NYU 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
birdlaw117

Gold

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:53 pm

jellybean8 wrote:How easy is it to get the specific room type you want on campus?

In particular, a triple in Mercer?
Pretty easy. No guarantee, but it's pretty likely.

arez

New

Post by arez » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:44 pm

Just out of curiousity, what do they mean by this block schedule: --LinkRemoved--?

Does it refer to sections? or something else entirely?

Also, do all 1Ls have Friday class?

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:23 pm

What was your impression on how things went this past fall's EIW?

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:16 pm

drbarry987 wrote:What was your impression on how things went this past fall's EIW?
Everything I have heard has been very positive, but as a 1L it's all anecdotal. We will get more EIW information at the end of this week, so if you remind me this weekend I may be able to comment further.

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:27 pm

drbarry987 wrote:What was your impression on how things went this past fall's EIW?
2L here. General interpretation is that things went very well for those who participated. Pretty much seems like everyone who wanted a big firm job in NYC got one, but this is not to say that everyone got the specific firm they wanted. The few people who struck out were those who targeted secondary markets and lacked either the grades or the ties sufficient to land one. Still I know several people who landed firm offers from D.C., California, etc. but they certainly are much more difficult and unpredictable.

This is not to say that everyone had jobs by the end of EIW. Several people did not participate for various reasons and those who did not have had trouble in landing jobs. Still, I do not know of anyone currently who does not have some job for the summer. Sidenote: I strongly recommend participating in EIW even if you are 100% sure you do not want to work in a firm. Just because you get an offer does not mean you have to take it, but it's certainly better than not having one.

Disclaimer: I do not claim that no 2L at NYU does not have a summer job, only that I don't personally know of one. I also claim no knowledge on the status of 3Ls.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:34 pm

I'm a 2L, and from my view, it seemed to be excellent. Almost everyone I know had their pick of top firms. Let me first say that my sample is likely a bit skewed. Most of my friends are transfers, and of the 12 or so transfers I keep up with, everyone has V25 or higher firm lined up, with a few SullCrom, Cravath, etc. level jobs snagged. In my classes themselves, I keep up with 7 people, and everyone is going to a V15 or higher firm. The only other group I keep up with are those on my journal, where most of my friends are going to V10 firms. So my sample adds up to about 30 people that likely all skew toward the higher end of the class, but it adds up to the general proposition that, if you have halfway decent grades, you will absolutely end up with NYC firm job. I'm not sure what the success rate was outside of NYC (2 of those people I mentioned are working in CA), but if you want NYC, it seemed like it was incredibly easy.

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:46 pm

Definitely some comforting anecdotes above. Choosing b/w Columbia and NYU here, getting Biglaw is definitely top of my priority.

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:47 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Definitely some comforting anecdotes above. Choosing b/w Columbia and NYU here, getting Biglaw is definitely top of my priority.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:35 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Definitely some comforting anecdotes above. Choosing b/w Columbia and NYU here, getting Biglaw is definitely top of my priority.
Then just pick based on where you got more $$, since biglaw chances are very good from both schools. And if the biglaw you want is in NYC, then its very easy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:35 pm

Does it really take an hour to get to Citi Field, as HopStop suggests?

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:58 pm

kaiser wrote:
Then just pick based on where you got more $$, since biglaw chances are very good from both schools. And if the biglaw you want is in NYC, then its very easy.
This. People at either school will tell you that Biglaw chances really are equal at both. Marginal differences betwen placement are a slight edge to Columbia in clerkships & academia and an edge to NYU in public interest jobs. Elsewise, follow the money or "feel." Also, make that difficult choice between Washington Heights and Greenwich Village...

jellybean8

New

Post by jellybean8 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:31 am

Yeshia90 wrote:Does it really take an hour to get to Citi Field, as HopStop suggests?
It's like 7 minutes on the subway And then maybe 15 on the LIRR. Not bad at all.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:50 am

arez wrote:Just out of curiousity, what do they mean by this block schedule: --LinkRemoved--?

Does it refer to sections? or something else entirely?

Also, do all 1Ls have Friday class?
No, that has nothing to do with sections. They will post the section groupings when they post the course listings for next year (I think sometime in late April/early May?) although they are pretty much meaningless until you know what section you are in. Last semester, I'm pretty sure every section had class on Friday except one, and this semester, I think every section has class on Friday.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ssteiner

Bronze

Post by ssteiner » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:56 am

Do any current students have housing recommendations? I saw a two bedroom in D'Agostino and didn't really like how cramped it was. There are shared two bedrooms with living rooms and there are also studio apartments, and Mercer had some larger two bedroom options. I've heard that 1Ls tend to live in D'Agostino so I'm leaning towards either the two bedroom with the living room or a studio. On the one hand, I want to socialize and am worried about doing that less if I'm on my own in a studio, but on the other hand I like having my own space and I'm also worried that I'll never use the living room. Any advice?

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:24 pm

ssteiner wrote:Do any current students have housing recommendations? I saw a two bedroom in D'Agostino and didn't really like how cramped it was. There are shared two bedrooms with living rooms and there are also studio apartments, and Mercer had some larger two bedroom options. I've heard that 1Ls tend to live in D'Agostino so I'm leaning towards either the two bedroom with the living room or a studio. On the one hand, I want to socialize and am worried about doing that less if I'm on my own in a studio, but on the other hand I like having my own space and I'm also worried that I'll never use the living room. Any advice?
I don't think 1L's usually get the 2 bedrooms with living rooms or studios. I haven't heard of any who did, but I could be wrong about that. Also FWIW, the split between Mercer and D'ag seems pretty even (if anything I know more people who live in Mercer).

crooked

Bronze

Post by crooked » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:25 am

What electives are you all taking, and what's the conventional wisdom on how to pick those (i.e., get a doctrinal course out of the way, subject you're interested in, go for the professor, etc.)?

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:47 pm

crooked wrote:What electives are you all taking, and what's the conventional wisdom on how to pick those (i.e., get a doctrinal course out of the way, subject you're interested in, go for the professor, etc.)?
Took Con. Law with Levinson and it's easily one of my favorite courses I've taken in LS if not my favorite. Really there is no "conventional wisdom" on the topic beyond take a course your interested in and has a decent professor. You'll have to take Property by the end of 2L so some people like to get it done early. Theres so many good Con. Law professors that some prefer to wait to take it. Corporations is a good way to get a headstart if you're interested in Transactional work or you want to gamble at getting a high grade and having a nice and relevant mark for EIW. Same with Tax, but more specialized of course. Finally Intl. Law is well, Intl. Law.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:50 am

what's the gym situation? at my undergrad, for example, grad students are automatically members. is this true at NYU? if so, how is it? should I be anticipating having to join an actual gym?

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:06 pm

snehpets wrote:what's the gym situation? at my undergrad, for example, grad students are automatically members. is this true at NYU? if so, how is it? should I be anticipating having to join an actual gym?
Automatic membership. Coles is conveniently right across the street from the Mercer dorm. The larger and more reputable Palladium is a bit of a trek up to Union Square.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:48 pm

Detrox wrote:
snehpets wrote:what's the gym situation? at my undergrad, for example, grad students are automatically members. is this true at NYU? if so, how is it? should I be anticipating having to join an actual gym?
Automatic membership. Coles is conveniently right across the street from the Mercer dorm. The larger and more reputable Palladium is a bit of a trek up to Union Square.
Yeah, but if you're going to Palladium to workout, the trek is just a nice warmup.

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:17 pm

First time moving out of state. Do people typically get a new license for NY?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sn20

Bronze

Post by sn20 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:23 pm

I know this thread is supposed to be NYU 1L's, but if any 2L/3L's are lurking around, how does NYU do in Texas? More specifically, could anyone give me an idea of the "grade cutoffs" for the major Texas firms (BB, VE, etc.)? Thanks!

blueskies

New

Post by blueskies » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:14 pm

rm
Last edited by blueskies on Sun May 15, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:27 pm

blueskies wrote:Could a current NYU student comment on the different spring elective options? Con, Corp, Prop, Tax. Specifically, I'm thinking about con law and property, though I'm not sure which I'd want to take. Is there any advantage to taking one earlier than the other? Are any known to be particularly easy or particularly difficult? In case it matters: I want to clerk, and while I'm considering shooting for PI work, I want to have biglaw as an option.
Con Law was the most requested class, 184 people were in the lottery for 90 or so spots. Property has two sections, so you will likely get it if you bid it. That said, you may not get the Professor you want.

I enjoy Corporations. It's a bit like advanced Contracts.

facetious

Bronze

Post by facetious » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:30 pm

blueskies wrote:Could a current NYU student comment on the different spring elective options? Con, Corp, Prop, Tax. Specifically, I'm thinking about con law and property, though I'm not sure which I'd want to take. Is there any advantage to taking one earlier than the other? Are any known to be particularly easy or particularly difficult? In case it matters: I want to clerk, and while I'm considering shooting for PI work, I want to have biglaw as an option.
FYI: i've heard from some of my professors that Income Tax might not be offered next year due to a general lack of interest. My 1L year there were I think only 35, and I think it's similar this year. In place, they may be adding an extra corporations or con law.

You have to take property by the end of 2L. I took corporations 1L, glad I did for a whole host of reasons, but taking property as a 2L suckssss. But really, take what interests you, and if nothing interests you, then take property to get it out of the way. there's no "easy" class or "advantage" - it's 1L, all that matters are your grades and you'll do better in a class you find at least remotely interesting.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”