0L: Summer Internships as a 1L and My Circumstances

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Ant1her0

0L: Summer Internships as a 1L and My Circumstances

Postby Ant1her0 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:11 pm

Hi guys, I just have a question about summer internships after your 1L year. I understand that in this economy a paying internship or legal job after your 1L is rarer. That's not what's bugging me.

I finished my 4 year degree in Political Science in May 2011. I chose this major as a freshman with law school in mind. I have done legal research for my Honors thesis and I can truly say that I am excited about law school and becoming an attorney. It's not something I chose on a whim and my desire hasn't been deterred by tougher present circumstances.

Instead of applying for the Fall 2011 cycle I took a year off to work and save up some money. However, I live in a small city, am a dependent, and I can't afford a place of my own. There is a large unskilled labor force where I am...K-Mart currently has 1,500 applications backlogged in their system. I've applied to every place from retail to fast food but I'm getting bumped out by people older than myself with previous work experience. I've been told due to my age (22), GPA, and a degree that hints I have higher education in mind that people will hesitate to hire and train someone they think will leave in a matter of months.

I don't have any work experience because I attended my undergrad on a full scholarship. My dad got sick and we had to deal with a number of medical bills, so when I couldn't find a job I turned to a hobby I've probably put thousands of hours into -- poker. I realize for anyone who has seen Rounders this seems ridiculously cliche, but I maintained an hourly rate of $15.25 over my four years and at the time I was concerned with making sure I had enough money and could work on a schedule that allowed me to focus on school.

I still haven't been able to land a job, but I'm continuing to save money via playing cards. Is it going to matter to those in charge of making decisions about 1L internships that I don't have experience as a walmart truck unloader or a busboy or something similar that I could put on paper? I never really thought about the effect that choosing poker for double the money would have on me (I was trying to lessen the burden of my living expenses on my dad), but it's severely damaged my ability to land a min-wage job here at the moment. Will it be equally damaging for law internships or is totally irrelevant to my chances? Is this something I can overcome with good grades and by involving myself in volunteer organizations, networking, etc. during my 1L year?

Thanks for reading. I know it's long.

ph14

Re: 0L: Summer Internships as a 1L and My Circumstances

Postby ph14 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:12 pm

Ant1her0 wrote:Hi guys, I just have a question about summer internships after your 1L year. I understand that in this economy a paying internship or legal job after your 1L is rarer. That's not what's bugging me.

I finished my 4 year degree in Political Science in May 2011. I chose this major as a freshman with law school in mind. I have done legal research for my Honors thesis and I can truly say that I am excited about law school and becoming an attorney. It's not something I chose on a whim and my desire hasn't been deterred by tougher present circumstances.

Instead of applying for the Fall 2011 cycle I took a year off to work and save up some money. However, I live in a small city, am a dependent, and I can't afford a place of my own. There is a large unskilled labor force where I am...K-Mart currently has 1,500 applications backlogged in their system. I've applied to every place from retail to fast food but I'm getting bumped out by people older than myself with previous work experience. I've been told due to my age (22), GPA, and a degree that hints I have higher education in mind that people will hesitate to hire and train someone they think will leave in a matter of months.

I don't have any work experience because I attended my undergrad on a full scholarship. My dad got sick and we had to deal with a number of medical bills, so when I couldn't find a job I turned to a hobby I've probably put thousands of hours into -- poker. I realize for anyone who has seen Rounders this seems ridiculously cliche, but I maintained an hourly rate of $15.25 over my four years and at the time I was concerned with making sure I had enough money and could work on a schedule that allowed me to focus on school.

I still haven't been able to land a job, but I'm continuing to save money via playing cards. Is it going to matter to those in charge of making decisions about 1L internships that I don't have experience as a walmart truck unloader or a busboy or something similar that I could put on paper? I never really thought about the effect that choosing poker for double the money would have on me (I was trying to lessen the burden of my living expenses on my dad), but it's severely damaged my ability to land a min-wage job here at the moment. Will it be equally damaging for law internships or is totally irrelevant to my chances? Is this something I can overcome with good grades and by involving myself in volunteer organizations, networking, etc. during my 1L year?

Thanks for reading. I know it's long.

Pay taxes. Put on your resume. What you do in your year off won't really make a difference for your 1L summer.

Ant1her0

Postby Ant1her0 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:32 pm

ph14 wrote:
Pay taxes. Put on your resume. What you do in your year off won't really make a difference for your 1L summer.

Thanks for the quick reply. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't sabotaging anything that good grades, a strong work ethic, and career services couldn't overcome in my first year.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:33 pm

Ant1her0 wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't sabotaging anything that good grades, a strong work ethic, and career services couldn't overcome in my first year.

No, definitely not!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”