How is Boalt's Elite NYC Placement? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rickfox

New

How is Boalt's Elite NYC Placement?

Post by rickfox » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:38 pm

At Boalt I know there is a lot of self selection into public interest gigs as well firm jobs in the CA markets. But I'm just wondering is top 25%, with good WE, generally competitive for the non Wachtell/Cravath/S&C v15 firms, like they are at MVP (provided no change in the economy)? I know NALP data and Leiter's rankings don't show much Boalt representation in the NYC, coporate centric v15, but as a 0L deciding between M, B, and Cornell--at the moment--it would be really helpful if anyone had any data or anecdotes to indicate what Berkeley's actual placement power is into elite firms.

I like the idea of Boalt opening up LA and SF/SV as markets, but I'm also curious as to how much, if at all, Boalt closes doors at the top-tier nyc firms--compared to peer schools. Tyia!

bilbobaggins

Silver

Re: How is Boalt's Elite NYC Placement?

Post by bilbobaggins » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:07 pm

rickfox wrote:At Boalt I know there is a lot of self selection into public interest gigs as well firm jobs in the CA markets. But I'm just wondering is top 25%, with good WE, generally competitive for the non Wachtell/Cravath/S&C v15 firms, like they are at MVP (provided no change in the economy)? I know NALP data and Leiter's rankings don't show much Boalt representation in the NYC, coporate centric v15, but as a 0L deciding between M, B, and Cornell--at the moment--it would be really helpful if anyone had any data or anecdotes to indicate what Berkeley's actual placement power is into elite firms.

I like the idea of Boalt opening up LA and SF/SV as markets, but I'm also curious as to how much, if at all, Boalt closes doors at the top-tier nyc firms--compared to peer schools. Tyia!
Every year Boalt sends students to the top NYC firms. Not many people try to go to NYC, so if you have good grades and interview well then you have just as good a shot as individuals from Cornell and Michigan. No one will be able to quantify this to any greater accuracy.

FUBAR

New

Post by FUBAR » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:13 pm

Define elite.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:11 am

FUBAR wrote:Define elite.
rickfox wrote:At Boalt I know there is a lot of self selection into public interest gigs as well firm jobs in the CA markets. But I'm just wondering is top 25%, with good WE, generally competitive for the non Wachtell/Cravath/S&C v15 firms, like they are at MVP (provided no change in the economy)? I know NALP data and Leiter's rankings don't show much Boalt representation in the NYC, coporate centric v15, but as a 0L deciding between M, B, and Cornell--at the moment--it would be really helpful if anyone had any data or anecdotes to indicate what Berkeley's actual placement power is into elite firms.

Hmm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”