Just Graduating HS, what to do to earn a law degree?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
snarryislife

Just Graduating HS, what to do to earn a law degree?

Postby snarryislife » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:21 pm

I'm graduating HS in May of 2012, and it has been my goal since childhood to go to law school and become a Corporate Lawyer.
Is there a way that I can also, earn a degree in Accounting?
Basically, I need a degree in Corporate Law and in Accounting, where do I start?

MrKappus

Re: Just Graduating HS, what to do to earn a law degree?

Postby MrKappus » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:24 pm

snarryislife wrote:I'm graduating HS in May of 2012, and it has been my goal since childhood to go to law school and become a Corporate Lawyer.
Basically, I need a degree in Corporate Law and in Accounting, where do I start?

I would suggest getting an accounting degree and then going to law school. Except I wouldn't suggested doing that.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:24 pm

snarryislife wrote:I'm graduating HS in May of 2012, and it has been my goal since childhood to go to law school and become a Corporate Lawyer.

Do accounting, keep your grades as high as possible, drink + lots of sex, and come back in three years.

lsatcrazy

Postby lsatcrazy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:26 pm

1. Pick easy major
2. Rock the LSAT
3. ????
4. Profit

snarryislife

Postby snarryislife » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:36 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:

Do accounting, keep your grades as high as possible, drink + lots of sex, and come back in three years.

Would be great...but in three years, I'm still doing underage drinking, and with a Correctional office brother, I'd get caught.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:36 pm

There's no such thing as a "degree in corporate law". Everyone who goes to law school gets the same law degree, and big corporate law firms tend to hire primarily based on the prestige of the school. This makes going to a top-ranked law school paramount.

In order to get into the very top law schools, you need to do two things:
1) Get the best grades possible in college
2) Get a good LSAT score

I'll add some additional things that can help, and also make for good life experience anyway:
3) Do interesting things with your free time (work, volunteer, sports or academic competitions, etc.)
4) Plan on working a couple years between college and law school (having any work experience, especially experience in banking/finance, will make you a more attractive candidate when applying to law firms)

Consider what that last point means, though. If you're going to be working after graduating, that means you won't be applying to law school for at least 4-5 more years. You have plenty of time to worry about all of this, and the good news is, all the things you can do to help are also going to help you out in life even if you don't go to law school.

Well, except for the LSAT. But you won't take that until you're ready to apply, so you have a while. In the meantime, the one thing you need to focus on right now is good grades in college. Do that now, and you can handle everything else later.

paul34

Postby paul34 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:14 pm

Start by getting a 4.0 in college. Major doesn't matter. Accounting probably won't give you much of a leg up, so don't take it merely because you want to do corporate law.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:21 pm

You've known from childhood that you wanted to be a corporate lawyer?

...Do you know what they do?

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:25 pm

This is dangerous thinking. Go to college and keep yourself open to change; at least study (if not follow) whatever catches your eye and you end up loving. Following a career simply because you NEED to (outside of desire or a calling) is how you end up hating your career.

Just get good grades and enjoy college. You have so much time to eventually get to seriously considering law school.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:27 am

FryBreadPower wrote:

This is dangerous thinking. Go to college and keep yourself open to change; at least study (if not follow) whatever catches your eye and you end up loving. Following a career simply because you NEED to (outside of desire or a calling) is how you end up hating your career.

Just get good grades and enjoy college. You have so much time to eventually get to seriously considering law school.

So damn credited.

funstuff

Postby funstuff » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:36 am

So... get a BSBA in Accounting from an undergrad business school. Do really well in school, get a job in accounting, work a couple years, take LSAT, go to great law school, do well, go to OCI and dominate. Enjoy.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:40 am

^
Get an accounting degree. It's an easy fallback job plus it's not hard to maintain a high gpa.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:42 am

bhan87 wrote:Start by getting a 4.0 in college. Major doesn't matter. Accounting probably won't give you much of a leg up, so don't take it merely because you want to do corporate law.

credited. Though doing something you like in case you decide not to go/can't do decently on the lsat

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:19 am

Go on, feed the flame.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:23 am

Go away.

snarryislife

Postby snarryislife » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:55 pm

Thank you to those who gave actual advice. A question on the job answers though....
(I sound like a frikin nerd and child.....which I am...)
I'm currently 14....do I still need a permit?

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:41 pm

college grades are pretty easy to pad. just easy major/easy classes. However, you may not really learn anything during your time at school. When I look back at college, I see the grad classes I elected to take, and how i always chose challenging classes to help me become a objective, free thinking, well rounded person. My college education really helped me to grow intellectually....that being said, I have a LSAC gpa of 3.05. I'm never going to HYS, but you can. I'm not saying it was all on my classes, i wasn't as dedicated and focused as I should have been. I don't regret not padding my gpa, but you always wonder what if? So do what you want, but if you want a better shot at HYS then choose a major that is fairly easy GPA wise, but will give you a chance at a job when you graduate. My vote would be education. You take 2 years of prereqs (use ratemyprof to find the easy classes), and then you are in a teaching cohort for two years, and if you just show up every day you'll get an 4.0 every semester. My girlfriend had a 3.7. She didn't have to do as much critical thinking as other majors might, but she was pretty busy. now log off tls for the next 2 1/2 years

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:17 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:

Agreed. Enjoy college and explore several different avenues. I'd even say take a year or two to work (as an accountant or in any field, or join the Peace Corps, TFA, travel, whatever) and see what else interests you.

Also, I have to ask, is snarry a portmanteau of snape and harry (potter)?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:18 pm

The Doogie Howser of law?

snarryislife

Postby snarryislife » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:32 pm

cinephile wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:

Agreed. Enjoy college and explore several different avenues. I'd even say take a year or two to work (as an accountant or in any field, or join the Peace Corps, TFA, travel, whatever) and see what else interests you.

Also, I have to ask, is snarry a portmanteau of snape and harry (potter)?

Thank-you for the advice.

Yes, it is the portmanteau of snape and harry.

snarryislife

Postby snarryislife » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:33 pm

dailygrind wrote:The Doogie Howser of law?

Would it be horrible is I tried?

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:22 am

InGoodFaith wrote:You've known from childhood that you wanted to be a corporate lawyer?

...Do you know what they do?

I'm an attorney, and I still don't really understand what they do.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:31 pm

This whole thread depresses the fuck out of me.

chesterfan1230

Postby chesterfan1230 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:54 pm

snarryislife wrote:Thank you to those who gave actual advice. A question on the job answers though....
(I sound like a frikin nerd and child.....which I am...)
I'm currently 14....do I still need a permit?

wait you're 14 and graduating high school?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”