UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
lisavj
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby lisavj » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:01 am

On LWR...I got a B+. I am interning with a CoA judge. Writing sample matters more than the grade itself (IMHO). I also had a steep learning curve in LWR, just found it more difficult than doctrinal classes. Once you learn it it really sticks with you in a good way. This semester I have really enjoyed writing the Brief.

On competition: I have made friends pretty easily, all of whom have been willing to help me with notes from class when/if I miss, homework/studying/etc - and I live 45 min off campus. I feel like people are genuinely nice and willing to work together. During the library research project we ended up helping each other track down materials rather than hiding them from each other.

And yea, we compete. Bring it. That's how you improve. Then you go for a drink and figure out how to kick each others butts better next time.

sienna.ann
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby sienna.ann » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:36 pm

Thanks for the input! I definitely think I'll be attending Hastings next fall :)

User avatar
kapital98
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby kapital98 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:50 pm

It's almost impossible not to make friends.

Hastings is very competitive academically but there is no malice behind the competition. You're expected to do the homework, learn the material, and come into exams ready to go. I've never seen anyone go out of their way to hurt other people academically.

@ Lasers: Yeah, I'm an idiot for doing that. Never tell your professors you want anything less than an "A." Ever. If I had to I would tell my Moot Court professor I want a "P" with Distinction/Honors rather than say, "I just want to pass."

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby Lasers » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:30 pm

kapital98 wrote:It's almost impossible not to make friends.

Hastings is very competitive academically but there is no malice behind the competition. You're expected to do the homework, learn the material, and come into exams ready to go. I've never seen anyone go out of their way to hurt other people academically.

@ Lasers: Yeah, I'm an idiot for doing that. Never tell your professors you want anything less than an "A." Ever. If I had to I would tell my Moot Court professor I want a "P" with Distinction/Honors rather than say, "I just want to pass."

i actually told my moot court TA i only want to pass, but he's a cool dude. my moot court teacher probably thinks i'm gunning for best brief, or whatever, like everyone else is. i really couldn't care less.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11769
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby ilovesf » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:55 pm

Lasers wrote:
kapital98 wrote:It's almost impossible not to make friends.

Hastings is very competitive academically but there is no malice behind the competition. You're expected to do the homework, learn the material, and come into exams ready to go. I've never seen anyone go out of their way to hurt other people academically.

@ Lasers: Yeah, I'm an idiot for doing that. Never tell your professors you want anything less than an "A." Ever. If I had to I would tell my Moot Court professor I want a "P" with Distinction/Honors rather than say, "I just want to pass."

i actually told my moot court TA i only want to pass, but he's a cool dude. my moot court teacher probably thinks i'm gunning for best brief, or whatever, like everyone else is. i really couldn't care less.

i told my moot court prof i didn't reread my first argument draft. his response was "yeah, it was really obvious" oops. i'm definitely not getting best brief anyways, as there are two 2Ls in my section. one of them is probably going to get it.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby Lasers » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:12 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Lasers wrote:
kapital98 wrote:It's almost impossible not to make friends.

Hastings is very competitive academically but there is no malice behind the competition. You're expected to do the homework, learn the material, and come into exams ready to go. I've never seen anyone go out of their way to hurt other people academically.

@ Lasers: Yeah, I'm an idiot for doing that. Never tell your professors you want anything less than an "A." Ever. If I had to I would tell my Moot Court professor I want a "P" with Distinction/Honors rather than say, "I just want to pass."

i actually told my moot court TA i only want to pass, but he's a cool dude. my moot court teacher probably thinks i'm gunning for best brief, or whatever, like everyone else is. i really couldn't care less.

i told my moot court prof i didn't reread my first argument draft. his response was "yeah, it was really obvious" oops. i'm definitely not getting best brief anyways, as there are two 2Ls in my section. one of them is probably going to get it.

haha, two 2L's? weird...

my teacher loved my first draft though, so i might as well put a little effort at this point since i might have a shot at best brief.

sienna.ann
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby sienna.ann » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:13 pm

Does anyone know anything about the joint JD/LLM study abroad program?

mbkc03
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:11 am

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby mbkc03 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:10 am

I just turned in my FAFSA and supplemental form..does hastings provide you with loan packages from that info or am i on my own with applying for student loans?

User avatar
kapital98
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby kapital98 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:09 am

mbkc03 wrote:I just turned in my FAFSA and supplemental form..does hastings provide you with loan packages from that info or am i on my own with applying for student loans?


Hastings will do everything for you. They'll make sure loans cover all remaining tuition + living expenses (~$20K per year on top of tuition.) 20K goes pretty far. If you save money that can even cover your summer expenses.

However, if you need more money you can always apply for private loans. That's on you (and are also not eligible for loan forgiveness programs if you take that route.) It's hard to imagine a 1L needing more money unless you have really expensive tastes.

User avatar
DildaMan
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby DildaMan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:15 pm

kapital98 wrote:
mbkc03 wrote:I just turned in my FAFSA and supplemental form..does hastings provide you with loan packages from that info or am i on my own with applying for student loans?


Hastings will do everything for you. They'll make sure loans cover all remaining tuition + living expenses (~$20K per year on top of tuition.) 20K goes pretty far. If you save money that can even cover your summer expenses.

However, if you need more money you can always apply for private loans. That's on you (and are also not eligible for loan forgiveness programs if you take that route.) It's hard to imagine a 1L needing more money unless you have really expensive tastes.


Yup, the Hastings loans are pretty generous but the grants are not. Any expensive tastes I had prior to law school were replaced by an insatiatable urge to purchase more supplements.

User avatar
lisavj
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby lisavj » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:27 pm

DildaMan wrote:
Yup, the Hastings loans are pretty generous but the grants are not. Any expensive tastes I had prior to law school were replaced by an insatiatable urge to purchase more supplements.


a) I laughed out loud at the supplements bit. It's tru though.

b) Don't give up on grants if you don't get 'em at first. They redistribute the money from people who declined Hastings sometime in April/May (I got a surprise $10K, fantastically awesome).

User avatar
kapital98
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby kapital98 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:39 pm

lisavj wrote:
DildaMan wrote:
Yup, the Hastings loans are pretty generous but the grants are not. Any expensive tastes I had prior to law school were replaced by an insatiatable urge to purchase more supplements.


a) I laughed out loud at the supplements bit. It's tru though.

apollo2015
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:13 am

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby apollo2015 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:44 am

--LinkRemoved--

It looks like there are a ton of organizations to choose from. Do any have particularly good reputations on campus? Like, are they active? Have they been around for years? Any with bad reputations?

User avatar
kapital98
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby kapital98 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:37 pm

apollo2015 wrote:http://uchastings.edu/student-services/student-orgs/index.html

It looks like there are a ton of organizations to choose from. Do any have particularly good reputations on campus? Like, are they active? Have they been around for years? Any with bad reputations?


1L's generally don't join or participate in too many extracurricular organizations.

The most vocal organizations are generally public interest related (ex: GAAP and La Raza.) However, all organizations hold events, panels, and fundraising events. You should be able to find at least 1 or 2 groups that interest you.

GAAP in particular has been very successful -- it started as a school organization and is now an independent non-profit.

Maybe someone else can give you more information. The clubs and organizations hold an annual event where prospective members can go around tables and talk to representatives from every group.

User avatar
Lasers
Posts: 1576
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby Lasers » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:38 pm

i know a lot of people really involved with student orgs but i would recommend against it first year. it's a time sink that provides few discernible benefits. it's better to attend stuff at the start of semesters; later on, less students will show up to stuff and the orgs themselves typically do less because they know people are busy. the semester should be for studying, sleeping, eating, and drinking.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11769
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby ilovesf » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:57 pm

Yeah, I'm not involved with anything. I got way too busy with work and watching tv to really be involved. The only real benefit I see for 1Ls is making friends with 2Ls and 3Ls. I don't really know that many and I wish I did. Living in the tower also really helps with that though.

User avatar
kapital98
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby kapital98 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:59 pm

ilovesf wrote:Living in the tower also really helps with that though.


This.

I've randomly gone out clubbing with 2L and 3L's just because we live near each other. Before we were completely drunk we talked about summer internships, job fairs, etc... Non-alcoholic conversations are common too.

Proximity helps with networking.

User avatar
aliceydu
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby aliceydu » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:03 pm

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Living in the tower also really helps with that though.


This.

I've randomly gone out clubbing with 2L and 3L's just because we live near each other. Before we were completely drunk we talked about summer internships, job fairs, etc... Non-alcoholic conversations are common too.

Proximity helps with networking.


If I decide to go to Hastings, I want to live in the Tower the first year for sure. For UG at UCSD, we were able to sign up for housing BEFORE we make the deposit. I think I read that for the Tower, you have to pay deposit first? That means I have to wait until I make my final decision? Would that be really late by then? Is the Tower really popular?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11769
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby ilovesf » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:05 pm

aliceydu wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Living in the tower also really helps with that though.


This.

I've randomly gone out clubbing with 2L and 3L's just because we live near each other. Before we were completely drunk we talked about summer internships, job fairs, etc... Non-alcoholic conversations are common too.

Proximity helps with networking.


If I decide to go to Hastings, I want to live in the Tower the first year for sure. For UG at UCSD, we were able to sign up for housing BEFORE we make the deposit. I think I read that for the Tower, you have to pay deposit first? That means I have to wait until I make my final decision? Would that be really late by then? Is the Tower really popular?

I believe that everyone who got it wanted it this year. With a smaller incoming class, presumably there will also be less people signing up to live there. Also, some people who got in off the WL live there, so I guess April really isn't that late.

User avatar
kapital98
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby kapital98 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:23 pm

ilovesf wrote:
aliceydu wrote:If I decide to go to Hastings, I want to live in the Tower the first year for sure. For UG at UCSD, we were able to sign up for housing BEFORE we make the deposit. I think I read that for the Tower, you have to pay deposit first? That means I have to wait until I make my final decision? Would that be really late by then? Is the Tower really popular?

I believe that everyone who got it wanted it this year. With a smaller incoming class, presumably there will also be less people signing up to live there. Also, some people who got in off the WL live there, so I guess April really isn't that late.


Don't wait too long. I was taken off the waitlist for admission in May. After being admitted I signed up for the tower and was placed ~#40 on their waitlist. I was very lucky to be taken off the Tower's waitlist in June BUT I had absolutely no selection over where I lived.

Fortunately, I had a roommate lined up. Otherwise, I would have been stuck with a $1,350 monthly rent payment! :shock:

Tower applications are taken on a first-come, first-serve basis. The sooner you sign up for the Tower the more choices you will have. Pansy is already working through next years incoming class and assigning rooms. As soon as you're sure you want to attend Hastings immediately fill out the Tower application form.

User avatar
aliceydu
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby aliceydu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:32 am

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
aliceydu wrote:If I decide to go to Hastings, I want to live in the Tower the first year for sure. For UG at UCSD, we were able to sign up for housing BEFORE we make the deposit. I think I read that for the Tower, you have to pay deposit first? That means I have to wait until I make my final decision? Would that be really late by then? Is the Tower really popular?

I believe that everyone who got it wanted it this year. With a smaller incoming class, presumably there will also be less people signing up to live there. Also, some people who got in off the WL live there, so I guess April really isn't that late.


Don't wait too long. I was taken off the waitlist for admission in May. After being admitted I signed up for the tower and was placed ~#40 on their waitlist. I was very lucky to be taken off the Tower's waitlist in June BUT I had absolutely no selection over where I lived.

Fortunately, I had a roommate lined up. Otherwise, I would have been stuck with a $1,350 monthly rent payment! :shock:

Tower applications are taken on a first-come, first-serve basis. The sooner you sign up for the Tower the more choices you will have. Pansy is already working through next years incoming class and assigning rooms. As soon as you're sure you want to attend Hastings immediately fill out the Tower application form.


What's considered early/late then? I don't see myself making the final decision until at least after I go to Admit Day and see the school. :(

User avatar
aliceydu
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby aliceydu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:33 am

I just sent a negotiation email to the Financial Aid Office... hopefully I can get something. -_-

luli_lawl
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:21 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby luli_lawl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:19 pm

I am having trouble deciding about Hastings. They offered me 10k in scholly. I'm also in at Davis and WL at USC. I prefer to work in San Francisco after law school, but it's not a must. I'm just not sure if I should gun it for USC or just send my deposit for Hastings. Is USC really that much better?

What kinds of things should you do as a 1L at Hastings besides studying really hard lol? How do you line up a summer internship? How does law review selection work?

Sorry for so many questions, TIA !

luli_lawl
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:21 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby luli_lawl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:20 pm

OH and can i have a cat in the tower?? thanks!

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11769
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Postby ilovesf » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:35 pm

luli_lawl wrote:I am having trouble deciding about Hastings. They offered me 10k in scholly. I'm also in at Davis and WL at USC. I prefer to work in San Francisco after law school, but it's not a must. I'm just not sure if I should gun it for USC or just send my deposit for Hastings. Is USC really that much better?

What kinds of things should you do as a 1L at Hastings besides studying really hard lol? How do you line up a summer internship? How does law review selection work?

Sorry for so many questions, TIA !

USC has better employment prospects, and getting a job is everyone's first priority.. so in that sense, it is better. You can always wait for the deposit deadline at Hastings, and a couple days beforehand if you still aren't accepted at USC, deposit here. If you're accepted, then I'd compare the different cost of attendance and see if it's really worth it to go to Hastings over USC. Most people would probably say to definitely go to USC over Hastings because of better job prospects.

A lot of people join clubs and stuff during 1L. I started out thinking I'd to the same, but I pretty much stopped going to meetings, etc. I just felt like it wasn't really worth my time and I wasn't super interested. I've never really been much a club person. I'm volunteering with a legal organization doing immigration-related research. I know a lot of people do other pro bono things to get some experience and to put it on the resume. Your main concentration though should be studying and getting good grades.

For summer internships I sent out 10 application to state judges on December 1st, and then when grades came out, I sent out around 30-35 more applications to federal judges, public interest orgs, some miscellaneous government positions (like city attorney and some other things) and maybe like three firms. It is really up to you to do your own research and figure out what you want to do. I applied to a bunch of random things but I don't have a set career goal. I recommend making an appointment with the career center as soon as you get here to polish your resume and cover letters. Getting a summer internship doesn't seem to be too hard, as long as you send TONS of applications. Some of my friends only applied to like 5 places and haven't heard back. My friends who applied to 20+ places all have summer gigs lined up. Out of my ~45 apps I got 6 interview requests. So you really have to just send out applications to everything that seems interesting and try to use your personal connections to get a job. This is pretty much the same at every school though and your 1L job process will likely be the same at most schools.

I'm not totally clear on LR. We are having our student panel on LR tomorrow, so I can report back with more info after that. I know that the top 5 people from every section automatically grade on (they still have to write for their application, but they are accepted), and besides that I believe it is a combination of your GPA and your writing sample.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative, Londonbear and 7 guests