NYU 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
spaceman82

New

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Post by spaceman82 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:21 pm

What are the best housing options for a non-traditional student who is not interested in living with a roommate? I know there are some singles/studios available in the dorms--but are they possible, in practice, for one to get as a 1L? What about off-campus housing--any suggestions there?

IFoughtTheLaw

New

Post by IFoughtTheLaw » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:30 pm

spaceman82 wrote:What are the best housing options for a non-traditional student who is not interested in living with a roommate? I know there are some singles/studios available in the dorms--but are they possible, in practice, for one to get as a 1L? What about off-campus housing--any suggestions there?
I have not heard of a 1L getting a studio, but I could be wrong. (I think you can get one if you are married).

Off-campus, just be aware that a studio near NYU will be really expensive and shitty. Living with a roomate, or further away from campus, will save you money.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:33 pm

IFoughtTheLaw wrote:
spaceman82 wrote:What are the best housing options for a non-traditional student who is not interested in living with a roommate? I know there are some singles/studios available in the dorms--but are they possible, in practice, for one to get as a 1L? What about off-campus housing--any suggestions there?
I have not heard of a 1L getting a studio, but I could be wrong. (I think you can get one if you are married).

Off-campus, just be aware that a studio near NYU will be really expensive and shitty. Living with a roomate, or further away from campus, will save you money.
I do know of 1Ls that had a studio, but it's rare.

spaceman82

New

Post by spaceman82 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:57 pm

I may just look into living away from campus then, but dread paying a broker, etc. How useful are the NYU listings in getting around that problem?

izy223

Bronze

Post by izy223 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:40 am

spaceman82 wrote:I may just look into living away from campus then, but dread paying a broker, etc. How useful are the NYU listings in getting around that problem?
depends where you want to live i can not find one apt near NYU that i could get to without a broker

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:45 am

spaceman82 wrote:I may just look into living away from campus then, but dread paying a broker, etc. How useful are the NYU listings in getting around that problem?
The NYU postings can be very helpful. But it is mostly going to be people with an apartment, looking for a roommate so it really just depends on what you're looking for as to how helpful it is.

spaceman82

New

Post by spaceman82 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks, guys. Not what I was hoping to hear--but I appreciate it nonetheless.

poe

Bronze

Post by poe » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:32 am

Probably a stupid question: does anyone know if it's possible to send packages to D'ag a few days ahead of your arrival, and have it held at the front desk? Couldn't find anything about it in any of the check-in procedures, so I'm assuming the answer is no, but just want to be sure.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:44 am

poe wrote:Probably a stupid question: does anyone know if it's possible to send packages to D'ag a few days ahead of your arrival, and have it held at the front desk? Couldn't find anything about it in any of the check-in procedures, so I'm assuming the answer is no, but just want to be sure.
You should email reslife with this question. I know people ship things, but I'm not sure about the timing issues since I did not do that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

k5220

Bronze

Post by k5220 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:56 pm

poe wrote:Probably a stupid question: does anyone know if it's possible to send packages to D'ag a few days ahead of your arrival, and have it held at the front desk? Couldn't find anything about it in any of the check-in procedures, so I'm assuming the answer is no, but just want to be sure.
when i emailed with this question, they told me that they strongly advised against it because your boxes will either be left in the lobby without supervision or returned to sender :/

xlawschoolhopefulx

Bronze

Post by xlawschoolhopefulx » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:02 am

I have a quick question about supplements-

should we be thinking of buying them if we see them cheap or being sold used? Is there a way to know if a particular guide is best for a certain professor or class (other than searching through these forums for recommendations).

Or, will professors suggest supplements on the syllabus, in which case we should wait to buy them?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I just realized I haven't done much (ok.... any) 0L prep and I feel a bit behind when reading through these forums.

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:05 am

(1) Buy used. Supplements hardly change from one version to the next.

(2) Some professors will recommend certain supplements either by mentioning them in their syllabus or in class. This is largely professor specific, however, so I'd wait until after your first few classes to purchase anything.

(3) If your professor has a supplement they themselves wrote, don't buy a casebook. Just kidding. But seriously, you might not need to.

xlawschoolhopefulx wrote:I have a quick question about supplements-

should we be thinking of buying them if we see them cheap or being sold used? Is there a way to know if a particular guide is best for a certain professor or class (other than searching through these forums for recommendations).

Or, will professors suggest supplements on the syllabus, in which case we should wait to buy them?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I just realized I haven't done much (ok.... any) 0L prep and I feel a bit behind when reading through these forums.

nutella123

New

Post by nutella123 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:35 am

Now getting to the really important stuff... how do people (women) dress for class? For orientation? Sorry to be so mundane.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thsmthcrmnl

Bronze

Post by thsmthcrmnl » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:12 am

nutella123 wrote:Now getting to the really important stuff... how do people (women) dress for class? For orientation? Sorry to be so mundane.
It's casual, but usually people, especially women, make an effort for it to look like nice casual. There's a range. Some dudes are going to wear jeans and a t-shirt and look pretty bad. Others are going to wear the same thing, but their shoes will be nice and the shirt will fit and they'll look pretty good. Women wear jeans and skirts and occasionally casual dresses. There's a merciful absence of leggings and Uggs. A small but noticeable chunk of the class is rich New Yorkers who care about fashion.

It's the same for orientation, although I vaguely think people might have been a bit more dressed up at night.

Hope that's helpful.

nutella123

New

Post by nutella123 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:19 pm

thsmthcrmnl wrote:
nutella123 wrote:Now getting to the really important stuff... how do people (women) dress for class? For orientation? Sorry to be so mundane.
It's casual, but usually people, especially women, make an effort for it to look like nice casual. There's a range. Some dudes are going to wear jeans and a t-shirt and look pretty bad. Others are going to wear the same thing, but their shoes will be nice and the shirt will fit and they'll look pretty good. Women wear jeans and skirts and occasionally casual dresses. There's a merciful absence of leggings and Uggs. A small but noticeable chunk of the class is rich New Yorkers who care about fashion.

It's the same for orientation, although I vaguely think people might have been a bit more dressed up at night.

Hope that's helpful.
It is indeed! Gracias!

izy223

Bronze

Post by izy223 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:28 pm

Hey,

Anyone who went through orientation in the past know what the deal with the first day is? It says registration is from 9 - 5 is this a quick pick up your classes and leave type of thing? Does it matter that I cant make it till 4 or should i try and get there earlier( (i can move around soemthing i have wednesday if the first day is more then just picking up your name tag etc...)

Thanks!

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:51 pm

izy223 wrote:Hey,

Anyone who went through orientation in the past know what the deal with the first day is? It says registration is from 9 - 5 is this a quick pick up your classes and leave type of thing? Does it matter that I cant make it till 4 or should i try and get there earlier( (i can move around soemthing i have wednesday if the first day is more then just picking up your name tag etc...)

Thanks!
After talking with an administrator about it, you can definitely just show up for the 30 mins or so it takes to get processed and go off until the mixer that night. The same administrator recommended a friend (who lives far from the school) to check in at 4 so as to just hop over to the mixer after and not have an awkward time in between

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

izy223

Bronze

Post by izy223 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:45 am

vincanity1 wrote:
izy223 wrote:Hey,

Thanks!
After talking with an administrator about it, you can definitely just show up for the 30 mins or so it takes to get processed and go off until the mixer that night. The same administrator recommended a friend (who lives far from the school) to check in at 4 so as to just hop over to the mixer after and not have an awkward time in between
thanks this definitely makes my wednesday much more manageable!

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:38 am

Do all 1Ls have access to an outlet during in class exams?

Buying laptop now and trying to see if it's necessary to pay the premium for 6 vs 3.5 hrs of battery power.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:06 am

drbarry987 wrote:Do all 1Ls have access to an outlet during in class exams?

Buying laptop now and trying to see if it's necessary to pay the premium for 6 vs 3.5 hrs of battery power.
Yes, you'll always have an outlet (in exams and also in class).

nutella123

New

Post by nutella123 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:17 pm

Any insights into Neuborne for CivPro? Oren Bar-Gill for Contracts? Barkow for crim? Thanks for ideas re supplements, etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thsmthcrmnl

Bronze

Post by thsmthcrmnl » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:34 pm

nutella123 wrote:Any insights into Neuborne for CivPro? Oren Bar-Gill for Contracts? Barkow for crim? Thanks for ideas re supplements, etc.
I don't know about the other two, but Barkow is amazing, and she might be the boundless source of renewable energy that will solve global warming. This is only slight exaggeration.

Dayan114

New

Post by Dayan114 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:26 am

thsmthcrmnl wrote:
nutella123 wrote:Any insights into Neuborne for CivPro? Oren Bar-Gill for Contracts? Barkow for crim? Thanks for ideas re supplements, etc.
I don't know about the other two, but Barkow is amazing, and she might be the boundless source of renewable energy that will solve global warming. This is only slight exaggeration.
To do well on Barkow's final, start working on your typing now. Seriously—wpm matters.

thsmthcrmnl

Bronze

Post by thsmthcrmnl » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:28 am

Dayan114 wrote:To do well on Barkow's final, start working on your typing now. Seriously—wpm matters.
While this is always good advice generally, I did well typing between 4500 and 5000 words, which doesn't seem like that much. Then again, maybe it is a lot. I really don't know. And I'm going off one anecdatum, so grains of salt as appropriate.

nutella123

New

Post by nutella123 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:54 am

Thanks re typing thoughts. Any thoughts on supplements, approach to class prep? Appreciate your insights!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”