Stanford Students Taking Qs (2011-12 Edition)

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
simpletimes

Re: Stanford Students Taking Qs (2011-12 Edition)

Postby simpletimes » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:07 am

just a couple quick responses...

in munger you will be closer to the law student community more frequently. people who live in EV can be over in munger and involved in things as much as they like, but generally (as far as i can tell) the people who live in EV want to put a little distance b/t themselves and the more 'college-ish' lifestyle of munger. it probably makes little practical difference unless (a) you really like to be able to be away from people or (b) you would have a hard time getting yourself to walk/bike 5-10 minutes to hang out on a whim.

I have no idea what the difference b/t EV and Escondido South is. There are campus maps that may be of more help, and as far as I know, there's only one part of campus that is ever referred to as "Escondido." It's probably just which end of the general area you'd be living at.

slsorhls

Postby slsorhls » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:12 pm

Can anyone comment on the theoretical/practical divide in classes at SLS? I'm much more interested/excited by the theoretical and hope that in SLS classes there will be an opportunity to engage on bigger picture issues and not just talk about how best lawyer A could argue against lawyer B.

Also, I noticed that classrooms at Stanford don't have microphones attached to the desks. I actually had trouble hearing a number of students during a class. Have you noticed this before, or has this ever been an issue? I know it seems like a stupid thing to worry about, but I was wondering.

Stig

Postby Stig » Wed May 02, 2012 1:16 pm

elysian wrote:hi! a few quick questions about housing: is escondido south part of escondido village? on the housing application, escondido south is listed separately, so i'm a bit confused. if it is an entirely different residence, is there a significant number of law students who live there (similar to EV)? i'm definitely hoping to end up in munger, but just wondering how i should rank the rest.

thanks so much for doing this, guys!

Escondido South is just south of Escondido village. It is right next to it (south of bowdoin road), so location-wise there isn't much of a difference. I can't speak to the accommodations though! I don't know anyone who lives there specifically, but the Escondido area in general is pretty big, so I don't think there would be much of a difference in terms of how close you are to other law students in there.

Also, I recall just ranking all the munger options, and no EV options (aka 4, 2 bedrooms, studios, full and academic year). For the full-year leases you can opt-out of them in May, so you really aren't making a commitment to live there in the summer!

Stig

Postby Stig » Wed May 02, 2012 1:24 pm

Can anyone comment on the theoretical/practical divide in classes at SLS?

It's pretty difficult to because (besides transfers) none of us have been to a different school. I think it varies between professors. Some are pretty theoretical (I think one of the contracts professors was extremely theoretical last fall), and some are more practical. You can have both here, it just depends what you want to take.

Also, I noticed that classrooms at Stanford don't have microphones attached to the desks. Have you noticed this before, or has this ever been an issue?

I've never had an issue hearing anyone. I haven't had a class bigger than 60, and those are in smaller rooms than the biggest one used for ASW, so that might make it easier. That said, microphones seem a little too intense, I don't think they would fit in here.

z3201

Postby z3201 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:06 pm

Any new questions now that people have decided (and hopefully some have decided SLS :) )?

BeHelpful

Postby BeHelpful » Tue May 22, 2012 1:03 am

Thanks to all the Stanford students for taking the time to answer all the questions in detail (especially shout out to Stig!).

I will be a 2nd year at one of the Big 4 accounting firms this year, but thinking to make a move into law in 2014. I'm especially interested in Trusts & Estates and noticed that there is only one class (I think) offered at Stanford regarding that subject. Is Trusts & Estates normally a minor topic in law across a majority of the law schools? Stig, you mentioned that you wish you knew more about what you wanted with your law degree. Would I have any advantage (in terms of networking around Stanford, taking classes, etc) at the beginning of law school knowing what I want to do with my law degree?

2nd question is more regarding visiting Stanford. I have visited a few times before and I absolutely love the campus. I know that there is admit day, but who should I contact to look around Stanford for the law program (visiting dorm rooms, class rooms, perhaps sitting in a class?) I have a lot of vacation time, so I have a lot of flexibility in terms of when I could go.

Thanks Stanford students! Good luck to you all!

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Thu May 24, 2012 8:35 am

I asked this in the Cal thread because I am going there, but got no response. Anyone who worked the 3L year part-time at a firm? How intense are the classes and reading the 3L year in law school? The reason I am asking about how intense 3L classes are is to ask whether I can work part-time, say in patent prosecution in SV, and make some $$$ to reduce my loans and financial hit. And how much could I hope to make? I'm just calculating my overall financial hit to decide, "law school or not?".

Facebook

Postby Facebook » Thu May 24, 2012 9:55 am

Thanks for all the students answering questions here!

I've got a question regarding applying for financial aid. besides signed copies of my and my parents' tax returns, what other documents (previous bank statements, property ownership papers, etc.)  will I need to submit with my financial aid application? Alll of these documents are in my old house and I don't go back very often, so it would be convenient to get them all back in one go. Thanks!

BearState

Postby BearState » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:00 pm

Does anyone know when/how many transcripts we have to send before we begin in the fall? Or where I can find that info?

MichelFoucault

Postby MichelFoucault » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:51 pm

Hey any input from an alumn would be super appreciated. I just got my housing assignment, and was given a studio. Should I try and be in a 4 unit for my first year to get and know people?

Let me know if you think if I should get on a waiting list to switch to a 2 or 3 bedroom.

bromance

Postby bromance » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:20 pm

Question for current students or 0L's...on my axess it still lists "CSS profile" under to-do's as a "requirement for being considered for institutional scholarship funds." Considering I've already received my financial aid package/the law school specific financial aid instructions don't mention anything about completing a CSS profile, is it safe to assume I can ignore this??

hung jury

Postby hung jury » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:06 pm

Facebook wrote:Thanks for all the students answering questions here!

I've got a question regarding applying for financial aid. besides signed copies of my and my parents' tax returns, what other documents (previous bank statements, property ownership papers, etc.)  will I need to submit with my financial aid application? Alll of these documents are in my old house and I don't go back very often, so it would be convenient to get them all back in one go. Thanks!

I'd be prepared to submit any document they ask for. Why not just make copies?

hung jury

Postby hung jury » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:11 pm

MichelFoucault wrote:Hey any input from an alumn would be super appreciated. I just got my housing assignment, and was given a studio. Should I try and be in a 4 unit for my first year to get and know people?

Let me know if you think if I should get on a waiting list to switch to a 2 or 3 bedroom.

3 bedroom? Are you looking at EV?

It really is a personal preference so it is hard to say. I know a couple people in studios who seemed to think they'd have been more social in a 2 or 4, but the school is small and you'll get to know a very large portion of the class by the end of 1L anyways (especially if you're a social type).

p.s. The backlog in questions was the result of 1L final exams, I think.

croser

Postby croser » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:08 pm

Hi, I just have a little computer question. I am looking at buying the base model of the Mac Air (no cd/dvd drive, no firewire port, no sd card drive). Would the specs be sufficient for school? On the SLS website it recommends the 13" Air, which has a little bit better specs than the 11" base model. Just wondering if it really makes any difference. Thanks!

hung jury

Postby hung jury » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:40 pm

croser wrote:Hi, I just have a little computer question. I am looking at buying the base model of the Mac Air (no cd/dvd drive, no firewire port, no sd card drive). Would the specs be sufficient for school? On the SLS website it recommends the 13" Air, which has a little bit better specs than the 11" base model. Just wondering if it really makes any difference. Thanks!

Things I needed 1L year: basic word processing and a usb port. If it is your exam computer I'd probably prefer the 13" for typing speed but I can't think of anything that is resource intensive. We'll be using exam software starting this fall but I can't think of any reason why that would change things.

simpletimes

Postby simpletimes » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:25 am

MichelFoucault wrote:Hey any input from an alumn would be super appreciated. I just got my housing assignment, and was given a studio. Should I try and be in a 4 unit for my first year to get and know people?

Just as an FYI, there isn't a ton of extra housing this year - increased # of 2Ls wanting to stay on campus + very large freshman class in the undergrad (undergrads get priority, and Stanford Univ. guarnatees them housing all 4 years I think) means that there isn't as much flexibility as normal. A studio is perfectly fine, and you'll be plenty able to socialize if you're willing to leave your apartment. If it's in Munger, it will be even easier.

bromance wrote:Question for current students or 0L's...on my axess it still lists "CSS profile" under to-do's as a "requirement for being considered for institutional scholarship funds." Considering I've already received my financial aid package/the law school specific financial aid instructions don't mention anything about completing a CSS profile, is it safe to assume I can ignore this??

No clue what that is. I'd call the Fin Aid office and check.

croser wrote:Hi, I just have a little computer question. I am looking at buying the base model of the Mac Air (no cd/dvd drive, no firewire port, no sd card drive). Would the specs be sufficient for school? On the SLS website it recommends the 13" Air, which has a little bit better specs than the 11" base model. Just wondering if it really makes any difference. Thanks!

That'll be absolutely fine for what you need. Small screens kind of suck when you want to look at multiple things, though. But it's really up to you.

abacus

Postby abacus » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:53 am

simpletimes wrote:Just as an FYI, there isn't a ton of extra housing this year - increased # of 2Ls wanting to stay on campus + very large freshman class in the undergrad (undergrads get priority, and Stanford Univ. guarnatees them housing all 4 years I think) means that there isn't as much flexibility as normal. A studio is perfectly fine, and you'll be plenty able to socialize if you're willing to leave your apartment. If it's in Munger, it will be even easier.

Does this mean that people who are on the housing waitlist may not get on-campus placements? Also, if you get placed in EV but want Munger, can you make a switch if Munger rooms open up after the autumn quarter?

simpletimes

Postby simpletimes » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:56 pm

abacus wrote:Does this mean that people who are on the housing waitlist may not get on-campus placements? Also, if you get placed in EV but want Munger, can you make a switch if Munger rooms open up after the autumn quarter?

so what happened last year was Stanford rented a bunch of apartments in a complex right next to campus, and then offered those to students at discounted rates. They do that pretty frequently when housing isn't sufficient. The place is reasonably nice, but it's not particularly close to the law school and, at least last year, they only housed you there for a quarter until other space opened up.

As things stand, if you are willing to risk losing your EV house, it may be worth it to wait for Munger. Munger is reaaaallly convenient and very nice, but substantially more expensive than living in EV. If you are concerned about cost, I would stick with EV - which in its own right is fine housing...and some people like that they aren't always right near the law school.

in_reverie

Postby in_reverie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:33 pm

Question from an incoming transfer: I'm still a little foggy on the quarter system. When I register for my Autumn classes, how many hours/credits to students usually take per quarter? 7-8?

Also, do 2Ls and 3Ls stick around in Munger or is it mostly a 1L thing?

BearState

Postby BearState » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:59 am

Quick question, sorry if its silly: are there power outlets for most seats in classrooms? My laptop has a shortish battery span and I'm wondering if I need to invest in a new one.

Trustbuster

Postby Trustbuster » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:46 pm

BearState wrote:Quick question, sorry if its silly: are there power outlets for most seats in classrooms? My laptop has a shortish battery span and I'm wondering if I need to invest in a new one.

Indeed there are power outlets. Rest easy. Can't think of a room off the top of my head that didn't have someplace for me to charge it in. At least, not the larger rooms.

And in regards to in reverie, 2Ls and 3Ls do stick around Munger (I'll be one of them). There was a little "housing crisis" this year though for on-campus housing, so there may not be as many of us as in prevoius years. As to the hour system, you can take more than that. I think its designed so that you should take around 12 hours. Emphasis on think.

thisguy456

Postby thisguy456 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:25 pm

Does anyone know when we should start hearing about financial aid info regarding getting loans set up?

southwick

Postby southwick » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:34 pm

It's already on the Admitted Students site. Under the "Go to SLS" heading, click on "Apply for Loans." It has all the steps we need to take to get Perkins, Direct Unsubsidized, and Grad PLUS set up.

I only discovered it today. They haven't been great about announcing when we need to get that sort of stuff done. It looks like they need all the documentation by August 24th.

Also, if anyone can find the "comparison table" for Grad PLUS v. "Private Alternative" loans that's supposed to be up in July, I'd be grateful. Alternatively, if any current students want to chime in on whether most students get Grad PLUS or private loans, that'd be great.

hung jury

Postby hung jury » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:49 pm

I also think you need to shoot for around 12 hours. For instance, a clinic is graded at 12 credits. And if you divide the number of non-1L credits needed to graduate by the number of quarters you get a number around 12.

And isn't the minimum 9 hours a quarter?

All of the info should be in the student handbook on the SLS website.

simpletimes

Postby simpletimes » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:13 pm

in_reverie wrote:Question from an incoming transfer: I'm still a little foggy on the quarter system. When I register for my Autumn classes, how many hours/credits to students usually take per quarter? 7-8?

Also, do 2Ls and 3Ls stick around in Munger or is it mostly a 1L thing?

I *think* 14 is the max? Most people probably take around 12, but it depends how you want to spread out your courseload. Also, I have no idea how the fact that you are a transfer would affect things.

There will be a decent number of 2Ls and 3Ls in Munger, but its probably mostly 1Ls.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”