0L Resume for 1L Summer Positions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Gail

0L Resume for 1L Summer Positions

Postby Gail » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:20 am

During UG, I have had no internships (that might change this week), I have had menial jobs and have been somewhat involved in school - not many leadership positions.

Am I screwed to get 1L internships? How much will a senior internship help? Summer internship?

Gail

Re: 0L Resume for 1L Summer Positions

Postby Gail » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:57 am

i.e. i'm screwed.

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:04 pm

Gail wrote:During UG, I have had no internships (that might change this week), I have had menial jobs and have been somewhat involved in school - not many leadership positions.

Am I screwed to get 1L internships? How much will a senior internship help? Summer internship?

No, and not much.

HTH

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:40 am

Don't worry, I doubt having no undergrad work experience will hurt you. Obtaining an internship for your 1L summer will be based on your performance in your first semester of law school. Also, networking is extremely important. Take advantage of winter break after your first year and have lunch or coffee with attorneys here and there. Keep in mind though, not many 1Ls get positions at law firms, so a great alternative would be obtaining a judicial externship. Go meet a few clerks and get to know them, they do all the hiring.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”