UC Hastings Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mbkc03

New

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Post by mbkc03 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:12 am

ilovesf wrote:
mbkc03 wrote:I'm set to start at UC Hastings in August and have very little knowledge about loans and financial aid. I'm planning to submit my FAFSA in as soon as I get my W2 forms but it's unlikely that I'll get any money from the grants that comes with that. Realistically, I'll be taking out GRADplus Loans/Private loans. I was wondering WHEN is a good is time to actually apply for loans so that it'll fall perfectly with the date tuition is due (which i believe is in July). Also, do most 1L's take out a whole yr's worth of tuition all out at once, or do they take out loans for each semester when tuition is due (roughly 20k per semester). Any input would be much appreciated.

Also, I was wondering on whether or not it's a good idea to drive to school. Otherwise, I'm going to be stuck with parking on Taraval and taking the "L" everyday.
I can't answer your question about financial aid, but I can speak to the parking situation. Hastings has a garage that costs $8 per day for Hastings students and is one block away from the school. I really don't recommend driving unless cost isn't an issue for you, as it is twice as expensive as taking muni. Street parking is all metered nearby, or if you don't mind walking, you need a neighborhood resident parking permit, otherwise you can only park for two hours. It sounds like you already have a place to live? Do you already live in SF?
born, raised and schooled in sf my whole life. living in daly city right now near century 20. i guess taking muni would be the smartest thing to do since DC Bart has limited parking spaces.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:34 am

mbkc03 wrote: born, raised and schooled in sf my whole life. living in daly city right now near century 20. i guess taking muni would be the smartest thing to do since DC Bart has limited parking spaces.
awesome, then you don't need me to tell you about the area :)

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:34 am

In case anyone is interested, married commuting-from-suburbia (read BART) 1L open to questions from other less-traditional students.

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:54 am

Where do the Tower students generally go to get their groceries?

Also, how are the utilities in the Tower? Is there generally enough hot water for showers, and a stable internet connection?

I heard that the school was looking into getting a mascot. Has any progress been made on deciding upon one?

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:06 am

We have a mascot. It's a shark.

Edit: I can't help you on the other stuff!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:33 pm

apollo2015 wrote:Where do the Tower students generally go to get their groceries?

Also, how are the utilities in the Tower? Is there generally enough hot water for showers, and a stable internet connection?

I heard that the school was looking into getting a mascot. Has any progress been made on deciding upon one?
you can get groceries all around. there are a ton of small market-type and convenient type stores within a couple blocks. couple walgreens on market st. a couple minutes away. safeways/trade joes are a bit further and you have to take a slightly longer walk/take public transportation. if you have a car of course, it's much easier, but it's not hard to get groceries without one.

hot water is not an issue at all from my experience. internet is pretty decent, but it can be very spotty at times, to be honest. for normal browsing/video watching (for the most part) it's totally fine, but for things like gaming, i imagine it might be a bit slow (though i can't be certain considering i don't have time to play games).

Baronessa_Esq

New

Post by Baronessa_Esq » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:13 am

apollo2015 wrote:Where do the Tower students generally go to get their groceries?

I don't live in the Tower but most of my friends do. Most people get groceries from Costco, Trader Joes, or Safeway. I believe Safeway is the best out of the three, it does take a bit longer, but they do deliver so that is an option. TJs doesn't have GOOD produce at all!

The utilities I believe are included in the rent and none of my friends have ever complained, and when I'm there I use the internet and it seems perfect.

odetojefferson

New

Post by odetojefferson » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:10 pm

I think the TLS article on Hastings talks about a harsh grading curve but that it was possibly getting revised. Can you guys speak to the curve/if it seems excessively harsh in your opinion?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:58 pm

odetojefferson wrote:I think the TLS article on Hastings talks about a harsh grading curve but that it was possibly getting revised. Can you guys speak to the curve/if it seems excessively harsh in your opinion?
That article is pretty old, they changed in curve in around 2009 to allow more As and less Cs. Now, with classes with more than 30 people, the grading curve looks like this:

In all classes with 30 or more students enrolled at the time of grading, the following
normalization requirements shall apply: 15 to 25 percent of grades shall be in the A
range (A-, A, or A+); 12 to 17 percent of grades shall be below B-. If an instructor
teaches more than one section of a course in a given semester, he may, at his
discretion, treat multiple sections as a single class for the purposes of grade
normalization.

There is no curve for classes with less than 30 people. It is up to the professor's discretion whether he wants to give 15% of As or 25% of As, and the school keeps each professor's grading on file. That means before you sign up for a course, you can go look to see if you have a generous professor or not. In my opinion the curve isn't harsh at all - that changed a couple of years ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

odetojefferson

New

Post by odetojefferson » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:26 pm

Yeah that actually looks pretty great. Thank you!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:28 pm

ilovesf wrote: There is no curve for classes with less than 30 people. It is up to the professor's discretion whether he wants to give 15% of As or 25% of As, and the school keeps each professor's grading on file. That means before you sign up for a course, you can go look to see if you have a generous professor or not. In my opinion the curve isn't harsh at all - that changed a couple of years ago.
wait, what? where can i find this info? :shock:

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:46 pm

Lasers wrote:
ilovesf wrote: There is no curve for classes with less than 30 people. It is up to the professor's discretion whether he wants to give 15% of As or 25% of As, and the school keeps each professor's grading on file. That means before you sign up for a course, you can go look to see if you have a generous professor or not. In my opinion the curve isn't harsh at all - that changed a couple of years ago.
wait, what? where can i find this info? :shock:
I'm pretty sure it is in the records office. My friend has done it, she was pissed because she realized one of our professors only gave 17% As last year or something and started freaking out. I'll ask her tomorrow and let you know.

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:23 pm

There is a folder in the records office on the right when you walk in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:50 pm

thanks so guys.

i'll check it out tomorrow... :o

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:23 pm

There are no good grocery stores around here. If you're used to large grocery stores you have to go to surrounding neighborhoods. (There is one decent grocery store about 2 blocks away but it's nothing like a SafeWay.) The corner shops are only good if you want to buy beer.

The internet connection is usually really good. However, it does drop out every couple weeks for short periods of time.

It's actually a nice place to live. On the one side is the Tenderloin (rough but cheap). On the other side is the Civic Center -- which is heaven for a law student.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:21 am

kapital98 wrote:

There are no good grocery stores around here. If you're used to large grocery stores you have to go to surrounding neighborhoods. (There is one decent grocery store about 2 blocks away but it's nothing like a SafeWay.) The corner shops are only good if you want to buy beer.

The internet connection is usually really good. However, it does drop out every couple weeks for short periods of time.

It's actually a nice place to live. On the one side is the Tenderloin (rough but cheap). On the other side is the Civic Center -- which is heaven for a law student.
There is a market/bodega place (has fresh produce and fresh meat sections) that I think is often overlooked, it's on Howard just around the corner from 6th. There is also Urban Market or whatever it is on 8th at Howard that is somewhat like Whole Foods (but more random assortment, less options and more expensive). These are two places I'd suggest if you are walking from the tower.

Otherwise take muni to the Safeway at church or the bus to TJ's in Soma.

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:49 pm

Thank you for the answers, guys.

Another Tower question, if I may: is it random what floor in the tower you will end up on, or are some types of units higher than others? For example, do Studios tend to be higher up in the Tower than Efficiencies?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:14 am

apollo2015 wrote:Thank you for the answers, guys.

Another Tower question, if I may: is it random what floor in the tower you will end up on, or are some types of units higher than others? For example, do Studios tend to be higher up in the Tower than Efficiencies?
fairly certain it is random.

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:58 pm

mbkc03 wrote:I'm set to start at UC Hastings in August and have very little knowledge about loans and financial aid. I'm planning to submit my FAFSA in as soon as I get my W2 forms but it's unlikely that I'll get any money from the grants that comes with that. Realistically, I'll be taking out GRADplus Loans/Private loans. I was wondering WHEN is a good is time to actually apply for loans so that it'll fall perfectly with the date tuition is due (which i believe is in July). Also, do most 1L's take out a whole yr's worth of tuition all out at once, or do they take out loans for each semester when tuition is due (roughly 20k per semester). Any input would be much appreciated.

Also, I was wondering on whether or not it's a good idea to drive to school. Otherwise, I'm going to be stuck with parking on Taraval and taking the "L" everyday.
No clue with the loans.

I took the L/N lines for the first half of the semester. MUNI is fine as long as you don't get out during rush hour. I've waited over two hours for a L/N to show up. If a train gets stuck in the outgoing tunnel its pretty much game over. If you can find parking, West Portal is generally the most reliable station to reach from Hastings. I believe the M, L, and K go through there.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:15 am

As far as I can tell it's random.

HOWEVER, the higher up you go the more expensive each unit becomes. The cheapest units are on floor 5 and above. The closer you get to the top, and the better the view becomes, the more expensive the apartment (regardless of type.) Also, the highest floors are reserved for penthouses and 2 bedrooms.

I live on the 6th floor and have a lovely view of a water tower and part of another part of the Tower. It's like having a really nice prison cell (The 5th floor literally has iron guards on the windows to prevent you from exiting through the window.) On the other hand, it's dirt cheap and that's exactly what I want.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:19 am

Hastings gives out loans every semester. You get a nice chunk of cash into your bank account all at once (~10K per semester.) Apply as early as possible. Loan disbursement is fixed for the beginning of the semester. No matter when you apply you will not receive the money until the semester begins.

Don't worry about tuition. The college will not charge you until they have your loan money (it's automatically withdrawn unless you don't plan on taking out loans.) If you plan on living in the Tower you have to pay the first month of rent up front -- so that should hold you over until your loan disbursement comes through.

HTH

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:29 am

kapital98 wrote:

As far as I can tell it's random.

HOWEVER, the higher up you go the more expensive each unit becomes. The cheapest units are on floor 5 and above. The closer you get to the top, and the better the view becomes, the more expensive the apartment (regardless of type.) Also, the highest floors are reserved for penthouses and 2 bedrooms.

I live on the 6th floor and have a lovely view of a water tower and part of another part of the Tower. It's like having a really nice prison cell (The 5th floor literally has iron guards on the windows to prevent you from exiting through the window.) On the other hand, it's dirt cheap and that's exactly what I want.
higher up is great. better view and no iron guards! i can jump out unencumbered if i'm ever depressed enough! :lol:

JDProspect

New

Post by JDProspect » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:43 am

Hello 1L's. Thanks for taking the time to respond to prospective Hasting students.

I received a call from admissions today informing me that I'm in. I currently live in Oakland (Lake Merritt), and I hardly ever go into the city, so I don't know much about it. Do you think it would be worth commuting from here?

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:22 am

JDProspect wrote:Hello 1L's. Thanks for taking the time to respond to prospective Hasting students.

I received a call from admissions today informing me that I'm in. I currently live in Oakland (Lake Merritt), and I hardly ever go into the city, so I don't know much about it. Do you think it would be worth commuting from here?
such a commute can be done, though i personally don't know of anyone that does. i have heard of people commuting from just as far, but i personally would tire of it rather quickly (though i must admit i would tire of almost any commute longer than the short walk from the tower; 8:30am classes are brutal enough without a commute).

also, will you be driving? bart?

i guess the bottom line is, are there other options?

lisavj

Bronze

Post by lisavj » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:49 am

JDProspect wrote:Hello 1L's. Thanks for taking the time to respond to prospective Hasting students.

I BART in from Walnut Creek (3 block walk to BART then it's about six steps from BART to the school - I literally have made it to class from a train arriving 5 min before, though I wouldn't advise cutting it that close). I personally love being off campus - it gives me a big picture view of law school. Of course, I waited six years and a separate degree before going back to law school and have a spouse so living near his work was pretty important.

I find that I get a ton of reading done on BART, whether for class, or just background (prof papers, background reading etc.). Because I have the extra time where I basically just read I found on exams I picked up a bunch of extra points because I had a wide knowledge of the subject matter. The key here will be can you get a seat so you can highlight/take notes. I'm way out in the boonies so I always get one, but if I commuted in from MacArthur I wouldn't...

Of course, I'm biased bc I choose to do this. There have been times on long days (EG with LWR) when I wished I had a bed close by and could take a nap. Of course, because I was stuck on campus I studied. You do need the discipline to try to get stuff done at school so you don't have to take seven freakishly large books home. Also, I tend to wake up around 5:45/6am because I like to get into campus around 7:30/8.

Lockers in the basement of the tower and the 198 building help a ton. (I also try to work out at the tower before I head home because the elliptical is nicer to my knees than pavement).

Hope that helps!

EDIT: my spelling is awfsome
Last edited by lisavj on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”