What happens if you don't get an offer at your 2L SA firm?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
juzam_djinn

What happens if you don't get an offer at your 2L SA firm?

Postby juzam_djinn » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:16 pm

(mistakenly posted this in the Legal Employment section earlier)

Clueless 0L here. As I understand it, your OCI at beginning of 2L is to get your SA during the 2L summer. And from what I've heard, most summers get return offers..but what happens to the ones that don't? Do they have to go through OCI again at beginning of 3L? If so, how much does it hurt that they didn't get a return offer from their summer employer?

I guess overall I'm just trying to get a better grasp of the most common paths people take to get firm jobs. My fiancee is in med school and we're trying to figure out our timelines in terms of when each of us would know where we would be geographically for residency/firms. Any help is greatly appreciated!

FUBAR

Re: What happens if you don't get an offer at your 2L SA firm?

Postby FUBAR » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:17 pm

About 90% get offered permanent jobs through SA programs. 3L oci is virtually non-existent even at t14 schools. Obviously if you get no offered you have to beg/grind it out like the rest of the unemployed.

Also, have you considering working for a few years while your finance is in med school? That might be a smart thing to do.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:19 pm

--ImageRemoved--

juzam_djinn

Postby juzam_djinn » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:36 pm

FUBAR wrote:About 90% get offered permanent jobs through SA programs. 3L oci is virtually non-existent even at t14 schools. Obviously if you get no offered you have to beg/grind it out like the rest of the unemployed.

Also, have you considering working for a few years while your finance is in med school? That might be a smart thing to do.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I've worked full-time since graduating at a big tech company. If lawl school doesn't work out for some reason I have the option of going back into industry (which honestly wouldnt be terrible), but I really want to get going now (I miss school).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”