Southwestern Class of 2015

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jme8
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby jme8 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:11 am

Anyone else get in to Southwestern? Does anyone know if they send scholarship info in the acceptance package?

User avatar
stacia137
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:57 am

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby stacia137 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:05 am

I just got my acceptance packet..... No word of scholarship.... Was wondering the sesame thing. I'm above both 75ths

AAyala
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby AAyala » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:26 am

Hey,

I was wondering, when did you apply by in order to be accepted in Dec? I want to attend SW next year (2013) and I hope to gain some 'insider knowledge' :) Thank you.

jme8
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby jme8 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:46 am

I sent in my application Nov. 29. I was accepted 12/8.

AAyala
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby AAyala » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:04 am

Oh wow! That was pretty fast. If you don't me asking--what is your GPA/LSAT score? I will be taking the June LSAT and, as of right now, I have a 3.5 GPA; however, I do not know what my LSAC GPA is...

mkat27
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:11 pm

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby mkat27 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:39 pm

I applied late Oct, got in a few weeks after. When do we find out about scholarships?

sbuzz
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby sbuzz » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:44 pm

Also accepted w/o scholarship info. Pretty sure the scholarships available for entering students require in-person or phone interview that the school will initiate. Anyone get that phone call yet?

User avatar
Observant_Poster
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:31 am

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby Observant_Poster » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:42 pm

I have my interview tomorrow. I received an email a couple days after being accepted notifying me that I had to schedule an interview to be eligible for the Wildman/Schumacher Scholarships.

AAyala
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby AAyala » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:23 pm

How did it go, Observant_Poster?!

sbuzz
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby sbuzz » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:11 pm

Has anyone done the interview yet? If so what was it like? Really formal, really casual or in the middle? What kinds of things do they ask? Received the email about scheduling my interview and was wondering how much preparation I should do for it!

User avatar
Observant_Poster
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:31 am

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby Observant_Poster » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:09 pm

I posted this in another Southwestern thread, pertains to this thread as well.

Observant_Poster wrote:I was accepted and offered a full ride after I interviewed on campus. I have a 3.59 and 160. The school itself is pretty small. It is only two buildings in the middle of Los Angeles. One thing I found strange was how quiet the campus was, both inside and outside. It definitely isn't in the best area, nor is it in the worst. One major upside is that it is within a couple blocks of the Metro so transportation to and from any part of L.A. is reasonable. I interviewed on the first day that classes began for the Semester and nearly everyone was smiling, friendly, and dressed really casual. It seemed like a comfortable place, almost reminded me of a Community College atmosphere. (I don't mean to offend anyone by that, I attended Community College and enjoyed it immensely)

The interview itself went really well. It was more of a conversation and opportunity for them to sell me on the school. It seems as though they have a really supportive and friendly staff where the staff members actually know a good portion of the students by name and greet each other whenever they pass by.

I left the interview extremely satisfied with my experience and am giving it a lot of consideration.



The interview was pretty casual, I wore a suit (the consensus on this forum seems to be that you shouldn't) but I was offered a full ride, so it didn't hurt. I interviewed with Dean Robert Mena, he was really nice and did a great job of selling the school. He was wearing a dress shirt, so if I did it again, I would probably do the same.

He asked me some common interview questions... why Southwestern, what type of Law... basic stuff. I didn't really spend any time preparing, and just answered honestly. I specifically told him that I have a few fields I am interested in, but have no real idea of what kind of law I want to practice.

sbuzz
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby sbuzz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:24 pm

Observant_Poster wrote:I posted this in another Southwestern thread, pertains to this thread as well.

Observant_Poster wrote:I was accepted and offered a full ride after I interviewed on campus. I have a 3.59 and 160. The school itself is pretty small. It is only two buildings in the middle of Los Angeles. One thing I found strange was how quiet the campus was, both inside and outside. It definitely isn't in the best area, nor is it in the worst. One major upside is that it is within a couple blocks of the Metro so transportation to and from any part of L.A. is reasonable. I interviewed on the first day that classes began for the Semester and nearly everyone was smiling, friendly, and dressed really casual. It seemed like a comfortable place, almost reminded me of a Community College atmosphere. (I don't mean to offend anyone by that, I attended Community College and enjoyed it immensely)

The interview itself went really well. It was more of a conversation and opportunity for them to sell me on the school. It seems as though they have a really supportive and friendly staff where the staff members actually know a good portion of the students by name and greet each other whenever they pass by.

I left the interview extremely satisfied with my experience and am giving it a lot of consideration.



The interview was pretty casual, I wore a suit (the consensus on this forum seems to be that you shouldn't) but I was offered a full ride, so it didn't hurt. I interviewed with Dean Robert Mena, he was really nice and did a great job of selling the school. He was wearing a dress shirt, so if I did it again, I would probably do the same.

He asked me some common interview questions... why Southwestern, what type of Law... basic stuff. I didn't really spend any time preparing, and just answered honestly. I specifically told him that I have a few fields I am interested in, but have no real idea of what kind of law I want to practice.


Thanks for the response! I'm interviewing today over Skype since I live in New York. Did you discuss your personal statement at all? I read in an earlier thread that they ask you about it. How long after the interview did it take for them to offer you your scholarship? Full ride is AWESOME!! Congrats!

User avatar
Observant_Poster
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:31 am

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby Observant_Poster » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:36 pm

They had highlighted a few things in my personal statement that resonated well with them and just asked for me to talk about it in a little more in detail. Like I said before, it really was more of a discussion than an interview. I didn't feel any pressure going into it or during it. I had the mentality that 'this is their opportunity to convince me to go to their school', not 'this is my one chance to sell myself and hope they offer me a full ride'. I found out at the end that they would be putting in a request that I receive a full ride and approximately a week later I received an email followed by some snail mail.

Hope your interview went well!

User avatar
splitbrain
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby splitbrain » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Complete in November...still waiting...

sbuzz
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby sbuzz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:56 pm

Observant_Poster wrote:They had highlighted a few things in my personal statement that resonated well with them and just asked for me to talk about it in a little more in detail. Like I said before, it really was more of a discussion than an interview. I didn't feel any pressure going into it or during it. I had the mentality that 'this is their opportunity to convince me to go to their school', not 'this is my one chance to sell myself and hope they offer me a full ride'. I found out at the end that they would be putting in a request that I receive a full ride and approximately a week later I received an email followed by some snail mail.

Hope your interview went well!


You were right on in your description of your interview. It was actually enjoyable I might add. Robert Mena was very helpful and I've actually continued to speak with him a few times. He put in a request that I receive half ride and indicated they pretty much always take his suggestions. Are you leaning toward going?

User avatar
Observant_Poster
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:31 am

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby Observant_Poster » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Ya, right now I am. I am still waiting on Hastings/Loyola but I doubt I will get any $$ at either school and don't think I can risk going 150k + in debt. Southwestern was my fall back school, but with how well Robert sold me on the school and how early I was accepted, I've had a lot of time to convince myself that its the best option to take.

I am a little concerned with the Job Prospect lawsuit and am a little worried about the stipend. I think I read/remember that you need a 2.7 or 2.8 to maintain the scholarship... do you know what percentage of the class finishes above that GPA?

$$$ is one of my biggest factors in choosing Southwestern and I would hate to somehow lose the scholarship and wind up paying $100k when I could put that money towards L&C or the above mentioned schools (if I get in).

User avatar
splitbrain
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby splitbrain » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:26 pm

From NALP:NDLS

MINIMUM GRADE REQUIRED TO ATTAIN (Based on May 2010 graduation class)
Top 10%: 3.576
Top 25%: 3.321
Top 33%: 3.209
Top 50%: 3.041
Top 75%: 2.797

Looks to me you will just have to avoid the bottom 25% to keep your scholarship.

User avatar
Observant_Poster
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:31 am

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby Observant_Poster » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:08 am

splitbrain wrote:From NALP:NDLS

MINIMUM GRADE REQUIRED TO ATTAIN (Based on May 2010 graduation class)
Top 10%: 3.576
Top 25%: 3.321
Top 33%: 3.209
Top 50%: 3.041
Top 75%: 2.797

Looks to me you will just have to avoid the bottom 25% to keep your scholarship.


If I cant do that I should probably rethink this whole law thing. Thanks for info and I haven't checked NALP before so thanks for that too!

sbuzz
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby sbuzz » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:21 pm

Observant_Poster wrote:
splitbrain wrote:From NALP:NDLS

MINIMUM GRADE REQUIRED TO ATTAIN (Based on May 2010 graduation class)
Top 10%: 3.576
Top 25%: 3.321
Top 33%: 3.209
Top 50%: 3.041
Top 75%: 2.797

Looks to me you will just have to avoid the bottom 25% to keep your scholarship.


If I cant do that I should probably rethink this whole law thing. Thanks for info and I haven't checked NALP before so thanks for that too!


I spoke pretty extensively with Robert on this topic so I'll chime in also--

A few things to consider when evaluating scholly offers:
1. is it renewable?
2. what are the stipulations to renew--GPA versus rank (if the odds are not in your favor, not wise to accept)
3. are scholarship students grouped in same section?
4. can you regain scholarship if you lose it?

Southwestern Scholly Details:
1. Renewable? Yes
2. Stipulations-- maintain minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7
--> the median is a 2.9
--> 2.33 is considered academic probation
--> 80% chance of keeping, only 20% chance of losing
--> more difficult to get below a 2.7 than to get above given the median of 2.9
3. Same section? Robert maintains that no, scholarship students are not stacked in one section
4. Regain if lost? Yes. If you are able to get your cumulative GPA up to 2.7 or higher during your second year, you will regain your original scholarship with original requirements (regardless of whether the merit scholarships' requirements change in later years)

Given all this information, Southwestern's merit scholarships seem to be very fair and I'd venture to say it's pretty reasonable to expect you would be able to keep your full scholarship. Hope this helps!

I'm waiting on Loyola as well and am also thinking that if admitted, I won't be offered enough to go (if anything). The consensus seems to be that while Loyola is significantly higher in US rankings, Southwestern makes up for a lot of this in local reputation/alumni etc.

User avatar
Observant_Poster
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:31 am

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby Observant_Poster » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:47 pm

I remember talking to Robert about most of the above info. I think he said 2 people last year had their scholarship removed. I wasn't certain on what percentage finished above the stipend though.

Im in the same boat. Even if admitted into Loyola, I dont think I can justify the near full tuition cost. Pretty much the only school I am willing to pay the full amount for is USC, which I wont get into. If I get some $ at hastings, it'll make the decision a bit more difficult. But, with how everything is going, I'll be at Southwestern in the Fall.

mkat27
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:11 pm

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby mkat27 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:08 pm

So I called today and asked if I'm getting any fin aid (my gpa and lsat is above the median), and they flat out said that I'm getting nada. Since other higher ranked schools have offered me $$, I am definitely going to say no thanks to SW.. I hope someone who really wants to go gets my spot!

SF1221
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby SF1221 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:06 pm

jme8 wrote:Anyone else get in to Southwestern? Does anyone know if they send scholarship info in the acceptance package?


I just got my acceptance packet last week. It said in the letter that any scholarship awards would be mailed out within two weeks (if you're awarded with one). So, to answer your question, scholarship decisions come after the acceptance packet. Hope that helps!

User avatar
3rdDan
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby 3rdDan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:53 am

sbuzz wrote:
Observant_Poster wrote:
splitbrain wrote:From NALP:NDLS

MINIMUM GRADE REQUIRED TO ATTAIN (Based on May 2010 graduation class)
Top 10%: 3.576
Top 25%: 3.321
Top 33%: 3.209
Top 50%: 3.041
Top 75%: 2.797

Looks to me you will just have to avoid the bottom 25% to keep your scholarship.


If I cant do that I should probably rethink this whole law thing. Thanks for info and I haven't checked NALP before so thanks for that too!


I spoke pretty extensively with Robert on this topic so I'll chime in also--

A few things to consider when evaluating scholly offers:
1. is it renewable?
2. what are the stipulations to renew--GPA versus rank (if the odds are not in your favor, not wise to accept)
3. are scholarship students grouped in same section?
4. can you regain scholarship if you lose it?

Southwestern Scholly Details:
1. Renewable? Yes
2. Stipulations-- maintain minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7
--> the median is a 2.9
--> 2.33 is considered academic probation
--> 80% chance of keeping, only 20% chance of losing
--> more difficult to get below a 2.7 than to get above given the median of 2.9
3. Same section? Robert maintains that no, scholarship students are not stacked in one section
4. Regain if lost? Yes. If you are able to get your cumulative GPA up to 2.7 or higher during your second year, you will regain your original scholarship with original requirements (regardless of whether the merit scholarships' requirements change in later years)

Given all this information, Southwestern's merit scholarships seem to be very fair and I'd venture to say it's pretty reasonable to expect you would be able to keep your full scholarship. Hope this helps!

I'm waiting on Loyola as well and am also thinking that if admitted, I won't be offered enough to go (if anything). The consensus seems to be that while Loyola is significantly higher in US rankings, Southwestern makes up for a lot of this in local reputation/alumni etc.


Sbuzz you summarized what I gathered from the interview the best anyone could. Robert is a great guy to talk to. He was very helpful, honest, and really sold me on the school. I was offered a half scholarship and the terms do sound fair. I am curious what the average GPA is for a 1L at SW.

sbuzz
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby sbuzz » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:59 pm

Anyone make their final decision to go to Southwestern yet??

guitar519
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:40 pm

Re: Southwestern Class of 2015

Postby guitar519 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:09 pm

Just got in after being waitlisted. Obviously no scholarship and this just makes me nervous to be in $200k debt in the future... eek.

Anyone know if there's scholarship opportunities AFTER 1st year? I mean, my only downfall was my GPA which I messed up in 1st and 2nd year... but 3rd and 4th year I was 3.5 and above. I wrote an addendum which I think helped my admission.

ANYWAYS, what I'm trying to say is that if I do well in 1L... is there any chance of scholarship money I wonder?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pinnipotto and 3 guests