Any UW-Seattle students?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
hookem12

Any UW-Seattle students?

Postby hookem12 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:13 pm

I'm applying to UW Seattle but would really like to hear from current students. I have family in Richland, WA, so I'm going to take a day trip and visit the school over Christmas break, and I'm familiar with Seattle already. Stats are a 3.65 and 169, I'm applying to other schools but I am very interested in employment prospects with a JD from UW. Can any current students tell me what they like/don't like/love about the school? Thanks, and go huskies!

rinkrat19

Re: Any UW-Seattle students?

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:29 pm

You do know that Richland is a 200-mile drive from Seattle, right?

hookem12

Postby hookem12 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:10 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:You do know that Richland is a 200-mile drive from Seattle, right?

I do - luckily I'm used to driving 4 hours to get anywhere - perhaps a better expression would be an overnight trip, rather than a day trip.

barrydukakis

Postby barrydukakis » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:49 pm

Current 2L. Anything in particular you are curious about?

CaptAdams

Postby CaptAdams » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:38 am

barrydukakis wrote:Current 2L. Anything in particular you are curious about?

I got in and am probably going. What's the school like? Neighborhood? Competition? Job scene?

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:15 pm

CaptAdams wrote:

I got in and am probably going. What's the school like? Neighborhood? Competition? Job scene?

I can only speak to the neighborhood (0L, but I live in Seattle). It's very much geared toward undergrads: a lot of bars with lenient ID policies, expensive but crappy apartments, loud at night, etc. There are definitely some great things too, like delicious cheap ethnic food, some fun and unique stores, etc. I'm not sure if you've ever been to Berkeley, but the vibe is very similar.

If you decide to attend, consider living in Ravenna/Wallingford/Madison Park instead - all of those are neighborhoods close to UW which are much more sedate (and safer, although safety isn't usually a HUGE issue in the U-district.)

hookem12

Postby hookem12 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:21 am

Do a lot of the students tend to work in Seattle after graduation, or are there a fair amount taking the bar to work work in other states? Also, does UW have more of a focus toward specific fields of law?

I'm also interested in the quality of life Seattle has to offer. I've spent a good deal of time there, but never as a student, so I'm curious to see if it's an ideal place to study for the next 3 years (commute times, decent apartments around the school, extracurricular activities for keeping sane when not studying).

barrydukakis

Postby barrydukakis » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:02 pm

CaptAdams wrote:

Don't have a ton of time, atm, apologies for imperfect grammar/typos.

School: I really like UW to be honest. It's right in the heart of the Ave, which has all sorts of cheap food and dives to go for a beer or two. Yeah, it can be a little undergrad heavy, but you'll be with law students anyways. And to be honest, having undergrads around is kind of a stress reliever. The school itself is very nice. Library is great, classrooms are great. Very comfortable place to get work done. One ding here: your options for hanging out with other students at the law school itself are not that great... there's a small cafe and an occasional nook with a chair or two, but that's about it. I actually don't mind this: it's because UW Law really prides itself on serving the public, which means the library gets a pretty steady stream of underprivileged individuals... having a ton of comfortable easy to access seating would actually probably make it a little TOO appealing. And not to worry, there is plenty of student-only study space if you're worried about that. Faculty and administration are great. There's always going to be issues, but they are working to correct them.

Neighborhood: I think I touched on that above, but on the whole, it's great. You definitely have to be a little more careful around certain times in terms of being aware of your surroundings and what you say to people, because there's not only undergrads and undeprivileged, but also some sketchier types. Not at the law school itself, but definitely in surrounding streets. And yes, undergrads tend to be everywhere, but to be honest, if you move farther north in the U-District there's a much more relaxed vibe and quite a few people live within a 15-20 minute walk in that area.

Competition: I think this is what really sets UW Law apart. The competitive level is very relaxed compared to most schools. People collaborate, work together, grab beers/coffee, you name it. There's still a strict curve 1L year, but it's actually pegged at a much higher level than most schools, meaning a C is really exceptional and anything lower than a B is rare. Also, there is no class ranking until AFTER your 2L year, which is rare. This means an employer only sees your individual grades, and combined with the lenient curve, this is an overall good thing for you. It was so good for UW Law students, in fact, that Seattle U had to change their curve this year to mirror ours: outside of the rankings and placement, I think a lot of the students that should have been competitive from a class-rank perspective were losing out to UW Law students because of a lower GPA. I think part of it is the Seattle vibe, but the library is often empty, even at high-stress times. This means if you're willing to put in the work, there's a significant chance you'll do well in your classes, especially vis-a-vis gunner schools. Everyone is pretty friendly, the SBA is very active with social gatherings and the like. It's law school, so of course you'll be stressed, but I feel like less so at UW than other schools where some of my friends are.

Job Scene: Someone asked about going out of Seattle. First, not a ton do that... most want to stay in the PNW. That being said, people do leave and are pretty successful in doing so. Non LR people go to vault firms, if they have great grades. The lenient curve and lack of class rank helps with this, I think. XYZ firm in NY may not realize how great our curve is, treating a 3.7 here like a 3.7 from anywhere else, which is a good thing. But, for the record, you're probably better off at a school in the particular market you're looking at. Just realize that at UW you'll have a higher GPA than you otherwise would, class rank being equal, than at other schools. Not a bad thing.

One thing that surprised me a little is that Portland can be very hard to get to from UW. Conventional knowledge=UW dominates PNW. Truth, not so much Portland. You'll need significant ties to get into that market from UW, most likely. Looking at firm summers will support this: mostly from top of class at Lewis and Clark and Oregon with occasional UW and T14. I think this is partly because Portland's legal market is TINY.

Outside of that, you'll need, ballpark, top 10% for a interview with opportunity to land job at the biggest Seattle firms, and probably top 33% for smaller firms (Seattle has a very strong mid-law market, imho, which is really nice). Just realize there are only 16 true big law spots (Perkins, K&L, and Davis Wright Tremaine) total (plus satellites, if you count that, 10 more spots), and probably half total end up being UW Law students, couple Seattle U students, rest T14, or superstar at peer UW school. I do feel like there's a little bit more pressure from T14 graduates coming in to Seattle's banner firms. Incredible places to work, with great pay, in a beautiful location, with more of a focus on work/life balance, where you can live on Bainbridge in an incredible house and take the ferry to work every day for a 40 minute commute. Go figure. Plus, very healthy corporate side exit options: Amazon, Costco, Microsoft, Nordstrom, Starbucks, and more.

Other random thoughts/answers

UW has a pretty heavy focus on public interest and serving the global common good. This plays out in our scholarship programs (Gates PSL), courses, and graduation requirements. I'm doing firm work (barring a collapse this summer), but I enjoy the public service aspect. Because of this emphasis, I feel like a higher proportion of students than usual are pursuing public interest/not firm work, which helps curve/placement wise if you're interested in firm work: quite a few students self select out, guessing more than at peer schools.

Seattle has a great live music/artist/microbrew scene. If you're big into life outside of school, Capitol Hill is where to live. But, honestly, this my one recommendation: live close to school the first year, that should be your priority.

Several neighborhoods are great and have very reasonable commute times. Some people live way far out, as in Tacoma or across the Sound. So a few ferry commuters (UW is harder to get to from a ferry than the downtown firms), if you want to live someplace incredible... understanding it will take you a little longer to get to school.

Hopefully that touches on most everything. I'll try and check in to update if there's anything else.

hookem12

Postby hookem12 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:00 pm

Thanks to barrydukakis for the excellent info. Hit on most everything I've been wondering about UW!

barrydukakis

Postby barrydukakis » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:59 am

I'll bump this for prospective students. 2L that feels pretty comfortable speaking for the firm/clerking side of things.

NYDCKid2014

Postby NYDCKid2014 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:43 am

Can any of the UW students talk about the on campus housing options? also does UW offer In state for people who establish residency in Seattle?

barrydukakis

Postby barrydukakis » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:35 am

Hmmm... On campus housing. I actually do not know anyone that has done this. That being said, it is there, and UW actually just put in some new units really close to the law school for grad students... I'm sure if you tool around on the website you can find it.

I'm pretty sure in-state residency is no longer much of an option. Residency has always been tough to establish, but in the past there was waivers for 2l/3l year, and those are gone now. But be sure to check with fin. aid on this one.

skitlets

Postby skitlets » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:41 am

Can anyone touch on finding work in California? I'm genuinely interested in attending UW and will be visiting in April. Feel like I need to get out of California for a bit but I wish to work in the Bay Area upon graduation.

HuskyHopeful1

Postby HuskyHopeful1 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:49 pm

What were your numbers entering?

UW has been my dream school ever since graduating high school and now that I'm on the brink of my application process I'm hoping there is still a chance for someone with sub-par numbers as far as UW is concerned. Already planning to retake the LSAT in October and hearing that UW averages scores makes it even harder. With an initial score of 147 and GPA of 3.33 admission into UW seems almost impossible, but even that isn't enough to break my "UW or bust" attitude. Any thoughts?

princeR

Postby princeR » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:31 pm

HuskyHopeful1 wrote:

UW has been my dream school ever since graduating high school and now that I'm on the brink of my application process I'm hoping there is still a chance for someone with sub-par numbers as far as UW is concerned. Already planning to retake the LSAT in October and hearing that UW averages scores makes it even harder. With an initial score of 147 and GPA of 3.33 admission into UW seems almost impossible, but even that isn't enough to break my "UW or bust" attitude. Any thoughts?

Uhhh, ya, 147/3.3 has ZERO chance. You will need at least a 165 to stand a chance.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:00 pm

HuskyHopeful1 wrote:UW has been my dream school ever since graduating high school and now that I'm on the brink of my application process I'm hoping there is still a chance for someone with sub-par numbers as far as UW is concerned. Already planning to retake the LSAT in October and hearing that UW averages scores makes it even harder. With an initial score of 147 and GPA of 3.33 admission into UW seems almost impossible, but even that isn't enough to break my "UW or bust" attitude. Any thoughts?

You need to hit median to be competitive.

HuskyHopeful1

Postby HuskyHopeful1 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:54 am

princeR wrote:
HuskyHopeful1 wrote:

Uhhh, ya, 147/3.3 has ZERO chance. You will need at least a 165 to stand a chance.

As previously stated, I don't intend on applying with the 147 and am retaking in October. Can anyone reasonably explain why UW of all T1 schools averages instead of taking the highest score? Seems like they would lean more toward this policy with the substantial drop in applicants.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:35 am

HuskyHopeful1 wrote:
princeR wrote:
HuskyHopeful1 wrote:

As previously stated, I don't intend on applying with the 147 and am retaking in October. Can anyone reasonably explain why UW of all T1 schools averages instead of taking the highest score? Seems like they would lean more toward this policy with the substantial drop in applicants.

They dont average. Maintaining medians for USNWR is too importaint for them to actually handicap themseleves like that.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”