the area for the first time in a few weeks and have some questions for anyone who lives nearby (I will be less than 2 blocks for the school, so figure the immediate surrounding area when answering).

Basically, the building I am moving into has no laundry (apparently normal for a walk-up, but very new to me), so I was wondering if anyone knows of the cheapest place that will pick up and deliver or a CLOSE place I can go myself. I really am not looking forward to lugging bags full of laundry all over the village.

Also, what's a good place for random shopping (like a convenience store) for health and beauty aids? I've been in the area a bit but I don't remember passing any Duane Reade type stores except on Broadway, which is a bit of a trek for something little like a bottle of shampoo.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

There's a coin laundry like a block away from the school, but I don't know anything about it/delivery services.

There's a CVS on bleeker about two blocks from the school, and there's duane reades all over broadway which may seem far away at first but you'll likely be there often. Other than those, there are pretty much convenience stores everywhere in the city so I can't imagine this will be a big problem.

arez

Postby arez » Sun May 06, 2012 12:03 am

When will incoming 1Ls find out our schedule? During the summer or not until orientation? Thanks!

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Sun May 06, 2012 1:52 am

Detrox wrote:
knickerbocker wrote:Aside from LRW, do NYU law students have to write papers, or is it all exams?

Standard bar courses generally have exams. All 1L courses have exams. Seminars generally have papers, and some upper level courses have papers or sometimes give the option of writing a paper instead of taking an exam.

You're required to write a long (30-ish pages, I think) paper to graduate.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Sun May 06, 2012 9:38 am

arez wrote:When will incoming 1Ls find out our schedule? During the summer or not until orientation? Thanks!

Technically not until orientation, but if you stay here you will find out sooner. There are ways...

arez

Postby arez » Sun May 06, 2012 4:03 pm

chasgoose wrote:
arez wrote:When will incoming 1Ls find out our schedule? During the summer or not until orientation? Thanks!

Technically not until orientation, but if you stay here you will find out sooner. There are ways...

Care to elaborate??

knickerbocker

Postby knickerbocker » Sun May 06, 2012 5:32 pm

What kind of things do NYU students do their 1L summer? Is finding something to do difficult? What ate your options?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”