When to take the patent bar?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chem

When to take the patent bar?

Postby chem » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:47 pm

Hey everyone, I've searched for topics answering this question but have only found definitive answers from threads in 2006, and a couple vague answers in 2009.

Should I take the patent bar the summer before law school, or wait until a firm will defray the cost? I have the money for the prep and the test set aside (about 2500), but I'm also saving up for a down payment on a new house, so I'm wondering what it would be best used for

paul34

Re: When to take the patent bar?

Postby paul34 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:00 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chem

Re: When to take the patent bar?

Postby chem » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:02 pm

paul34 wrote:The test is changing. Elements from the latest patent overhaul that just recently passed will slowly start trickling into the test. According to PLI (one of the well-known test prep companies), there's nothing on there from the new material right now, but a few questions will probably creep in starting early next year. By spring of next year, there should definitely be material on there, and by summer, you're likely looking at having to learn two entirely different sets of laws (in effect, the amount of material you'll need to know will double).

I would really recommend buying a course now, studying hardcore, and taking the test ASAP. I'm actually studying right now and shooting for an early Jan test date, although I haven't gotten my approval yet. I'm not far enough along in my prep to apply for that just yet.

Other than that, make sure to buy a quality course that is updated (the eBay stuff is all the old patent bar). The new patent bar has some new stuff on it, like KSR, Bilski, etc.

Other than the reasons above, the main reason I'm trying to do my patent bar before law school is so that, hopefully, it'll give me an edge during my 2L SA search, and hopefully even my 1L search. I don't know how much of an advantage it'll be, but even if it's a tiny edge, I'll still take it. I know that I'll be competing with people who have extensive engineering experience and potentially even PTO examiner experience, so I need every edge I can get.

I haven't completed my degree yet. Will that preclude me from taking the test?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”