UC Hastings Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LockBox

Bronze

Re: UC Hastings 1L Taking Questions

Post by LockBox » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:15 pm

ilovesf wrote:
LockBox wrote:
ilovesf wrote:The tower is one block away, during the day you'll be fine. There are lots of homeless people, but they don't really bother you. You'll probably just see some crazy people talking to themselves, but that's it. There have been some incidents (like a student got mugged recently at 5pm or something a couple blocks away) but that doesn't happen very often. A lot of my friends live in the TL and walk to school every day, and nothing has happened to them.

The question about your car depends on where you're living in SF. I have a car, I live about a mile away from school. I decided to keep my car because I like the flexibility it gives me. During the summer I go to Napa a lot and the surrounding areas. I use it about once or twice a week normally. If you live in the tower, I'd probably sell it. Unless you live far out like in the sunset, you'll have to pay to register your car for a sticker to park it. It's pretty easy to do and I think it costs like $60 for half a year (you'll have to look that up though because I totally forget). A lot of my friends who moved here signed up with zipcar, which is a pretty good solution. There is a zipcar parking spot in the UCH parking lot so it's pretty accessible. Public transportation around SF/the bay area is pretty good too. I take the bus out a lot even though I have a car because I don't want to deal with parking or because I want to drink. So you really don't need a car in SF as a student, but it can be nice. All of my friends not from SF don't have a car, but now that I think about it, most of my friends that are from SF do have a car.
$60/half year sounds good....the UCH website says the parking garage is rate for cars is $200/month. I'm guessing students park elsewhere? All info is appreciated
Sorry, I was a little lazy in answering the question the first time around, I'll try to be a little more clear now. The $60 is for parking on the street in your residential neighborhood. It turns out it is a tiny bit cheaper than that, it is $100/yr or $50 for the half year. You can find out info about that here: http://www.sfmta.com/cms/pperm/indxpkperm.htm Usually, if you are parking on an unmetered spot, there is a sign that says "2 hour parking unless you have a zone G permit" That means if you live in the area and register your car for a G sticker, you can park there forever and not get a ticket. Otherwise, you can get a ticket for leaving your car there for more than 2 hours during the day. This is independent of Hastings and city wide. This also does NOT apply to a meter spot.
I don't drive to school most days so I don't have a permit for the parking garage. For individual days it costs $8 a day for students. That's actually a really good deal for a garage in the middle of the city, it costs a lot more for people who aren't affiliated with the school. Students do usually park there, because aside from the garage, most of the area is metered parking, so you can only park there for like 2 hours then you have to go refill your meter. I have a couple of friends that drive to school, but most of my friends take public transportation or walk. The people who drive to school are definitely a minority. I usually only drive when it's raining really hard or when I have to move my car for street cleaning in the morning, but otherwise I don't do it.
That's very kind of you, thank you for taking the time to explain that to a non-sf native :D

sequins

New

Post by sequins » Wed May 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Would you know anything about where students living in the tower normally park?
I'm coming up from LA and won't really have anywhere near SF at all to leave it - and I'd still prefer having a car around (I drive around a lot, and plan on driving back down to LA once in a while)- not to mention that stories about the tenderloin make me think I'd prefer driving to pick up groceries. I don't mind paying the 200+ a month (pretty much budgeted that in when I was thinking of SF) but is the monthly parking at Hastings Garage a good option for long-term parking? (I wouldn't mind going over that if there's a better option nearby) Also is it possible to get the 'residential permit' thing for street parking round Hastings if I live in the Tower?

Thanks!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed May 02, 2012 6:43 pm

sequins wrote:Would you know anything about where students living in the tower normally park?
I'm coming up from LA and won't really have anywhere near SF at all to leave it - and I'd still prefer having a car around (I drive around a lot, and plan on driving back down to LA once in a while)- not to mention that stories about the tenderloin make me think I'd prefer driving to pick up groceries. I don't mind paying the 200+ a month (pretty much budgeted that in when I was thinking of SF) but is the monthly parking at Hastings Garage a good option for long-term parking? (I wouldn't mind going over that if there's a better option nearby) Also is it possible to get the 'residential permit' thing for street parking round Hastings if I live in the Tower?

Thanks!
I think the area immediately around Hastings is mostly metered because it's in civic center/right next to city hall. You'd probably have to park +3/4 blocks away then, in a not very pleasant direction to walk. I don't know anyone who has a car that lives in the tower, so I can't really help you there. If you don't care about paying +200 a month, parking in the garage could be a good option. I am not sure how accessible it is after 11pm though, this could be important for you to check before you make that commitment. Maybe if any of you who live in the tower has friends that have cars you can answer this.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:36 pm

ilovesf wrote:
sequins wrote:Would you know anything about where students living in the tower normally park?

Thanks!
I think the area immediately around Hastings is mostly metered because it's in civic center/right next to city hall. You'd probably have to park +3/4 blocks away then, in a not very pleasant direction to walk. I don't know anyone who has a car that lives in the tower, so I can't really help you there. If you don't care about paying +200 a month, parking in the garage could be a good option. I am not sure how accessible it is after 11pm though, this could be important for you to check before you make that commitment. Maybe if any of you who live in the tower has friends that have cars you can answer this.
I know some people who live in the tower and park their cars in surrounding garages (ex: The one next to the CA + Federal buildings.) It's a 3 block walk. I don't know the prices. You would have to check that out.

jarofsoup

Gold

Re: UC Hastings Students Taking Questions

Post by jarofsoup » Sat May 05, 2012 11:01 am

The media that Hastings is getting seems like employment is in the dumps....do u see this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sequins

New

Post by sequins » Sat May 05, 2012 3:24 pm

I think the media about everything in general is saying the economy is down in the dumps.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sat May 05, 2012 3:28 pm

jarofsoup wrote:The media that Hastings is getting seems like employment is in the dumps....do u see this?
Employment being shitty is not limited to Hastings. It's especially bad for schools in CA. As I haven't gone through OCI/job search I can't really speak specifically to what it's like.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sat May 05, 2012 5:45 pm

sequins wrote:I think the media about everything in general is saying the economy is down in the dumps.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Sat May 05, 2012 6:38 pm

jarofsoup wrote:The media that Hastings is getting seems like employment is in the dumps....do u see this?
yes, it is. just about all of CA, but more specifically the bay area, has had it rough. it's tough out there, as it is everywhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chochotrain

New

Post by chochotrain » Mon May 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Can anyone offer a comparison of living on campus at Hastings and living on south side in Berkeley? Is it much worse/slightly worse/about the same? Thanks!

sequins

New

Post by sequins » Tue May 08, 2012 2:12 am

Lasers wrote:
yes, it is. just about all of CA, but more specifically the bay area, has had it rough. it's tough out there, as it is everywhere.
Haha - I should push apple/cisco/hp/nvidia/google etc. products as much as I can - anything to give bay area a little boost =P

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue May 08, 2012 2:17 am

chochotrain wrote:Can anyone offer a comparison of living on campus at Hastings and living on south side in Berkeley? Is it much worse/slightly worse/about the same? Thanks!
I'm not sure what you're looking for in the comparison - lifestyle? safety? atmosphere? cost? I've never lived there so I can't offer anything more than a generalized idea of it.

sequins

New

Post by sequins » Tue May 08, 2012 2:24 am

OH and adding on to the East bay/Hastings comparison - anyone know what the commute from Daly city is like? (need somewhere pet friendly, so hastings accomm is out =( )

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue May 08, 2012 2:26 am

sequins wrote:OH and adding on to the East bay/Hastings comparison - anyone know what the commute from Daly city is like? (need somewhere pet friendly, so hastings accomm is out =( )
if you live near bart in daly city it should be fine because you can get out at civic center and it's less than a 5 minute walk from there. if you want to live in the city, i'd recommend perhaps the inner richmond or inner sunset too, both which are cheaper and have good transportation to school.

sequins

New

Post by sequins » Tue May 08, 2012 2:35 am

oo k thanks - main thing is I need pet-friendly apartment (and has to be safe neighbourhood too, since I'll have to take them out for walks at night)
Just waiting for UCLA/USC to finally just reject me so I can start planning norcal move =)

chochotrain

New

Post by chochotrain » Tue May 08, 2012 2:39 am

ilovesf wrote:
chochotrain wrote:Can anyone offer a comparison of living on campus at Hastings and living on south side in Berkeley? Is it much worse/slightly worse/about the same? Thanks!
I'm not sure what you're looking for in the comparison - lifestyle? safety? atmosphere? cost? I've never lived there so I can't offer anything more than a generalized idea of it.
I'm most concerned with safety. I've lived in that area of Berkeley before and have come across my fair share of both friendly and not-so-friendly characters. I'm hoping to use that area as a baseline and get an idea of Hasting's relative safety.

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:11 pm

What's the deal with the Tony Patino Fellowship? Who tends to get it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:56 pm

apollo2015 wrote:What's the deal with the Tony Patino Fellowship? Who tends to get it?
:?: :?: :?:

Your guess is as good as mine. It's merit aid... so, I'm inherently skeptical it goes to so-called "leaders". My useless guess, it's goes to people with high LSAT/GPA #'s

Edit: It's $10K in merit aid. I'm even more skeptical than before.

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Tue May 22, 2012 12:00 am

chochotrain wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
I'm most concerned with safety. I've lived in that area of Berkeley before and have come across my fair share of both friendly and not-so-friendly characters. I'm hoping to use that area as a baseline and get an idea of Hasting's relative safety.
Southside Berkeley is much safer. Yesterday there was an armed robbery (gun pulled on someone) right in front of campus on McAllister at 3pm in the afternoon. We get emails about all the reported crimes, and I'd say there are about 5-10 muggings/assaults per semester.

But I've never really felt unsafe around Hastings/Tenderloin. If you're a girl, it's different--expect constant catcalls and creepers. One reason is because you learn which streets to take and which ones to avoid. It's shocking how different one block is from the next around here, the most notable being McAllister and Golden Gate. The former has all the courts and City Hall while the latter is covered in homeless people and crackheads. Another big thing to consider is that the Hastings shuttle is super convenient and will go from campus to about a 10 block radius (i.e., out of all the crappy areas), so you can easily avoid the TL if you really want to.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue May 22, 2012 4:41 am

hiima3L wrote:
Southside Berkeley is much safer. Yesterday there was an armed robbery (gun pulled on someone) right in front of campus on McAllister at 3pm in the afternoon. We get emails about all the reported crimes, and I'd say there are about 5-10 muggings/assaults per semester.

But I've never really felt unsafe around Hastings/Tenderloin. If you're a girl, it's different--expect constant catcalls and creepers. One reason is because you learn which streets to take and which ones to avoid. It's shocking how different one block is from the next around here, the most notable being McAllister and Golden Gate. The former has all the courts and City Hall while the latter is covered in homeless people and crackheads. Another big thing to consider is that the Hastings shuttle is super convenient and will go from campus to about a 10 block radius (i.e., out of all the crappy areas), so you can easily avoid the TL if you really want to.
Super credited, I take the shuttle almost every day. It's awesome.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Tue May 22, 2012 2:23 pm

chochotrain wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

I do not go to Hastings but I used to work about a block away from it. I never had a problem with anything, but I also stuck to certain streets, and did not stay there long after dark. I used to take BART in and out of that area since I lived in the East Bay. BART practically brings you to Hastings door step.

I would suggest trying to time your commute with the heavy traffic time. Like get to school around 8 and leave around 5 or 6 when most of the people in the area are going to work or coming home from home.

I would say that you should not live in the area around the school because it is definitely a bad area of SF. That being said Hayes Valley is becoming very gentrified.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue May 22, 2012 3:58 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
chochotrain wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

I do not go to Hastings but I used to work about a block away from it. I never had a problem with anything, but I also stuck to certain streets, and did not stay there long after dark. I used to take BART in and out of that area since I lived in the East Bay. BART practically brings you to Hastings door step.

I would suggest trying to time your commute with the heavy traffic time. Like get to school around 8 and leave around 5 or 6 when most of the people in the area are going to work or coming home from home.

I would say that you should not live in the area around the school because it is definitely a bad area of SF. That being said Hayes Valley is becoming very gentrified.
i think you won't have any problems if you follow the following steps:
1. avoid staying out too late in the area
2. try and be with at least 1 other person
3. try and avoid certain streets (not really necessary during the day)

honestly though, i've never had a problem. also, during the day, i feel totally safe. i think when it gets later is when it starts getting sketchier so i think the biggest issue is to try and avoid being outside in the tl after dark.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue May 22, 2012 5:46 pm

jarofsoup wrote: I would suggest trying to time your commute with the heavy traffic time. Like get to school around 8 and leave around 5 or 6 when most of the people in the area are going to work or coming home from home.

Hayes Valley is gentrified and awesome. Beer garden, patxis, la boulange, suppenkuche, frijtz, etc. LOVE. I would live there if I were going to switch neighborhoods.

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Thu May 24, 2012 1:21 am

What is the general feeling of how many people are working as an SA this summer? I would absolutely, absolutely love to live in the Bay where I grew up, but all I hear is that the norcal legal market is fucked.

I was pretty dismayed when I saw the numbers on LST for Hastings's employment.. a T1 school but with worse employment figures than many TTTs..
does it really feel accurate that barely over half of the class is getting FT legal work?

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Thu May 24, 2012 6:30 am

SaintsTheMetal wrote:What is the general feeling of how many people are working as an SA this summer? I would absolutely, absolutely love to live in the Bay where I grew up, but all I hear is that the norcal legal market is fucked.

I was pretty dismayed when I saw the numbers on LST for Hastings's employment.. a T1 school but with worse employment figures than many TTTs..
does it really feel accurate that barely over half of the class is getting FT legal work?
well considering not many students get biglaw SA positions 1L summer, i don't know of many people that do (i only know two people that do and one has a phd which helps hugely for IP). i can't really comment on 2L placement (which really matters) but it's probably 10-13% of the class for biglaw.

as for the employment figures...yes they are probably accurate (though they may have improved slightly). i don't know the job status for many 3L's, but from what i've heard, if you're at median you're pretty much fucked. unless you absolutely want norcal/CA, i would stay away from hastings (or davis) right now because the legal market blows.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”