NYU EIW/Biglaw Placement Question

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mattbarnes123

NYU EIW/Biglaw Placement Question

Postby mattbarnes123 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:31 pm

Future NYU 1L here. I saw online on that:

Early Interview Week 2012 (EIW)
NYU’s largest employer recruiting event for employment in the private sector. Approximately 350 legal employers attend EIW, resulting in approximately 14,500 interviews. 82-85% of 2Ls obtain summer positions though EIW.

http://www.law.nyu.edu/careerservices/j ... /index.htm

What percentage, roughly, of EIW offers are 100k+/"desirable" jobs?

I understand not all EIW offers are going to be market paying biglaw firm gigs, but I'm guessing the EIW offer %, coupled with the % that are "decent paying" would be the best way to guage NYU's placement power. I also know NYU's recent NLJ 250 placement % was in the 40s, a far cry away from 80+ percent--likely due in part to self selection etc. But still, why the big discrepency? I'm just trying to guage NYU's current placement reality and would appreciate perspective from you TLS gurus. Tyia.

-Confused 0L

dixiecupdrinking

Re: NYU EIW/Biglaw Placement Question

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:28 am

Almost all of them are going to be six-figure jobs.

The 82-85% figure is outdated. That is a large part of the discrepancy. These days around that percentage of EIW participants get 2L summer offers.

Not everyone does EIW (maybe 10% don't participate?), and not everyone who gets an offer takes it. So these days you figure, maybe, an 80% offer rate for the 90% of the class who does EIW = around 72% of the class receiving a 2L firm job offer. Subtract out a few who take good government or public interest work despite receiving firm offers, and figure you're at around 70% of the class who work at firms 2L summer.

Not all of them are going to continue at those jobs after graduation. Figure somewhere between 7 and 10% will clerk, maybe another 2, 3, 4% decide they'd rather pursue public interest work. And a small but non-negligible number of people will get no-offered over the summer. Out of that 70% you're down to 55-60% of the class who actually go to biglaw upon graduation (which is what the NLJ numbers are measuring). As you can see, some of that is self-selection. I'd say if everyone got their first choice job, the number would be more like 75-80% in biglaw. This is all back of the envelope math.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:50 pm

mattbarnes123 wrote: I understand not all EIW offers are going to be market paying biglaw firm gigs,

This isn't true. All EIW participants are big law firms. There are on-campus interviews for non-biglaw gigs, but they don't happen as a part of EIW. As the above poster said, the 85% number is a tad bit optimistic, even if it's historically correct. My year, about 90% of students participated in EIW, and about 80% of those got at least one offer from the process; and, I think things were very slightly improved last year.

The students who don't do EIW are generally die-hard public interest and/or government folks.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:59 pm

I'm curious to see what the figures actually end up being. Perhaps my sample isn't representative, but I don't know a single person still looking for a job. Of the 10 transfers I keep up with, all have Vault jobs, with 8 of the 10 going to V25 firms. Of the 6 people I am friendly with from my classes, all have V15 jobs lined up. And in my journal office hours, 5 of 7 are going to V10 firms, with the other 2 going to V25 firms. Again, maybe this sample is just a particularly good one, but I'm amazed at the results all around. There is no overlap among any of these groups, and of course it only adds up to 23 people, but the fact that every single one is set really good to hear.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:15 am

kaiser wrote:I'm curious to see what the figures actually end up being. Perhaps my sample isn't representative, but I don't know a single person still looking for a job. Of the 10 transfers I keep up with, all have Vault jobs, with 8 of the 10 going to V25 firms. Of the 6 people I am friendly with from my classes, all have V15 jobs lined up. And in my journal office hours, 5 of 7 are going to V10 firms, with the other 2 going to V25 firms. Again, maybe this sample is just a particularly good one, but I'm amazed at the results all around. There is no overlap among any of these groups, and of course it only adds up to 23 people, but the fact that every single one is set really good to hear.

I don't know about the current 2L class, the few I know have jobs, but that's pretty few. I do know two 3L's who are still unemployed, and I know a third who I suspect is too proud to talk about it. And this is not including several EIW opt-outs who are only into PI or government work, since they sort of expect things to go last-minute. It happens, but the odds are still very, very good for the class.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”