Law School Dogs

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PrincetonLaw

Law School Dogs

Postby PrincetonLaw » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:18 pm

So I really want to get a dog and I've decided I essentially need to get one in the next 2 months. I dont want to have to train a puppy during law school but I also don't want to wait 3.5 years til I graduate to get a pup.

My question is, what breeds do yall recommend? I've been looking at English Springer Spaniels and Brittanys but they might be a little too hyper. I want a small-to medium sized breed that doesn't have ridiculous energy and exercise needs like a Weimaraner or German Shorthaired, but I don't want something small and annoying like a Westie or a Pomeranian.

And yes, I'm profoundly bored at work.

Killingly

Re: Law School Dogs

Postby Killingly » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:21 pm

PrincetonLaw wrote:So I really want to get a dog and I've decided I essentially need to get one in the next 2 months. I dont want to have to train a puppy during law school but I also don't want to wait 3.5 years til I graduate to get a pup.

My question is, what breeds do yall recommend? I've been looking at English Springer Spaniels and Brittanys but they might be a little too hyper. I want a small-to medium sized breed that doesn't have ridiculous energy and exercise needs like a Weimaraner or German Shorthaired, but I don't want something small and annoying like a Westie or a Pomeranian.

0L here, so I have no experience with dogs in law school, but a bulldog could be good for you.

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:40 pm

PrincetonLaw wrote:So I really want to get a dog and I've decided I essentially need to get one in the next 2 months. I dont want to have to train a puppy during law school but I also don't want to wait 3.5 years til I graduate to get a pup.

My family breeds Brittanys, and I can safely say -- don't get one. They're often hyper, and if you can't take them for runs, they can get really destructive (understandably so). I got a lab/border collie puppy, and tbh I probably shouldn't have because she has a bit too much energy and finals were miserable for her (me inside studying 24/7).

French bulldogs are a great option, and so are cocker spaniels. both would be good inside dogs that don't need too much exercise. but i would actually just research on petfinder.com and find a good mixed breed -- you're less likely to have huge vet bills for medical problems caused by inbreeding. plus, if you're bored at work, just click the "puppy" option and look through pages and pages of puppies.

PrincetonLaw

Postby PrincetonLaw » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:49 pm

itsirtou wrote:

My family breeds Brittanys, and I can safely say -- don't get one. They're often hyper, and if you can't take them for runs, they can get really destructive (understandably so). I got a lab/border collie puppy, and tbh I probably shouldn't have because she has a bit too much energy and finals were miserable for her (me inside studying 24/7).

French bulldogs are a great option, and so are cocker spaniels. both would be good inside dogs that don't need too much exercise. but i would actually just research on petfinder.com and find a good mixed breed -- you're less likely to have huge vet bills for medical problems caused by inbreeding. plus, if you're bored at work, just click the "puppy" option and look through pages and pages of puppies.

This is extremely disappointing... Thanks for the suggestions.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:55 pm

Consider adoption from the local shelter.

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:08 pm

Consider adopting an older dog. They will have less energy, be housebroken, and often know some basic commands, depending on the dog. With an older dog, you also already know it's temperament. With puppies, and can be tough to tell what their energy level, etc. will be when they grow up. (edit- I meant, older than a puppy. The older the dog, the lower the energy level.)

Also, Bulldogs often require a big commitment to vet bills; be prepared for that if you get one of those.
Last edited by DCDuck on Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PrincetonLaw

Postby PrincetonLaw » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:20 pm

DCDuck wrote:Consider adopting an older dog. They will have less energy, be housebroken, and often know some basic commands, depending on the dog. With an older dog, you also already know it's temperament. With puppies, and can be tough to tell what their energy level, etc. will be when they grow up.

Also, Bulldogs often require a big commitment to vet bills; be prepared for that if you get one of those.

that was also a concern of mine with that breed. as just plain stupid as it is getting a puppy, i still really want to.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:22 pm

Greyhounds are super friendly and incredibly lazy.

Also, my pit bull is extraordinarily sweet and prefer laying on the sofa to any sort of actual physical exertion.

dudders

Postby dudders » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:30 pm

My vote too is for an older shelter dog (not necessary "old" even, but just not a puppy), because they'll be more likely to be fully trained, and well out of the puppy hyper and chewing phase by the time school starts.

I recommend something with a big bladder that can be left 10-12 hours in a pinch. Law school creates some crazy days, and you don't want to be either dealing or worrying about your dog not being able to hold it. Don't choose a dog now relying on the fact that you'll have a yard or roommates, especially if you don't know where you're going to school or plan to live with other law students. I have a black lab, and he's a bladder champion. Plus he's lazy as hell (I think he literally sleeps in one spot the entire day).

Note - I heart dogs and I'm not advocating being a neglectful dog parent all the time, I'm just saying there will be times where you will have to because of school. You don't want a breed that absolutely needs twice daily walks or they'll freak out, eat your laptop and keep you up all night. Something mature and lazy. :)

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:31 pm

I'll second the bulldog recommendation. Go with a French though. Less health problems than English and they are smaller and IMO an all around better breed. Although I will own an English at some point, the French was a better call for law school.

I got a french 1 year before I started law school and he is the shit. As long as he gets his 20 min walk he is content to curl up next to me on the couch and crash out. Plus frenchies are hilarious. They just have really awesome personalities. They are the perfect small/medium dog. I was deathly opposed to a small dog, but frenchies are so different. He's small, but he is a tank.

Just make sure you get one from a reputable breeder. That is half the reason that you run into health problems. If you go with a good breeder you will pay more, but get the medical history of the parents and do your research and you'll be fine. Ours hasn't had any health problems (knock on wood) in a year and a half. The only thing that we do differently is we buy premium dog food for him. But nothing outside of regular vet checkups and him being an energetic puppy and tearing one of his claws almost off.

An even better option would be using frenchbulldogrescue.org

You could rescue a frenchie from there.

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:36 pm

I adopted a Dachshund/Chihuahua (chi-weenie) from a kill shelter in California about a year ago and he is the best puppy I have ever owned. Grew up with Dachshunds my whole life and they are great but can be stand-offish to strangers/loud. This dog is extremely affectionate even to strangers, almost never barks, and will play fetch all day but if just as happy sitting on his bed chewing a bone.

For sure look into adoption from shelters. It will be cheaper (mine was $75 and included his neuter /all vaccinations/ rabies shots for a year and lots of other little perks like free food/collar/ Petsmart gift card) and you can still find purebreds/ any age of dog. Also, as stated, the people at the shelter will be familiar with the dog’s temperament and be able to find the right dog for your needs.

(Also bored at work)

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:48 pm

STLMizzou wrote:I adopted a Dachshund/Chihuahua (chi-weenie) from a kill shelter in California about a year ago and he is the best puppy I have ever owned. Grew up with Dachshunds my whole life and they are great but can be stand-offish to strangers/loud. This dog is extremely affectionate even to strangers, almost never barks, and will play fetch all day but if just as happy sitting on his bed chewing a bone.

For sure look into adoption from shelters. It will be cheaper (mine was $75 and included his neuter /all vaccinations/ rabies shots for a year and lots of other little perks like free food/collar/ Petsmart gift card) and you can still find purebreds/ any age of dog. Also, as stated, the people at the shelter will be familiar with the dog’s temperament and be able to find the right dog for your needs.

(Also bored at work)

My friend has one of these! They call him a chu-weenie, though. He is the best dog ever, very sweet and calm and was easy to train.

tmon

Postby tmon » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:56 pm

I wouldn't buy a standard American bulldog because of vet bills and concern for their health. I've honestly wanted one for a some time, but after reading a lengthy NYT article about their health problems it almost seems cruel. Here's the article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/magaz ... wanted=all

Some of the other variations might be better, and in the article they specifically mention a new attempt at "fixing" the breed called the Olde English Bulldogge that you can find info on here:
http://www.oldeenglishbulldoggekennelclub.com/

They have great personalities, but the number of health issues due to selective breeding is really sad.

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Killingly wrote:
STLMizzou wrote:I adopted a Dachshund/Chihuahua (chi-weenie) from a kill shelter in California about a year ago and he is the best puppy I have ever owned. Grew up with Dachshunds my whole life and they are great but can be stand-offish to strangers/loud. This dog is extremely affectionate even to strangers, almost never barks, and will play fetch all day but if just as happy sitting on his bed chewing a bone.

(Also bored at work)

My friend has one of these! They call him a chu-weenie, though. He is the best dog ever, very sweet and calm and was easy to train.

I have another friend who has one as well and she loves the dog. Seems to have the same temperament as mine, and both are extremely intelligent (mine only took 3 days to learn to go fetch the morning paper, and can learn just about any other trick like roll over or sit in a day).

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:18 pm

Even better, since it was the neighbor's paper ! :D

PrincetonLaw

Postby PrincetonLaw » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:21 pm

STLMizzou wrote:
Killingly wrote:

(Also bored at work)

I have another friend who has one as well and she loves the dog. Seems to have the same temperament as mine, and both are extremely intelligent (mine only took 3 days to learn to go fetch the morning paper, and can learn just about any other trick like roll over or sit in a day).

What do these look like? Can you post a picture?

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:11 pm

Google image search "chiweenie". They all look a little different because it is a mix breed, and you never really know exactly how they will look until they are full grown around 1.5 years.

This is mine. His right ear goes up/down depends on his mood. Both ears will go up if he is super excited.

Edit: sorry for the quality/size. At work so I had to upload straight from my phone
Last edited by STLMizzou on Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:12 pm

My friend's is a long-hair, but looks essentially the same. Very cute. I think they tend to look more like a weenie.

Postby 071816 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:23 pm

That's a cute fuckin dog.

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:11 pm

chimp wrote:That's a cute fuckin dog.

Thanks. I got him summer before senior year of UG. I had a job, was taking 18 hours, and was director of the biggest philanthropy on campus that year both semesters. It helped that I had 2 roommates, and one of them had a dog as well, but raising a dog while super busy can be done.

Just keep in mind it is a lot more of a time commitment than you think. I don’t regret getting mine in the least, but it definitely took more of my time than I thought it would and I grew up with dogs my whole life. If this is your first dog on your own, take however much time you think it will take to raise it and times it by 2 or 3. All the little things like letting it out/in, walking it, giving it attention, feeding/watering it, the transportation to and from home to take care of it when normally you could just stay on campus. It adds up.

Also have a back-up plan. At our age you never know where your life will take you, have somebody who can care for the dog for weeks/months if you need it for some reason (internship/ vacations/ business trips/ new job/school).

PrincetonLaw

Postby PrincetonLaw » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:33 pm

I'm pleased with how this thread turned out. Still not sure if i'll get a dog, or what breed but I'm definitely giving adoption more thought.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:37 pm

A breed that is laid back. Preferably an older dog. I love having my dog here but I wouldn't do that to her if she was younger...

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:21 pm

On the puppy front, I should add -- I got Ginny when she was 3 months old, and I got her in July. I was a research assistant for a professor, so I was mostly working at home.

I'll say right now -- I honestly don't think there's any way I could have gotten her during the school year, unless I hired a petsitter/petwalker to come over every 2 hours. I pottytrained her within 5 days, but only because I was able to sit around and be hypervigilant and take her out every hour. My entire life revolved around her for a week. If I'd been in classes...I don't even know what would have happened, lol.

long story short, even though I love Ginny, next time around, I'll probably get a dog around a year old or more, I think. Even now it's a bit tough -- she still has the puppy energy to deal with. I think going with an adopted dog over a year is a good idea. The only thing to be careful of is that they'll have experiences you don't know about -- they might have been abused or used for fighting or etc, so they might have some really bad habits that will take a while to break.

ThatGuyWithTheFace

Postby ThatGuyWithTheFace » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:38 pm

Not that my opinion should matter to you, but I would really consider adopting an older dog. I have two, one is a maybe-australian shepard mix that was found in the middle of the road and another, a near pure-bred labrador I got from a shelter. They are both wonderful companions.

There are SO many great older dogs that people give up for non-behavioral reasons, this is especially true with the foreclosure crisis as people have to move to rentals and have trouble bringing their dogs along.

From a practical standpoint, a puppy is a puppy for up to 3 years, with all the annoying puppy things that go with it. Older dogs are less needy in terms of exercise and attention. They are not as destructive. They are better on the house-broken thing. A young puppy now will still be a < 1 year old by fall. Unless you have an SO or family that can take care of a dog that age while you're away 10-12 hours a day, it would not be fair to the dog.

Just my two-cents.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:51 pm

This thread is seriously lacking in pictures of everyone's dogs.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”