NYU 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
snehpets

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby snehpets » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:34 am

ahduth wrote:I handed over 8 grand to get my 1700/month apartment: first and last month's rent, one month security deposit, 3 thousand dollar broker's fee. Fun times.

I died a little inside reading this, but I guess I wasn't really anticipating any less except in my deluded imagination. Thanks for all the tips everyone!

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:35 am

snehpets wrote:
ahduth wrote:I handed over 8 grand to get my 1700/month apartment: first and last month's rent, one month security deposit, 3 thousand dollar broker's fee. Fun times.

I died a little inside reading this, but I guess I wasn't really anticipating any less except in my deluded imagination. Thanks for all the tips everyone!

Yeah, broker's fees suck. Unless you have a place to stay where you can do a prolonged apartment hunt, a broker is going to be the way to go. We didn't use a broker, but my mom's friend let us stay in her apartment for a couple weeks while she went to the Hamptons so we had the time to do the work ourselves. If you are familiar with NYC, you might not need one, but otherwise a broker will probably be useful.

Housing is by far the worst part about living in NYC. The quality/size of the apartments, the cost, and the extreme difficulty of finding one are all the worst. Also, just be aware that late June/early July is perhaps the worst time to go apartment hunting because typically the vacancy rate is the lowest.

otnemem

Postby otnemem » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:43 am

Regarding the officialness of the relationship, it's actually very relaxed. I know someone right now who is living in Mercer with his girlfriend.

That's good news, as I'm in a similar situation. I came across an old thread on housing at Columbia, and someone mentioned that having a joint bank account for x amount of time can qualify non-married couples for family housing. Does anyone know if that's the case at NYU?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:10 pm

otnemem wrote:
Regarding the officialness of the relationship, it's actually very relaxed. I know someone right now who is living in Mercer with his girlfriend.

That's good news, as I'm in a similar situation. I came across an old thread on housing at Columbia, and someone mentioned that having a joint bank account for x amount of time can qualify non-married couples for family housing. Does anyone know if that's the case at NYU?

It isn't even that strict. You simply need to sign an affidavit.

In determining whether the applicants constitute a qualifying family relationship, the following shall be acceptable evidence of such a relationship:

In the case of any family, an affidavit from both adult members of the family, declaring that the applicants share a qualifying family relationship, evidenced by a significant emotional commitment on the part of the adult members of the family; and

In the case of a minor child, a birth certificate, adoption papers, or evidence that an adult member of the family is the minor child's guardian. Each applicant for family housing is obligated to inform the Office of Residential Life of any change in the applicants status that occurs after application is made and before the completion of the license period.

Source: http://www.law.nyu.edu/housing/oncampushousing/familyhousing/index.htm

otnemem

Postby otnemem » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:47 am

Excellent, thanks!

nsbane

Postby nsbane » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:43 am

Last edited by nsbane on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:11 am

nsbane wrote:hey guys, thanks for taking questions. I'm currently in the Peace Corps in China, and I'll come back to my home in California maybe a couple weeks before school starts. Then I have to fly from there to NYU.

I've got some stuff in China that I want to take with me to NYU, and I'm wondering if it's possible to ship it directly to NYU, instead of lugging it on a plane to CA, then carrying it once again to NY. Is there a department in NYU admin who I could ask about this? It would maybe be a box or two of Chinese books. Small enough that someone could put in a corner, but heavy enough that I don't want to bother with them on a plane.

Thanks!

NYU housing or an apartment? For an apartment, I'd probably try and have it held at a UPS store or Kinko's or whatever, depending on how you ship it. I'm not sure they'll hold stuff for two weeks, but that's how I handle my packages generally.

NYU housing very well might hold it, you'd probably have to email them and find out.

gar2134

Postby gar2134 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:54 am

Hello - What kind of laptop would you recommend? I have heard that at some law schools it is difficult to take exams on a Mac. Thanks!

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:07 pm

NYU it totally mac friendly

dtmerzel

Postby dtmerzel » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Last edited by dtmerzel on Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:43 pm

dtmerzel wrote:
ahduth wrote:
nsbane wrote:hey guys, thanks for taking questions. I'm currently in the Peace Corps in China, and I'll come back to my home in California maybe a couple weeks before school starts. Then I have to fly from there to NYU.

I've got some stuff in China that I want to take with me to NYU, and I'm wondering if it's possible to ship it directly to NYU, instead of lugging it on a plane to CA, then carrying it once again to NY. Is there a department in NYU admin who I could ask about this? It would maybe be a box or two of Chinese books. Small enough that someone could put in a corner, but heavy enough that I don't want to bother with them on a plane.

Thanks!

NYU housing or an apartment? For an apartment, I'd probably try and have it held at a UPS store or Kinko's or whatever, depending on how you ship it. I'm not sure they'll hold stuff for two weeks, but that's how I handle my packages generally.

NYU housing very well might hold it, you'd probably have to email them and find out.

FWIW, NYU ORLHS (housing) has a policy of not holding boxes for past or future residents, so probably no wiggle room there (I work at one of the residence halls). Can't speak for other departments, though I don't know of any that would do this.

I mean, when I arrived at Mercer it was full of boxes. I doubt they were all for people who had already moved in (since they were still in the lobby after all). So I'm guessing there actually is some wiggle room.

JAJAcinco

Postby JAJAcinco » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:45 am

Based on your own experiences and your classmates', how strongly would you recommend NYU housing for a 1L?
I have family and friends in NYC so I'm considering the possibility of either living with them/them helping me find off-campus housing (those finder fees don't sound appealing)

Appreciate you taking the time to answer!

smokeylarue

Postby smokeylarue » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:49 am

Serious question here. How stressed did you feel this first semester? Typically how many hours did you study every day? Did you study every day/most days/on weekends? Did most your classmates feel the same way? I'm just trying to get a general consensus feel for the stress and competitive atmosphere that does or does not exist at NYU. THANKS!

Also, another actually serious question that will have no bearing on my decision to attend. On a scale from 1 to 10 how attractive were the girls from your class, 1 being Rosie O'donnell, 10 being Kate Beckinsale.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:25 pm

JAJAcinco wrote:Based on your own experiences and your classmates', how strongly would you recommend NYU housing for a 1L?
I have family and friends in NYC so I'm considering the possibility of either living with them/them helping me find off-campus housing (those finder fees don't sound appealing)

Appreciate you taking the time to answer!

NYU housing is really nice for 1Ls who don't already have a social circle in the city. If you have friends and a life outside of the law school it becomes less important to live in NYU housing. You do, however, lose some of the benefits such as proximity, ease of forming study groups, etc.

I don't think it's critical for anyone to live in NYU housing, but it can be very helpful for some. In your position I don't think one is an objectively better decision than the other.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:25 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Serious question here. How stressed did you feel this first semester? Typically how many hours did you study every day? Did you study every day/most days/on weekends? Did most your classmates feel the same way? I'm just trying to get a general consensus feel for the stress and competitive atmosphere that does or does not exist at NYU. THANKS!

Also, another actually serious question that will have no bearing on my decision to attend. On a scale from 1 to 10 how attractive were the girls from your class, 1 being Rosie O'donnell, 10 being Kate Beckinsale.

I was really lax about studying, and my grades will no doubt reflect that. Some people had rainbow highlighting and typed up briefs - I stopped briefing day one. I didn't find the atmosphere terribly competitive personally, although everyone is extremely bright. We don't get grades for another week, so we'll know more then how effective all the studying was.

That second question is a minefield into which I shall not venture.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:04 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Serious question here. How stressed did you feel this first semester? Typically how many hours did you study every day? Did you study every day/most days/on weekends? Did most your classmates feel the same way? I'm just trying to get a general consensus feel for the stress and competitive atmosphere that does or does not exist at NYU. THANKS!

I felt pretty stressed this semester, but it had nothing to do with the environment. NYU does do as much as it can to reduce stress it seems. The atmosphere is about as laid back as it can be given that you are all in law school and there is a curve. People were never openly competitive which was nice (the closest you would get would be people all realizing that everyone is smart and that the curve is going to be hard). I would say i worked all weekdays except Friday and I took either Saturday or Sunday off in the beginning, but there was a lot of work. I am definitely cutting back next semester, although I highly recommend erring on the side of doing too much work first semester. It's better to realize you can cut back than to realize you could have done more. First semester of law school is basically a stress factory no matter where you go.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:57 pm

Disclaimer- 2L here with nostalgia. 1st Semester 1L year I honestly thought was overhyped in terms of the pressure and work etc. Probably the last month of the semester it gets intense as everyone is in their study groups or intensive study mode, but prior to that I had ample time to go out at least one weeknight and any/all nights of the weekend. I tried but quickly gave up case briefing, and found a distaste for outlining as well; however, I did do the intensive rainbow highlighting thing although I'm not sure how much it helped. I didn't really feel a competitive atmosphere until finals weeks, and even then it wasn't really a dominating presence. In fact, the competitiveness seemed much stronger in 2nd semester once people knew their chances at grading on to Law Review. Again, even this seemed minimal and competition was really only what you made of it.

As for the attractiveness question, I'd say girls range from 2-7 generally, although I've definitely seen some 8-9s. It's New York though, NYU Law need not (Should Not) be your only place for finding attractive women.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:23 am

Detrox wrote:

Disclaimer- 2L here with nostalgia. 1st Semester 1L year I honestly thought was overhyped in terms of the pressure and work etc. Probably the last month of the semester it gets intense as everyone is in their study groups or intensive study mode, but prior to that I had ample time to go out at least one weeknight and any/all nights of the weekend. I tried but quickly gave up case briefing, and found a distaste for outlining as well; however, I did do the intensive rainbow highlighting thing although I'm not sure how much it helped. I didn't really feel a competitive atmosphere until finals weeks, and even then it wasn't really a dominating presence. In fact, the competitiveness seemed much stronger in 2nd semester once people knew their chances at grading on to Law Review. Again, even this seemed minimal and competition was really only what you made of it.

As for the attractiveness question, I'd say girls range from 2-7 generally, although I've definitely seen some 8-9s. It's New York though, NYU Law need not (Should Not) be your only place for finding attractive women.

Yeah, I would probably agree with that assessment of first semester as well. I think it was more of a shock to me since I had never really worked that hard at school before and I had been out of school for a few years. I also gave up on case outlining (which works for some, but is a huge time suck) almost immediately, but I did keep rainbow highlighting (which was mostly a way for me to keep paying attention as I read, but it did prove useful in cold calling classes), I also didn't finish a single outline towards the end (well I teamed up on a communal one) so we shall see how that works out for me.

RonnyDworkin

Postby RonnyDworkin » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:53 pm

Do you know guys the stats for AnBryce or Furman? # of applicant? # of interviewees and offers?

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:00 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:Do you know guys the stats for AnBryce or Furman? # of applicant? # of interviewees and offers?

I think the named scholarships are less stats based than achievement based. There are definitely some scholars who are the typical could be at HYS, but NYU bought them, but there are some that are just really accomplished in the important areas and got them because of that.

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:23 pm

NYU 1L checking in here. Not sure about AnBryce, but I know the Furman scholar in our year (I know, sounds unpromising already), and I've been told that most of the Furman scholars are added at the end of 1L year rather than during the actual admissions process.

slmc12

Postby slmc12 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:02 pm

I didn't feel too stressed, because I came back to school from a super stressful job so by comparison school wasn't too bad. Also it's as laid back an environment as law school can get, as others have said - people aren't dickish about competition at all. There's just the general stress of knowing you're up against a bunch of smart people on a grading curve, and I think everyone experiences it.

I studied less at the beginning of the semester then really ramped it up starting at around Thanksgiving. Early on I studied about 4 hours per day on weekdays, and maybe the same for one weekend day. At crunch time, I was studying like 6 hours per day, every day.

I studied a lot less than other people I knew.

teacher10456

Postby teacher10456 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:10 pm

What is the social life like? I have heard that since NYU is in the city, people more likely have friends outside of the school and there is not as much of a student "community." Thoughts?

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:03 am

teacher10456 wrote:What is the social life like? I have heard that since NYU is in the city, people more likely have friends outside of the school and there is not as much of a student "community." Thoughts?

The social life is surprisingly good. Most people live in the dorms so that helps, but I know my lawyering section was pretty tight-knit throughout the year (actually lawyering sections can be hit or miss, mine did a lot of stuff together, others did not). I went in with a pretty established NYC friends group and made more friends that I actually do stuff with outside of school than I thought. Basically if you want one its there, but I would definitely recommend living in the dorms if you want a "social life" and you don't already have one in NYC.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:07 am

chasgoose wrote:
teacher10456 wrote:What is the social life like? I have heard that since NYU is in the city, people more likely have friends outside of the school and there is not as much of a student "community." Thoughts?

The social life is surprisingly good. Most people live in the dorms so that helps, but I know my lawyering section was pretty tight-knit throughout the year (actually lawyering sections can be hit or miss, mine did a lot of stuff together, others did not). I went in with a pretty established NYC friends group and made more friends that I actually do stuff with outside of school than I thought. Basically if you want one its there, but I would definitely recommend living in the dorms if you want a "social life" and you don't already have one in NYC.

I agree. There are plenty of opportunities to get to know your classmates and develop solid friendships. I did not have a lot of friends already in the city before I moved but I have developed a pretty tight-knit group of friends. It is definitely easier living in student housing, but certainly not required.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”