NYU 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PigBodine

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby PigBodine » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:51 pm

oh, yeah. my undergrad didn't have pluses or minuses, and I always filter 3.3 to an A in my head for some reason. an A- is a 3.7. borderline retarded behavior, IMO

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:57 pm

PigBodine wrote:oh, yeah. my undergrad didn't have pluses or minuses, and I always filter 3.3 to an A in my head for some reason. an A- is a 3.7. borderline retarded behavior, IMO

Haha, no worries. I just wanted to clarify.

knickerbocker

Postby knickerbocker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:41 pm

Ahh! I'm so torn between NYU and Chicago.
Can NYU 1Ls (or 2Ls or 3Ls) who chose NYU over Chicago say something...

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:49 pm

knickerbocker wrote:Ahh! I'm so torn between NYU and Chicago.

Do you have any specific career aspirations? What are your priorities in the type of academic experience you want?

I think NYU will offer a much more diverse experience. There will be more people who come to NYU with strong PI goals. Even if you don't see yourself pursuing that type of career (I don't) it's nice having those people around because you get exposed to more issues from people who are very passionate about those issues.

Greenwich Village >>>>>>>>>>> Hyde Park

knickerbocker

Postby knickerbocker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:07 pm

A clerkship would be nice (that's what's keeping Chicago in play for me), but, ultimately, I want biglaw in New York.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:15 pm

knickerbocker wrote:A clerkship would be nice (that's what's keeping Chicago in play for me), but, ultimately, I want biglaw in New York.

Clerkship rates:
Chicago: 12.5%
NYU: 10.3%

Really shouldn't be that much of a concern. Yes, Chicago is closer to 7th Circuit, but NYU is closer to SDNY/2nd Circuit. It's a wash.

I'm making the same decision, and clerkships really shouldn't be too much of an issue.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:34 am

knickerbocker wrote:Ahh! I'm so torn between NYU and Chicago.

Is there a money difference? Have you visited both? Chicago is not for everyone, whereas NYU is more one-size fits all. There is essentially no difference in opportunities between the two (there are slightly more clerks at Chicago, but that is largely because a larger percentage of the class wants to clerk). If the money is equal and you have visited both, take the one you like best. Within CCN, there is pretty much no difference on the academic/job placement/prestige front so you should pick the one you like best. I didn't get into Chicago, but I chose NYU because I liked it more and they gave me a little more money than CLS. If the only reason Chicago is still in play are the clerkship numbers you should definitely take NYU.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:40 am

Haiii everybody. When do we find out about housing assignments? I just filled it out about a week or two ago. And when are we allowed to move in? Is it during orientation or should we plan for a hotel then?

crooked

Postby crooked » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:37 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:Haiii everybody. When do we find out about housing assignments? I just filled it out about a week or two ago. And when are we allowed to move in? Is it during orientation or should we plan for a hotel then?

They said we find out in mid-June about housing assignments, and I believe move-in is the first day of orientation.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:24 am

crooked wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Haiii everybody. When do we find out about housing assignments? I just filled it out about a week or two ago. And when are we allowed to move in? Is it during orientation or should we plan for a hotel then?

They said we find out in mid-June about housing assignments, and I believe move-in is the first day of orientation.

This is accurate I believe. You can also request to move in earlier (but you have to pay for those extra days).

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:48 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
crooked wrote:

This is accurate I believe. You can also request to move in earlier (but you have to pay for those extra days).

Thanks crooked and birdlaw. I wish I had more questions but I have now obsessively read all of these threads.

knickerbocker

Postby knickerbocker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:53 pm

In term's of NYU's housing, is it only offered during the academic year? If I'm planning on working in NYC over the summer, can I stay in the same room for all twelve months, or do I have to move out for the summer?

ssteiner

Postby ssteiner » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:19 pm

knickerbocker wrote:In term's of NYU's housing, is it only offered during the academic year? If I'm planning on working in NYC over the summer, can I stay in the same room for all twelve months, or do I have to move out for the summer?

There are summer rates mentioned on their housing website, and I believe I read something about discounts if you're doing PI work.

okinawa

Postby okinawa » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Last edited by okinawa on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Is the Coase system an economic inside joke or something?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:27 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Is the Coase system an economic inside joke or something?

I think it's an economic inside joke that very few law students are privy to. It seems like very few people realize why it's called that.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:28 pm

okinawa wrote:I don't know that admitted students can sign up for Coase's, but if they can or you have a friend at the school, that's BY FAR the easiest way to find housing in NYC. You can find somewhere cheaper than on-campus, too, and typically without having to worry about a broker.

You can sign up for it as soon as you have access to NYU Home. Which I think most do/will soon.

knickerbocker

Postby knickerbocker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:15 pm

How big are 1L classes?
Also, NYU has lots of named scholarship for entering students. Do this kids have a leg up? Does the school look out for them? That is, are other kids at a disadvantage?

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:12 pm

knickerbocker wrote:How big are 1L classes?
Also, NYU has lots of named scholarship for entering students. Do this kids have a leg up? Does the school look out for them? That is, are other kids at a disadvantage?

About 90 students. I've never felt at a disadvantage to students with named scholarships and don't think I could identify which ones have them without checking the website or something.

As to the summer housing stuff, alot of people exercise that option. You can even freeze your room and keep it through the summer and into the next academic year.

Coase's really shouldn't be an "inside joke" for anyone who has taken introductory econ. That being said, the list itself produces many inside jokes and some sad Above the Law articles.

knickerbocker

Postby knickerbocker » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:15 pm

Thank you to all the NYU 1Ls for your responses. I greatly appreciate it.
How many exams do 1Ls take their first and second semesters?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:20 pm

knickerbocker wrote:Thank you to all the NYU 1Ls for your responses. I greatly appreciate it.

Three per semester. NYU has fewer doctrinal classes 1L than pretty much everywhere else. If that's not a reason to come to NYU, I don't know what is.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:40 pm

knickerbocker wrote:Thank you to all the NYU 1Ls for your responses. I greatly appreciate it.

I'm a 2L intruding in this useful 1L thread. My thread just failed :(

izy223

Postby izy223 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:22 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
okinawa wrote:I don't know that admitted students can sign up for Coase's, but if they can or you have a friend at the school, that's BY FAR the easiest way to find housing in NYC. You can find somewhere cheaper than on-campus, too, and typically without having to worry about a broker.

You can sign up for it as soon as you have access to NYU Home. Which I think most do/will soon.

i have accesss to NYU Home and i cant seem to find out how to access it, anyone have any ideas on how to?

Also, My brother is in NYU Stern and he has a @nyu.edu email address and a @stern.nyu.edu email address, is that the same for the lawschool. Do we get a @law.nyu.edu email address as well?

Last question- when does NYU send out information about Loans and Payments- when should i have to start worrying about all that?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:26 am

To subscribe to Coases you need to be on the main NYU Home page. If you scroll down there should be a section called "Lists." Click on "Browse and Subscribe" and then Ctr+F "Law" or something. It's listed as "coases-list" / Law School Exchange.

RonnyDworkin

Postby RonnyDworkin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:31 am

Perhaps this is a silly question, but for those with magazine and newspaper subscriptions and living on-campus, are the items just dropped off in front of Dag/Mercer? Is there a problem with people taking other people's papers and magazines?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”