NYU 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thsmthcrmnl

Bronze

Re: NYU 1L Taking Questions

Post by thsmthcrmnl » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:08 am

nutella123 wrote:Thanks re typing thoughts. Any thoughts on supplements, approach to class prep? Appreciate your insights!
Everyone's different. Some people are going to work extremely hard and some aren't. Some people take scrupulous notes. Some people don't do the readings. Some people swear by E&Es. It's not that there's any one path. You're going to need to find out what works for you. That can be hard, because there's not formal feedback, so how do you know if it's really working? The best advice I can give is do no more work than the amount it takes to understand class. If everything makes sense, go home, watch Parks and Rec, and don't worry about how late other people are in the library. And if things don't make sense, worker harder, or work smarter, until they do.

I myself always did the reading and went to almost all the classes. But I didn't take notes or outline; I studied off the outline bank, and a bunch of E&Es and Emmanuel'ses. I have no idea whether you should do this too.

poloshark

New

Post by poloshark » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Also in section 1. I couldn't find any past exams for Bar-Gill or Barkow. Neuborne exam's seems like the typical issue spotter but I'm curious re: format, emphasis on policy analysis, etc. for the other two-- if anyone has any insights. Thanks all!

Dayan114

New

Post by Dayan114 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:54 pm

poloshark wrote:Also in section 1. I couldn't find any past exams for Bar-Gill or Barkow. Neuborne exam's seems like the typical issue spotter but I'm curious re: format, emphasis on policy analysis, etc. for the other two-- if anyone has any insights. Thanks all!
There are plenty of exams available when you're ready for them. That day is not now. But if you're determined, you can grab them on the library website (http://www.law.nyu.edu/library/librarys ... /index.htm)

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:39 am

poloshark wrote:Also in section 1. I couldn't find any past exams for Bar-Gill or Barkow. Neuborne exam's seems like the typical issue spotter but I'm curious re: format, emphasis on policy analysis, etc. for the other two-- if anyone has any insights. Thanks all!
Holy fuck calm down.

poloshark

New

Post by poloshark » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:46 am

Dayan114 wrote:
There are plenty of exams available when you're ready for them. That day is not now. But if you're determined, you can grab them on the library website (http://www.law.nyu.edu/library/librarys ... /index.htm)

What I'm saying is that I searched the above exam bank and there aren't any available for Barkow or Bar-Gill. Only from Neuborne's past Procedure exams.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IFoughtTheLaw

New

Post by IFoughtTheLaw » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:53 am

poloshark wrote:
Dayan114 wrote:

What I'm saying is that I searched the above exam bank and there aren't any available for Barkow or Bar-Gill. Only from Neuborne's past Procedure exams.
Chill the fuck out, you havent event started classes. Barkow will probably give you a ton of sample exams. From reading them, it was apparent to me that quality of writing mattered very little, she only cared about how many issues you spotted.

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:49 pm

I've heard repeatedly that there's almost always some free lunch to be had somewhere on campus. Is there some consolidated list for these talks and such?

IFoughtTheLaw

New

Post by IFoughtTheLaw » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:01 pm

vincanity1 wrote:I've heard repeatedly that there's almost always some free lunch to be had somewhere on campus. Is there some consolidated list for these talks and such?
COASES or people writing on chalkboards.

poloshark

New

Post by poloshark » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:54 pm

How fun are the bar reviews? Just got the SBA email. Sounds tight.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:14 pm

poloshark wrote:How fun are the bar reviews? Just got the SBA email. Sounds tight.
Fun and nice for some good free drinks, but be prepared for crowds on crowds.

nutella123

New

Post by nutella123 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:00 am

Hope everyone is having a good LD weekend. Still hoping for some guidance on supplements/approaches for Neuborne for CivPro,Oren Bar-Gill for Contracts, and Barkow for crim. Thanks for any help you can offer.

nutella123

New

Post by nutella123 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:26 pm

thsmthcrmnl wrote:
nutella123 wrote:Any insights into Neuborne for CivPro? Oren Bar-Gill for Contracts? Barkow for crim? Thanks for ideas re supplements, etc.
I don't know about the other two, but Barkow is amazing, and she might be the boundless source of renewable energy that will solve global warming. This is only slight exaggeration.
Thanks. Any thoughts on supplements or other keys to success? I'm looking for 2L who can offer insights since I'm a newbies. Thanks.

Dayan114

New

Post by Dayan114 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:49 pm

nutella123 wrote:
thsmthcrmnl wrote:
nutella123 wrote:Any insights into Neuborne for CivPro? Oren Bar-Gill for Contracts? Barkow for crim? Thanks for ideas re supplements, etc.
I don't know about the other two, but Barkow is amazing, and she might be the boundless source of renewable energy that will solve global warming. This is only slight exaggeration.
Thanks. Any thoughts on supplements or other keys to success? I'm looking for 2L who can offer insights since I'm a newbies. Thanks.
Go to class. Read your casebook. Listen, take notes, and think. There is no magic bullet, so do yourself a favor and stop looking for it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

izy223

Bronze

Post by izy223 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:26 am

sorry to resurrect this thread but... anyone know of a good suppliment for Contracts with Wurgler i cant seem to find any

SystemOfaDownEconomy

New

Post by SystemOfaDownEconomy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:55 pm

If anyone here is on LR and has a detailed (not truncated/attack) OL for Neuborne (CP), BarGill (Ks) or Barkow (Crim), I'm willing to PayPal $100/per. PM me.

User has been warned. Also: lol @ $100 per outline.

Dayan114

New

Post by Dayan114 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:05 pm

SystemOfaDownEconomy wrote:If anyone here is on LR and has a detailed (not truncated/attack) OL for Neuborne (CP), BarGill (Ks) or Barkow (Crim), I'm willing to PayPal $100/per. PM me.
This is some unethical shit right here...

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Dayan114 wrote:
SystemOfaDownEconomy wrote:If anyone here is on LR and has a detailed (not truncated/attack) OL for Neuborne (CP), BarGill (Ks) or Barkow (Crim), I'm willing to PayPal $100/per. PM me.
It also seems to be a post by the third account of an annoyingly overzealous 1L in both this thread and in the 3L questions thread given the fact that the exact same professors are being asked about repeatedly by "different" people.

Edit- Corrected to 1L. My bad. Point stills stands...
Last edited by Detrox on Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:01 pm

Detrox wrote:
Dayan114 wrote:
It also seems to be a post by the third account of an annoyingly overzealous 0L in both this thread and in the 3L questions thread given the fact that the exact same professors are being asked about repeatedly by "different" people.
Why would a 0L be asking for this? NYU hasn't even admitted people yet, have they? And even so, how could this kid know what professors he will have? I would assume he is a 1L who just started, who clearly doesn't realize the school maintains an online outline bank open to all students.

izy223

Bronze

Post by izy223 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:58 pm

hey any 2ls still on this thread- i had a question about spring 2013 class selection.

Do gunners generally self select into con law with levinson? should I avoid the class if im worried about being screwed by the curve and take corporations (which i hear has an easier curve)?

Dayan114

New

Post by Dayan114 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:36 pm

izy223 wrote:hey any 2ls still on this thread- i had a question about spring 2013 class selection.

Do gunners generally self select into con law with levinson? should I avoid the class if im worried about being screwed by the curve and take corporations (which i hear has an easier curve)?
I mean...yeah. But take it anyway.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:43 pm

can you speak to your housing arrangements, both in the process of securing it, and what it's like?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thsmthcrmnl

Bronze

Post by thsmthcrmnl » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:15 am

toothbrush wrote:can you speak to your housing arrangements, both in the process of securing it, and what it's like?
Most 1Ls, maybe 70% to 80%, live in the dorms. There are two: D'ag and Mercer. D'ag has small rooms and is right across from the main law building. Mercer has bigger rooms, is more expensive, and is about an eight-minute walk. Both look like dorms, although they're structured like apartments. They're expensive, although reasonable for the location. Many people move out for 2L and 3L. Some stay.

People not in the dorms live all over—in Brooklyn, in Hoboken, up in Harlem.

Getting on-campus housing is easy. Off-campus apartment-hunting can be pretty zany. I got my apartment in Brooklyn off Craigslist, and it was a wacky couple of days. If you don't want to live in the dorms, unless you're totally loaded or have some in, you're going to need to come to New York to hunt.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:09 pm

Can anyone speak to the prospects of getting CA biglaw if you have strong ties (preferrably LA/OC)?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:55 pm

How is T-Mobile service in the area (and inside the law school)? How is 4G coverage and speeds?

Can anyone shed light on the study abroad programs? I know these are considered a waste of time and money, but NYU has a partner faculty in the country where my parents live and itd be awesome to spend a semester there. Thats the only reason Im interested. How much extra are you paying to do one of these?

izy223

Bronze

Post by izy223 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:19 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:How is T-Mobile service in the area (and inside the law school)? How is 4G coverage and speeds?

Can anyone shed light on the study abroad programs? I know these are considered a waste of time and money, but NYU has a partner faculty in the country where my parents live and itd be awesome to spend a semester there. Thats the only reason Im interested. How much extra are you paying to do one of these?
Not the OP but ill try to answer.

The study abroad program for the 3rd year (im assuming thats what your asking about) is brand new so no one really knows about it. The beauty of NYU is going to be that studying abroad will be at a NYU facility which could be great.

As for Tmobile- its not bad, Verizon is the best in NYC but most carriers work well enough in manhattan

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”