1L Application materials

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

1L Application materials

Postby Gail » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:00 am

0L, and I don't know that this specific question has been asked, but what materials do you usually send when you apply for 1L summer jobs? How does the application process work? I'm only familiar with replying to jobs on my school's intranet site, which was a click and send resume deal. I understand that law jobs will ask for writing samples. What else will they ask for?

Re: 1L Application materials

Postby bdubs » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:20 am

From what I have found: Cover letter, Resume, Writing Sample, and Transcript

Not sure what else they could ask for. I heard a few ultra snobby firms ask for undergrad transcripts too, but I'm pretty sure they are too good to hire 1Ls.

Process seems to go in three rounds. First round is applicant initiated emails and resume dumps on or about December 1 (i.e. prior to grades). Round two is a follow up or additional applications in mid to late January when grades are out. Round 3 is 1L OCI which is when employers solicit applications from 1Ls, pretty sure that is in Jan/Feb.

Public interest is where are most of the jobs are though and that is mostly applicant initiated, but doesn't really get going until at least January.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”