Cornell 2L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Cornell 2L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:25 am

I'll answer some questions while I outline Tax (if anyone else is awake).

I'm above median in my class, going to a V5 next summer. If you know/think you know who I am, don't out me, please.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Cornell 2L taking questions

Postby top30man » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:30 am

Lincoln wrote:I'll answer some questions while I outline Tax (if anyone else is awake).

I'm above median in my class, going to a V5 next summer. If you know/think you know who I am, don't out me, please.

Obviously you did extremely well with recruiting/OCI. How did your classmates fair, from what you can tell?

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 2L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:36 am

top30man wrote:Obviously you did extremely well with recruiting/OCI. How did your classmates fair, from what you can tell?


I think as a whole, our class did better than anyone expected, including the students and career services. I've heard rumors that 80% of the people who participated in the BigLaw recruiting process got offers. Now, that means a chunk of the class (likely 10% or so) who are only gunning for public interest aren't included, and it also includes some 3Ls and transfers, whose success rate may or may not be different.

I know a small number of people who did not get offers, and from what I can tell that depended more on luck and interviewing than grades. Obviously for those people it sucks, but most of my friends were more than happy. Rambling answer, but did I answer your question? If you want details on what I think brought me success, you can PM me.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 2L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:23 am

I'll check in again tmrw to see if anyone cares.

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: Cornell 2L taking questions

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:28 am

How much above median? I'm a 1L at Cornell. PM me if you don't want to get outed?

Also curious as to how median/slightly below median kids did from your anecdotal knowledge.

Also any advice on finals? Specifically Clermont? I'm pretty sure I will fail considering I can't comprehend what he says in class.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Cornell 2L taking questions

Postby top30man » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:14 am

Lincoln wrote:
top30man wrote:Obviously you did extremely well with recruiting/OCI. How did your classmates fair, from what you can tell?


I think as a whole, our class did better than anyone expected, including the students and career services. I've heard rumors that 80% of the people who participated in the BigLaw recruiting process got offers. Now, that means a chunk of the class (likely 10% or so) who are only gunning for public interest aren't included, and it also includes some 3Ls and transfers, whose success rate may or may not be different.

I know a small number of people who did not get offers, and from what I can tell that depended more on luck and interviewing than grades. Obviously for those people it sucks, but most of my friends were more than happy. Rambling answer, but did I answer your question? If you want details on what I think brought me success, you can PM me.

Thanks for the informative post. I know a few other posters have commented that the administration said this class did very well. Also, it seems Cornell places principally in New York, which makes total sense. How did your classmates fare that bid or mass mailed secondary markets where they had ties etc?

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 2L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:20 am

johansantana21 wrote:How much above median?


I'm a little unclear on exactly what the median is with the new curve, but I'm around a 3.5. I had one terrible grade that drew down my GPA, but I think firms preferred to see As with one shitty grades, rather than just a bunch of B+.

johansantana21 wrote:Also curious as to how median/slightly below median kids did from your anecdotal knowledge.


Pretty much everyone I know got jobs. I have friends with GPAs below a 3.3 who got offers from firms in major markets paying market salaries. Of the ones I know who didn't get jobs, there was little correlation with grades. (That may not be true for the entire sample of everyone who struck out, but I can only speak to the people I know.) I want to emphasize that (if you equate Vault ranking with success) I did extremely well as far as finding jobs, compared to other people with my GPA, for a variety of reasons. I can provide more details if you're interested.

johansantana21 wrote:Also any advice on finals? Specifically Clermont? I'm pretty sure I will fail considering I can't comprehend what he says in class.


First, don't worry about what other people do. That's the best way to freak out, think you have to try something that doesn't work for you, and end up doing miserably. Second, when you've done one exam, completely erase it from your mind, and focus on the next one. Third, don't worry about your grades. They do matter, but it's almost impossible to predict what they will be, and little you can do. Just try to learn the material as well as you can, then take some practice tests so you're familiar with the format. As for Clermont's exam, some people actually re-read the entire FKC. I sure as hell didn't. I liked using the BLS to study, and made tons of notes in it. I actually really liked Civ Pro, and ended up doing relatively well, but I think everyone feels like they failed when they got out of that exam, because he makes it incredibly difficult (and Holden-Smith's Civ Pro exam in the spring is even worse). Just focus on understanding the big picture. Although it's a bit too late if you haven't done it during the semester, even for next semester, use the questions in FKC. They're hard, and can take time, but they really help you think about the materials in a way that will really help for the exam.

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: Cornell 2L taking questions

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:24 am

Yeah I haven't done the questions in the FKC. Only read them but never actually taken the time...I guess it's below median for me...

Thanks for the advice though!

Also one more question. What is it about people who think did poorly that stuck out to you? PM me if you don't feel comfortable answering over the thread?

And also, were you on law review?

And is there such thing as mid-law hiring? Something that pays below market but between 80-100k?

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 2L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:26 am

top30man wrote:Thanks for the informative post. I know a few other posters have commented that the administration said this class did very well. Also, it seems Cornell places principally in New York, which makes total sense. How did your classmates fare that bid or mass mailed secondary markets where they had ties etc?


NYC is obv the big market for Cornell, and they place extremely well there. NYC has lots of Cornell Law School and undergraduate alumni, great contact between the career office and firms, etc. But I know several people who targeted other markets who have offers, including several in Boston, SF, and Texas. I also had offers outside NYC. As for smaller markets based on local contacts, no idea. But Cornell has job fairs in Boston and DC, so I'd guess a not insignificant number of people end up there.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Cornell 2L taking questions

Postby Lincoln » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:34 am

johansantana21 wrote:Yeah I haven't done the questions in the FKC. Only read them but never actually taken the time...I guess it's below median for me...


That's not how it works. It was just a tip, and one I wish I'd taken to heart. Just try it next semester. It'll also help not feeling like an idiot when Holden-Smith asks questions no one had thought of answers to. You'll likely be fine. Just stay focused, study hard, and, again, focus on the big picture.

johansantana21 wrote:What is it about people who think did poorly that stuck out to you?


Very hard to draw general conclusions. With some people, I was thoroughly shocked. Good grades, well spoken, etc. Others, not so much. A partner told me his test is "would I leave my most valuable client alone is a room with this person?" I think when you ask yourself that question about your classmates, you can draw your own conclusions. In general, I think people who are confident, but not arrogant, and who can find a way to connect with strangers do well in interviews.

johansantana21 wrote:And also, were you on law review?


Nope. I don't think it matters much, except for a very small number of top firms. I did much better than several people on law review, and I wasn't alone in that. I do think it could matter for clerkships, but I'm not at a point to speak to that yet.

johansantana21 wrote:And is there such thing as mid-law hiring? Something that pays below market but between 80-100k?


I don't know much about this. I didn't target any such firms, but I know people who are working for non-Vault firms but still getting paid market. I really think it's not something you need to worry about. Next summer, it's all everyone talks about. Just do well on your exams, and get a rad summer job.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative and 8 guests