UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
SaintsTheMetal

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:10 pm

amissionsix wrote:Yes the legal market is tough. And yes SF has a small legal market (but there's also Silicon Valley). Yes it costs way too much $$$ to attend law school (and you can't discharge your debt). But take all the negative advice on here with a grain of salt. The people that did well and got jobs probably aren't sitting on web forums talking about it. So just remember that.

After reading all the negative things about Hastings last year, I was second guessing my decision. But I used that to light a fire up under me b/c I realized what was on the line. Just know you have to not only work hard, but you also have to work smart. Coming to Hastings was a great decision for me. I'd be happy to answer questions as an "unjaded" Hastings student.

SA offer(s)?

magicdonquan

Postby magicdonquan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:30 pm

Any current or past Hastings students have any experience with things like the clinics, moot court, trial/appellate advocacy, or the Hastings Appellate Project? Would love to get some student perspective on this stuff, thanks!

amissionsix

Postby amissionsix » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:19 pm

I haven't been on this site much since admissions so I don't know what an "SA" is. I'm guessing you mean a Summer Associate offer? OCI isn't until August, but the odds look good. We'll see.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:18 pm

magicdonquan wrote:Any current or past Hastings students have any experience with things like the clinics, moot court, trial/appellate advocacy, or the Hastings Appellate Project? Would love to get some student perspective on this stuff, thanks!

I have experience with moot court. Feel free to PM me.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:48 pm

amissionsix wrote:The people that did well and got jobs probably aren't sitting on web forums talking about it. So just remember that.

eh, I worked hard, did well, had lots of interviews, and am unemployed. I know many others with comparable grades in the same boat. actually come to think of it, almost all the people I know with jobs are either IP (plus advanced technical degrees) or at the very top of the class (ie. - better than top 10%). I've heard of a few folks getting on with local DA and PD offices, but they are rare.

it's not a dig on Hastings, the school is fine. the job market just isn't there.

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:53 am

amissionsix wrote: The people that did well and got jobs probably aren't sitting on web forums talking about it. So just remember that.

You schooled me. Will now go re-define doing well, and ask my boss what I've been doing at my fake job for a while now...

amissionsix wrote: After reading all the negative things about Hastings last year, I was second guessing my decision. But I used that to light a fire up under me b/c I realized what was on the line. Just know you have to not only work hard, but you also have to work smart.

This, however, is on the money. You need motivation when you have to remind yourself why studying is more important than being outside. Or at least to help you when you are outside, but still studying

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:45 pm

You guys need to keep in mind that "doing well" grades-wise is a necessary but insufficient condition for getting a well-paying job. Even with top 15-20% grades your odds are still, at best, 50/50.

I've busted tail for the last 3 years and don't have much to show for it. Kinda flies in the face of the whole "work hard and you'll be rewarded" notion that most people seem to take for granted. I don't exactly regret going to law school; I think I'll have some opportunities in the future. But I don't expect any immediate payoff.

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:36 pm

Mick Haller wrote:You guys need to keep in mind that "doing well" grades-wise is a necessary but insufficient condition for getting a well-paying job.

Also very true. I know several people who had baller grades but have no job. Also know one or two ppl at median who have biglaw offers -- mostly bc they networked and hustled.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:47 pm

lisavj wrote:
Mick Haller wrote:You guys need to keep in mind that "doing well" grades-wise is a necessary but insufficient condition for getting a well-paying job.

Also very true. I know several people who had baller grades but have no job. Also know one or two ppl at median who have biglaw offers -- mostly bc they networked and hustled.

well, Hastings placed about 10% of the 2011 class in firms of 100+, and I expect my class is the same or lower.

In my opinion (and experience) hustling and networking are significantly more important than grades at present.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:04 am

Mick Haller wrote:
lisavj wrote:

well, Hastings placed about 10% of the 2011 class in firms of 100+, and I expect my class is the same or lower.

In my opinion (and experience) hustling and networking are significantly more important than grades at present.

This is why I'm going to every single firm event this summer and sending thank you notes to everyone. I don't understand people who don't go to these events. I mean nothing will probably come of it, but you have to try.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:13 am

ilovesf wrote:
Mick Haller wrote:
lisavj wrote:

This is why I'm going to every single firm event this summer and sending thank you notes to everyone. I don't understand people who don't go to these events. I mean nothing will probably come of it, but you have to try.

You are in a much better spot than 90%+ of your classmates. Seriously, no one realizes how important networking is coming from Hastings until it's too late. Good job, make sure to keep it up.

Another super important thing no one seems to realize is recommendations. I know people with top grades but with 0 recs so they couldn't even apply to tons of jobs. My advice would be to get to know a couple of profs--find ones who you will take a couple classes with, ask to RA, and so on. It's part of their job to write LORs and I've never heard of a Hastings prof. who won't write a solid LOR for those who deserve them.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:40 am

ilovesf wrote:
Mick Haller wrote:
lisavj wrote:

Because I'm in Siberia. Wait, I mean upstate New York.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:43 am

kapital98 wrote:

It was more directed to people working in SF over the summer who don't go. At the Bingham one I saw a lot of Hastings students actually, but the Goodwin one last night was pretty empty.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:41 pm

ilovesf wrote:
kapital98 wrote:

It was more directed to people working in SF over the summer who don't go. At the Bingham one I saw a lot of Hastings students actually, but the Goodwin one last night was pretty empty.

I know. But a significant percent of students are outside the Bay Area for the summer. A lot of people are in LA, SD, etc...

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:18 pm

ilovesf wrote:
kapital98 wrote:

how was the goodwin event compared to the bingham one? meet lots of people? decided to skip the goodwin one; might go to the skadden one though.

i'm going to these events just in case i don't transfer.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:52 pm

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
kapital98 wrote:

I know. But a significant percent of students are outside the Bay Area for the summer. A lot of people are in LA, SD, etc...

They have these events in most major cities, and I know people summering in LA who still aren't going. Anyway, it's someone's own choice, so I don't care if they don't go. Just an observation that only like 5 Hastings students showed up.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:57 pm

Lasers wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
kapital98 wrote:

how was the goodwin event compared to the bingham one? meet lots of people? decided to skip the goodwin one; might go to the skadden one though.

i'm going to these events just in case i don't transfer.

I loved it! It was much smaller than the bingham event - I guess because of the location. I talked to a lot more associates/partners, and I thought it was more laid back and friendly. I got a great vibe from them. The associates approached us and tried hard to talk to a lot of people, I really appreciated that. I also really liked th SAs, they seemed to love their time there so far. I'm def gonna go to the skadden one. Free food, free drinks, aw yeah.

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:08 am

How do you know about these? I got the Bingham email but nothing about Skadden...

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:25 am

lisavj wrote:How do you know about these? I got the Bingham email but nothing about Skadden...

They sent them to the whole 1L class.

amissionsix

Postby amissionsix » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:15 pm

lisavj wrote:
amissionsix wrote: The people that did well and got jobs probably aren't sitting on web forums talking about it. So just remember that.

You schooled me. Will now go re-define doing well, and ask my boss what I've been doing at my fake job for a while now...

I didn't mean that in a negative way towards you, or anyone for that matter. I apologize if it sounded that way. I was just trying to say that I read a lot of negative things on these boards last summer, but when I spoke with people actually at Hastings, the picture was much different for certain people. And I didn't read any of those Hastings success stories on these forums. Just trying to say to take everything negative you read here with a grain of salt.

JamesChapman23

Postby JamesChapman23 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:04 pm

amissionsix wrote:
lisavj wrote:

I didn't mean that in a negative way towards you, or anyone for that matter. I apologize if it sounded that way. I was just trying to say that I read a lot of negative things on these boards last summer, but when I spoke with people actually at Hastings, the picture was much different for certain people. And I didn't read any of those Hastings success stories on these forums. Just trying to say to take everything negative you read here with a grain of salt.

Or just read the data:
--LinkRemoved--

45 percent under or unemployment, less than 10 percent of the class with biglaw. I would say people being "negative" are full justified by the data. You don't read lots of success stories because there aren't that many- the fact a 1L is claiming expertise on the job situation is kind of amusing tho.

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:57 pm

JamesChapman23 wrote:
amissionsix wrote:
lisavj wrote:

Or just read the data:
--LinkRemoved--

45 percent under or unemployment, less than 10 percent of the class with biglaw. I would say people being "negative" are full justified by the data. You don't read lots of success stories because there aren't that many- the fact a 1L is claiming expertise on the job situation is kind of amusing tho.

This x 10.

I think my class of 2012 is going to have even worse numbers. I don't think current incoming UCH students have any idea just how god awful things are right now. No one seems to grasp the gravity of the situation until the end of 3L year, which baffles me. This is coming from someone who fortunately landed a job over 3L winter break after sending 100s of applications all over the country and networking like mad 2L year, so I know firsthand just how terrible job prospects are.

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:24 pm

Rising 3L here. I stumbled upon this topic and will input feedback for new questions.

magicdonquan

Postby magicdonquan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:54 pm

Can any of you guys provide some quick advice on housing?
My plan as of right now is move to SF early August (from Texas), crash on a buddy's couch for a few days and hopefully find a place/sign a lease and move in within a week or so.

I know the housing market is crazy right now, so am I out of my mind thinking that this would be possible, or is it actually reasonable? I see places get listed on craigslist every day, but not sure how competitive it all is, etc. The alternative here would obviously be visiting sometime this month and trying to get something for August 1st.

Any advice would be appreciated!

hiima3L

Postby hiima3L » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:23 pm

magicdonquan wrote:Can any of you guys provide some quick advice on housing?
My plan as of right now is move to SF early August (from Texas), crash on a buddy's couch for a few days and hopefully find a place/sign a lease and move in within a week or so.

I know the housing market is crazy right now, so am I out of my mind thinking that this would be possible, or is it actually reasonable? I see places get listed on craigslist every day, but not sure how competitive it all is, etc. The alternative here would obviously be visiting sometime this month and trying to get something for August 1st.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Obviously no idea what your financial situation is like, but assuming you're an average law student, this is wishful thinking. The housing market in SF is insane right now. You should give yourself at least a few weeks. I know plenty of people, myself included, who spent a month or more at the beginning of last school year trying to find housing.

Make sure you have multiple copies of your credit report--lots of places wouldn't even consider my app without one.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”