5th year of athletics in law school?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sumner

5th year of athletics in law school?

Postby sumner » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:58 pm

(if there is a thread about this already can someone point me to it?)

I'm just wondering if any law school students are/know anyone who completed a fifth year of collegiate athletic eligibility as a 1L? I am a distance runner and I red shirted my Sophomore year of undergrad. Obviously I would quit if the work load was too much, but is it even worth trying in the Fall? Running is a little different from other sports because I could get my run in at any time of the day.

bernaldiaz

Re: 5th year of athletics in law school?

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:01 pm

sumner

Postby sumner » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:12 pm

thanks for the info! judging by that story it doesn't seem very common.

Nelson10

Postby Nelson10 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:30 pm

I'm not sure what the workload of a distance runner is. I played football and players are looking at 2-3 hours of practice a day, 1-2 hours of film study/meetings, and 1-2 hours of conditioning/agility/weight training a day. So, before you even account for games and travel your looking at close to 35 hours of work a week. This schedule is no different in the spring or summer by the way. The only breaks I've had were over the winter. This is why it's very uncommon in football. Other than the guy currently playing at ND I only know of one other who has done it. He was a kicker at Florida and I highly doubt he was required to keep the same schedule as his teammates. By no means do I mean to put down distance running but I highly doubt you are required to put in the same hours. So, your chances of doing this may be much greater than someone trying to extend their football career.

Edit: I looked into playing a 5th year of football in law school. I thought it may be easier and a lighter schedule at a lower level of play. So, I contacted WUSTL because their team is DIII and it is against DIII rules to play football (I don't know about other sports but would imagine it is no different) in law school.

super6

Postby super6 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:20 am

I have a classmate that does Ultimate Frisbee which is 6 hours of practice a week and he does just fine.

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:25 am

super6 wrote:I have a classmate that does Ultimate Frisbee which is 6 hours of practice a week and he does just fine.

FreeLolita

Postby FreeLolita » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:22 am

Nelson10 wrote:I'm not sure what the workload of a distance runner is. I played football and players are looking at 2-3 hours of practice a day, 1-2 hours of film study/meetings, and 1-2 hours of conditioning/agility/weight training a day. So, before you even account for games and travel your looking at close to 35 hours of work a week. This schedule is no different in the spring or summer by the way. The only breaks I've had were over the winter. This is why it's very uncommon in football. Other than the guy currently playing at ND I only know of one other who has done it. He was a kicker at Florida and I highly doubt he was required to keep the same schedule as his teammates. By no means do I mean to put down distance running but I highly doubt you are required to put in the same hours. So, your chances of doing this may be much greater than someone trying to extend their football career.

Edit: I looked into playing a 5th year of football in law school. I thought it may be easier and a lighter schedule at a lower level of play. So, I contacted WUSTL because their team is DIII and it is against DIII rules to play football (I don't know about other sports but would imagine it is no different) in law school.

I would imagine that the workload for a distance runner at the DI level or any level for that matter is absolute insanity. Am I right Sumner?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:59 am

Distance running & law school can work even at the D-1 level.

sumner

Postby sumner » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:44 pm

[qu
Nelson10 wrote:
I would imagine that the workload for a distance runner at the DI level or any level for that matter is absolute insanity. Am I right Sumner?

its not that bad. usually a one-hour run and some stretching and core work from 3:30-5:00. Three times a week I do an interval workout that will take longer. I usually race about five times a season on saturdays. The thing about distance running that makes it similar to D1 football is that there is really no offseason because there's XC, indoor track, and outdoor track. My coach said he can be flexible about when I do my running next year (assuming I go to the same law school as my undergrad).

right now I'm planning on training hard throughout the summer and then feeling it out once I get to Law School.

pdeturk

Postby pdeturk » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:46 pm

Martin Bingisser did it as a hammer thrower at U of Washington

sumner

Postby sumner » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:36 pm

pdeturk wrote:Martin Bingisser did it as a hammer thrower at U of Washington

yeah he was borderline world class though so throwing was definitely worth it for him because he clearly had some more potential. I'm not really a standout so i need to calculate if it will affect my grades because running next year would mostly be for my own satisfaction and enjoyment.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:38 pm

sumner wrote:
pdeturk wrote:Martin Bingisser did it as a hammer thrower at U of Washington

yeah he was borderline world class though so throwing was definitely worth it for him because he clearly had some more potential. I'm not really a standout so i need to calculate if it will affect my grades because running next year would mostly be for my own satisfaction and enjoyment.

As a 1L-- I think it would affect your grades and I would definitely not taking on that kind of commitment on top of law school, at least during 1L. But to each their own.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:41 pm

I would advise against it. Basically the only thing that matters in law school is your 1L grades, so why would you take on a commitment that would distract you from the only part of law school that is important?

sumner

Postby sumner » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:52 pm

Renzo wrote:I would advise against it. Basically the only thing that matters in law school is your 1L grades, so why would you take on a commitment that would distract you from the only part of law school that is important?

yeah you're probably right. i think i can satisfy my addiction to running without competing for the team. I am going to miss it though. :cry:

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:04 pm

Renzo wrote:I would advise against it. Basically the only thing that matters in law school is your 1L grades, so why would you take on a commitment that would distract you from the only part of law school that is important?

Disagree that it would be a distraction.. (take my opinion with a grain of salt, I am a 0L). From an ex-student-athlete, my best grades and best studying in grad school doing a dual degree came during season. With excellent organization, there should be enough time in the day for basically the OP's three hour hobby... There are students that commute to law school 1.5 hours each way on TLS. From what I hear from my other ex-teammates (5) in law school now, it sounds like there is enough time in the day for LDR as long as that becomes the only hobby/EC and you then you treat law school like a full time job (~8am-6pm).

I plan on working out in my usual maniac fashion each day during law school if I don't try to hop on as a PT GA in my sport, but we'll see how that goes... For the OP, if it doesnt work out during XC, you can always stop... (XC finals for D2 and D3 were this past weekend)

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:09 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:

Disagree that it would be a distraction.. (take my opinion with a grain of salt, I am a 0L). From an ex-student-athlete, my best grades and best studying in grad school doing a dual degree came during season. With excellent organization, there should be enough time in the day for basically the OP's three hour hobby... There are students that commute to law school 1.5 hours each way on TLS. From what I hear from my other ex-teammates (5) in law school now, it sounds like there is enough time in the day for LDR as long as that becomes the only hobby/EC and you then you treat law school like a full time job (~8am-6pm).

I plan on working out in my usual maniac fashion each day during law school if I don't try to hop on as a PT GA in my sport, but we'll see how that goes... For the OP, if it doesnt work out during XC, you can always stop... (XC finals for D2 and D3 were this past weekend)

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:19 pm

ph14 -- that's a jerk move. I was trying to walk through the thought process that I will also be making in trying to be a PT GA next year (as I mentioned in my previous post).

Had dinner tonight with current 1Ls and 2Ls who were talking about what tv shows they are still about to watch each week --- and it was a lot of TV. If I had the opportunity between continuing my sport or watching netflix each night... I would pick my sport.

As I said, trying to do LDR sounds similar to the commuter threads that are on these boards continuously... and from those that have long commutes to LS, they have said it's manageable, but not too fun and requires tons of organization.

sumner

Postby sumner » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:20 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:

this is also another consideration. If I wanted to try just XC it would be over well before finals.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:23 pm

sumner wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:

this is also another consideration. If I wanted to try just XC it would be over well before finals.

PMd

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:31 pm

I think there was at least one other thread on running for a team in law school - I haven't been able to find it. I think the consensus was the same- it might be too time consuming or it might not be too time consuming- depending on your organizational skills, ability to stuck to a crazy schedule day after day, etc.

One thing I would add- law school is so much different from undergrad that it is hard to predict how you will do. You can't just work as hard or harder than eryone else and do well. You have to find out what study style works best for you. You may even do very well with studying less than others but there is no certain way to knowthat until after finals. And having a sport may help you maintain focus and stay sane. I guess I'm saying that don't expect law school experience will be anything like undergrad. The curve is a bitch for everyone.

If you pull it off and do well, you will have a good discussion point at OCI.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:16 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:ph14 -- that's a jerk move. I was trying to walk through the thought process that I will also be making in trying to be a PT GA next year (as I mentioned in my previous post).

Had dinner tonight with current 1Ls and 2Ls who were talking about what tv shows they are still about to watch each week --- and it was a lot of TV. If I had the opportunity between continuing my sport or watching netflix each night... I would pick my sport.

As I said, trying to do LDR sounds similar to the commuter threads that are on these boards continuously... and from those that have long commutes to LS, they have said it's manageable, but not too fun and requires tons of organization.

It really wasn't a jerk move; it's just that your advice is terrible.

I strongly encourage the OP to keep running, and I encourage you to keep training. But, as you will find out soon enough, it's laughable to think that it would be OP's only hobby/extracurricular activity. Law school comes with all kinds of very stressful built-in "extracurriculars"; it's not just going to class and studying. And that's not at all to say that there isn't time for life outside of law school; the problem is with having additional commitments outside of law school. Finding time to work out regularly is not the same as having a set schedule of competitions you need to train for and attend.

Most importantly, there's the risk v. reward calculus. Getting really good 1L grades opens the door to a lifetime of career opportunities that are completely foreclosed to students with just slightly less good grades. Is the potential success and earnings over a lifetime worth one year of college athletics? And if the answer is yes, then the better solution would be to enroll in a non-law program, get your sports fix, then apply to law school when you can take it seriously.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:10 pm

Renzo, I understand what you're saying. and I (and as sunynp noted, possibly other TLSers) disagree. LDR, and specifically XC, unlike a traditional team sport, is one of few sports that has a chance to work with a 1L schedule. It has more flexible scheduling for both training and the meets than other sports. Just to see where you are coming from, were you a student-athlete?

I PM'd the OP because I think we are both looking to see if anyone has actually pursued the options that we will have as 1Ls.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:33 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:Renzo, I understand what you're saying. and I (and as sunynp noted, possibly other TLSers) disagree. LDR, and specifically XC, unlike a traditional team sport, is one of few sports that has a chance to work with a 1L schedule. It has more flexible scheduling for both training and the meets than other sports. Just to see where you are coming from, were you a student-athlete?

I PM'd the OP because I think we are both looking to see if anyone has actually pursued the options that we will have as 1Ls.

No, I actually went back to college to finish my degree in part because I got old and my sports "career" (in the loosest sense of that word) came to an end. But, for perspective, when I did go back to college, I was working 50 hrs/wk on the night shift, and doing about 20 hrs a month of contract work on the weekends, while taking full-time classes (and still training recreationally). Despite that experience, I would not have wanted to have any other firm commitments as a 1L.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”