UC Hastings Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
apollo2015

Bronze

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Post by apollo2015 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:24 am

hiima3L wrote: The TL is bizarre because one or two blocks can be completely different from another. For instance, McAllister is fine, but Golden Gate is not; Polk is fine, but Hyde is not; Leavenworth is horrendous until about Geary. So you learn how to get around these crappy parts. A 2 block walk from UCH should be fine unless it's directly up Leavenworth, which my friends and I referred to as "The Gauntlet." Also, you can always take the shuttle, one of the least-utilized best things about UCH.
Very true. I agree with all of this.

Leavenworth is sketch until you reach the hill around Geary/Post. Then bam all of a sudden you're in one of the richest areas in the country. San Francisco is fun that way. Whenever you feel like you're in a bad area just go up a hill and the neighborhood changes quickly. That said, I've walked Leavenworth plenty of times. Just keep on walking, and don't make eye contact or stop when the vibrant neighbors try to get your attention, and you'll be fine.

Polk is totally gentrified, and will serve you well as a north/south route, and there are many popular bars for Hastings students around Sutter/Polk.

I don't use Larkin much, but while not as gentrified as Polk, it does have a ton of popular ethnic restaurants for Hastings students.

I don't use Hyde enough to comment on it.

McAllister (the east-west street most Hastings buildings are on) is safe except for half a block by Market. That part will improve once the Hibernia building is finally redeveloped.

Golden Gate is being deliberately improved by Hastings, and its recent changes have impressed me a lot. Hastings strategically located a Philz Coffee on the corner of Golden Gate and Larkin, and since that place opened a few months ago, it has almost always been packed with professionals in suits. I expect it to attract some more quality commercial tenants to that block. As of now, Golden Gate between Larkin and Hyde is safe on the south side of the street. The rif-raf stays on the north side. Golden Gate between Hyde and Leavenworth will improve a lot soon now that the construction of the new Lofts project is almost complete: (http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2013 ... _at_s.html ; http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2013/05/2 ... _units.php ; http://theloftsatsevensf.com/)

jump_man

Bronze

Post by jump_man » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:32 am

apollo2015 wrote:
hiima3L wrote: The TL is bizarre because one or two blocks can be completely different from another. For instance, McAllister is fine, but Golden Gate is not; Polk is fine, but Hyde is not; Leavenworth is horrendous until about Geary. So you learn how to get around these crappy parts. A 2 block walk from UCH should be fine unless it's directly up Leavenworth, which my friends and I referred to as "The Gauntlet." Also, you can always take the shuttle, one of the least-utilized best things about UCH.
Very true. I agree with all of this.
hiima3L and Apollo 2015 speak the truth.

The neighborhood will have a completely different feel when the GSA moves into the old federal building on the 100 block of McAllister. I've also rumors that Hastings is paying to remodel the sidewalks on the north side of the 100 block of McAllister by making them wider and planting trees. Hotel Renoir at 45 McAllister is undergoing a remodel as well, and will re-open next year with a rooftop bar and ground floor retail. I haven't heard of any plans for the Hibernia Bank - I think investors are scared off by the landmark status of the bank's interior.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:37 am

Ohhh really, a rooftop bar? Cool.

jenchoXD

New

Post by jenchoXD » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:41 pm

hiima3L wrote:
jenchoXD wrote:I'm starting at Hastings this fall and looking to buy a new laptop for school and have a few questions. Do students usually take notes on their computers? How important is portability? I'm trying to decide between a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. Also, do muggings on the streets near school/the Tenderloin happen often? I'm going to be living 2 blocks away in the bad side of the Tenderloin and I'm scared I'll spend a grand+ on a Mac only to have it stolen when I carry it to and from school -_-. When I was there last week my car was broken into so I've been a little paranoid :(. If I was a big, tall guy I wouldn't be worried but I'm a small Asian girl =_= sighh.
Which cross streets are you living at?

The TL is bizarre because one or two blocks can be completely different from another. For instance, McAllister is fine, but Golden Gate is not; Polk is fine, but Hyde is not; Leavenworth is horrendous until about Geary. So you learn how to get around these crappy parts. A 2 block walk from UCH should be fine unless it's directly up Leavenworth, which my friends and I referred to as "The Gauntlet." Also, you can always take the shuttle, one of the least-utilized best things about UCH.

Edit to actually answer your question: Yes, muggings and robberies do occur in the area, but they are very rare. I think I only heard of maybe a couple of UCH students getting mugged. You will absolutely get hassled, panhandled, hollered at, etc. I think the TL is more depressing and disgusting than it is dangerous, but I also wouldn't want my girlfriend living there. Getting pepper spray isn't an overreaction, but I think being smart and observant is the most important thing.
I'm going to be living on Eddy between Hyde and Leavenworth. Probably going to be walking up and down Hyde... :?

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:02 pm

jenchoXD wrote:
hiima3L wrote:
jenchoXD wrote:I'm starting at Hastings this fall and looking to buy a new laptop for school and have a few questions. Do students usually take notes on their computers? How important is portability? I'm trying to decide between a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. Also, do muggings on the streets near school/the Tenderloin happen often? I'm going to be living 2 blocks away in the bad side of the Tenderloin and I'm scared I'll spend a grand+ on a Mac only to have it stolen when I carry it to and from school -_-. When I was there last week my car was broken into so I've been a little paranoid :(. If I was a big, tall guy I wouldn't be worried but I'm a small Asian girl =_= sighh.
I'm going to be living on Eddy between Hyde and Leavenworth. Probably going to be walking up and down Hyde... :?
IMO, it'd be worth it to go to Larkin. Then you can get Saigon Sandwich and walk in peace.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:05 pm

Got my schedule today. Did any of you have Leshy (Property), Ratner (Civ Pro), Roht-Arriaza (Torts), or Nina Greeley (LWR)? If so, what can you tell me about them?

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:16 pm

SFSpartan wrote:Got my schedule today. Did any of you have Leshy (Property), Ratner (Civ Pro), Roht-Arriaza (Torts), or Nina Greeley (LWR)? If so, what can you tell me about them?
Leshy - very good professor. His lectures are very well organized. He doesn't allow laptops and he cold calls (but only once per student per semester). He isn't overly intimidating with his cold calls.

Do not recommend the E&E for preparing for his exam. I don't know what works well, my grade was low by my standards.

shazi

New

Post by shazi » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:43 pm

SFSpartan wrote:Got my schedule today. Did any of you have Leshy (Property), Ratner (Civ Pro), Roht-Arriaza (Torts), or Nina Greeley (LWR)? If so, what can you tell me about them?
Ditto as to got my schedule and hoping for input on Prof's/Supps por favor :o

Anyone have Rachel Wagner (LWR), Rappaport (Crim), Reiss (Torts), and Price (Civ Pro)?

Thanks!!

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:47 pm

I had rappaport for crim. he is ok. He doesn't cold call.

Supplements didn't work well for me in 1L, except the civ pro E&E. I recommend studying numerous old outlines and practice essays. And take excellent class notes and make an outline from them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shazi

New

Post by shazi » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:42 pm

Some of my casebooks are not available at Amazon, or any other law books site I've tried and would take 3-4 weeks to ship so I wouldn't have it by the time class starts. Is that ok? Any advice?

shazi

New

Post by shazi » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:07 pm

shazi wrote:Some of my casebooks are not available at Amazon, or any other law books site I've tried and would take 3-4 weeks to ship so I wouldn't have it by the time class starts. Is that ok? Any advice?
I answered my own question. I didn't know the school had an online bookstore (FVB). I was attempting to oder everything on Amazon.

Still hoping for additional insight on any of my 1st semester professors if anyone else has had them:
Torts: Reiss
Crim: Rappaport
Civ Pro: Price
LWR: Wagner

Thanks Everyone!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:04 am

shazi wrote:
shazi wrote:Some of my casebooks are not available at Amazon, or any other law books site I've tried and would take 3-4 weeks to ship so I wouldn't have it by the time class starts. Is that ok? Any advice?
I answered my own question. I didn't know the school had an online bookstore (FVB). I was attempting to oder everything on Amazon.

Still hoping for additional insight on any of my 1st semester professors if anyone else has had them:
Torts: Reiss
Crim: Rappaport
Civ Pro: Price
LWR: Wagner

Thanks Everyone!
i thought rappaport was great; really clear style. long race horse type final. reiss i thought was pretty useless as a teacher; she isn't really all that clear. reiss' final was also another race horse type final where getting as much in as possible is more important than analysis.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:35 am

I think a lot of my 1L profs aren't teaching this year. But if you have Takacs, DePoorter, Diamond, or Knapp, PM me for an outline.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:47 am

ilovesf wrote:I think a lot of my 1L profs aren't teaching this year. But if you have Takacs, DePoorter, Diamond, or Knapp, PM me for an outline.
I offer the same invitation for the same professors. However, ilovesf's outlines are probably better than mine.

shazi

New

Post by shazi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:43 pm

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:I think a lot of my 1L profs aren't teaching this year. But if you have Takacs, DePoorter, Diamond, or Knapp, PM me for an outline.
I offer the same invitation for the same professors. However, ilovesf's outlines are probably better than mine.
Sweethearts! I'm definitely gonna try to make the same contribution when I'm a 2L/3L.
Lasers wrote:i thought rappaport was great; really clear style. long race horse type final. reiss i thought was pretty useless as a teacher; she isn't really all that clear. reiss' final was also another race horse type final where getting as much in as possible is more important than analysis.
Dang I guess I really need to work on my typing speed!
Thanks for info!

nagelbett

New

Post by nagelbett » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:11 pm

People on this thread were very helpful last year. I am here to do my part for the next class.
I can share outlines and advice for these professors:

Takacs - torts
Hillman - civ pro
Martinez - contracts
Little - crim
Lee - con law
Carillo - property

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:21 pm

Reiss is all over the place but gives good feedback on midterms and the final.

I didn't like Leshy at all for con law. I didn't learn anything, and his handouts were chock full of random stuff.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:10 pm

a male human wrote:Reiss is all over the place but gives good feedback on midterms and the final.

I didn't like Leshy at all for con law. I didn't learn anything, and his handouts were chock full of random stuff.
I never had Reiss as a prof, but I really like her as a person. If you have any question about anything, she'll be glad to talk to you.

The only profs I had mentioned in this thread so far were Roht-Arriaza (torts) and Marcus (civ pro). PM me for advice/outlines.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:23 pm

Anyone else not able to tls today at school on the wifi?

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:26 am

I couldn't either, I actually even posted in the Moderator Q&A thread to see if we were blocked...

But then I ran a full scan using McAfee and it turned out I couldn't TLS because of malware. Once it was gone, no problem.

If the Hastings network is now distributing malware that's super TTT. Do you have a virus scan you can run? If we can confirm this, we can report it.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:40 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:I couldn't either, I actually even posted in the Moderator Q&A thread to see if we were blocked...

But then I ran a full scan using McAfee and it turned out I couldn't TLS because of malware. Once it was gone, no problem.

If the Hastings network is now distributing malware that's super TTT. Do you have a virus scan you can run? If we can confirm this, we can report it.
That's really weird. It works today!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:23 pm

I know I asked this earlier in the thread... But Professor Martinez is a visiting professor at Cornell this semester teaching tax. Wondering if any upperclass have advice on how to prepare for his exam, what to expect in class, how tough was the class etc thanks!

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:35 pm

msblaw89 wrote:I know I asked this earlier in the thread... But Professor Martinez is a visiting professor at Cornell this semester teaching tax. Wondering if any upperclass have advice on how to prepare for his exam, what to expect in class, how tough was the class etc thanks!
I did poorly on his tax exam. I knew the material very well, but was thrown off by his questions. Many seemed poorly written and confusing. I noticed a couple of serious typos.

So I don't really know what to tell you. Just know the material well and look at his old exams if you can find them.

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:37 pm

I suppose my multiple choice strategy may have backfired as well. You get 3 pts for a correct answer, 0 pts if you leave it blank, and -1 point if you get it wrong. I was confident in the material so I answered them all. Might have been the wrong approach

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:53 pm

Mick Haller wrote:I suppose my multiple choice strategy may have backfired as well. You get 3 pts for a correct answer, 0 pts if you leave it blank, and -1 point if you get it wrong. I was confident in the material so I answered them all. Might have been the wrong approach
lol, is he the ETS or something?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”