NYU 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
IFoughtTheLaw

New

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Post by IFoughtTheLaw » Thu May 17, 2012 11:06 am

Mal Reynolds wrote: Great username. Thanks for making an account and answering questions. A lot of the other regulars answer questions so we have a good idea about how they like NYU. But it you have any thoughts of your own please feel free to share. That's extremely open-ended so don't feel pressured if you can't think of anything.
No problem. Don't have much to say, but feel to ask questions.

NYU is great; you'll have an amazing time.

theaether

Bronze

Post by theaether » Thu May 17, 2012 1:18 pm

dining plans... worth it for the convenience and variety factor?

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Thu May 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Depends. I know people that had them. Remember, there are a ton of food options around the school and the law school housing. Also note that you may want to eat with friends, who likely are not on the plan, thus increasing the costs of food per semester.

On the other hand, I assume this would imply you would rarely cook. That's got to be a plus, lol.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu May 17, 2012 1:27 pm

I didn't live on campus, so take this with a grain of salt, but I've never heard of anyone being on a dining plan.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu May 17, 2012 1:33 pm

Agreed, don't know of anyone on the dining plan, and I've lived on campus for two years. Have also heard from people who are attending/attended NYU undergrad that the cafeteria dining options are dreadful. Verdict is probably don't go on the dining plan. If you want to save money, cook for yourself and shop at Trader Joe's.

Also, for the writing sample... It's nice to have one before 2L EIW, but IIRC only two firms out of the 30+ I interviewed with at EIW ever asked for a writing sample. It's not that important. (More important if you want to work outside of NYC, but the NYC firms really don't care.)

Personal experience with TAs, they were as helpful as the professors made them be. Were extremely helpful for one 1L class, only somewhat so for the other two with TAs (and kind of irrelevant for Lawyering, although good friends to have). All three graded first semester classes had TAs, but none of my second semester classes had them. (I think this is abnormal.) I'll be a Civil Procedure TA next year as a 3L (1L professor, who is amazing, was on Sabbatical during my 2L, so she's hiring 3Ls who had her two years ago). Looking forward to meeting some new 1Ls next year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theaether

Bronze

Post by theaether » Thu May 17, 2012 1:57 pm

hmm well i can't cook for shit so.. go go curry all day errday?

IFoughtTheLaw

New

Post by IFoughtTheLaw » Thu May 17, 2012 4:39 pm

theaether wrote:dining plans... worth it for the convenience and variety factor?
No. This is NYC.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Thu May 17, 2012 4:46 pm

theaether wrote:dining plans... worth it for the convenience and variety factor?
Not at all. Also a dining plan at NYU isn't really as convenient to the law school as you would think. You will get sick of the food options immediately around campus though. There are only so many times per week you can eat at Dos Toros or Mamouns without feeling like your heart is going to stop...

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu May 17, 2012 4:47 pm

chasgoose wrote:
Not at all. Also a dining plan at NYU isn't really as convenient to the law school as you would think. You will get sick of the food options immediately around campus though. There are only so many times per week you can eat at Dos Toros or Mamouns without feeling like your heart is going to stop...
What about Grey's Papaya though? I would never get sick of that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Thu May 17, 2012 4:57 pm

What's the closest grocery store that people use for general meats, produce, etc?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu May 17, 2012 5:00 pm

chasgoose wrote:
Sick of the options immediately around campus? Within just a few blocks of campus, there are literally enough restaurants where, if I were rich and could eat out every meal, I could try a different place every single day and never repeat. And thats just within a radius of a 5 min walk.

IFoughtTheLaw

New

Post by IFoughtTheLaw » Thu May 17, 2012 5:04 pm

drbarry987 wrote:What's the closest grocery store that people use for general meats, produce, etc?
Gristedes is across the street from mercer but is a total shithole and not even cheap.

Morton Williams is 2 blocks away, still dumpy, but better.

There's a whole foods and trader joes on 14th. And another whole foods on Houston close to mercer.

Also on 14th is the farmers market Monday, Wednesday Friday and Saturday's.

Theres a citarella on w8th which is fancy and kinda expensive.

A few butchers nearby too

Fiddler08

New

Post by Fiddler08 » Thu May 17, 2012 5:27 pm

So, this is a trivial question, but: what are the cheap eats around campus? So far I've heard of Mamouns, Dos Toros, and Gray's Papaya. Anywhere else? Any favorites outside the neighborhood?

Also (again, trivial): what are the best coffee shops?
I've heard that Stumptown may be opening a place in the village soon.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Fri May 18, 2012 4:54 pm

dumb question - but do we get a lawstudent@nyu.law.edu email address? All I have is a lawstudent@nyu.edu account.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Fri May 18, 2012 6:21 pm

Fiddler08 wrote:So, this is a trivial question, but: what are the cheap eats around campus? So far I've heard of Mamouns, Dos Toros, and Gray's Papaya. Anywhere else? Any favorites outside the neighborhood?

There are tons of things nearby (almost everything around campus is "cheap eats." The best coffee by far is at Third Rail, which is basically kitty corner from Furman Hall. They have Stumptown and Intelligenstia roasts and Balthazar pastries.

IFoughtTheLaw

New

Post by IFoughtTheLaw » Fri May 18, 2012 9:15 pm

chasgoose wrote:
Fiddler08 wrote:So, this is a trivial question, but: what are the cheap eats around campus? So far I've heard of Mamouns, Dos Toros, and Gray's Papaya. Anywhere else? Any favorites outside the neighborhood?

There are tons of things nearby (almost everything around campus is "cheap eats." The best coffee by far is at Third Rail, which is basically kitty corner from Furman Hall. They have Stumptown and Intelligenstia roasts and Balthazar pastries.
Everyone seems to love Third Rail, but I only drink espresso, and they do not make a good espresso.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Fri May 18, 2012 11:40 pm

IFoughtTheLaw wrote:
chasgoose wrote:

Everyone seems to love Third Rail, but I only drink espresso, and they do not make a good espresso.
True, their strength is in real coffee, not espresso.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Sat May 19, 2012 12:37 am

chasgoose wrote:

This. Bagels on the Square and Joe's Pizza deserve special mention. Joe's Pizza, about a block away from Vanderbilt, is said to be a contender for the best slice of pizza in the city. John's on Bleecker (About 2-3 blocks away) is top 5 best pizzas (no slices though). NYU is really the place to be for amazing food options.

Fiddler08

New

Post by Fiddler08 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:36 pm

Thanks for your responses!

Here's another question: how many of you bought one of the "law school recommended" computers through the bookstore and how many bought something different?

I'm considering buying a cheaper MacBook than the one listed as "recommended for law students" since I assume I'll really just be using it for word processing, research, and exams. Is this a correct assumption or am I off here?

NYC_7911

Bronze

Post by NYC_7911 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:44 pm

Fiddler08 wrote:Thanks for your responses!

Here's another question: how many of you bought one of the "law school recommended" computers through the bookstore and how many bought something different?

I'm considering buying a cheaper MacBook than the one listed as "recommended for law students" since I assume I'll really just be using it for word processing, research, and exams. Is this a correct assumption or am I off here?
I'm curious about laptops, too. Have you seen classmates using MacBook Airs? I'm going to be commuting from Brooklyn, and I like how light the Air is. I assume it has enough computing power (technical term!) to get me through law school, but I want to be sure. Thanks!

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:53 pm

NYC_7911 wrote:

I'm curious about laptops, too. Have you seen classmates using MacBook Airs? I'm going to be commuting from Brooklyn, and I like how light the Air is. I assume it has enough computing power (technical term!) to get me through law school, but I want to be sure. Thanks!
I've seen people with Airs, netbooks, iPads, etc. Just make sure you have something that is compatible with the test-taking software. But otherwise try and get something small/light.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

knickerbocker

New

Post by knickerbocker » Mon May 21, 2012 1:57 pm

Do the NYU dorms (Mercer and D'Angelo) have dishwashing machines?

NYC_7911

Bronze

Post by NYC_7911 » Mon May 21, 2012 2:01 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
NYC_7911 wrote:

I've seen people with Airs, netbooks, iPads, etc. Just make sure you have something that is compatible with the test-taking software. But otherwise try and get something small/light.
That's great -- thanks for the feedback.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon May 21, 2012 4:14 pm

knickerbocker wrote:Do the NYU dorms (Mercer and D'Angelo) have dishwashing machines?
I'm unaware of any that do. Pretty sure none have them.

izy223

Bronze

Post by izy223 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:30 pm

drbarry987 wrote:dumb question - but do we get a lawstudent@nyu.law.edu email address? All I have is a lawstudent@nyu.edu account.
bumping this because im wondering this too

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”