USC 1L Taking Questions -- December 2011

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Stupendous_Man

Re: USC 1L Taking Questions -- December 2011

Postby Stupendous_Man » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:23 am

innernetp wrote:Thanks! Your posts last year helped me greatly in deciding on USC. Around when is traffic time? I could definitely do 20 door to door and mid-city sound pretty ideal, but would want to make sure I have gym time in the mornings.

Did you find your place in mid-city by word of mouth, craigslist, or some other agency? I'll be visiting the first week of April and am actually considering working with a realtor just because housing is really important to me.

Thanks again for the time.

Really happy to help! I'll kind of stay out of it since the 1Ls can probably better answer your questions at this point, but always feel free to PM.

I found mine on craigslist and by asking people on here for the areas to look in. I stayed closer to downtown as a 1L and wandered westward this year. May make it to the beach next year. As for traffic, Chimp covered it. Really anywhere I go I've just started doubling whatever time google maps tells me and I usually end up there a little early.

ethicallawyer

Postby ethicallawyer » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:26 pm

I am a bit confused about how USC's scholarships work so anyone who could tell me what I should do thatd be great. UCLA was straight forward--the Dean told me what I got when I applied. I'm interested in going to USC though so do they do the same for merit scholarships? Will they notify us or are we supposed to do some paperwork for that? What other sources of money are there? Thanks.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:14 am

i have three questions:

1. are you happy at usc?
2. how is the atmosphere within the student body?
3. i know a lot of you are 1Ls, but what have you heard of big law prospects?

Postby 071816 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:14 pm

ethicallawyer wrote:I am a bit confused about how USC's scholarships work so anyone who could tell me what I should do thatd be great. UCLA was straight forward--the Dean told me what I got when I applied. I'm interested in going to USC though so do they do the same for merit scholarships? Will they notify us or are we supposed to do some paperwork for that? What other sources of money are there? Thanks.

I don't know exactly, but for USC you have to fill stuff out in the financial aid section of the admitted student portal. They don't give out scholarships until later. You can always apply for outside scholarships as well. Hope this helps a bit.

Postby 071816 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:24 pm

Lasers wrote:1. are you happy at usc?

Overall, yes I definitely am.
Lasers wrote:2. how is the atmosphere within the student body?

It's fairly laid back. Lots of people go to bar review each week and everyone that I have talked to has been pretty friendly. Also, there aren't a whole lot of insufferable gunners (at least in my section). Obviously I have nothing to compare it to, but I would say that, overall, the atmosphere is fairly laid back and collegial.
Lasers wrote:3. i know a lot of you are 1Ls, but what have you heard of big law prospects?

Basically, it is generally known that around 30 to 40 percent of the class gets jobs at NLJ250 firms. Also, the Trojan network actually is a thing. The law school recently put on an alumni-mentor lunch in which 1Ls were seated at tables with alumni currently working in a practice area that they are interested in. It was a really good experience and rumor has it that some people got summer positions out of that. So, while I haven't been through OCI, those are the general impressions I have about jerbs. I'm sure stupendous man and others (who I believe are 2Ls) can better speak to your third question.

Also, feel free to PM me at any time.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:57 pm

chimp wrote:Basically, it is generally known that around 30 to 40 percent of the class gets jobs at NLJ250 firms. Also, the Trojan network actually is a thing. The law school recently put on an alumni-mentor lunch in which 1Ls were seated at tables with alumni currently working in a practice area that they are interested in. It was a really good experience and rumor has it that some people got summer positions out of that. So, while I haven't been through OCI, those are the general impressions I have about jerbs. I'm sure stupendous man and others (who I believe are 2Ls) can better speak to your third question.

thanks a lot.

seriously...that sounds pretty damn awesome. i go to hastings and am looking at several schools to transfer to; over 30% is an insane amount when compared to the ~15% figure here.

Postby 071816 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:06 pm

Lasers wrote:
chimp wrote:Basically, it is generally known that around 30 to 40 percent of the class gets jobs at NLJ250 firms. Also, the Trojan network actually is a thing. The law school recently put on an alumni-mentor lunch in which 1Ls were seated at tables with alumni currently working in a practice area that they are interested in. It was a really good experience and rumor has it that some people got summer positions out of that. So, while I haven't been through OCI, those are the general impressions I have about jerbs. I'm sure stupendous man and others (who I believe are 2Ls) can better speak to your third question.

thanks a lot.

seriously...that sounds pretty damn awesome. i go to hastings and am looking at several schools to transfer to; over 30% is an insane amount when compared to the ~15% figure here.

No problem. Also, you might find this interesting if you haven't seen it already. The data is from Class of '09 (the class that did OCI right after the market crashed).

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:12 pm

chimp wrote:
Lasers wrote:

thanks a lot.

No problem. Also, you might find this interesting if you haven't seen it already. The data is from Class of '09 (the class that did OCI right after the market crashed).

honestly, that is pretty effin' impressive. i know ucla and usc are peer schools, but usc clearly placed significantly better that year. i'm strongly leaning towards a transfer now, considering i have an equal preference between socal and norcal.

Postby 071816 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:17 pm

Lasers wrote:
chimp wrote:
Lasers wrote:

thanks a lot.

honestly, that is pretty effin' impressive. i know ucla and usc are peer schools, but usc clearly placed significantly better that year. i'm strongly leaning towards a transfer now, considering i have an equal preference between socal and norcal.

It was better than I expected. I think a lot of it has to do with UCLA's comparatively large class size, which is probably one of the reasons USC generally out places UCLA into big law jobs. I've heard that UCLA places better in norcal, though. No idea how true that actually is.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:23 pm

chimp wrote:It was better than I expected. I think a lot of it has to do with UCLA's comparatively large class size, which is probably one of the reasons USC generally out places UCLA into big law jobs. I've heard that UCLA places better in norcal, though. No idea how true that actually is.

i'll look into it. thanks for all the help though. usc is seriously looking like a real target now, along with ucla and maybe berk.

nc871782

Postby nc871782 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:36 pm

Do you know any of the students that got any of the summer fellowships that the admissions office offers? If so, do you know what type of numbers are needed to be offered one of these positions?

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:07 pm

nc871782 wrote:Do you know any of the students that got any of the summer fellowships that the admissions office offers? If so, do you know what type of numbers are needed to be offered one of these positions?

To add to that, what's the process of receiving that like? Thanks!

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:19 pm

whodis wrote:I live about 6 miles northwest of campus in Miracle Mile. I was really not looking forward to moving to LA, but I have to say that I have been pleasantly surprised. Everything is within a mile of my apartment. The Farmers Market, The Grove, Trader Joes, NBC Studios, The La Brea Tar Pits, Los Angeles County Museum of the Arts, etc. I have a studio apartment for $950 a month. Driving in LA is HORRIBLE. I hate it, period. USC started offering semester metro passes for about $30 so I have been taking the bus to school which works pretty well. I also get rides from friends who live in the area. The bus takes about 45 minutes (with walking time). Driving takes about 25 minutes. There is law student housing about a 10 minute walk from campus. Younger students generally live there and I have generally heard good things. If you are from out of town, it is a great way to make friends right away. On the other hand, the area is pretty bad and the stress gets pretty crazy over there during finals. One thing to consider is that being closer to the school makes it much easier to stay in the library and study. I hated spending all day at the law school and then taking the bus home really late so I would generally go home after class and then I would have a hard time being productive.

How did you find a studio for $950 a month in Miracle Mile?! I've been on Craigslist and rent.com (it seems like westsiderentals doesn't offer anything too special) and I haven't found anything around that price except Koreatown studios.

Speaking of Miracle Mile - is that 25 minute number pretty reliable? Is traffic ever worse than that? I'm debating between Los Feliz/Silverlake and Miracle Mile at this point.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:53 pm

nc871782 wrote:Do you know any of the students that got any of the summer fellowships that the admissions office offers? If so, do you know what type of numbers are needed to be offered one of these positions?

I know someone who got it last year as well as someone who has one this year but I do not have any idea about their "numbers"/qualifications.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:55 pm

innernetp wrote:

I think it varies. I'm pretty sure most of those are not offered at the time of admission. I've heard Dean Reid will invite people to interview with her and then if accepted, they are assigned a firm and an organization/company (because it's a split summer). I'm not sure if one's preferences are taken into account...HTH

* Interview with her once they are already enrolled in school.

Arelikefoxes

Postby Arelikefoxes » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:12 am

innernetp wrote:

I actually got one of these last year, and know a number of people who have also got them both last year and this year. It's a really amazing program. While I don't want to share too much (as to avoid explicitly outing myself), here are a few comments:

(1) Other than the Skadden offer (which is part of the Rothman), the offers are not extended until after school starts. I was offered mine sometime in mid-September, and I think all the others that year were around that time. This year, a few were on a similar timeline, while I know at least one person who was offered in mid-November (they were actually from a second round of interviewing...I suppose the first people declined/transferred out). I imagine they do it this way to avoid giving the positions to people who then do not attend, but can still use it as an effective marketing tool.

(2) In general, the students who are awarded these positions are in the 75%+ of LSAT/GPA coming in, but the Adcomms also seem to value relevant work experience. I would bet that awarding the firm positions is going to be based more on LSAT/GPA stats than the public interest/university positions, as the Adcoms will have to do more "selling" to the firms/for profit businesses. They also tend to award the positions to those who make for a good story for the specific roles (eg. public interest experience for Public Council, entertainment experience for Disney, etc.) FWIW, I was 75%+ in LSAT/GPA, and had 3 years work experience that fit well with one of the in-house positions, and was placed with a firm/that in-house position for the summer. Feel free to PM me for more info.

(3) They do take your preferences into consideration, but as I mentioned, I think Dean Reid will place you where she thinks will be the best fit. My feeling in the interviews was that she had an idea of where she wanted to place me before I came in, but she did ask for my opinion as well.

(4) If you think you have a competitive shot at one of these (IE strong numbers and/or WE), there are a few things that I think may help your chances. I would reach out to Dean Reid, and try to get information about the program. Explain that you are very interested in the program, and it contributes to why you are so interested in USC. You can even send her an updated resume, if there is new information you have recently added. Obviously, use your discretion (don't pester), but the goal would be make her aware of who you are, and that you are interested in the program. This might help get you a shot at an interview, if only since she knows about your interest.

Good luck with your cycles/decisions all!

nc871782

Postby nc871782 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:54 pm

PMed you, thanks.

ocuviper

Postby ocuviper » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:50 am

Are most students attending USC happy that they chose it over other schools? The general attitude on TLS is that if you don't make BigLaw you're in a pretty poor situation. Are there many of those people, particularly current 2L and 3Ls, walking around campus facing low paying jobs or do they generally find a respectable private practice position in the area?

Wyld Stallyns

Postby Wyld Stallyns » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:31 pm

ocuviper wrote:Are most students attending USC happy that they chose it over other schools? The general attitude on TLS is that if you don't make BigLaw you're in a pretty poor situation. Are there many of those people, particularly current 2L and 3Ls, walking around campus facing low paying jobs or do they generally find a respectable private practice position in the area?

I don't know anything about the 2Ls, but most 3Ls I know have locked up employment in private practice or are going to clerk. Granted, I don't really talk about employment with other 3Ls because it's kind of a touchy subject if the person you ask doesn't have a job, so maybe all the people I don't know about are unemployed. I don't sense a general feeling of doom and gloom, though.

ethicallawyer

Postby ethicallawyer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:50 pm

Why USC vs. UCLA? I really want to go to USC but it just seem like the facts seem to say UCLA is better... any current students who picked USC over UCLA? What was your reasoning?

Wyld Stallyns

Postby Wyld Stallyns » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:58 pm

ethicallawyer wrote:Why USC vs. UCLA? I really want to go to USC but it just seem like the facts seem to say UCLA is better... any current students who picked USC over UCLA? What was your reasoning?

I got into both, but the decision came down to money. I was out of state, and USC gave me a bunch of money and UCLA gave me none. Even after getting residency, it was going to be cheaper for me to go to USC. For me, the difference between the schools wasn't so great that I was going to pass up the money. I also liked USC's building more, and it had a more collegial vibe when I visited.

All that said, if the money is equal, I would recommend going UCLA. But, given my actual circumstances, I made the right choice.

Postby 071816 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:56 pm

ethicallawyer wrote:Why USC vs. UCLA? I really want to go to USC but it just seem like the facts seem to say UCLA is better... any current students who picked USC over UCLA? What was your reasoning?

These seem to be some reasons people pick USC over UCLA at similar costs: smaller class size, more collegial atmosphere, similar (maybe slightly better) big law placement and bar passage rates. I feel like you should pick whichever is cheaper and if they are the same price do research and visit each before deciding. Also, if you know you want public interest, I would pick UCLA (all else being equal) because they have more summer grants available for students who go into public interest. Some reasons why people pick UCLA include better location, more geographic reach (outside of SoCal), and higher rank. Although by all accounts they are peer schools, these are just some things to consider. I'm probably leaving a few things out.

coldpixies

Postby coldpixies » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:11 pm

chimp wrote:

These seem to be some reasons people pick USC over UCLA at similar costs: smaller class size, more collegial atmosphere, similar (maybe slightly better) big law placement and bar passage rates. I feel like you should pick whichever is cheaper and if they are the same price do research and visit each before deciding. Also, if you know you want public interest, I would pick UCLA (all else being equal) because they have more summer grants available for students who go into public interest. Some reasons why people pick UCLA include better location, more geographic reach (outside of SoCal), and higher rank. Although by all accounts they are peer schools, these are just some things to consider. I'm probably leaving a few things out.

You basically captured it perfectly, Chimp. I'm in at USC, but waitlisted at UCLA, and am always always always asked by people what I'm going to do if I get off of UCLA's waitlist. In the beginning of the application process, I would have said I would have gone for UCLA because it was my first choice. But after closely examining the two, researching the pros/cons of both schools, I ended up heavily preferring USC. The pros that it has over UCLA, smaller class sizes, more professional vibe over an academic one at UCLA, better sense of community/school spirit (thus less cut throat competition), slightly better big law placement, better bar passage rate, and of course, the powerful Trojan network just all really appealed to me and I'm almost positive I'd turn down UCLA if I'm off the waitlist. The reasons that hold me back from being entirely sure is because of UCLA's better location, slightly cheaper cost, and the fact that I come from a family of UCLA alums. But yeah, in almost all respects, they're peer schools with different pros/cons. Just visit both and see which one fits you better.

ocuviper

Postby ocuviper » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Those at USC, is the attitude that current employment prospects are better or worse than last year? Comments on the general trend would be appreciated.

Does the USC/UCLA rivalry put one at a disadvantage if they are being interviewed by an associate from the "rival" school?

Danke!

Postby 071816 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:04 am

ocuviper wrote:Those at USC, is the attitude that current employment prospects are better or worse than last year?

Although the 2Ls on here are better qualified to answer this, the general feeling is that things have been continuing to improve since the 2008 recession. Current employment prospects are probably slightly better this year than last year.

ocuviper wrote:Does the USC/UCLA rivalry put one at a disadvantage if they are being interviewed by an associate from the "rival" school?

Regarding any potential disadvantage, I seriously doubt it. Employers who are graduates of either school know that USC and UCLA are both very good law schools and you likely won't be at any disadvantage whatsoever when being interviewed by a graduate of the other school.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”