NYU 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Tadatsune

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Postby Tadatsune » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:20 pm

Any specific questions about it?

In general:

I'm just looking to get a feel for what sort of support you get. I'm doing the whole NYU vs. CLS thing. So far "OCS will proofread your resume" is what I'm getting from the CLS crowd. NYU people seem to be a bit more positive.

In specific:

I'm interested in international SA positions (East Asia).

I'm wondering what sort of resources NYU has for that kind of thing. I know Duke has an Office of International Programs that aggressively locates or even creates 1L SA opportunities abroad for it's J.D./LL.M. international program. I haven't heard about anything like that at NYU or CLS.

nsbane

Postby nsbane » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:55 pm

Tadatsune wrote:

In specific:

I'm actually interested in this as well. I am encouraged because the Asia Law Society takes a spring trip delegation to Asia to meet and greet at different law offices in Asia.

This is from their Events page:

During the school year, we host "Asia Hour" sessions, where distinguished guests lead informal discussions on legal issues anddevelopments pertaining to Asia, as well as other educational events in conjunction with other student organizations. ALS also organizes various social events, language tables, and field trips. This year, we will organize resources to aid American students, particularly 1Ls, seeking jobs in Asia and international students seeking jobs in America."

See here for their homepage: http://www.law.nyu.edu/studentorganizat ... /index.htm

On the Delegation page, you can see they went to:
Tokyo 2010
Beijing 2009
Hong Kong 2008
Shanghai 2007

Tadatsune

Postby Tadatsune » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:06 pm

nsbane wrote:
Tadatsune wrote:

In specific:

I'm actually interested in this as well. I am encouraged because the Asia Law Society takes a spring trip delegation to Asia to meet and greet at different law offices in Asia.

During the school year, we host "Asia Hour" sessions, where distinguished guests lead informal discussions on legal issues anddevelopments pertaining to Asia, as well as other educational events in conjunction with other student organizations. ALS also organizes various social events, language tables, and field trips. This year, we will organize resources to aid American students, particularly 1Ls, seeking jobs in Asia and international students seeking jobs in America."

See here for their homepage: http://www.law.nyu.edu/studentorganizat ... /index.htm

Tokyo 2010
Beijing 2009
Hong Kong 2008
Shanghai 2007

This sounds awesome, save for the part where you don't get to choose what country you go to. Going Beijing isn't likely to help you get a job in Tokyo and vice versa.

Anyone here have any experience with the Asian Law Society?

djaja

Postby djaja » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:10 pm

Tadatsune wrote:

In general:

I'm just looking to get a feel for what sort of support you get. I'm doing the whole NYU vs. CLS thing. So far "OCS will proofread your resume" is what I'm getting from the CLS crowd. NYU people seem to be a bit more positive.

In specific:

I'm wondering what sort of resources NYU has for that kind of thing. I know Duke has an Office of International Programs that aggressively locates or even creates 1L SA opportunities abroad for it's J.D./LL.M. international program. I haven't heard about anything like that at NYU or CLS.

They've actually just started up something called the Global Immersion program here. I think that's what it's called. As it was explained to me, you join the summer BEFORE 1L, when NYU pays for language classes. Then they help you get a 1L summer internship abroad-- here are the options they've pulled together this year (the first in operation):

· Work in Latin America on collaborative efforts around drug trafficking in Colombia and Mexico, looking at issues like decriminalization of drug use, etc

· Help to develop a South-South dialogue with leading NGOs around issues of natural resource conservation and environmental protection

· Work with the leading Asian Arbitral Center in Singapore on Asian commercial arbitrations

· Work directly for Chile’s foreign investment commission, on its continuous efforts to create an environment conducive to continued outside investment

· Work for a Peace and Justice Magistrate on cases under Colombia’s transitional justice regime

· Work with leading law firms in Sao Paolo on important infrastructure financings

· Develop the probono portfolio at any number of leading law firms in the Latin world, in support of a collaborative effort among elite lawyers to enhance the overall probono participation among the private bars in all major jurisdictions

· Help a leading successful developer of major public transportation projects in Latin America examine how its model could be put to use in Asia and the Middle East

· Work with Shanghai-based law firms on major international transactions with North America, Latin America, and Europe

· Do empirical research and comparative analysis on the problem of mass incarcerations with a top research foundation in Sao Paolo

· Participate in cutting edge fieldwork in collaboration with leading academics in both Asia and Latin America on all manner of socioeconomic rights, including the right to health, food and water

· Go to the Middle East and provide technical assistance to democracies in transition, with leading NGOs based in-country

Also, you continue to take language classes the second semester of 1L. After that, I think they continue to provide support, maybe with more language classes (don't remember) and more help finding stuff for 2L summer if you want, though you can easily get an SA abroad through traditional OCS. Note that this is different than CHRGJ which is a 1L summer internship @ UN/Intl NGOs program, and its different than the IILJ program which is more competitive (and gives $$$$$ to admitted students who otherwise would've gone to Yale or Harvard). I think you just join this program if you demonstrate interest in working abroad after law school, but again, I don't really know as the program is in a nascent stage. The people setting it up are amazing though and absolutely FEAST upon student input. Seriously, the Hauser office holds weekly wine-fueled student focus groups where the director grills anyone interested about their wants/needs for the program. If this puts wind in your sails I'd contact Meera de Mel at lawglobal@exchange.law.nyu.edu and tell her you're interests and such. Even/Especially if you're a 0L! Sorry this post is a little disjointed!!

banjo

Postby banjo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:50 pm

While we're talking international programs, anyone known anyone doing the Melbourne/NYU dual JD? Any thoughts on it? Would something like that open any doors? Thanks in advance!

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:42 pm

Tadatsune wrote:

In general:

In specific:

I can't comment on CLS's OCS, but I would just chime in to say that NYU OCS has been amazing in my interactions with them thus far. I have met with two people in the office and both have been tremendously helpful. My main person sends me updates when they are about to post jobs that I may be interested in for this summer and they both gave me a realistic assessment of where I should target my applications based on my grades. They are surprisingly honest at fielding questions about where you stand, which is refreshing. Furthermore, Irene, the head of the office, has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of where all NYU alums are and won't hesitate to put you in touch with people for networking opportunities. If you want Biglaw or corporate work for the summer there is no better place to go.

I will say that my limited interactions with the PILC office have been less satisfying (still good, just not as good as OCS). Although the PILC office is very robust, the more you venture away from their core placement areas and particularly the more you want help finding jobs outside of NYC/DC, the less helpful they are. OCS of course has the advantage of working with students looking for employment in a much narrower range of areas (Biglaw or Corporate usually) whereas there are tons of practice areas that are covered by PILC, but I feel that there is a disconnect between the way they present themselves to the student body at large as PILC and the way they interact with students once they get to their office for a one-on-one meeting. That said, PILC still is tremendously helpful, and I highly doubt you are going to find a better PI career office at any other school.

Others have discussed the international 1L SA opportunities available at NYU, I'll just throw in that there seem to be a lot and if you are fluent in Mandarin, Japanese, or Korean, you probably have a good chance at snagging one if you are above median after 1st semester (even with 450 students per class, fluency in an Asian language seems hard to come by).

Tadatsune

Postby Tadatsune » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:20 pm

djaja wrote:
Tadatsune wrote:

In general:

In specific:

They've actually just started up something called the Global Immersion program here. I think that's what it's called. As it was explained to me, you join the summer BEFORE 1L, when NYU pays for language classes. Then they help you get a 1L summer internship abroad-- here are the options they've pulled together this year (the first in operation):

· Work in Latin America on collaborative efforts around drug trafficking in Colombia and Mexico, looking at issues like decriminalization of drug use, etc

· Help to develop a South-South dialogue with leading NGOs around issues of natural resource conservation and environmental protection

· Work with the leading Asian Arbitral Center in Singapore on Asian commercial arbitrations

· Work directly for Chile’s foreign investment commission, on its continuous efforts to create an environment conducive to continued outside investment

· Work for a Peace and Justice Magistrate on cases under Colombia’s transitional justice regime

· Work with leading law firms in Sao Paolo on important infrastructure financings

· Develop the probono portfolio at any number of leading law firms in the Latin world, in support of a collaborative effort among elite lawyers to enhance the overall probono participation among the private bars in all major jurisdictions

· Help a leading successful developer of major public transportation projects in Latin America examine how its model could be put to use in Asia and the Middle East

· Work with Shanghai-based law firms on major international transactions with North America, Latin America, and Europe

· Do empirical research and comparative analysis on the problem of mass incarcerations with a top research foundation in Sao Paolo

· Participate in cutting edge fieldwork in collaboration with leading academics in both Asia and Latin America on all manner of socioeconomic rights, including the right to health, food and water

· Go to the Middle East and provide technical assistance to democracies in transition, with leading NGOs based in-country

Also, you continue to take language classes the second semester of 1L. After that, I think they continue to provide support, maybe with more language classes (don't remember) and more help finding stuff for 2L summer if you want, though you can easily get an SA abroad through traditional OCS. Note that this is different than CHRGJ which is a 1L summer internship @ UN/Intl NGOs program, and its different than the IILJ program which is more competitive (and gives $$$$$ to admitted students who otherwise would've gone to Yale or Harvard). I think you just join this program if you demonstrate interest in working abroad after law school, but again, I don't really know as the program is in a nascent stage. The people setting it up are amazing though and absolutely FEAST upon student input. Seriously, the Hauser office holds weekly wine-fueled student focus groups where the director grills anyone interested about their wants/needs for the program. If this puts wind in your sails I'd contact Meera de Mel at lawglobal@exchange.law.nyu.edu and tell her you're interests and such. Even/Especially if you're a 0L! Sorry this post is a little disjointed!!

Will do. The information on Hauser in on the website/in the promotional material is really vague. I didn't realize you'd have to apply prior to attendance... I hope its not too late. I suppose I will find out more at ASD.

barrotmartin

Postby barrotmartin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:38 pm

Will do. The information on Hauser in on the website/in the promotional material is really vague. I didn't realize you'd have to apply prior to attendance... I hope its not too late. I suppose I will find out more at ASD.

Would appreciate any info you might bring back and post here.

Tadatsune

Postby Tadatsune » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:20 pm

barrotmartin wrote:

Certainly.

calvinlovehobbes

Postby calvinlovehobbes » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:10 pm

nsbane wrote:
Tadatsune wrote:

In specific:

Tokyo 2010
Beijing 2009
Hong Kong 2008
Shanghai 2007

this sounds like a pretty amazing program. any suggestions in my specific situation? I'm in at NYU no money and UCLA with huge $$. To be honest i dont know exactly what kind of postgrad work i want so i'm a little conflicted. The obvious debt at NYU scares me into thinking I have less options than with low debt at UCLA, but it also seems on the flipside NYU offers a sizeable amount of different programs and opportunities that I'm not sure UCLA offers? I do have interest in international work, and maybe even sports/entertainment.

I'm a socal native though and I see myself going back to LA although I would love a different city experience for a few years. Is that in itself worth the considerable amount of debt? And I keep getting conflicting opinions on the true strength of an NYU law degree in an LA market vs. a UCLA one. Any opinions on that too?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:17 am

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:06 pm

calvinlovehobbes wrote:
this sounds like a pretty amazing program. any suggestions in my specific situation? I'm in at NYU no money and UCLA with huge $$. To be honest i dont know exactly what kind of postgrad work i want so i'm a little conflicted. The obvious debt at NYU scares me into thinking I have less options than with low debt at UCLA, but it also seems on the flipside NYU offers a sizeable amount of different programs and opportunities that I'm not sure UCLA offers? I do have interest in international work, and maybe even sports/entertainment.

I'm a socal native though and I see myself going back to LA although I would love a different city experience for a few years. Is that in itself worth the considerable amount of debt? And I keep getting conflicting opinions on the true strength of an NYU law degree in an LA market vs. a UCLA one. Any opinions on that too?

NYU still has more cachet in LA than UCLA. Since you have socal ties, LA firms will go deeper into the class to get you at NYU than they would at UCLA. That said, they are small enough that the top ones probably won't go that much deeper. I would probably recommend UCLA if you know that you want to work in LA and would be happy nowhere else. The big difference is that at UCLA if you don't do well enough to get a job in LA (probably around top third) you are going to have a hard time getting a biglaw job anywhere else. At NYU you will still at least be able to get a job in NYC with median grades.

Tadatsune

Postby Tadatsune » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:22 am

barrotmartin wrote:

As requested:

So, I am still a bit vague on the Hauser program. Was told it was mainly PI focused.

More to the point, the new Immersion program is a real thing. They hope to have it up and running soon. (ie class of 2015 should be able to benefit from some or all of the program features). It's going to have increased language support and international internship/SA opportunities. Details not worked out yet.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:51 pm

Going to be visiting on Friday, probably in the afternoon. Would like to visit a class.* I know there are few classes on Friday but if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. Also, how awkward will this be on a scale of 1-10?

*NYU suggests I do so from 12:00-1:50.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:57 pm

snehpets wrote:Going to be visiting on Friday, probably in the afternoon. Would like to visit a class.* I know there are few classes on Friday but if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. Also, how awkward will this be on a scale of 1-10?

Personal recommendation would be The Administrative and Regulatory State with Barkow.

And it won't be awkward. Until I meet you, talk to you, and then PM you later that I know who you are but you don't know who I am. :lol:

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:01 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
snehpets wrote:Going to be visiting on Friday, probably in the afternoon. Would like to visit a class.* I know there are few classes on Friday but if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. Also, how awkward will this be on a scale of 1-10?

Personal recommendation would be The Administrative and Regulatory State with Barkow.

And it won't be awkward. Until I meet you, talk to you, and then PM you later that I know who you are but you don't know who I am. :lol:

:lol:

the website says I need to go up to the prof and let her know I'm sitting in. Is this true? Is this pretty commonplace?

^neurotic.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:17 pm

snehpets wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

the website says I need to go up to the prof and let her know I'm sitting in. Is this true? Is this pretty commonplace?

^neurotic.

It'd probably be courteous, but there are chairs in the back of the room that you'll sit in, and if she sees you there she'll know.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:38 pm

snehpets wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

^neurotic.

^^^^ He really does this. The Barkow is credited, she is really good; I was going to just stay for one hour until the break, but I ended up staying for the full two hours. W/r/t the letting the teacher know, I didn't have time to introduce myself/ask before class, so I went over during the break - she is supercool, nothing to be nervous about. Enjoy!

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:56 am

So I got a Financial Aid award from NYU with an April 6th deadline, and it looks like I may not get my FA package from Columbia by then. I know several people on TLS are in similar situations.. Are there any current NYU students who faced this issue last year, and how did you end up dealing with it?

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:41 pm

ahnhub wrote:So I got a Financial Aid award from NYU with an April 6th deadline, and it looks like I may not get my FA package from Columbia by then. I know several people on TLS are in similar situations.. Are there any current NYU students who faced this issue last year, and how did you end up dealing with it?

Just politely let them know about NYU and ask them if they'll hurry up. Got me $ last year.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:43 pm

thsmthcrmnl wrote:
ahnhub wrote:So I got a Financial Aid award from NYU with an April 6th deadline, and it looks like I may not get my FA package from Columbia by then. I know several people on TLS are in similar situations.. Are there any current NYU students who faced this issue last year, and how did you end up dealing with it?

Just politely let them know about NYU and ask them if they'll hurry up. Got me $ last year.

CLS has been responding to this by telling people to get their NYU deadline extended. You didn't experience this last year?

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:43 pm

snehpets wrote:
thsmthcrmnl wrote:

CLS has been responding to this by telling people to get their NYU deadline extended. You didn't experience this last year?

So yeah, I let them know and I pressed a little bit, but the FA person seemed to have a well-formulated answer: they can't tell me when my FA will be finished, and they suggest I get my NYU deadline extended.

I looked into the 2010 threads, and it seemed NYU actually did extend for a few people who were waiting on other schools' FA offers--but only for a week or so.

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:32 pm

snehpets wrote:
thsmthcrmnl wrote:

No, I didn't. Don't know what to say to that. Sorry I wasn't helpful.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:17 pm

thsmthcrmnl wrote:
snehpets wrote:
thsmthcrmnl wrote:

No, I didn't. Don't know what to say to that. Sorry I wasn't helpful.

NYU will extend the deadline. They gave me no trouble about it last year. CLS was still kind of dickish, however, about complying with the NYU extension. I would recommend telling them that your deadline from NYU is a bit sooner than it actually is so you have some wiggle room. Additionally, I would try to determine before CLS responds to you how much money they would have to offer to pull you away from NYU. It's highly likely that you won't have very much time before the NYU deadline to consider CLS's figure. If you have a number in mind it makes that choice easier. CLS didn't meet my number so I deposited at NYU immediately after I received their financial aid decision and felt good about it.

sn20

Postby sn20 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:42 pm

Can any current students give us any insight into success stories for negotiating more money? It's been good to hear that deadline extensions actually happened last year.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”