UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
myuniverse
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:49 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby myuniverse » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:13 pm

hiima3L wrote:
magicdonquan wrote:Can any of you guys provide some quick advice on housing?
My plan as of right now is move to SF early August (from Texas), crash on a buddy's couch for a few days and hopefully find a place/sign a lease and move in within a week or so.

I know the housing market is crazy right now, so am I out of my mind thinking that this would be possible, or is it actually reasonable? I see places get listed on craigslist every day, but not sure how competitive it all is, etc. The alternative here would obviously be visiting sometime this month and trying to get something for August 1st.

Any advice would be appreciated!


Obviously no idea what your financial situation is like, but assuming you're an average law student, this is wishful thinking. The housing market in SF is insane right now. You should give yourself at least a few weeks. I know plenty of people, myself included, who spent a month or more at the beginning of last school year trying to find housing.

Make sure you have multiple copies of your credit report--lots of places wouldn't even consider my app without one.


I'm thinking about bringing a car. If I commute, can I expect lower rent?

Can you suggest some neighborhoods? TYIA

hiima3L
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby hiima3L » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:20 pm

myuniverse wrote:
hiima3L wrote:
magicdonquan wrote:Can any of you guys provide some quick advice on housing?
My plan as of right now is move to SF early August (from Texas), crash on a buddy's couch for a few days and hopefully find a place/sign a lease and move in within a week or so.

I know the housing market is crazy right now, so am I out of my mind thinking that this would be possible, or is it actually reasonable? I see places get listed on craigslist every day, but not sure how competitive it all is, etc. The alternative here would obviously be visiting sometime this month and trying to get something for August 1st.

Any advice would be appreciated!


Obviously no idea what your financial situation is like, but assuming you're an average law student, this is wishful thinking. The housing market in SF is insane right now. You should give yourself at least a few weeks. I know plenty of people, myself included, who spent a month or more at the beginning of last school year trying to find housing.

Make sure you have multiple copies of your credit report--lots of places wouldn't even consider my app without one.


I'm thinking about bringing a car. If I commute, can I expect lower rent?

Can you suggest some neighborhoods? TYIA


Yes, but a car will make it vastly more expensive. Parking at school is ~$250/mo (I think) and parking permits in SF are super expensive. IMO, you're better off taking public transportation (MUNI passes are $70/mo) cuz having a car is often more of a hassle than a convenience.

I'd look in the Richmond and Sunset areas. They can lead to long commutes, but they're quiet and you can get a nice apts for much cheaper than other, hipper neighborhoods.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby ilovesf » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:33 pm

hiima3L wrote:Yes, but a car will make it vastly more expensive. Parking at school is ~$250/mo (I think) and parking permits in SF are super expensive. IMO, you're better off taking public transportation (MUNI passes are $70/mo) cuz having a car is often more of a hassle than a convenience.

I'd look in the Richmond and Sunset areas. They can lead to long commutes, but they're quiet and you can get a nice apts for much cheaper than other, hipper neighborhoods.

Parking permits are only $104/year. That's not really that expensive. But yeah, I wouldn't drive to school every day unless I had to (like lived in another city and could carpool).

hiima3L
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby hiima3L » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:38 pm

ilovesf wrote:
hiima3L wrote:Yes, but a car will make it vastly more expensive. Parking at school is ~$250/mo (I think) and parking permits in SF are super expensive. IMO, you're better off taking public transportation (MUNI passes are $70/mo) cuz having a car is often more of a hassle than a convenience.

I'd look in the Richmond and Sunset areas. They can lead to long commutes, but they're quiet and you can get a nice apts for much cheaper than other, hipper neighborhoods.

Parking permits are only $104/year. That's not really that expensive. But yeah, I wouldn't drive to school every day unless I had to (like lived in another city and could carpool).


Whoa, I thought they were way more than that.

I guess that's one reason why traffic enforcement is so crazy about tickets.

myuniverse
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:49 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby myuniverse » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:51 pm

ilovesf wrote:
hiima3L wrote:Yes, but a car will make it vastly more expensive. Parking at school is ~$250/mo (I think) and parking permits in SF are super expensive. IMO, you're better off taking public transportation (MUNI passes are $70/mo) cuz having a car is often more of a hassle than a convenience.

I'd look in the Richmond and Sunset areas. They can lead to long commutes, but they're quiet and you can get a nice apts for much cheaper than other, hipper neighborhoods.

Parking permits are only $104/year. That's not really that expensive. But yeah, I wouldn't drive to school every day unless I had to (like lived in another city and could carpool).


I appreciate the help.

The school website lists parking at $210/month. Where should I look for the $104/year rate?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby ilovesf » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:53 pm

myuniverse wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
hiima3L wrote:Yes, but a car will make it vastly more expensive. Parking at school is ~$250/mo (I think) and parking permits in SF are super expensive. IMO, you're better off taking public transportation (MUNI passes are $70/mo) cuz having a car is often more of a hassle than a convenience.

I'd look in the Richmond and Sunset areas. They can lead to long commutes, but they're quiet and you can get a nice apts for much cheaper than other, hipper neighborhoods.

Parking permits are only $104/year. That's not really that expensive. But yeah, I wouldn't drive to school every day unless I had to (like lived in another city and could carpool).


I appreciate the help.

The school website lists parking at $210/month. Where should I look for the $104/year rate?

The 210$ is for the school garage, the $104 is for residential street parking in the city.
http://www.sfmta.com/cms/pperm/indxpkperm.htm

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby a male human » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:02 pm

I lived in Daly City as a first year. There's free street parking, but you will have to ask the city hall for a parking permit if you live too close to the BART station. I lived in a house with $675 rent all included. Of course I had my car, too.

User avatar
lisavj
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby lisavj » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:58 pm

I pay 650 for my mortgage in walnut creek and commuted by BART. Posted on here somewhere how to succeed in law school as a commuter (Hastings c/o 2015?).

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby a male human » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:01 pm

The BART ride gave me a good place to read/underline and later take notes on it at home.

apollo2015
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:13 am

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby apollo2015 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Any thoughts on LWR?
Last edited by apollo2015 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiima3L
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby hiima3L » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:43 pm

apollo2015 wrote:Any thoughts on Professor Creitz for LWR?


No, but the absolute most important thing you can do is go to your TA's office hours. They will tell you everything you need to know either intentionally or otherwise. I TA'd both LWR and Moot Court and each time the 2 students who came to every one of my office hours got the highest grades.

apollo2015
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:13 am

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby apollo2015 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:39 pm

Interesting! What kind of questions would you recommend that we ask during those office hours?

hiima3L
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby hiima3L » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:34 pm

apollo2015 wrote:Interesting! What kind of questions would you recommend that we ask during those office hours?


"How do I incorporate the prof's comment here?" or "How would I make this better?" Also ask for general IRAC advice. If you can IRAC well, you will get a good grade.

nagelbett
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby nagelbett » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:01 pm

I just bought some books. But now trying to figure out what are some good supplements for my classes.
Maybe some of you had these professors, so you know what supplements they suggested, or what you thought were helpful:

Torts: Takacs
Contracts: Martinez
CivPro: Hillman

Thanks

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby ilovesf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:08 pm

nagelbett wrote:I just bought some books. But now trying to figure out what are some good supplements for my classes.
Maybe some of you had these professors, so you know what supplements they suggested, or what you thought were helpful:

Torts: Takacs
Contracts: Martinez
CivPro: Hillman

Thanks

I thought the E&E for Torts was useless. You cover a small amount of material in that class. I'd suggest doing practice tests and meeting with him. He appreciates case cites and real specific detail in your answer.

User avatar
kapital98
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby kapital98 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:03 pm

ilovesf wrote:
nagelbett wrote:I just bought some books. But now trying to figure out what are some good supplements for my classes.
Maybe some of you had these professors, so you know what supplements they suggested, or what you thought were helpful:

Torts: Takacs
Contracts: Martinez
CivPro: Hillman

Thanks

I thought the E&E for Torts was useless. You cover a small amount of material in that class. I'd suggest doing practice tests and meeting with him. He appreciates case cites and real specific detail in your answer.


I found the E&E extremely helpful. Takacs had the E&E right next to his casebook last year in his office. When I asked him about it he recommended it.

Different people will disagree over supplements. Ask Takacs for advice (he's great with advice) and use your best judgement.

nagelbett
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby nagelbett » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:53 pm

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
nagelbett wrote:I just bought some books. But now trying to figure out what are some good supplements for my classes.
Maybe some of you had these professors, so you know what supplements they suggested, or what you thought were helpful:

Torts: Takacs
Contracts: Martinez
CivPro: Hillman

Thanks

I thought the E&E for Torts was useless. You cover a small amount of material in that class. I'd suggest doing practice tests and meeting with him. He appreciates case cites and real specific detail in your answer.


I found the E&E extremely helpful. Takacs had the E&E right next to his casebook last year in his office. When I asked him about it he recommended it.

Different people will disagree over supplements. Ask Takacs for advice (he's great with advice) and use your best judgement.


thanks for the advice.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby ilovesf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:24 pm

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
nagelbett wrote:I just bought some books. But now trying to figure out what are some good supplements for my classes.
Maybe some of you had these professors, so you know what supplements they suggested, or what you thought were helpful:

Torts: Takacs
Contracts: Martinez
CivPro: Hillman

Thanks

I thought the E&E for Torts was useless. You cover a small amount of material in that class. I'd suggest doing practice tests and meeting with him. He appreciates case cites and real specific detail in your answer.


I found the E&E extremely helpful. Takacs had the E&E right next to his casebook last year in his office. When I asked him about it he recommended it.

Different people will disagree over supplements. Ask Takacs for advice (he's great with advice) and use your best judgement.

Yeah. Takacs is really nice and extremely approachable. You should definitely go talk to him.

User avatar
kapital98
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby kapital98 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:50 pm

Have any of you had Moscato? Especially for Civ Pro II? I'm asking for a friend.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby ilovesf » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:12 pm

kapital98 wrote:Have any of you had Moscato? Especially for Civ Pro II? I'm asking for a friend.

Nope but I'm taking this class next semester.

hiima3L
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby hiima3L » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:29 am

kapital98 wrote:Have any of you had Moscato? Especially for Civ Pro II? I'm asking for a friend.


No, but I lived the dream this last semester, so PM for civil procedure goodness.

ksllaw
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby ksllaw » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:34 am

How have the job prospects been for UC Hastings law grads that you've come aross?

hiima3L
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby hiima3L » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:19 pm

ksllaw wrote:How have the job prospects been for UC Hastings law grads that you've come aross?


Abysmal.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby ilovesf » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:07 pm

hiima3L wrote:
ksllaw wrote:How have the job prospects been for UC Hastings law grads that you've come aross?


Abysmal.

Yep.

ksllaw
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby ksllaw » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:45 pm

How is the cost of living for place close to campus w/ or w/o roommates?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests