NYU 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rachelwang712

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby rachelwang712 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:48 am

I am an international student from China. Will attend NYU from this fall. So I am considering going to NYC two weeks earlier than 1L orientation, just to find my way around the city and so forth since I cannot travel to any of the ASW now. Could anyone give me some suggestions on reasonable accommodation for these two weeks?

Thanks in advance.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:50 am

rachelwang712 wrote:I am an international student from China. Will attend NYU from this fall. So I am considering going to NYC two weeks earlier than 1L orientation, just to find my way around the city and so forth since I cannot travel to any of the ASW now. Could anyone give me some suggestions on reasonable accommodation for these two weeks?

Thanks in advance.

If you are doing student housing you can request an early move-in date. Not sure if you can get a full two weeks early, but I think you can.

If not, then just try and start your lease at that time.

theaether

Postby theaether » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:34 pm

so how many and which courses are taken per semester 1L year?

from the website it says contracts, procedure, torts 1st semes and admin and crim 2nd semes, with a list of electives. does this mean you get 1 elective 1st semester and 2 electives second semester? is taking property and conlaw pretty much recommended?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:40 pm

theaether wrote:so how many and which courses are taken per semester 1L year?

from the website it says contracts, procedure, torts 1st semes and admin and crim 2nd semes, with a list of electives. does this mean you get 1 elective 1st semester and 2 electives second semester? is taking property and conlaw pretty much recommended?

1 elective spring semester, none first semester. Fall you will have either torts or crim, and the other one will be in the spring. We only have 3 doctrinal courses and Lawyering both semesters.

goducks01

Postby goducks01 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:54 am

I’m a late Admit, and I just bought my plane ticket for April 18-19 ASW. After being (surprisingly) declined for a travel stipend, I’m pretty strapped for cash. Not to bum, but I’m wondering if any current students might let me crash on their couch/floor. I’m happy to buy coffee/beer/dinner. I’m coming in Tuesday and staying through ASW, and hotel prices are ridiculous. PM’s much appreciated.

howlery

Postby howlery » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:12 pm

goducks01 wrote:I’m a late Admit, and I just bought my plane ticket for April 18-19 ASW. After being (surprisingly) declined for a travel stipend, I’m pretty strapped for cash. Not to bum, but I’m wondering if any current students might let me crash on their couch/floor. I’m happy to buy coffee/beer/dinner. I’m coming in Tuesday and staying through ASW, and hotel prices are ridiculous. PM’s much appreciated.

Try http://www.couchsurfing.org/ and see if you can find another student. Just be careful.

lameslice57

Postby lameslice57 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:04 am

Last edited by lameslice57 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:47 am

lameslice57 wrote:How does NYU place in DC and the South? Do you know of any 2Ls or 3Ls going there?

Anecdotally I know a few going to DC, but none to the South (but I also don't know anyone who targeted the South). DC people tended to have top grades and strong connections to the area, but even those were by no means a guarentee. Scoring a job outside of NYC is obviously more difficult both because of the comparative strength of the legal markets elsewhere and the NYU name's diminishing returns outside of NYC; however a fair number of 2Ls definitely secure positions in their target areas if they have strong credentials, ties, or hustle.

theaether

Postby theaether » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:35 am

which of the 4 dorms should i be looking to go for, and when should i do the lottery by to have a good shot?

how is placement to boston firms?

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:11 pm

lameslice57 wrote:How does NYU place in DC and the South? Do you know of any 2Ls or 3Ls going there?

Like every non-YHS school, to get a DC firm from NYU you pretty much have to be top 25% unless you have significant pre-law school government experience (and usually those are sort of important for top 25% types too) Also, you need to interview well (for my 2L friends I noticed that interviewing ability/social awkwardness made a huge difference in terms of DC success). There just aren't that many positions available in DC, after the YHS people take up most of the spots, the DC firms can afford to be picky. Unlike NYC where you can get a job almost exclusively on your grades or WE or even interview skills alone, you aren't going to get a job in DC without bringing the whole package. Among 1L's many have had success returning to their home markets for firm jobs and I know a lot of people working for the federal government in DC. Those who are working for firms in DC almost all were charismatic and had significant government experience before law school (and although they all are above median, they aren't necessarily top 25%). That said, assuming YHS isn't an option, NYU is going to put you in about as good a position for DC as you could be.

For the South, its pretty much like every other secondary market. If you have the ties and the grades, you will probably do well. NYU still has value in markets like the South since there aren't many people here that want to go there. If you are above median and have solid ties, they are going to want you.
Last edited by chasgoose on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:18 pm

theaether wrote:which of the 4 dorms should i be looking to go for, and when should i do the lottery by to have a good shot?

See above comment for Boston firm placement. If you have ties to Boston and you are above median, you will be fine.

For the dorms, the only two that will be available to 1L's are Mercer and D'Ag. I live off-campus, but have been in both. The Mercer dorms are a lot bigger, but also more expensive and further away from campus (5-10 minute walk as opposed to across the street). I still think the tradeoff is worth it since the D'Ag dorms are too reminiscent of college dorms. If it makes a difference, of the 2L's staying on-campus next year, almost all of them are going to be in Mercer next year, including the ones who lived in D'Ag this year.

If you have it in you, I would recommend entering the housing lottery, but at least looking at what's available off-campus. Especially if you have a roommate, you can get something a lot nicer for the same amount of money not too far from campus. I live in Brooklyn (20-30 minutes door-to-door) for about the same amount as the more expensive Mercer rooms, but I have a real living room, washer/dryer in my apartment, etc. That said, looking for apartments in NYC in July is pretty much the worst thing in the entire world and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

theaether

Postby theaether » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:55 pm

chasgoose wrote:
theaether wrote:which of the 4 dorms should i be looking to go for, and when should i do the lottery by to have a good shot?

See above comment for Boston firm placement. If you have ties to Boston and you are above median, you will be fine.

thanks for the response. so you're saying that boston is as competitive as d.c. in terms of... they take all HYS then freely pick from top 25% of nyu? or is it inbetween NYC and DC for competitiveness?

don't know if they have a showing of dorms in the asw itinerary, but I think i'll try to check out mercer and DA

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:09 pm

Your ability to tap into non-NYC markets is going to be very fluid based on personal characteristics. Ties, grades, WE, interview ability, etc. all play a role, but it isn't a simple math equation. Like chasgoose said, NYU will give you as good an opportunity outside YHS as any.

theaether

Postby theaether » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:14 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:Your ability to tap into non-NYC markets is going to be very fluid based on personal characteristics. Ties, grades, WE, interview ability, etc. all play a role, but it isn't a simple math equation. Like chasgoose said, NYU will give you as good an opportunity outside YHS as any.

thanks bros

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:51 pm

theaether wrote:
chasgoose wrote:

thanks for the response. so you're saying that boston is as competitive as d.c. in terms of... they take all HYS then freely pick from top 25% of nyu? or is it inbetween NYC and DC for competitiveness?

don't know if they have a showing of dorms in the asw itinerary, but I think i'll try to check out mercer and DA

Sorry that was unclear. Boston is the same as the South for firm placement. As far as secondary markets go, DC is its own special beast since its where law students who want the money of big law, but think corporate work is tawdry mistakenly go thinking they will be doing appellate work all the time. For Boston you will need strong ties and above medianish grades (flexible based on secondary factors). While Harvard probably sends a decent amount to Boston firms, but there are still relatively more spots left over than in DC, and YS barely send any. NYU grads with ties are still more attractive to Boston firms than BC/BU students.

ssteiner

Postby ssteiner » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:22 pm

What do people typically wear to class? I'm a jeans and tees kind of girl, but not sure how that will fly in law school.

Detrox

Postby Detrox » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:08 pm

ssteiner wrote:What do people typically wear to class? I'm a jeans and tees kind of girl, but not sure how that will fly in law school.

That's fine. Class runs the gambit of people in sweatpants and sweatshirts to jeans and tees to business casual to the occasional suit. People in suits generally have a reason to be wearing them for something outside of class though...

In any case, you can dress slightly on the formal side the first couple of days if you're unsure, but I think pretty quickly you'll return to jeans and tees.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:13 pm

ssteiner wrote:What do people typically wear to class? I'm a jeans and tees kind of girl, but not sure how that will fly in law school.

No different than what people wear in college. If jeans and T's are what you are comfortable in, you won't be at all out of place.

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:18 pm

I don't really have a question to ask, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm hoping to attend NYU Law in a year and a half for the fall 2013 semester! Columbia and NYU are basically my dream law schools (I don't think my 3.73 undergrad GPA can get me in any higher schools). I really want to work in NYC after graduation (and a lawyer's salary seems to be the easiest way to live in the most expensive city in the country), so NYU/Columbia are my obvious choices. Plus my ex/semi-current girlfriend raves about NYU, since she went there here final two years of UG. She thinks I would love it in the city, and specifically at NYU.

I'm currently studying for the LSAT, which can be somewhat hard to juggle, since I also work as a paralegal for a big law firm here in DC, which often requires a lot of hours. Not sure if I'm going to take the LSAT in June or just wait until the October one. I suppose if I don't have a high enough score on practice tests by the beginning of May (170+), I'll wait until October. I got a 155 on my initial diagnostic, so obviously I have a long way to go.

What kind of LSAT score do you think I need to get into NYU? NYU and Columbia both seem to have pretty high LSAT floors. I feel like I'd have to get at least a 171 to get into NYU--that a 170 wouldn't even suffice. It's a rather scary thought. But I really badly want to go to NYU, so hopefully I can get in. I'll keep some updates as I apply to this in the fall.

Anyways, I hope to keep in contact here and eventually visit NYU Law (and Columbia).

What are your guys' overall impressions on NYU? How does everyone feel it stacks up against its NYC rival, Columbia (and I suppose, to a lesser extent, Cornell)?

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:23 pm

Last edited by Crowing on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

theaether

Postby theaether » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:34 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:I really want to work in NYC after graduation (and a lawyer's salary seems to be the easiest way to live in the most expensive city in the country),

I don't know if this reasoning is a bit backwards, but it seems that way to me. Want NYC, therefore lawyer?

anyway, your plan to delay the lsat until oct sounds good if your PT scores aren't consistently 169+ in may

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:51 pm

theaether wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:I really want to work in NYC after graduation (and a lawyer's salary seems to be the easiest way to live in the most expensive city in the country),

I don't know if this reasoning is a bit backwards, but it seems that way to me. Want NYC, therefore lawyer?

anyway, your plan to delay the lsat until oct sounds good if your PT scores aren't consistently 169+ in may

Yeah, that line of reasoning didn't really make sense. I have always wanted to live in NYC. I just have come up with the idea of going to law school since I've worked at a V25 firm here in DC as a paralegal. I never really had much interest in the law field before that, but I actually enjoy working here quite a bit, despite the long hours (they'd seem a lot nicer if I made a lawyer salary).

Yeah, I will put it off if I'm not PTing 169+ by then. I haven't even started PTing yet. I'm currently reading through the Powerscore trilogy. I only took the initial diagnostic (got a 155).

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:40 pm

Crowing wrote:Are any of you current students WL admits? I got WLed today (3.43/173) and was wondering if anybody thinks there's a shot at getting accepted off of it based on previous cycles.

It all depends on matriculation rates. Last year the WL was used a decent amount. The year before that it was barely used. It's really difficult to predict, but I would lean toward it being used a decent amount again because of the drop in applicants. Too difficult to really predict though.

jellybean8

Postby jellybean8 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:53 am

How easy is it to get the specific room type you want on campus?

In particular, a triple in Mercer?

izy223

Postby izy223 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:33 am

Im a native new yorker who has a friend in NYU undergrad looking for a roommate will probably live in the eat village/union square area.

Will i be missing on a "law school experience" if a live outside of campus first year. Or do 75% of the students live off campus only because its hard to find an apt if your not from ny?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”