American University 2L taking questions...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Ordell

American University 2L taking questions...

Postby Ordell » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:20 pm

Fire away!

Transferthrowaway

Re: American University 2L taking questions...

Postby Transferthrowaway » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:22 pm

Employed?

Ordell

Postby Ordell » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:22 pm

Yes, I am.

You?

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:25 pm

Ordell wrote:Yes, I am.

You?

Indeed. That exhausts my list of questions.

Ordell

Postby Ordell » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:33 pm

bump

things fall apart

Postby things fall apart » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:16 am

How do things look for the coming this year's 1L class? Are things as doomsday as I hear on this board in terms of employment? Good access to DC? Portability outside? Do AU students work during the year more so than most other law students? And if so does this help with getting in the DC market?
How is the curriculum and study abroad opportunities?

Im only asking because I turned it down to get $$$ elsewhere and want to get some closure on the decision.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:29 am

You?

employed by an employer who will be employing you in a year and a half when you graduate, or a paid internship?

Also, how did the 2L class do at OCI?

Ordell

Postby Ordell » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:05 am

Geist13 wrote:

You?

employed by an employer who will be employing you in a year and a half when you graduate, or a paid internship?

Also, how did the 2L class do at OCI?

Still trying to figure out whether or not I'll be hired by the time I graduated. But it's a paid internship.

The top 20% did very well at OCI. Those who did OCI pretty much have firm jobs lined up for them.

alexandra23

Postby alexandra23 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:56 pm

Broad question, but do you like it overall? What are the downsides and upsides? Is the school more liberal or more conservative, or isn't it a big deal?

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:01 pm

Ordell wrote:Those who did OCI pretty much have firm jobs lined up for them.

Almost all of the people who participated in OCI got jobs from OCI? I'm not trying to be a dick, but frankly I have a lot of difficulty believing this accurate at American.

ThomasMN

Postby ThomasMN » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:17 pm

Not every school lets every student participate in OCI. I have heard of some law schools only letting the top 10% do OCI as those are the only kids the firms want to talk to.

Ordell

Postby Ordell » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:38 pm

alexandra23 wrote:Broad question, but do you like it overall? What are the downsides and upsides? Is the school more liberal or more conservative, or isn't it a big deal?

I love it. I really couldn't imagine being at any other school and enjoying it as much as WCL.

Upsides:
large, diverse student body (in terms of race, geography, ethnicity, social background)
public-interest oriented
location (gotta love DC)
extensive alumni network (really strong in DC so that helps with looking for jobs)
lack of cut-throat competition among students
faculty

Downsides:
large student body (so getting firm jobs is difficult)
being known only as the 3rd best school in DC
high grade curve (the curve is a 3.3/3.4 so if you graduate with anything below that, tough luck)

As for the political background, it's definitely very liberal. It's not in your face until it's time to bash a Scalia opinion in a case.

Ordell

Postby Ordell » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:50 pm

things fall apart wrote:How do things look for the coming this year's 1L class? Are things as doomsday as I hear on this board in terms of employment? Good access to DC? Portability outside? Do AU students work during the year more so than most other law students? And if so does this help with getting in the DC market?

Im only asking because I turned it down to get $$$ elsewhere and want to get some closure on the decision.

Take employment prospects touted here on TLS with a dose of salt because most people on here fall into the mindset of: T14-->top 20%-->OCI-->SA gig by 2L summer-->$$$. Anything else by these standards is failure. So clearly American gets stick on here because it's a PI minded school. That's not to say that firms don't recruit here and that students don't get firm jobs (top 20% and you're good) but most students look to work for the government, do PI work or get into policy. So just keep that in mind.

In DC, American's reputation is very solid. And that's because of the huge alumni network here. Of course, being in DC, competition for jobs is FIERCE so it would be wise for students in American/going to American to make sure they take advantage of internships, jobs and networking events in DC. The beauty of being in DC is that during the school year, the competition is almost nonexistent; jobs only go to Gtown, GW, AU and Howard students. SO if you take advantage of these opportunities and do well, it makes your search for post-grad employment that much easier since employers know you and your work. AU students do this and that's why (despite conventional TLS "wisdom") tons of AU students get jobs after graduation, esp. in DC.

American's degree does have portability but isn't really a national school (like Gtown and GW). The farther you get away from DC, the less pull your AU degree has. But with that said, AU still places students pretty well all over the country and internationally.

As far as your decision, it depends where you're going to school and how much money you got to go there. Ironically, in my situation, I turned down Gtown to go to American since AU was offering a significant amount of money for each year that I attend. So it really all boils down to whether you value prestige or finances more. Just make sure you feel comfortable and at ease with your decision.

things fall apart

Postby things fall apart » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:14 am

Ordell wrote:
things fall apart wrote:How do things look for the coming this year's 1L class? Are things as doomsday as I hear on this board in terms of employment? Good access to DC? Portability outside? Do AU students work during the year more so than most other law students? And if so does this help with getting in the DC market?

Take employment prospects touted here on TLS with a dose of salt because most people on here fall into the mindset of: T14-->top 20%-->OCI-->SA gig by 2L summer-->$$$. Anything else by these standards is failure. So clearly American gets stick on here because it's a PI minded school. That's not to say that firms don't recruit here and that students don't get firm jobs (top 20% and you're good) but most students look to work for the government, do PI work or get into policy. So just keep that in mind.

In DC, American's reputation is very solid. And that's because of the huge alumni network here. Of course, being in DC, competition for jobs is FIERCE so it would be wise for students in American/going to American to make sure they take advantage of internships, jobs and networking events in DC. The beauty of being in DC is that during the school year, the competition is almost nonexistent; jobs only go to Gtown, GW, AU and Howard students. SO if you take advantage of these opportunities and do well, it makes your search for post-grad employment that much easier since employers know you and your work. AU students do this and that's why (despite conventional TLS "wisdom") tons of AU students get jobs after graduation, esp. in DC.

American's degree does have portability but isn't really a national school (like Gtown and GW). The farther you get away from DC, the less pull your AU degree has. But with that said, AU still places students pretty well all over the country and internationally.

As far as your decision, it depends where you're going to school and how much money you got to go there. Ironically, in my situation, I turned down Gtown to go to American since AU was offering a significant amount of money for each year that I attend. So it really all boils down to whether you value prestige or finances more. Just make sure you feel comfortable and at ease with your decision.

Interesting, sometimes I regret turning down AU for a lower ranked school, but then at the same time I'm only paying $7k in tuition with a relatively low COL whereas AU was giving me nothing despite sending me an acceptance letter within 7 days of my application being complete. I guess I'll never know, but I do know everything happens for a reason.

Thats good to hear though, I am still contemplating coming to the school, ironically a friend I grew up with goes to school there and had no idea until I bumped into them over thanksgiving break.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:22 am

Hey Ordell, thanks for taking questions. So far American is at the top of my list, but I'm concerned about COL. How many students are married with children? Where do the students with families live (i.e. those who can't be in a roommate type situation)

(I'm trying to balance being close to the campus, with affordability, and safety. I don't need to live 5 minutes away, but don't want to spend 1.5-2 hours/day commuting back and forth)

Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'll think of some more questions.

Wait, just thought of one. What is the LS campus like? The only pictures I could find are of the front of the building, none of the inside. Are the facilities new/old, crowded, etc? Is it easy to find somewhere to study during finals, etc.?

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:24 am

Also, for those that get scholarships, are there stipulations? (i.e. must get above a certain GPA to renew?)

donthaveaname

Postby donthaveaname » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:44 pm

What's the parking situation?

wallflower1987

Postby wallflower1987 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:30 am

I just got accepted yesterday. I applied rather late, so it is my first acceptance (neck and neck with Brooklyn). I am just curious about the school and the area mostly. I have heard it's in a residential area, but how much of a concern is that, really?

Also, what does the school look like? If you could even send pictures I would appreciate it. All I can find are pictures of the entrance, which is annoying. Are the facilities as nice as they should be for the price and the competition?

I am amazed schools do not dedicate entire galleries to this; I cannot be the only person who will be unable to visit every school before making a decision, and the appearance of the school, facilities and location is an important factor.

Finally, and this is probably a rather stupid (and not overly serious/important) question, but how are the extracurricular, non-serious opportunities? Are there intramural sports? Is there a campus gym, or at least a nearby gym of some kind?

What is it like living in DC? I'm from the Midwest, and I have never even been to DC. That sounds alarming, perhaps, but I really haven't. I'm a political science major, and I have a master's, and I've traveled abroad alone, and moved a lot, and been in big cities... but what is it like? I imagine something from a movie or TV, but what is it really like? I'm mostly deciding between DC and New York. I've seen the formal evaluations, and the numbers. I'm curious what it is like. I know that varies from person to person, and I will weigh your response accordingly, but I just want to get a feel for the area. Thanks, whenever you get to this! I'll check back occasionally. Or PM me.

Xarici

Postby Xarici » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:21 pm

Do you see many alumni leaving for international work? What kinds of things are they doing? Is paying full sticker price to American to become involved in international human rights realistic? Would I have to be in the top 20% to stand a chance?

Thanks.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Poster above, no one is answering questions on this thread.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”