How is MS computer engineering/ comp sci looked at for IP

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
J-e-L-L-o

How is MS computer engineering/ comp sci looked at for IP

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:57 am

Hello, this is my first question that I have posted on here and I really like this forum.

I am an undergrad non-trad student majoring in computer engineering. I have been thinking about attending law school after getting my masters. Yes I know, with my degree's and a few years experience in California, I should make 6 figures with a reg 9 to 5. But lately I have been thinking into the legal realm with all the crap going on in the economy and what not. I would like a legal background to pursue future endeavors.

On that note, I would be mostly interested in IP law as a prosecutor. I was wondering, which degree has the best prospects? I was planning on getting a background in hardware and software, so after a BS in computer engineering, get a MS in computer science.

Basically what do firms look for? Ideally I want to work for 2 years and then apply to law school.

Thanx for the input.

soitgoes9

Re: How is MS computer engineering/ comp sci looked at for IP

Postby soitgoes9 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:39 am

I don't know that much about IP, BUT the law is not the place for a safe career right now even in IP. You have real skills that people will pay good money for, work and if you really really felt drawn to the law then go for it. Your work exp. will be important for getting an IP job.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:09 pm

Yes I know. I am drawn towards public policy lately though as I don't like the way events are being handled in this country and would like to get into politics later in life.

MachineLemon

Postby MachineLemon » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:31 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:Ideally I want to work for 2 years and then apply to law school.

Definitely work for a few years. During that time study for LSAT and get an amazing score. Then come back and see what people think.

Right now people are rightly trying to dissuade you from getting mentally set on law without figuring out your opportunity cost or law career potential. Once you have work experience and a sense of which schools you could get into, you'll be in a better position to ask for and evaluate advice.

Also, realize that you can make a political difference without becoming a politician or getting a law degree.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:37 pm

I do have work experience. I chose to separate from the military after 8 years to pursue my interests. But I understand what you mean.

Thank you for the advice, and I will follow up in a few years lol.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”