Law School Dogs

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
coldshoulder

Re: Law School Dogs

Postby coldshoulder » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:07 pm

Wait til 2L, you'll have enough on your plate without having to feed, train, work, and love a dog. Maybe buy a cat 1L?

wvu

Postby wvu » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:32 pm

I got a dog my second year of UG, I think maybe if you don't have one already it might be a bad idea to get one 1L, especially if it's not an older dog that doesn't have to pee every 2 hours or whatever.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:49 pm

dudders wrote:I have a black lab, and he's a bladder champion. Plus he's lazy as hell (I think he literally sleeps in one spot the entire day).

I know this is 2 months late, but I'm curious about this - I thought black labs needed a ton of exercise/room/etc?

wvu

Postby wvu » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:57 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
dudders wrote:I have a black lab, and he's a bladder champion. Plus he's lazy as hell (I think he literally sleeps in one spot the entire day).

I know this is 2 months late, but I'm curious about this - I thought black labs needed a ton of exercise/room/etc?

Depends. American labs are more hyper, I have a pure blood English lab and she's lazy as hell. Loves when she can get outside but if we can't go one day I can tell its not eating her soul or anything. :D

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:51 pm

wvuchip wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Depends. American labs are more hyper, I have a pure blood English lab and she's lazy as hell. Loves when she can get outside but if we can't go one day I can tell its not eating her soul or anything. :D

Get a pug. I've never met such a lazy dog. Like the black lab, my dog is a bladder champ (pees 2-3 times a day, you can't beat that) and sleeps most of the time. As long as you can handle snoring and a little furball that likes sitting in your lap at all times, which I can :-)

instantwonton

Postby instantwonton » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:07 pm

I have an English Bulldog!!! (As shown in my avatar) Best dog ever! I think he'll be perfect for law school! He's 9 months old now. People are definitely right in that they're expensive though...super expensive to buy and then multiple medical problems since we got him.

wvu

Postby wvu » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:14 pm

puremorning wrote:
wvuchip wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Get a pug. I've never met such a lazy dog. Like the black lab, my dog is a bladder champ (pees 2-3 times a day, you can't beat that) and sleeps most of the time. As long as you can handle snoring and a little furball that likes sitting in your lap at all times, which I can :-)

Those eyes though... :shock:

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:55 pm

puremorning wrote:
wvuchip wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
dudders wrote:I know this is 2 months late, but I'm curious about this - I thought black labs needed a ton of exercise/room/etc?

Those eyes though... :shock:

Haha, yes, they are...unique...she's practically a celebrity in my neighborhood though. Very memorable. And cute of course. The eyes grow on you pretty fast.

rahrah

Postby rahrah » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:34 pm

I've worked with tons of dogs so I thought I'd offer my two cents.
I cannot agree more with those that are telling you to adopt (an older aged dog). This has so many benefits but the most positive for you would be they've established themselves so you get a better idea for their activity level, temperment, feeding / bathroom needs, et cetera. Where I am from a lot of rescue groups use foster homes so the foster parent will be able to answer your questions regarding the dog. If you are seriously interested in a specific breed you might be able to find one for adoption. Depending where you live there are many rescue groups that cater to specific breeds you just have to look and have patience.
Someone mentioned Pitbulls. I LOVE Pits, but I warn you, you will have a harder time finding a place to rent. Due to insurance some places are forced to have breed restrictions (and pits are the first on the list). :(
If you do end up with a little dog you can try and train it to use the potty pads.
I've worked with dogs of all ages, breeds, sizes, health, etc... so if anyone has any questions I might be able to answer feel free to PM me

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”