Attending schools NOT in NYC, Chicago, SF, etc

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Kring345

Attending schools NOT in NYC, Chicago, SF, etc

Postby Kring345 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:08 pm

Hey everyone

Quick question. Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I have a few questions about attending schools that are not in or even near to a major law market. Ex: Michigan, Duke, UVA, or Cornell.

Where and how do you live during your SA? Do you get a 3 month apt lease? Does the firm set you up somewhere?

What about 1L summers? Most of them are going to be unpaid (if you get one at all), and I feel like youre going to be at a major disadvantage if you attend Michigan, for example, in so far that you're going to have to move to a major city without an income (thereby fucking you financially). Not to mention the increased difficulty of finding that position in the first place because you are out of market.

In the end, im curious if you guys find there to be a disadvantage to attending a school like Michigan or Cornell relative to schools like NYU or Penn that are either in or at least a hop skip and a jump away from a major legal market?

**This is all in regards to gaining employment, not quality of life, etc etc. Just employment.

Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Attending schools NOT in NYC, Chicago, SF, etc

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Kring345 wrote:Hey everyone

Quick question. Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I have a few questions about attending schools that are not in or even near to a major law market. Ex: Michigan, Duke, UVA, or Cornell.

Where and how do you live during your SA? Do you get a 3 month apt lease? Does the firm set you up somewhere?

What about 1L summers? Most of them are going to be unpaid (if you get one at all), and I feel like youre going to be at a major disadvantage if you attend Michigan, for example, in so far that you're going to have to move to a major city without an income (thereby fucking you financially). Not to mention the increased difficulty of finding that position in the first place because you are out of market.

In the end, im curious if you guys find there to be a disadvantage to attending a school like Michigan or Cornell relative to schools like NYU or Penn that are either in or at least a hop skip and a jump away from a major legal market?

**This is all in regards to gaining employment, not quality of life, etc etc. Just employment.

Thanks

I worked last summer and I will work this summer in a market other than where I attend school. You can find paying 1L work if you try and the school will subsidize PI gigs to some extent. 3 month lease, cheap apartment with or w/o rommates should do you for most cities. NY I think people tend to live in NYUs law dorms.

grash

Postby grash » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:35 pm

I think most of the large firms will help set you up somewhere. I haven't been through that part of it yet, but I have doubts that the difficulty of finding an SA living space should be a significant determinant in deciding amongst law schools. Likewise, I don't think the cost differential should really be that significant - at UVA at least the cost of housing (even near the law school) is so cheap that you're probably saving money relative to people who live in a major city year round (even if you can't find someone to sublet to during the summer).

Whether or not it would affect your ability to find a job is, I think, a pretty fair question. If things go well during OCI it shouldn't make much of a difference, as you should see a fair sampling of major firms from each market regardless of which school you go to. If things go sideways or you're looking for smaller offices you start to have an issue, as smaller offices from further away will be unlikely to come to your OCI - why would they send a recruiter that far when they're looking for only 1 or 2 SA's? Beyond that, if you want to hustle up some interviews through mass mailing it becomes much more difficult to do that when you're a plane trip away - I got several interviews by telling firms that I'd be in the area soon and would love to chat with them if they had spare time. I could have done this with many, many more firms if I'd been going to school in the area where I wanted to work - the interviews I snagged like this took at least a day of my time and it wasn't possible to schedule as many of them as I would have wanted.

GMVarun

Postby GMVarun » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:58 pm

Kring345 wrote:Where and how do you live during your SA? Do you get a 3 month apt lease? Does the firm set you up somewhere?

(1) With respect to 1L summer, your logic is that if you lived in NY for school, it would be cheaper getting an apartment because you already have one. Under this world, you "save" money because you do not need to get a new apartment and sublease (pay the rent) on your school apartment. Well, under this world you are also paying more (substantially more, mind you) for your apartment for the 9 months. You can easily save money on housing for the year if you went to school in Michigan for 9 months, got an apartment in NY for 3 months the summer. Compare cost of living for 9 months between the two schools. Chicago is a tighter question. But this is relatively unimportant, we are talking only on the margins here.

(2) Since there are a wide variety of 1L jobs, and you do not have a concrete interest in a particular area of law, it really does not matter what you do. 1L summer is a chance to explore where your interests lie or where you want to live. You may have to fly out for an interview on your own dime, but generally you can interview at your home market over winter break (if you plan ahead), or you can do telephone/Sykpe interviews. Some 1L employers do not even interview at all. Since it does not really matter what you are doing, I do not think the school makes any difference for 1L jobs. Most/many people do federal judicial externships and these are either in the home market or do not require interviewing for.

(3) In terms of 2L summer, firms come to campus and then pay for callback interviews (true universally for NALP firms, but not universally true for smaller firms that do not necessarily abide by NALP). There is consequently no difference on this front. There may be differences between placement powers between some schools (who really knows but this has been debated all over this board), but the financial/placement effect of going to Michigan/Virginia v. Penn if you want to end up in NY is minimal at best.

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Great feedback everyone! Thanks!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”