harvard application?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cidergirl

harvard application?

Postby cidergirl » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:54 pm

the harvard application asks for publications and i've done a ton of independent studies under prof supervision. do these count or should i only put the most favorable ones?
also my independent studies were in a variety of subjects--poly sci as well as psychology and religion. do i want to streamline the article titles i include (list only poly sci ones since that was my major) or list all of them even though they are all over the place?

should i add sample of a paper or two (maybe an abstract) as an addendum?

Geist13

Re: harvard application?

Postby Geist13 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:09 pm

"independent study under professor supervision" does not = published. If it's actually been you know "published" in some sort of journal or whatever, just list it, in some sort of citation format (no abstract etc.). If it's not been actually published, then you don't put it down, becuase well, it hasn't been published.

DefyingGravity

Postby DefyingGravity » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:13 pm

actually the application asks for any writing done with revisions under faculty supervision AND/OR articles published. i think op either make a mistake posting or misunderstood the application

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:15 pm

DefyingGravity wrote:actually the application asks for any writing done with revisions under faculty supervision AND/OR articles published. i think op either make a mistake posting or misunderstood the application

yeah, it doesn't have to be published stuff. My senior thesis was never published or anything and I listed it along with the short description. Just briefly mention the most valuable/significant writing project you have done to date.

cidergirl

Postby cidergirl » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:56 pm

the most significant writing project i have done is going to also be listed in my awards section--would it be better to list something else instead? also should i really only list 1 project? my undergrad education was defined by independent studies and i have a few research papers (40+ pages) that i am proud of

cidergirl

Postby cidergirl » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:01 pm

bump. tnx

Strange

Postby Strange » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:15 pm

cidergirl wrote:the most significant writing project i have done is going to also be listed in my awards section--would it be better to list something else instead? also should i really only list 1 project? my undergrad education was defined by independent studies and i have a few research papers (40+ pages) that i am proud of

Don't overthink this, it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Just do what you're comfortable with.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:19 pm

cidergirl wrote:the most significant writing project i have done is going to also be listed in my awards section--would it be better to list something else instead? also should i really only list 1 project? my undergrad education was defined by independent studies and i have a few research papers (40+ pages) that i am proud of

write about whatever sounds good within the character limit

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”