Stanford Students Taking Qs (2011-12 Edition)

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
hung jury

Re: Stanford Students Taking Qs (2011-12 Edition)

Postby hung jury » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Mostly agree with Franklin but I think it is pretty hard to find cheaper off campus options, at least if the comparison is to EV/Rains (or the new category of off campus subsidized) and you're staying within a 15-20 minute drive to campus. But perhaps I'm just terrible at apartment hunting.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:47 am

Do people study abroad often? I'm not sure if it would be that popular, since I don't think it gets much better than Northern California :D Also do many people have time to get over to the Stanford golf course?

BearState

Postby BearState » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:40 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:Do people study abroad often? I'm not sure if it would be that popular, since I don't think it gets much better than Northern California :D Also do many people have time to get over to the Stanford golf course?

I know a few classmates that hit the course pretty frequently. Might be a bear during first quarter, but you'd have time if you wanted.

Don't know about study abroad - I think its a pretty worthless thing to do during the summer. We do send lots of people to a rule-of-law building clinic in places like Afghanistan, Timor Leste, etc., and I think that's for class credit.

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:18 pm

how easy is it to take classes at gsb and other grad schools? is there a bid/lottery system in place at any of the schools?

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:23 pm

vzapana wrote:how easy is it to take classes at gsb and other grad schools? is there a bid/lottery system in place at any of the schools?

After 1L, it's fairly easy and acceptable. Certain classes are not open to people outside of the particular school though. Lottery/bid depends on the class. For example, Condi Rice's class evidently receives hundreds of bids.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Super dumb question, but how easy is it to get Munger as a 1L? I'd also prefer not to live in a studio...

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:00 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Super dumb question, but how easy is it to get Munger as a 1L? I'd also prefer not to live in a studio...

Obviously not a Stanford student (yet!) but I was talking to a current 1L who said most 1Ls in Munger are in the four person set ups, some of which were people who chose to room together from ASW or whatever but a good bulk were random assignments. Current students correct me if I'm wrong! He also said most everyone who wanted munger got it.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:06 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Super dumb question, but how easy is it to get Munger as a 1L? I'd also prefer not to live in a studio...

There's always a few who don't get it, just as a matter of numbers, but the vast majority of 1ls live in Munger. My sense of those who didn't get Munger (and wanted it) is that they overwhelmingly either wanted couples' housing or were admitted after the initial housing applications were put in. If you apply by the initial deadline you will very likely get it.

Edit:
BernalDiaz, That is correct.
--ImageRemoved--

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:43 pm

Any current SLSers out there who didn't receive grant aid?

yarsten

Postby yarsten » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:27 pm

Hey guys, thanks for all the great posts!

An unfortunate event in my wife's family has led to me being in San Jose this weekend. I have applied but have not been admitted (I still have hope, though!). I want to visit Stanford tomorrow and was wondering if there's anything specifically I should see or do. Do I just pop into the law school and see what classes are going on? Should I talk to any admissions personnel to let them know I'm visiting? Kind of lost here, just wondering if anyone else visited before being admitted. Any help would be appreciated!

Oh, and if you could reply before tomorrow morning, that would be optimal! Thanks!

cayres2008

Postby cayres2008 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:49 am

yarsten wrote:Hey guys, thanks for all the great posts!

An unfortunate event in my wife's family has led to me being in San Jose this weekend. I have applied but have not been admitted (I still have hope, though!). I want to visit Stanford tomorrow and was wondering if there's anything specifically I should see or do. Do I just pop into the law school and see what classes are going on? Should I talk to any admissions personnel to let them know I'm visiting? Kind of lost here, just wondering if anyone else visited before being admitted. Any help would be appreciated!

Oh, and if you could reply before tomorrow morning, that would be optimal! Thanks!

I'm guessing it probably wouldn't hurt to let admissions know you're dropping by. It's usually pretty easy to just swing by the office.
As far as classes go, 1Ls have Property 8:30-9:40 (though I know at least one section is cancelled tomorrow) and Constitutional Law 9:50-11:00. Professor Martinez's ConLaw class is having moot court on the Windsor case tomorrow if that interests you (Room 280A).
Also, tomorrow is the last day of classes for this quarter and finals start Friday, so be forewarned that people are already in finals mode, more serious/studious than at other times - don't be misled, it's not always like this.

Hope this helps.

yarsten

Postby yarsten » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:10 am

cayres2008 wrote:
I'm guessing it probably wouldn't hurt to let admissions know you're dropping by. It's usually pretty easy to just swing by the office.
As far as classes go, 1Ls have Property 8:30-9:40 (though I know at least one section is cancelled tomorrow) and Constitutional Law 9:50-11:00. Professor Martinez's ConLaw class is having moot court on the Windsor case tomorrow if that interests you (Room 280A).
Also, tomorrow is the last day of classes for this quarter and finals start Friday, so be forewarned that people are already in finals mode, more serious/studious than at other times - don't be misled, it's not always like this.

Hope this helps.

Awesome, thanks!

LaMuSayonga

Postby LaMuSayonga » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:17 pm

Has anyone had experience with an independent study course? How easy is it to set one up and find an instructor who would be willing to help out? I'm very interested in Federal Indian Law, but SLS doesn't have any courses (which is understandable since it's a small school with very few Native students). I was hoping that an independent study would at least give me some exposure to the subject.

chup

Postby chup » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:32 am

LaMuSayonga wrote:Has anyone had experience with an independent study course? How easy is it to set one up and find an instructor who would be willing to help out? I'm very interested in Federal Indian Law, but SLS doesn't have any courses (which is understandable since it's a small school with very few Native students). I was hoping that an independent study would at least give me some exposure to the subject.

I know a few people who have done them and got a lot out of them. People on LR who want to write a note often use it to get that process started. Usually it's a professor they've had before and liked/learned a lot from, and who works on stuff at least somewhat related to the subject.

LaMuSayonga

Postby LaMuSayonga » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:28 pm

chup wrote:
LaMuSayonga wrote:Has anyone had experience with an independent study course? How easy is it to set one up and find an instructor who would be willing to help out? I'm very interested in Federal Indian Law, but SLS doesn't have any courses (which is understandable since it's a small school with very few Native students). I was hoping that an independent study would at least give me some exposure to the subject.

I know a few people who have done them and got a lot out of them. People on LR who want to write a note often use it to get that process started. Usually it's a professor they've had before and liked/learned a lot from, and who works on stuff at least somewhat related to the subject.

Thanks!

khaleesi

Postby khaleesi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:48 am

Is it just me or is 1L summer really short? I was looking over the academic calendar and it seems like exams end mid-June and OCI begins mid-August. Is that enough time for an internship/SA in a different state where you have to move and get settled in?

BearState

Postby BearState » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:06 pm

khaleesi wrote:Is it just me or is 1L summer really short? I was looking over the academic calendar and it seems like exams end mid-June and OCI begins mid-August. Is that enough time for an internship/SA in a different state where you have to move and get settled in?

A large percentage of the class leaves CA every year for summer, so its doable and normal (I'll report back after I do it in a quarter). I think the tough part is getting back in time for OCI, but I defer to 2Ls/1Ls for those logistics.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:23 pm

BearState wrote:
khaleesi wrote:Is it just me or is 1L summer really short? I was looking over the academic calendar and it seems like exams end mid-June and OCI begins mid-August. Is that enough time for an internship/SA in a different state where you have to move and get settled in?

A large percentage of the class leaves CA every year for summer, so its doable and normal (I'll report back after I do it in a quarter). I think the tough part is getting back in time for OCI, but I defer to 2Ls/1Ls for those logistics.

Do employers have an issue with this or are they pretty flexible about you leaving in only six weeks or whatever?

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:12 pm

Yukos wrote:
BearState wrote:

Do employers have an issue with this or are they pretty flexible about you leaving in only six weeks or whatever?

I don't think most people are planning 6 weeks. But, any employer of size will know the deal and not mind because you're from Stanford. Also, Chicago has an odd schedule, so people know the situation. Also, if they're paying you, they don't mind at all. Many people are taking a week after classes, and a week before OCI and making it 8 weeks. If you can wrap up OCI/Callbacks early, there is another break until classes start again near the end of sept.

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:40 pm

Hey guys, sorry to drop in on an admit thread, but I'm a Boaltie looking for a sublet in/near Palo Alto this summer. If anybody's looking to sublet (or has a friend looking to do so), please shoot me a PM. Thanks!

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:15 pm

Hey there, Stanfordites. I'm an applicant planning on not being admitted this cycle, although I'm still hopeful. I am, however, moving to Oakland in the summer regardless of admission to teach and to live in one of my favorite places in the world. I'm planning in advance to apply to sls again in the fall. Could you give a word or two on the topic of SLS's public relations? Will there be events, which the public can attend? Will profs give talks that I (the public) will be allowed to sit in on? I will be shooting for sls again in the fall, and I'd like to gather a more intimate sense of the place and also to make myself stand out for when they read next cycle's apps. Thanks for any info.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:39 pm

Stanford students,

I'm making a calculator to help calculate COA with tuition/COL increases but I need some data to help the project (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=208464). The data specifically needs to come from current students who can look at their budget for the past 1-3 years. I would like to know the average rent, utilities, food, cable/internet for the following schools. If you can help out, please fill out this form. Thanks!

Link to Form (LinkRemoved)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”