Is there a lot of homework in law school?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
fumagalli

Is there a lot of homework in law school?

Postby fumagalli » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:07 am

Are there a lot of papers to write and research to do? 'Cause until a few days ago I thought it was just all about exams and your grades are based on that.

I hate writing papers and doing research so much I would really reconsider going to law school just because of this.

And how hard/complicate/long/important are assignments in law school?

Mal Reynolds

Re: Is there a lot of homework in law school?

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:28 am

I heard law school has nothing to do with reading and writing, so I wouldn't worry too much. I'm actually going to apply for a dual degree in physics, but Im worried because I really hate math.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:50 am

I hope this is a joke.

You should look into what lawyers actually do to if law school scares you.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:25 am

Law school is only about exams. The writing and research is only part of one class (or two depending on if your school breaks it up) that is often pass/fail or graded but weighted less.

However, if you ever want to actually, you know, be a lawyer pretty much all you do is writing and research. I'm not really sure how you got this far in the process without realizing that. There's probably less writing and research if you go into transactional, but in your 1l summer I think its impossible to avoid it. All I did last summer was writing and research and every single one of my friends did the same.

downing

Postby downing » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:48 am

It's mostly about exams, reading, and test preparation, except for your writing class. But you never know. My Con law professor assigned two essays each worth 15% of a student's total grade.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:54 am

fumagalli wrote:Are there a lot of papers to write and research to do? 'Cause until a few days ago I thought it was just all about exams and your grades are based on that.

Law school is all exams, but legal practice is all research and writing. If you don't like that, reconsider law as a profession.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:58 am

fumagalli wrote:Are there a lot of papers to write and research to do? 'Cause until a few days ago I thought it was just all about exams and your grades are based on that.

I hate writing papers and doing research so much I would really reconsider going to law school just because of this.

You should be able to handle both of these if you want to go to law school or become a lawyer. Writing is extremely important, especially grammar.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:05 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:The writing and research is only part of one class (or two depending on if your school breaks it up) that is often pass/fail or graded but weighted less.

Ha. I wish.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:08 pm

kalvano wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:The writing and research is only part of one class (or two depending on if your school breaks it up) that is often pass/fail or graded but weighted less.

Ha. I wish.

Your LRW is the same credits as your doctrinal classes? ewwwww

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:11 pm

Being a lawyer is basically writing papers for the rest of your [working] life.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Ha. I wish.

Your LRW is the same credits as your doctrinal classes? ewwwww

Indeed. Plus, we had 6 substantive classes each semester of 1L, including LRW.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:58 pm

I predict this guy will win law school.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:28 pm

Legal research and writing feels sort of different from regular research and writing. People who like non-legal R&W may not like legal R&W, and vice-versa. That said, I think there are a lot more people who like non-legal R&W and don't like legal R&W than the reverse, which is a bad sign. (I like both, which means I'm not really one to talk here.)

But yeah, it is a bad sign for the practice of law if you don't like R&W.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:11 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Being a lawyer is basically writing papers for the rest of your [working] life.

my old man is a lawyer and I don't think he has written or typed in the past 20 years.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:16 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Being a lawyer is basically writing papers for the rest of your [working] life.

my old man is a lawyer and I don't think he has written or typed in the past 20 years.

ok too general....but straight out of law school there is plenty of research.

Verity

Postby Verity » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:19 pm

The exams are graded based on shlong size. If you're a girl, you fail.

anewaphorist

Postby anewaphorist » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:31 pm

The exams are graded based on shlong size. If you're a girl, you fail.

TITCR.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:52 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

ok too general....but straight out of law school there is plenty of research.

agreed.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Seriously? Ewww.

fumagalli

Postby fumagalli » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:19 am

downing wrote:It's mostly about exams, reading, and test preparation, except for your writing class. But you never know. My Con law professor assigned two essays each worth 15% of a student's total grade.

I hope this is true. Btw, as long as I don't have to write anything creative or unique I'm fine with writing stuff. I was just worried I had to write essays where I have to convey my personal opinion/perspective on things. If I'm writing dry stuff that lack opinion, I'm fine.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:24 am

kalvano wrote:Plus, we had 6 substantive classes each semester of 1L, including LRW.

Holy crap.

fumagalli wrote:
downing wrote:It's mostly about exams, reading, and test preparation, except for your writing class. But you never know. My Con law professor assigned two essays each worth 15% of a student's total grade.

I hope this is true. Btw, as long as I don't have to write anything creative or unique I'm fine with writing stuff. I was just worried I had to write essays where I have to convey my personal opinion/perspective on things. If I'm writing dry stuff that lack opinion, I'm fine.

You have made it clear that you will not be happy or at least sufficiently content in law school or the legal profession.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:43 am

fumagalli wrote:

You may be the first prospective law student that doesn't want to convey their opinion.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”